Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Plastic Surgery

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Tina

What do y'all think of plastic surgery .... can Christians go for it ?

Where i live, many chinese women are cutting their eyelids to get the double layered look, mutilating their flat noses to insert some plastic stuff inside for the sharp nose look, injecting chemicals into their lips and foreheads with botox which is actually made of bacteria .. :o .... inserting plastic silicones into their flat chests ..... and they all end up looking totally different and "un-chinese" ! :chin

There's a lot of pain and costs involved in such procedures and I was wondering if it's worthwhile for Christians to make such sacrifices for the sake of outward beauty.

What do y'all think of this ? Should Christian women (or men) be doing this ?

If you are a man and your woman wants to do this badly, how will you support her or discourage her, whether you are a Christian or not ?

Or what if your kids want it badly ?

If you have done any plastic surgery, please share with us and let us know how it went ?

I must say plastic surgeons are enjoying booming business and some of them are also Christians.

A wider field than just "Vanity".

A few years back, the guitar player in my band was nipped by his "Scotty", with the result that his lower lip was torn badly. SO - "plastic surgery" was required to make him look "right" again.

And as a more significant side benefit, his Wife went to the same doctor because of a botched "Transflap" procedure after her double radical for breast Cancer, where the surgeon had omitted the Supporting mesh in her abdominal area, and left her with only a layer of skin keeping her intestines from falling out - SO - "plastic surgery" to get it fixed.

And when the head of maintenance at my plant smashed the bone structure of his face around his Left eye - in a black-out fall on his kitchen floor - there was a LOT of re-construction that needed to me done, but now he looks normal again - SO Plastic surgery was required.

And of course there's the hare-lips, and cleft palates, and burn victims, and physical deformations, and the occasional face transplant, like the fellow here in Plano who got his burned off, and needed a new one.

And if somebody wants to spend their hard-earned ca$h for un-needed "Vanity adjustments" so be it.

Being a "Professing Christian" in 2012 really doesn't seem to be particularly "Significant" where personal or social behavior is concerned anyway. It's not effective in marital situations, nor in Business honesty, and so there's no reason to expect a "professing Christian" to NOT cater to their own vanity in any way they feel like.

I feel that if there was an accident or a person was born (as much as I hate to use the word) deformed, then I don't think it would be so bad. I can't think of a reason why God would have a problem with it, except that maybe He wants you to play the hand he dealt you. But if you can talk to the guy next to you and swap some cards around, and you both end up better for it, I think it's a good thing.

Good responses!
PS is not altogether bad. Tell it to God first. If He says proceed with PS - then do it.

I think this is one of those issues that rides a very fine line.

Necessary cosmetic surgery such as some of those discussed above..burn victims,cleft palates,etc are completely understandable to me.To a large degree many are deeply affected by such traumatic or birth abnormalities.I can fully understand some cosmetic work to at least restore yourself back to normal or correct something like a cleft palate.We all just at least want to be normal.

Cosmetic surgery for the sole reason of vanity or insecurity is something that should be approached with extreme caution at least.While not wrong in the moral sense that I can see (nothing of course is mentioned about this in the bible that I recall),it is plain to see how God views the overly prideful/narcissistic.

Obviously the reason one wishes to undergo unnecessary cosmetic surgery is simply to look better.Again,nothing wrong with wanting to improve yourself in and of itself.This does,however,leave one prone various detrimental effects.

How will the person in question behave when they get that look they desire?Will they then view themselves as better than others?Will arrogance become a factor when they consider themselves sexier than those around them?When they do start getting the attention they desire will they retain their former humble outlook (provided they were humble to begin with) or are they prepared to resist the elevated levels of sexual temptation?

When considering these things,its not hard to see the increased exposure to certain temptations and negative outlook.Of course,these are only a few aspects to consider.Improving ones physical looks can be a positive thing in terms of self-confidence and being more comfortable in their own skin.But it just very well may open pandoras box and expose one to a new realm of problems that I think most never even consider.

I heard a quote once,the author is unknown to me. Paraphrased,"There are two great tragedies in life..the first is not getting what one wants,the other is getting what one wants."

In short,I think its risky at best to pull the trigger on cosmetic enhancements that most times are just completely unnecessary.I suspect much of this is due to the value todays society places on looks,and the stigma associated with not being a perfect physical specimen.People just need to learn to be more comfortable with who they are and learn to deal with things as they are.Too much emphasis is put on what others think of you.

I feel that if there was an accident or a person was born (as much as I hate to use the word) deformed, then I don't think it would be so bad. I can't think of a reason why God would have a problem with it, except that maybe He wants you to play the hand he dealt you. But if you can talk to the guy next to you and swap some cards around, and you both end up better for it, I think it's a good thing.
I agree for "necessary" plastic surgery, but there does come a point where it does become to obsessive with one's outward appearance. For example, if a woman is simply not happy with her breast size, I honestly don't think that's a good enough reason to go for it.

:twocents

I agree for "necessary" plastic surgery, but there does come a point where it does become to obsessive with one's outward appearance. For example, if a woman is simply not happy with her breast size, I honestly don't think that's a good enough reason to go for it.

:twocents

I agree with you. But you are looking for trouble:lol
images

I'm taking cover too:lol

Not only women:bigfrown Men are guilty too

However, I encourage these people to do PS "if they want to":
images

images

images

It's ok only in extreme circumstances, not when you want to appear to be something you are not. Vanity is a form of excessive pride, you cannot walk with God while committing such sin.

To a lesser degree I frown on makeup, hair dye, excessively expensive clothing, etc. I don't think those things are sinful, but for me they're a grey area.

To a lesser degree I frown on makeup, hair dye, excessively expensive clothing, etc. I don't think those things are sinful, but for me they're a grey area.
:lol
Don't let women riot against you. Isn't truth a kind of spear? It lacerates through the heart!

All these companies and doctors won't like this thread.

Tina, don't be on the run:chin

What do y'all think of plastic surgery .... can Christians go for it ?

Where i live, many chinese women are cutting their eyelids to get the double layered look, mutilating their flat noses to insert some plastic stuff inside for the sharp nose look, injecting chemicals into their lips and foreheads with botox which is actually made of bacteria .. :o .... inserting plastic silicones into their flat chests ..... and they all end up looking totally different and "un-chinese" ! :chin

There's a lot of pain and costs involved in such procedures and I was wondering if it's worthwhile for Christians to make such sacrifices for the sake of outward beauty.

What do y'all think of this ? Should Christian women (or men) be doing this ?

If you are a man and your woman wants to do this badly, how will you support her or discourage her, whether you are a Christian or not ?

Or what if your kids want it badly ?

If you have done any plastic surgery, please share with us and let us know how it went ?

I must say plastic surgeons are enjoying booming business and some of them are also Christians.

I would be against plastic surgery other than to correct some deformity.

Back