Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Overcoming lazyness

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Ambrose

Lazyness. The ultimate opponent of anything productive. I'm a freshman high school student and I am clobbered by this on a daily basis, my intelligence level is sky high, maybe genius if I took an IQ test and one of the best in my HS. But sorry I'm not here to boast and brag I'm trying to make a point :lol, despite this, I'm INCREDIBLY lazy. I'm a horrible procrastinator and even though I motivate myself when I'm not at work, as soon as work time comes I forget all that and am back t o square one. I still manage to scrape by on homework and get fantastic grades overall. Is there a way to beat this? I've been plagued with this my whole life so far and I plan to go to Med school for an M.D. Doing so is going to take much more drive to get in and especially through than what I'm showing. Is there ways to overcome this PERMANENTLY?

If you consistently deliver excellent results at the appointed time, I don't see where the problem is. I got through school and go through life with this quote in mind:

From stones and poets
You may know
That nothing so active is
As that which least seems so.
~S. Thompson

I have this trouble as well. I've had a lifelong habit of laziness, and I feel like because I failed to form good habits of getting work done right away when I was younger, that that only makes it harder now. It was only a couple of years ago that I even tried to do better. And while I've definitely made progress since then, I still feel like I have a long way to go.

Find things that will help to keep you from puting it off. Like, what distracts you from work? Computers? Video games? Time with friends? Save them for after your work is done. Think of them as rewards, as in you have to work to be able to do them. That's all I can really say.

I have a notebook I keep all sorts of inspirational stuff in.

I ran across this just now and remembered your post. These are the notes I have jotted down on page two of my notebook

- Make goal and plans that I can measure

-Mentally prepare myself
Proverbs 14:23 "In all labor there is profit"
A body in motion tends to stay in motion
Discipline is a matter of the mind.
I choose how to spend my time and energy
Lord help me to master myself so that I may be servant to others.

List why I am doing what I am doing
By listing the reasons why what I am doing is important, it will help motivate me. Being motivated will help take care of the self discipline

Develop a Routine
helps stop procrastination
saves time
help me to form good habits
helps form self discipline
insures the most important task are taken care of

To win any battle you must win the battle in your mind. Your mind is the only thing that stops you from reaching any goal.

(These may be notes from a book I read or just stuff from here and there I picked up along life's way)

I also found 2 copies of this in my notebook. I must need it badly!:gah

John MacArthur’s Tips for Self-Discipline

1. Begin with small things. Learn to discipline yourself in small things because these lead to big things.
  2. Clean your environment. Clean your desk, room, house, garage, etc. Become discontent with a mess in general. Get to the place that orderliness matters.
  3. Make a schedule and learn to conform to it. You only have so much time in this life. You should budget it just like you do other limited resources like money.
  4. Wean yourself off of being entertained. Entertainment is often a time-thief. To be self-disciplined, entertainment must become something that you can take or leave. Train yourself to do things that are productive when you have excess time. Read, take a walk, plant flowers, have a conversation.
  5. Be on time. Order your little universe so that you can get to where you are supposed to be on time and in your right mind.
  6. Keep your word, even in the littlest things. Do things when you say you will and how you say you will. This calls for discipline before and after you make the commitment. Discipline before you make a commitment is required so that you do not over-commit yourself, and discipline after is required to fulfill the commitment.
  7. Do the hardest task first. It is probably the most important.
  8. Finish what you start. If you start it, finish it.
  9. Practice self-denial just for the sake of self-denial. It reminds you that you are in charge of you.
  10. Volunteer. Forces you to leave a little space in your life and forces you to order your life such that you have a little extra time to do something that is not part of your agenda.

Great post P31--MacArthur's suggestions are spot on--having struggled with laziness myself, Ineed to take those to heart :)

My personal coach sent me the "clean sweep program" developed by Thomas J. Leonard (founder of Coach University), and I found it incredibly helpful.
This program can be found on the Net http://betterme.org/cleansweep.html
You need an accountability partner to make sure you keep up with your goals.;)

Great post P31 that helps a lot. Because despite "getting it done"' I want to be sure I'll get things done with solidity rather than just winging it. I may not always manage to finish at the last second. So thanks for all the tips and advice.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back