Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Paul’s ministry to the disaster stricken in Jerusalem

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

adam332

[I think it should be noted that this area of scripture was talked about in another thread here....http://www.christianforums.net/showthread.php?t=54010]

Paul’s ministry to the disaster stricken in Jerusalem

If you look at a timeline of Paul’s life there was an extensive famine in Palestine around 53-58 AD. This had been prophesied by Agabus many years prior.

Acts 11:27-30 And in these days came prophets from Jerusalem unto Antioch. And there stood up one of them named Agabus, and signified by the Spirit that there should be great dearth throughout all the world: which came to pass in the days of Claudius Caesar. Then the disciples, every man according to his ability, determined to send relief unto the brethren which dwelt in Judaea: Which also they did, and sent it to the elders by the hands of Barnabas and Saul.

It is in Paul’s letter to Galatia, he first alludes to his involvement with helping the needy in Jerusalem. Paul was bringing relief to the victims of this disaster, which became a clear part of Paul’s ministry.

Gal. 2:10 Only they would that we should remember the poor; the same which I also was forward to do.

He then tells us this is the same need that he is soliciting those in Corinth

1 Cor. 16:1-4 Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye. Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come. And when I come, whomsoever ye shall approve by your letters, them will I send to bring your liberality unto Jerusalem. And if it be meet that I go also, they shall go with me.

Finally, he writes to the Romans prior to his coming there, also soliciting them on behalf of those victims in Jerusalem.

Rom. 15:24-26 Whensoever I take my journey into Spain, I will come to you: for I trust to see you in my journey, and to be brought on my way thitherward by you, if first I be somewhat filled with your company. But now I go unto Jerusalem to minister unto the saints. For it hath pleased them of Macedonia and Achaia to make a certain contribution for the poor saints which are at Jerusalem.

He then went on to Jerusalem with carriages of goods he had collected for the needy.

Acts 21:15-17 And after those days we took up our carriages, and went up to Jerusalem. There went with us also certain of the disciples of Caesarea, and brought with them one Mnason of Cyprus, an old disciple, with whom we should lodge. And when we were come to Jerusalem, the brethren received us gladly.

Then of course we know, that soon after his arrival to Jerusalem he is challenged for his actions and is arrested.

As you can see there is no indication in 1Cor. 16:1-4 that setting aside donations on the first day, for the needy during a disaster, has anything to do with a religious service or setting. Nor can it possibly be construed as holding evidence for a new worship day, or tithing.

More than likely Paul's letter was read to the believers in Corinth, on the Sabbath. This would be similar today to a church bulletin having an announcement saying that “The rec-center will be open tomorrow for “Disaster Relief Donations”.

On a side note I would like to add an observation about the events after Paul arrived.

When Paul came to Jerusalem with donations for the needy he was told there were thousands of Jewish converts who were zealous for the law. However they had heard that Paul had forsaken Moses and the customs of his kinsman. His closeness to the Gentiles had not gone unnoticed either. So, not wanting to offend them and prove that he hadn't abandoned Moses they offered him a solution. They had four men who had taken a Nazarite vow (Num. 6:13-20) and suggested that Paul join them in the customs of this vow to show the people he had not abandoned Moses and the customs. Since he also had taken the vow, (Acts 18:18), he joined them in the purification offerings so that he would gain their confidence. It failed, about a week later he was beaten and taken into custody.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then of course we know, that soon after his arrival to Jerusalem he is challenged for his actions and is arrested.

As you can see there is no indication in 1Cor. 16:1-4 that setting aside donations on the first day, for the needy during a disaster, has anything to do with a religious service or setting. Nor can it possibly be construed as holding evidence for a new worship day, or tithing.

More than likely Paul's letter was read to the believers in Corinth, on the Sabbath. This would be similar today to a church bulletin having an announcement saying that “The rec-center will be open tomorrow for “Disaster Relief Donations”.

What's the thread about then? Some Sabbath day or Paul helping out with disaster relief.

Well I saw the other thread, and it kinda' indicated that Paul came to Jerusalem to spread the news about the Gentile converts. So since I had already some knowledge on that particular area I wanted to set the record straight. I'm not sure that I have seen many who followed Paul's letters enough to see this consistent portion of his ministry. I realized that after people kept using the passage in 1Cor for 1st day worship out of context of the bigger picture of Paul's ministry. Even most Sabbatarians I know had not made those connections form start of ministry to finish.

The answer to your question it is about the title of the thread, Paul's ministry. If it stops people use of 1Cor out of context then that is just a bonus.

Thank you, you confirmed my thought.
God bless,
w

Why does that sound like you were suspicious instead of curious? :shrug

I felt the same confusion as Brother Mike about the subject of the thread. At first I thought you were advocating the "saints only" position, then realized you must be advocating the Sabbath. It did not, however, dissuade me of the 1st day of the week.
God bless,
w

Well that is a good thing. We should never close ourselves to Biblical concepts, because the Holy Spirit may have more to say or use another to say it.

Did it dissuade you from including that passage as a proof text?
xx

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that is a good thing. We should never close ourselves to Biblical concepts, because the Holy Spirit may have more to say or use another to say it.

Did it dissuade you from including that passage as a proof text?
xx

Hi Adam
Please note that I didn't make the above quote attributed to me. Also, I do not believe according to the scripture that the Holy Spirit speaks today with further revelation, such instructive revelation was completed with the NT.

God bless,
w

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back