Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Pentecostal Christian

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
All the lols aside have you guys ever seen the rolling on the floor?

I have ....

If Granny Alexander couldn't get I'll Fly Away sung a million times with the tempo rising... get to foot stompen, shoutin, jumpin she didn't think she had been to church! and each one had to out 'worship' the other....

It was not worshipful to these young eye or ears.

I have also been part of the real...

You "heard" about people like me? Consider yourself lucky. Imagine if you saw what we do at the church basement in the "locked" dark room in the corner! HAHA

Rain, Jesus, Reign!

Be blessed, Stay blessed, and be Bold!
:biglol:wave hi
Nice to meet you! Holy Ghost filled, fire baptized, devil stompin, Bible totin Christian here :biggrin

taken from dictionary.com

Pen·te·cos·tal<SUP></SUP>

[pen-ti-kaw-stuh
thinsp.png
l, -stl, -kos-tuh
thinsp.png
l, -tl-]
–adjective

1. of or pertaining to Pentecost.

2. noting or pertaining to any of various Christian groups, usually fundamentalist, that emphasize the activity of the holy spirit, stress holiness of living, and express their religious feelings uninhibitedly, as by speaking in tongues.

I'm not a Pentecostal. But, if I were, I'd feel insulted by that dictionary entry. It says tongues is an uninhibited expression of feelings.

OK, I was raised in an ultra liberal Disciples of Christ Christian Church that had taken every mention of the trinity out of the hymnals. Imagine singing Holy Holy Holy without menioning the Trinity!
When our small children started begging to go to Sunday School during the summer, we attended an AOG since our neighbor was the pastor. The strangest thing I heard there was at a back stage prayer meeting prior to the service. Everyone started groaning and moaning! It seemed more like a tradition or a fleshly thing than a spiritual thing. But they did mention the good old days when they didn't think the pastor was Spiritual unless he could jump the first 3 pews!

Most Pentecostals don't even understand everything about Pentecost.

All they understand is the Pentecost of Acts. And then they cling to speaking in tongues. Some denominations, such as AoG, won't allow you to hold office without evidence Baptism of the Holy Spirit, with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues. I should know, I was raised AoG. AoG doesn't believe you've received the Holy Spirit without speaking in tongues.

Very few Christians understand that Pentecost was celebrated by the Jews for thousands of years before Jesus. Judaism calls Pentecost "Shavuot", and it is one of the Feasts of the Lord in Lev. 23.

Pentecost is actually derived from Pente, which means 50.

Pentacost is celebrated fifty days after Easter (The feast of First Fruits).

SHHH.... Don't tell the Christians that they're celebrating one of the Lord's Feasts, by celebrating Pentecost. They may decide that they've come under the Law.

Jews celebrate Shavuot as the first time Moses received the Law and came down from the mountain. 3000 people were killed that day because they were worshiping the golden calf. Interestingly enough, 3000 people were saved on the first Pentecost after Christ's resurrection.

This is a beautiful illustration of how observing the Letter of the Law brings death, but observing the Spirit of the Law brings Eternal Life.

I should know, I was raised AoG. AoG doesn't believe you've received the Holy Spirit without speaking in tongues.

The AoG doesn't believe you've received the Holy Spirit without speaking in tongues. I should know. I checked the doctrinal statement on their website.

SHHH.... Don't tell the Christians that they're celebrating one of the Lord's Feasts, by celebrating Pentecost. They may decide that they've come under the Law.

Two points: 1. I don't think Pentecostals are celebrating one of the Feasts. They're merely using the events during Pentecost in Acts as a model for their beliefs. 2. It's becoming popular among Christians to celebrate the Feasts. So, your point might be something they're proud of.

Jews celebrate Shavuot as the first time Moses received the Law and came down from the mountain. 3000 people were killed that day because they were worshiping the golden calf. Interestingly enough, 3000 people were saved on the first Pentecost after Christ's resurrection.

This is a beautiful illustration of how observing the Letter of the Law brings death, but observing the Spirit of the Law brings Eternal Life.

It is poetic, at the very least.

The AoG doesn't believe you've received the Holy Spirit without speaking in tongues. I should know. I checked the doctrinal statement on their website.

Two points: 1. I don't think Pentecostals are celebrating one of the Feasts. They're merely using the events during Pentecost in Acts as a model for their beliefs. 2. It's becoming popular among Christians to celebrate the Feasts. So, your point might be something they're proud of.

Read the Bible...it will explain it to you..checking doctrinal statements and websites?

But I will tarry at Ephesus until Pentecost. 9 For a great door and effectual is opened unto me, and there are many adversaries. 1 Cor 16:8-9 (KJV)

Pentecost was fifty days after the Passover. The Passover of the next year, he was in Jerusalem. This letter was written between the Passover and Pentecost the year previous to this last trip to Jerusalem. The reason given for remaining was that there was a good opening for preaching the gospel, and many ready to hear and obey.—Gospel Advocate Commentaries

For Paul had determined to sail by Ephesus, because he would not spend the time in Asia: for he hasted, if it were possible for him, to be at Jerusalem the day of Pentecost. Acts 20:16 (KJV)

If Paul could get to Jerusalem by Pentecost he could present the gifts of the Gentile churches in the presence of the great crowd of foreign Jews who would assemble in Jerusalem at the Pentecostal feast, and thus spread abroad in all lands the great fact that the Gentile Christians were one with their Jewish brethren; this would impress them that the disciples of the Lord were one body.
—Gospel Advocate Commentaries

<dir>Exo 32:27

And he said unto them, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, Put every man his sword by his side, and go in and out from gate to gate throughout the camp, and slay every man his brother, and every man his companion, and every man his neighbour.
Exo 32:28

And the children of Levi did according to the word of Moses: and there fell of the people that day about three thousand men.

When the" Letter" of the Law was given 3000 died!

<dir>Act 2:41

Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

When the Spirit was given 3000 was saved!
</dir>
Pentecost

Meaning fiftieth;

because occurring on the fiftieth day, calculated from the second day of unleavened bread. In the Old Testament it is called the feast of weeks, and the feast of harvest. Its primary object was to thank God for the blessings of harvest.

Here is the picture! By the Law man reaped death!
By the death of Christ, man reaped Life!
Rom 6:23

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

In biblical numbers, 50 is the number of perfect law!
Here we have the beginning of the New Testament!:chin

</dir>

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back