Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

piercings

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Riniel

Okay, so.. I was curious. I want to get my septum pierced, and I feel that getting a piercing isn't going to make my faith in God any less. A lot of people in the Christian faith are against piercings, but for some reason getting your ears pierced isn't a big deal to a lot of Christians. Your ears are a piece of flesh, like my septum is and you're stabbing a hole into your body when you pierce your ears. Why do people think pierced ears are any different than me getting my septum pierced?

Also, what is your opinion about my desire to pierce my septum?

i think there unattractive and you will hardly find a job that will like it.
but thats just me.

doesnt the Biblw have a few verses on stuff like this?

One thing that most Christians don't understand, is some piercings, like the septum is one of the easiest piercings to hide. You can flip the horseshoe up, and you can't even see it. You can also get retainers, which are little plugs to keep the piercing from closing up, and in the septum you can't even see the retainer. I'm a graphic designer, and I work for myself, so I don't need to worry about jobs, but if I did, like I said, I can conceal it and you can't even see the piercing. These days most employers don't have issues with piercings. They pierce the septum up, kind of inside the nose, so I'd literally have to move my nostrils around just to see the hole of the piercing. That's why I want to get it, because if I ever take it out (which I don't know why I would, they are freaking rad!), there would be no visible scar left behind.

Why do I want my septum pierced? Because they are cute. I like them. Why do people wear certain clothes, or obtain certain hobbies, or wear their hair a certain way? If someone wants to do something, likely the answer will be, because I like it, and I want to do it..

I don't think the bible talks about piercing your body.. I've never read any verses talking about it.

So, since I can see most people are going to be against this, how many of you have your ears pierced? and don't tell me that having your ears pierced isn't relevant, or "it isn't the same thing".. and how many of you have one, or more tattoos?

It's not something I'd personally do, but if you have thought it through well (and it appears you have) and you want to do it, I don't see why you shouldn't.:)

There are a couple of bible passages that speak to this issue... these came out during the many tattoo debates...

First one, here is the Lord Himself speaking to Israel as His beloved:

I also swore to you and entered into a covenant with you so that you became Mine,†declares the Lord God. <sup class="versenum"></sup>“Then I bathed you with water, washed off your blood from you and anointed you with oil. I also clothed you with embroidered cloth and put sandals of porpoise skin on your feet; and I wrapped you with fine linen and covered you with silk. I adorned you with ornaments, put bracelets on your hands and a necklace around your neck. I also put a ring in your nostril, earrings in your ears and a beautiful crown on your head. Ezekiel 16:8-12

Also, when Abraham's servant determined that Rebecca was the bride for Issac, one of the gifts he adorned her with was a nose ring. It seems as if a nose ring was a common adornment for brides, much like our wedding band is.

At any rate, if the Lord speaks so lovingly of adorning His own bride with a nose ring, there is nothing intrinsically wrong with them.

Go ahead and get one if you like.

Aww thank you very much Dora! This is why I love you, you always know the right answer.

I know that if I get this piercing, people are going to stare at me, but I honestly don't care. I live in a relatively "liberal" state, and city, I just wish people of faith could understand that just because I like jewelry, in my nose, doesn't mean I'm turning to Satan, or abandoning my faith in God. I love God, and Christ just as much as I always have. I've even prayed about this with God, and Dora's knowledge of that verse, I think was my answer.

I've been googling this a lot lately, and many Christian websites are against piercings. They claim that by piercing yourself, or getting a tattoo, that you are becoming of the world, and God doesn't want his children to be involved in worldly activities. I think most of these websites are going off their own opinion, and not following God's word, or seeking out the truth of what it says.

Before I wrote this thread, I thought I had read in the bible before about nose rings. I also think it is an old Jewish tradition for women to pierce their nose. In India when a woman gets married, she will pierce her nose as a symbol of marriage. However, even young girls will have their nose pierced, and depending on the type of jewelry used, the piercing will signify her status. It's not just for married women.

Anyway, thank you very much Dora. I feel that I've received my answer from God, that it's okay to get my septum pierced. I just hope my family doesn't ostracise me, or think bad things about me. Some of my family are extreme with the bible, and they are very judgemental. I guess I could point them to that scripture, but I'm sure they'd still find something wrong with it.

In my experience, most Christians are against anything outside their comfort zone.

If you want to get the piercing, get it. If anyone tells you it's sinful, evil, or whatever, tell them that [whatever they are wearing]<whatever they're="" wearing=""> is sinful and evil.

One of the benefits might be that the more open-minded members of your church or community might notice that God can work through all different people.

BTW, I've had snakebites since I was 11 lol. When I take them out nobody even notices. The only advice I have is to ask them to open the needle in your presence.</whatever>

In my experience, most Christians are against anything outside their comfort zone.

If you want to get the piercing, get it. If anyone tells you it's sinful, evil, or whatever, tell them that [whatever they are wearing]<whatever they're="" wearing=""> is sinful and evil.

One of the benefits might be that the more open-minded members of your church or community might notice that God can work through all different people.

BTW, I've had snakebites since I was 11 lol. When I take them out nobody even notices. The only advice I have is to ask them to open the needle in your presence.</whatever>

ROFL.. I would like to see the look on my relatives faces if I said what they were wearing is evil.. lol.

Yah, I don't want to get a contaminated needle. I will definitely ask them to open the needle in my presence.

I like the snake bites piercings.. do you ever have issues the the discs rubbing up against your gums? I want to maybe get a Monroe piercing, and I'm afraid of the discs rubbing against my gums. I've also heard the skin can try to grow around the discs. That's why I want my septum pierced first, because it will be easier to take care of for a first time piercing in my face.

ROFL.. I would like to see the look on my relatives faces if I said what they were wearing is evil.. lol.

Yah, I don't want to get a contaminated needle. I will definitely ask them to open the needle in my presence.

I like the snake bites piercings.. do you ever have issues the the discs rubbing up against your gums? I want to maybe get a Monroe piercing, and I'm afraid of the discs rubbing against my gums. I've also heard the skin can try to grow around the discs. That's why I want my septum pierced first, because it will be easier to take care of for a first time piercing in my face.

Well, if you want to be a bit more tactful, ask them for the specific scripture verses that state piercings are against God's will.

I've never had any issues with skin overgrowth or abrasion; but I have two hoops that I occasionally remove. I remember it being occasionally sore for the first month or two, but eventually that area of your gums hardens and becomes desensitized. Eating soup was also an adventure for the first little while lol. Of course, a reputable piercing establishment would have far better input than me. Good luck!

Why do you kids want to get all tatted up and poke extra holes in your bodies? You're all going to end up looking like barnyard animals with rings in your noses.

If God wanted you to have those holes, you would have been born with them.

What's next? Christians with their privates pierced?

Come on, get real. There may be no specific scripture forbidding it, but I know evil when I see it.

Why do you kids want to get all tatted up and poke extra holes in your bodies? You're all going to end up looking like barnyard animals with rings in your noses.

Come on, get real. There may be no specific scripture forbidding it, but I know evil when I see it.

Honestly, I don't care what you think.. I have a strong relationship with God, and I love God very much. I wouldn't be calling people evil, if I were you. You may be judged by God for judging others without even knowing anything about the person. I don't do drugs, I don't smoke, and I don't hang out with people who do those things. I may have an occasional drink, but I've never been drunk in my life. I've been heavily buzzed, but not drunk. I've never acted like a fool having a couple drinks, and I don't think it's your place to be condemning the heart of other people.

What do you make of Brian Welch then?

http://www.iamsecond.com/seconds/brian-welch/

Just a thought,,,,,,,

Instead of asking a bunch of twits on an internet forum whether it's ok,, why don't you ask your father?

I don't know what your problem is.. I feel that you have a lot of anger toward other people.

I haven't done anything to you, and you're basically calling me an idiot for seeking the advice of other people (some of whom are my friends). I don't appreciate you calling my friends, and fellow brothers and sisters in Christ twits.

If you read my posts, I explained that I had prayed to God about it, and I just wanted the input of others to see if anyone knew scripture that would give me insight on my final decision.

I don't know what your problem is.. I feel that you have a lot of anger toward other people.

I haven't done anything to you, and you're basically calling me an idiot for seeking the advice of other people (some of whom are my friends). I don't appreciate you calling my friends, and fellow brothers and sisters in Christ twits.

If you read my posts, I explained that I had prayed to God about it, and I just wanted the input of others to see if anyone knew scripture that would give me insight on my final decision.

(Didn't you read my first reply to this topic?)

For some believers, nothing is as sinful as an action or expression that they're not interested in doing.

It often shocks these people to know that God loves and has a plan for all people, not just those identical to themselves.

Let us take a hypothetical Believer with piercings. There are probably people and subcultures out there in the world who might be far more likely to strike up a conversation with them, as opposed to someone dressed more traditionally in their "Sunday best". They may be more open to hearing about the Gospel and believing (despite what they may have thought or been told) that God does love them, despite their break from the more traditional mold.

If you choose, be that person who can share their testimony where others cannot.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back