Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Please explain

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Rob

When I was a child and I started going to Church I was taught the trinity, there was the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost but they were all God just in different forms. I can only remember asking once as a child about this teaching and I can remember being told that the father was God, the Holy Spirit was the breath of God (something about the hebrew word for spirit also meant breath), and that Jesus was God come down in the form of man. I've never given the issue much thought until recently when I've seen discussions on the forums because this isn't the type of issue they discuss in Church. Recently I decided to read through some of the new testament to see what conclusions I could come to myself and I'm still unsure as to how to interpret certain things.

1 Corinthians 8:6 is the first verse I had that made question how I was taught.

John 8:28 is the second verse I started looking at and this one has me really confused. The second part of the verse has me questioning how I was raised but he also says that you will see that I am he which almost seems that Jesus is saying he is God.

John 5:19-23 again makes me question the way I was taught.

Matthew 24:36 is the only verse that really makes me start to have doubts about how I was taught though because it raises one question. If the way I was taught is the truth then how could Jesus not know something that God knows?

I'm starting this thread because I have throughly confused myself trying to figure this out now. I've been raised to believe one way my entire life and now I'm trying to make my own decisions based on scripture and I just might not be able to do it so I ask for discussion of this with the intent of becoming less confused. Thanks in advance.

John 1, Colossians 1 & Hebrews 1 make it crystal clear that Christ is the Almighty Creator in human form

John 1
The Word Became Flesh

1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was with God in the beginning.
3Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.

Colossians 1

The Supremacy of Christ

15He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. 17He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.

ebrews 1
The Son Superior to Angels
1In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, 2but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the universe. 3The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven. 4So he became as much superior to the angels as the name he has inherited is superior to theirs.
5For to which of the angels did God ever say,
"You are my Son;
today I have become your Father[a]"? Or again,
"I will be his Father,
and he will be my Son"[c]? 6And again, when God brings his firstborn into the world, he says,
"Let all God's angels worship him." 7In speaking of the angels he says,
"He makes his angels winds,
his servants flames of fire."[e] 8But about the Son he says,
"Your throne, O God, will last for ever and ever

That's why only He could pay the penalty for sin

Hebrew 'Elohim', translated 'the Lord', is plural - yet it is consistently used with singular verbs, to demonstrate the 3-in-1 Godhead

Jesus is called the Lord because He IS

John 10:30 - 'I and my Father are one'.

In John 14, He said,

7If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him."

8Philip said, "Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us."

9Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'? 10Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you are not just my own. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. 11Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves.

John 20:28 - 'And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God'.

& Jesus accepted his worship

Ian

Hebrew 'Elohim', translated 'the Lord', is plural - yet it is consistently used with singular verbs, to demonstrate the 3-in-1 Godhead

Wrong. Elohim is translated "God" or "Gods". One or the other. It does not indicate a "plurality" within one God.

Rob - if you are confused and want to stay that way - ask a trinitarian for the answers. They don't understand it either and because it is so mysterious, they will tell you, 'you have to accept it by faith.'

mutzrein said:
Rob - if you are confused and want to stay that way - ask a trinitarian for the answers. They don't understand it either and because it is so mysterious, they will tell you, 'you have to accept it by faith.'

Yes, a rationalizable God is what we need. One that our human minds can wrap themselves around. Thus making what is in our minds greater than that god. Thx for your post mutz. :biggrin:

BradtheImpaler said:

Wrong. Elohim is translated "God" or "Gods". One or the other. It does not indicate a "plurality" within one God.

'im' is standard Hebrew suffix to mean plural - it is purposely used with singular verbs to show the 3-in-1 Godhead

Elohim is translated 'the Lord' many, many times, in all the translations I've seen

Heard the poem expaining the most commonly observed different functions within the Trinity?

'The Father wills
The Son fulfils
The Spirit instils'

In this heat, I can only think of adding the illustrations of ice, water & steam
& of body, mind & spirit

God, in His wisdom, has built such illustrations into the creation to give us some insight into His triune nature

But yes, the Almighty, All-Knowing Creator can't be pigeonholed in a test tube, or any other human device

Readers who are parents will know the impossibility of expaining certain things to children, just as university professors to some students

Both frequently urge faith & trust on their charges

How much more our Creator-Redeemer deserves - as in 1 Corinthians 1:18-27

1 Corinthians 1:18-27 (New International Version)

Christ the Wisdom and Power of God

18For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19For it is written:
"I will destroy the wisdom of the wise;
the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate."[a]
20Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? 21For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe. 22Jews demand miraculous signs and Greeks look for wisdom, 23but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, 24but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength.

26Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. 27But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.

Isaiah talks of human arrogance towards God in terms of being like a lump of clay trying to question the Potter & understand the replies

Jeremiah 18 is similar & timely

Jeremiah 18

At the Potter's House

1 This is the word that came to Jeremiah from the LORD : 2 "Go down to the potter's house, and there I will give you my message." 3 So I went down to the potter's house, and I saw him working at the wheel. 4 But the pot he was shaping from the clay was marred in his hands; so the potter formed it into another pot, shaping it as seemed best to him.
5 Then the word of the LORD came to me: 6 "O house of Israel, can I not do with you as this potter does?" declares the LORD. "Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand, O house of Israel. 7 If at any time I announce that a nation or kingdom is to be uprooted, torn down and destroyed, 8 and if that nation I warned repents of its evil, then I will relent and not inflict on it the disaster I had planned. 9 And if at another time I announce that a nation or kingdom is to be built up and planted, 10 and if it does evil in my sight and does not obey me, then I will reconsider the good I had intended to do for it.

Faith in God means more than just believing that He exists: it means taking Him at His Word

I can hear the echoed chorus of a song by Matthew Ward, (of '70s gospel band, '2nd Chapter of Acts'), quoting Psalms - 'Humble yourselves before the Lord'

God bless!

Ian

Thread subject

Hi Rob,

Please go to my last post, dated 7/24, on the 2nd page of the thread, "If Christ is the firstborn, how can he be God?" On the Apologetics and Theology forum.

It will give you the Scriptural description of God/Jesus and debunk the trinitarian theory completely.

Keep up your studies as it will lead you to the facts and the truth.

Blessings,

Quasar

Thessalonian wrote:Yes, a rationalizable God is what we need. One that our human minds can wrap themselves around. Thus making what is in our minds greater than that god. Thx for your post mutz. :biggrin

The Word was made flesh and dwelt among us…. Can you wrap your mind around that? By trying to put God in your Trinitarian box, you are trying to contain and define (rationalize) something Jesus or the disciples did not even try to. Isn’t it enough to say Jesus is the Son of God?

Hi Rob,

I can relate to your childhood. I too was taught to believe the Trinity and later studied books on it to better understand the doctrine of the Trinity so I could teach others about it. When a good friend of mine started asking me about very specific aspects concerning my beliefs compared to what was written in the Bible, I realized then my beliefs didn’t make much sense. From this point onward I decided to study every major belief I had from a completely objective position to seek the truth of the word of God. This changed my life completely over a period of two decades and continues today.

I now see that our merciful heavenly Father teaches us patience when we are extracted from this world over a period of years, by his faithful son. Some are extracted much more quickly, perhaps because they are able to withstand the sudden changes this can bring to their lives. The point is, only the Father calls, and then only those whom He chooses He gives to His son the Anointed one who will not lose one of them. These will have their hearts purified and their minds transformed and renewed through Messiah so they are able to take up the responsibilities of the elect during the millennium and the second resurrection as kings and priests.

Rob, the fact that you are unsure about how to interpret what you read n the NT is ok. You are probably right where you need to be. If you dedicate yourself to follow Christ and serve the one true God, relying not on what others to tell you to believe, but rather, on what is written, praying often and accepting what the scriptures prove to you as you continue studying diligently, our heavenly Father will show you the truth, through Christ by the power of the Holy Spirit. If you ask, you will receive. In fact, this may have already begun for you.

In your post you provided several texts that you say you’re not sure how to interpret. If I could suggest something to you, I would recommend searching as many texts as you can find that are related to each of the texts you posted. Then compare them, check out some of the key words in them with a Greek Dictionary, look also in the OT and let the word reveal itself to you line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little and there a little. For All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work (2 Timothy 3:16-17).

The scriptures you mentioned speak very loudly concerning the identity of the Father and the son and their relationship. Instead of explaining them, I will just post them.

yet for us there is one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we for Him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and through whom we live (1 Corinthians 8:6, NKJV).

Then Jesus said to them, “When you lift up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am He, and that I do nothing of Myself; but as My Father taught Me, I speak these things (John 8:28).

Then Jesus answered and said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, but what He sees the Father do; for whatever He does, the Son also does in like manner. 20 For the Father loves the Son, and shows Him all things that He Himself does; and He will show Him greater works than these, that you may marvel. 21 For as the Father raises the dead and gives life to them, even so the Son gives life to whom He will. 22 For the Father judges no one, but has committed all judgment to the Son, 23 that all should honor the Son just as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent Him (John 5:19-23).

But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone (Matthew 24:36, NASB).

Let me know if you wish to talk more.

May our heavenly Father bless you in your studies,
R7-12

Rob
Do you believe that Jesus is God?
Do you believe that Jesus was a created god or being?

Blessings, Oscar

I've always been taught that Jesus was God just in human form. As far as the way I was taught, I was always taught that when you talked about Jesus or God you were talking about the thing. The problem is that as I look more and more into the way I was taught as a child I find things that I can't explain so I try to find things out for myself. It doesn't do me much good when I'm trying to teach someone the love of God if I can't even provide an answer better than, "well that is how I was taught as a child." This isn't the first issue that I've come to conflicts with how I was taught as a child, it's just the first in a list that I've decided to tackle and learn for myself. I feel that by learning the reasons for each belief and coming to the conclusions for myself that I will only increase my own faith and also have an easier time at explaining to non-believers.

I still believe that Jesus is God and I know that the only way to heaven is through Jesus. I'm starting to confuse myself to no end now though mainly because of that one verse, Matthew 24:36 . What is troubling me the most is understanding this, If Jesus is God but he doens't know something that the Father knows then is he a second God or created? The biggest problem I have with that conclusion of a created God is the way I was raised, I was taught that was blasphemy. If Jesus was a second God then I would be worshipping two seperate Gods which then turns Christianity into Polytheism. Now if I were to go to church this Sunday and ask that question I would probably have to run out lol. The thing is I don't understand how Jesus could be the same as the father and not have the same knowledge. I even start confusing myself when I try to type this out and I feel almost ashamed to even start thinking some of these things because most of my family would tell me I'm wrong for thinking such things. It is hard to get past the difference between right and wrong you are taught as a child and to make your own decisions and I have yet to do so.

I've confused myself to know end and I'm just to the point that I think the best thing I can do right now is to keep on reading and pray for understanding. I have some good information from both beliefs here in this thread already and I welcome any more input that anyone here has. I'm going to continue to study this in my Bible and I just downloaded the E-Sword electronic Bible with all the different translations and notes and such and plan on using some of the tools in that to help in my studies as well. I will post back here with further questions too. As far as what I believe right now, I don't know I'm unsure and that is a scary thing for me.

One thing I did notice about the verse that is troubling me. When I read Matthew 24:36 in the NIV version it says "No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." but when I read in the KJV it doesn't have the part, "nor the Son" in there. It might help me in my search if someone here knows why that part is different in the two different versions and which one is closest to correct.

Rob said:
When I was a child and I started going to Church I was taught the trinity, there was the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost but they were all God just in different forms. I can only remember asking once as a child about this teaching and I can remember being told that the father was God, the Holy Spirit was the breath of God (something about the hebrew word for spirit also meant breath), and that Jesus was God come down in the form of man. I've never given the issue much thought until recently when I've seen discussions on the forums because this isn't the type of issue they discuss in Church. Recently I decided to read through some of the new testament to see what conclusions I could come to myself and I'm still unsure as to how to interpret certain things.

1 Corinthians 8:6 is the first verse I had that made question how I was taught.

John 8:28 is the second verse I started looking at and this one has me really confused. The second part of the verse has me questioning how I was raised but he also says that you will see that I am he which almost seems that Jesus is saying he is God.

John 5:19-23 again makes me question the way I was taught.

Matthew 24:36 is the only verse that really makes me start to have doubts about how I was taught though because it raises one question. If the way I was taught is the truth then how could Jesus not know something that God knows?

I'm starting this thread because I have throughly confused myself trying to figure this out now. I've been raised to believe one way my entire life and now I'm trying to make my own decisions based on scripture and I just might not be able to do it so I ask for discussion of this with the intent of becoming less confused. Thanks in advance.

Rob
I pray you will take the time to read my comments on the verses you had questions on. Please PM me or ask on this thread what ever questions you may have. I believe you were taught right, but now its time to give you meat and water you so that you may become like the fourth soil

Excuse the type'os as I am learning to speed type.

1 COR 8:4-6
Rob In order to understand the scriptures its important to realize a few things.
This is a letter. Paul wrote this to a very corrupt church. Lets go down verse by verse and lets take a look at what the Apostle paul is saying.
8:4 As far as things offered to idols are concerned, believers understand that an idol is not a real god with power, knowledge, and love. Paul was not denying the existence of idols themselves; he knew that there were such things as images carved out of wood or stone. Later on he acknowledges that behind these idols there are demon-powers. But what he emphasizes here is that the gods which these idols purport to represent do not exist. There is no other God but one, that is, the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.
8:5 Paul admits that there were many so-called gods in heathen mythology, such as Jupiter, Juno, and Mercury. Some of these gods were supposed to live in heaven, and others, such as Ceres and Neptune, here on earth. In this sense there are many gods and many lords, that is, mythological beings which people worshiped and were in bondage to.
8:6 Believers know that there is one true God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we for Him. This means that God, our Father, is the Source or Creator of all things and that we were created for Him. In other words, He is the purpose or goal of our existence. We also know that there is one Lord, namely Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and through whom we live. The expression through whom are all things describes the Lord Jesus as the Mediator or Agent of God, whereas the expression through whom we live indicates that it is through Him that we have been created and redeemed.
When Paul says that there is one God, the Father, and one Lord Jesus Christ, he does not mean that the Lord Jesus Christ is not God. Rather he simply indicates the respective roles which these two Persons of the Godhead fulfilled in creation and in redemption.
Rob. If you need further explanation, let me know. Lets move on to the next verse.

John 8:21-30
Rob.. This is a very famous section of Scripture. When I was teaching the adult Sunday school class at church, it took nearly 1 year to get through the book of John.
It was a huge blessing for me and its good to be able to use some of my notes again.
That was 4 years ago. I thought I was taking a year off of teaching the bible but here I am and enjoying it. Now lets take a look at what John says in this section of scripture.

8:21 Again Jesus showed perfect knowledge of the future. He told His critics He was going awayâ€â€referring not only to His death and burial, but to His resurrection and ascension back into heaven. The Jewish people would continue to seek for the Messiah, not realizing that He had already visited them and that they had rejected Him. Because of their rejection, they would die in their sin (“sin†is singular in Greek and in NKJV). This would mean that they would be forever prevented from entering heaven, where the Lord was going. It is a solemn truth! Those who refuse to accept the Lord Jesus as God have no hope of heaven. How dreadful to die in one’s sins, without God, without Christ, without hope forever!
8:22 The Jews did not understand that the Lord spoke of going back to heaven. What did He mean by “going away� Did He mean that He would escape from their plot to kill Him by committing suicide? It was strange that they should think this. If He were to kill Himself, there would be nothing to prevent them from doing the same and following Him in death. But it was just another example of the darkness of unbelief. It seems amazing that they could be so dull and ignorant of what the Savior was saying!
8:23 Doubtless thinking of their foolish reference to suicide, the Lord told them that they were from beneath. This meant that they had a very low outlook on things. They could not rise above the literal things of time and sense. They had no spiritual understanding. In contrast, Christ was from above. His thoughts, words, and deeds were heavenly. All that they did savored of this world, whereas His whole life told that He came from a purer land than this world.
8:24 Jesus often used repetition for emphasis. Here He solemnly warned them again that they would die in their sins. If they steadfastly refused to believe on Him, there was no alternative. Apart from the Lord Jesus, there is no way to obtain forgiveness of sins, and those who die with sins unforgiven cannot possibly enter heaven at last. The word He is not found in this verse in the original, though it may be implied. It reads literally: “If you do not believe that I am, you will die in your sins.†We see in the words I am another claim to deity by the Lord Jesus.
8:25 The Jews were completely perplexed by the teachings of the Lord Jesus. They asked Him pointedly who He was. Perhaps they meant this in sarcasm, as if to say, “Who do You think You are, that You should speak to us in this way?†Or perhaps they were really anxious to hear what He would say concerning Himself. His answer is worthy of note: “Just what I have been saying to you from the beginning.†He was the promised Messiah. The Jews had heard Him say so frequently, but their stubborn hearts refused to bow to the truth. But His answer can have another meaningâ€â€the Lord Jesus was exactly what He preached. He did not say one thing and do another. He was the living embodiment of all that He taught. His life agreed with His teaching.
8:26 The meaning of verse 26 is not clear. It seems the Lord was saying that there were many additional things He could say and judge concerning these unbelieving Jews. He could expose the wicked thoughts and motives of their hearts. However, He was obediently speaking only those things which the Father had given Him to speak. And since the Father is true, He is worthy to be believed and listened to.
8:27 The Jews did not understand at this point that He was speaking to them of God the Father. It seems that their minds were becoming more clouded all the time. Previously when the Lord Jesus claimed to be the Son of God, they had realized He was claiming equality with God the Father. But not so anymore.
8:28 Again Jesus prophesied what was going to happen. First of all, the Jews would lift up the Son of Man. This refers to His death by crucifixion. After they had done that, they would know that He was the Messiah. They would know it by the earthquake and by the darkness, but, most of all, by His bodily resurrection from the dead. Notice carefully the words of the Lord, “Then you will know that I am.†Here, again, the word He is not in the original. The deeper meaning is, “Then you will know that I am God.†Then they would understand He did nothing from Himself, that is, by His own authority. Rather, He came into the world as the dependent One, speaking only those things which the Father had taught Him to say.
8:29, 30 The Lord’s relationship with God the Father was very intimate. Each of these expressions was a claim to equality with God. Throughout all of His earthly ministry, the Father was with Him. At no time was Jesus left alone. At all times He did the things that were pleasing to God. These words could only be spoken by a sinless Being. No one born of human parents could ever truthfully utter those words, “I always do those things that please Him.†Too often we do the things that please ourselves. Sometimes we are prompted to please our fellow men. Only the Lord Jesus was completely taken up with the desire to do the things that were well-pleasing to God.
As He spoke these wonderful words, Jesus found that many professed to believe on Him. Doubtless some were genuine in their faith. Others might only have been prompted to give lip service to the Lord.

John 5:19-23
Rob
Lets move on to your next few verses

5:19 The Savior was so vitally linked with God the Father that He could not act independently. He does not mean that He did not have the power to do anything by Himself, but that He was so closely united with God that He could only do the very things which He saw His Father doing. For while the Lord claimed equality with the Father, He did not claim independency too. He is not independent of although He is fully equal with Him.
The Lord Jesus clearly intended the Jews to think of Him as equal with God. It would be absurd for a mere man to claim to do the very things which God Himself does. Jesus claims to see what the Father is doing. In order to make such a claim, He must have continual access to the Father and complete knowledge of what is going on in heaven. Not only so, but Jesus claims to do the very things which He sees the Father do. This is certainly an assertion of His equality with God. He is omnipotent.
5:20 It is a special mark of the Father’s love for His Son that He shows Him all things that He Himself does. These things Jesus not only saw; He had the power to perform them as well. Then the Savior went on to say that God would show Him greater works than these, so that the people might marvel. Already they had seen the Lord Jesus performing miracles. They had just seen Him heal a man who had been crippled for thirty-eight years. But they would see greater marvels than this. The first such marvel would be the raising of the dead (v. 21). The second was the work of judging mankind (v. 22).
5:21 Here is another clear statement as to the equality of the Son with the Father. The Jews accused Jesus of making Himself equal with God. He did not deny the charge, but rather set forth these tremendous proofs of the fact that He and the Father are one. Just as the Father raises the dead and gives life to them, even so the Son gives life to whom He will. Could this ever be said of Him if He were a mere man? To ask the question is to answer it.
5:22 The NT teaches that God the Father ... has committed all the work of judgment to the Son. In order for the Lord Jesus to do this work, He must, of course, have absolute knowledge and perfect righteousness. He must be able to discern the thoughts and motives of men’s hearts. How strange it was that the Judge of all the earth should stand before these Jews, asserting His authority, and yet they did not recognize Him!
5:23 Here we have the reason God has given authority to His Son to raise the dead and to judge the world. The reason is so that all should honor the Son just as they honor the Father. This is a most important statement, and one of the clearest proofs in the Bible of the deity of the Lord Jesus Christ. Throughout the Bible we are taught that God alone is to be worshiped. In the Ten Commandments, the people were forbidden to have any god but the one true God. Now we are taught that all should honor the Son just as they honor the Father. The only conclusion we can come to from this verse is that Jesus Christ is God.
Many people claim to worship God, but deny that Jesus Christ is God. They say that He was a good man or more godlike than any other man who ever lived. But this verse puts Him on an absolute equality with God, and requires that men should give Him the same honor which they give to God the Father. If a person does not honor the Son, then he does not honor the Father. It is useless to claim a love for God if one does not have the same love for the Lord Jesus Christ. If you have never realized before who Jesus Christ is, then ponder this verse carefully. Remember that it is the Word of God, and accept the glorious truth that Jesus Christ is God manifest in the flesh.

Matt 24:36
Rob Perhaps the question that really has you thinking is perhaps the easy one to answer. Christ, in His humiliation (incarnation), was not aware of the time is not a denial of His deity, but an evidence of His functional subordination and temporary surrender of the use of certain attributes while living a life of faith and dependence upon the Father.
Mark 13:32 indicates that even Jesus Himself did not know the day and hour of His return. When the Lord Jesus was on earth, He voluntarily limited His use of His divine attributes (see John 17:4, 5; Phil. 2:5–8). Therefore He became hungry, thirsty, and tired. Luke records that Jesus grew in knowledge and wisdom (see Luke 2:52). In this instance, Jesus surrendered the use of His divine omniscience. You bet now that Jesus is with the father at the right hand he knows the day and the hour.

Well rob 3 hours later he we are. I pray this study will be a blessing to you and all who read it.
May the Lord bless you and Keep you.
Jg

Thread subject

Hi Rob,

I too was a trinitarian for 45 years, until I got tired of people of the Church attempting to explain it and get all kinds of answers to that which is an impossibility to describe.

So I set forth to serious and deep study of how God describes Himself as well as to find the origins of Jesus, the Son of God. Without duplicating the same findings over again, I have left you the directions to my post to the Scriptural description of God and the origins of Jesus Christ.

Be sure you take a few minutes to review it in your own research for the truth. You're doing the right thing in seeking the facts and the truth for yourself and not listening to those who continue to parrot the man made views the Church has been forced to believe for the past 1,600 years.

Blessings,

Quasar

Thead subject

oscar3 said:
Rob

Blessings, Oscar

Hi Oscar,

Don't you believe Pr.8:22-36, that reveals the pre-incarnated Spirit of Jesus was created as it has been written in the Word of God? Or God's prophecies in Ps.2:7, 45:6-7 and Isa.7:14, the Jesus will be His Son and He will be His Father? And that when He was born, God called Him God. And if that is not enough, when those were fulfilled, they were repeated in Mt.1:23 and Heb.1:5, 8-9.

Jesus did not receive His deity until He was incarnated by the Holy Spirit through the virgin Mary, as in Mt.1:20 and Lk.1:35. Or Isa.43:10 and 44:6 would have made God a liar! See also Heb.10:5.

Further, Jesus, Paul and John all testified to the fact that God is the Holy Spirit, Jn.4:24, 2 Cor.3:17-18, Col.1:15 and 1 Jn.4:12. Since The Word of God calls Him the Holy Spirit, it is crystal clear, He is also the Father of Jesus Christ.

Pr.8:22-36 clearly reveals there are two distinct personages involved; The Spirit of God and the pre-incarnated Spirit of Jesus. Also keep in mind, the apostles greeted both the Father and Jesus in every epistle in the Bible.

It doesn't require an astrophysisist to understand what Jesus meant in His prayer to His Father, in Jn.17:21-22, in His description of the ONENESS of He and His Father, and His petition for all we believers to be ONE WITH THEM. The fact of the matter is, we are ONE WITH THEM - SPIRITUALLY! But we do not lose our individual, unique personage any more than the Father and the Son do. Paul exlains it well in 1 Cor.12:12-13.

Now please tell me why you have a problem with the Scriptural description of God.

Blessings,

Quasar

Rob
Like you I was on the fence. Confused. I started to read the threads on this board and got even more confused. I started to read a thread between R7-12 and jgredline and listened to both arguments went to the scriptures and asked the Holy Spirit to give me understanding and its was like the scriptures were opened up. I am no longer on the fence. I am a Christian who believes in the deity of Jesus Christ and he was fully God and man, I guess by definition I am now a trinitarian.

Rob
The biggest thing for me was and still is when these cults take scriptures out of contex. They will take for example Col 1:15 forget verse 16 and 17 are there and go back to verse 18 to make it sound like My Jesus was created. Some of these people have fooled themselves for up to 69 years thinking they are Christians, but will hear the words. ''I never knew you.''

Rob
Ask yourself this question.
Can a created God (JESUS) atone for sin? No way. No more than a bull or a lamb.

Rob
People that have converted from Trinitarian to unitarian or Binitarian and deny the deity of Christ were never Jesus followers to begin with. Once your saved you can never be plucked from The Lords hand.

Rob
There are many people on this board who are wolfs in sheeps clothing. Be careful On this very thread I would say be careful of Quesar, R7-12, BRAD THE IMPALER, and Mutzrein.

If I am not mistaken all these people believe in something differant from one another. :-?

Blessing to you Rob
Oscar

Re: Thead subject

Quasar said:
oscar3 said:
Rob

Blessings, Oscar

Hi Oscar,

Don't you believe Pr.8:22-36, that reveals the pre-incarnated Spirit of Jesus was created as it has been written in the Word of God? Or God's prophecies in Ps.2:7, 45:6-7 and Isa.7:14, the Jesus will be His Son and He will be His Father? And that when He was born, God called Him God. And if that is not enough, when those were fulfilled, they were repeated in Mt.1:23 and Heb.1:5, 8-9.

Jesus did not receive His deity until He was incarnated by the Holy Spirit through the virgin Mary, as in Mt.1:20 and Lk.1:35. Or Isa.43:10 and 44:6 would have made God a liar! See also Heb.10:5.

Further, Jesus, Paul and John all testified to the fact that God is the Holy Spirit, Jn.4:24, 2 Cor.3:17-18, Col.1:15 and 1 Jn.4:12. Since The Word of God calls Him the Holy Spirit, it is crystal clear, He is also the Father of Jesus Christ.

Pr.8:22-36 clearly reveals there are two distinct personages involved; The Spirit of God and the pre-incarnated Spirit of Jesus. Also keep in mind, the apostles greeted both the Father and Jesus in every epistle in the Bible.

It doesn't require an astrophysisist to understand what Jesus meant in His prayer to His Father, in Jn.17:21-22, in His description of the ONENESS of He and His Father, and His petition for all we believers to be ONE WITH THEM. The fact of the matter is, we are ONE WITH THEM - SPIRITUALLY! But we do not lose our individual, unique personage any more than the Father and the Son do. Paul exlains it well in 1 Cor.12:12-13.

Now please tell me why you have a problem with the Scriptural description of God.

Blessings,

Quasar

Quesar
I will simply paste this post that will answer your question correctly.

Wisdom can be fittingly applied to the Lord Jesus, since the NT refers to Him as Wisdom (Matt. 11:19; Luke 11:49; 1 Cor. 1:24,30; Col. 2:3). Nowhere is the application more clear and beautiful than in the following verses. The Christian Church has consistently regarded this paragraph as referring to the Lord Jesus Christ.
What then do we learn about Christ in “this noble specimen of sacred eloquence�
8:22 His eternal generation: “The Lord possessed me at the beginning of His way.†We must not understand the word “possessed†as implying that Christ ever had a beginning. God never existed without the quality or attribute of wisdom, and neither did He ever exist without the Person of His Son. The meaning here is exactly the same as in John 1:1: “In the beginning ... the Word was with God. ... â€Â
8:23 His appointment from eternity. “Established†means anointed or appointed. Long before creation took place, He was appointed to be the Messiah of Israel and the Savior of the world.
8:24–26 His pre-existence. The words “brought forth†must not be taken to mean that He was ever created and thus had a beginning. They are poetic language describing the Son’s eternal existence and His personality as being distinct from that of God the Father.
The primal dust refers to the beginnings of the world.
8:27–29 His presence at creation. He was there when the heavens were stretched over the land and sea, when clouds were formed, and fountains and springs began gushing forth. He was there when the boundaries of the oceans were decided upon, the waters being commanded not to pass beyond the limits set. He was there when the foundations of the earth were made, including the internal structure that supports the outer crust.
8:30a His activity in creation. Here we learn that the Lord Jesus was the active Agent in creation. The NKJV correctly renders the first part of verse 30, “Then I was beside Him as a master craftsman. ... †This agrees, of course, with John 1:3; Colossians 1:16; and Hebrews 1:2.
8:30b His position of affection and delight ... before God. The eternal and infinite love of the Father for His Son increases the marvel that He would ever send that Son to die for sinners.
8:30c His personal delight before God. This magnifies the grace of our Lord Jesus Christâ€â€that He would ever leave that scene of pure and perfect joy to come to this jungle of shame, sorrow, and suffering.
8:31 His rejoicing in the inhabited world. It is amazing that out of all the vast universe, He should be especially interested in this speck of a planet.
His special delight in the sons of men. The final wonder is that He should set His affection upon the rebel race of men.
8:32–36 This final paragraph sets forth the eternal issues involved in man’s response to Wisdom’s call. It pronounces a blessing on those who listen to her instruction, walking in her ways. It promises happiness to those who wait daily at her gates, who keep faithful vigil at her doors. It holds out life and divine favor to those who find her, but personal loss and death to those who miss her.
Apply these last two verses to Christ. Whoever finds Him receives eternal life and stands in full favor with God (see John 8:51; 17:3; Eph. 1:6; 1 John 5:12). But those who miss Him injure themselves, and those who hate Him love death (cf. John 3:36b).

The proverb you pointed to if anything affirms the diety of Christ.

Oscar

Quesar
Your signiture is John14:6

Perhaps you should study the entire 14th chapter of John and not a single verse. It answers all your questions and proves your beliefs wrong.
In that Chapter alone it shows the triune God head and that Jesus is GOD

peace

Rob, I both pity you and feel excited for you.

I pity you because you are taking off the religious spectacles you've viewed God through for all these years, and you'll meet all sorts of Christians that will either tell you you're right for taking off your Trinitarian goggles or wrong. Confusion is emanent. :wink:

But I'm also excited for you because it allows God - the true God whatever you, I or anyone else perceives that to be - to reveal himself to you. By putting others' beliefs away and reading the scriptures for yourself, you'll learn far more than what the limitations of religious doctrine allows you.

But do not worry about all those religious cults, trinitarian, non-trinitarian or antichirst lables you'll see being bandied about. If you do, you'll be tempted to be drawn into the endless judgements of others. What your focus should be on is God and seeking his truth. You can only hear words from other people, but it will be God who guides you. Make no one individual your guide for the Lord's body has many parts.

If your Trinitarian roots is where God leads you back to, then remember the scripture that if you teach a child to walk in the right ways, they will return to it. If you are led away from some aspects of the Trinity doctrine then remember that God's doctrine is his own and it would be his will that you understand HIS doctrine.

I personally haven't drawn my conclusions after first questioning the Trinitarian aspects of faith I was raised with either. I'm still seeking God. I find some scriptures which specifically outline Jesus as the Son of God and yet others which seem to imply Jesus is God? These sources come from both the Old Testament and the New.

Here is a scripture I have been drawn to lately from ISAIAH, chapter 46:

ISAIAH 46:9-10 said:
9. Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me.

10. Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure.

So whatever has been done from ancient times or things not yet done in the name of God, rest assured there is only one God and His counsel shall remain in all things. Is that a Trinitarian or a non-trinitarian perspective? Can't say, sorry. My allegiance is to God and doctrine inevitably confuses me. :wink:

All the best and may God be with you in all things.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back