Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Poll: Is ear piercing really too 'liberal'?

Can an earring for a man be a positive testimony?

• Yes, sometimes

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • No, never

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Don't know

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Don't care

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Re: Poll: Earring for a man, a positive testimony

Does this concern cheek, lip, nipple piercings? What about eyebrows? What about along the back for hooks?

Does this concern cheek, lip, nipple piercings? What about eyebrows? What about along the back for hooks?

F:

I guess we were talking about earrings.

(Maybe if you started another thread, you could talk about the other stuff you mention.)

I was just stoking the fire.

I was just stoking the fire.

F:

Oh okay. It's up to you whether you start another one; I guess the focus of this one happens to be earrings, and it's good to try to keep to topic.

I can think of no other reason than pride to get piercings.

I had piercings when I was younger and I know why.

I can think of no other reason than pride to get piercings.

I had piercings when I was younger and I know why.

Pride? Is it pride or vanity. Or, at least with most people...isn't it vanity? I didn't get my ears pierced until I was almost 30 years old. It was because I thought it would be easier to have earrings in my ear all the time, and not have to take them out.
Plus, clip on earrings hurt my ears. I still only have one piercing in each ear.

If you don't mind sharing, GojuBrian, why did you get piercings when you were young.

Pride? Is it pride or vanity. Or, at least with most people...isn't it vanity? I didn't get my ears pierced until I was almost 30 years old. It was because I thought it would be easier to have earrings in my ear all the time, and not have to take them out.
Plus, clip on earrings hurt my ears. I still only have one piercing in each ear.

If you don't mind sharing, GojuBrian, why did you get piercings when you were young.

Thirstyone:

Sounds like for you there were also strong practical reasons for doing it.

Far more comfortable to have them clasped through the earlobes.

Some style experts say that for a woman putting in one's earrings is the equivalent of men putting on their neckties. (I guess there are lots of preachers that wear neckties!) Like, it's widely seen as just the appropriate thing to do.

(Of course, nowadays men often wear earrings, too.)

Blessings.

On another, now quiet thread, Danny63 made a thoughtful comment about his earring that he has had for over 40 years; for Danny, it 'is a testimony to my past and the kids I minister to feel more comfortable knowing I am not a "stuffed shirt", and they see that I had been there done that.'

So do people feel that for some people (not everyone, certainly) an earring for a man can be a positive testimony?

I can't think of anyone who has ever looked at a man with an earring and thought "wow what a positive testimony!" especially when he's over 40 on the other hand I have heard it said that "it's a middle aged man trying to look young!" ..It's just a fashion statement in my eyes, one that I don't care for:)

I can't think of anyone who has ever looked at a man with an earring and thought "wow what a positive testimony!" especially when he's over 40 on the other hand I have heard it said that "it's a middle aged man trying to look young!" ..It's just a fashion statement in my eyes, one that I don't care for:)

mariamaria:

You know, I kind of agree with you more than you might realize. Almost as soon as I had started the thread, I sort of realized that the question wasn't well phrased.

I guess an underlying thought, however, it that it's undeniably widespread.

Last edited by a moderator:

i had my ear pierced and it was for an image.(pride). no for me.

i had my ear pierced and it was for an image.(pride). no for me.

j:

Well, you know your own heart, anyway.

What about the thing where style experts and commentators say that for man (in business, etc) who puts on a necktie, the equivalent for a woman in business, church, etc is to put in earrings?

I guess it's a more or less valid observation, don't you?

Okay folks, so in the poll the 'Don't knows' are ahead.

Is it supposedly 'liberal' to let your son pierce his ears?

Just thinking, in the light of the other thread about trashing 'liberals': so many of the things that 'liberals', whoever they exactly are, are accused of, seem to boil down to subjective. cultural things. You know; 70 or 80 years ago, a baptist pastor's wife was supposedly 'liberal' if she wore lipstick. Now they all do (seemingly). But now another bugbear that some good folk seem to have is, if a young man is allowed to pierce his ears, then this is somehow an indication that his parents are 'liberal'. (Whereas the parents and the young man himself may well hold a very conservative, Biblical approach to matters of personal faith.)

Is it a matter of mindset?

Re: Is it supposedly 'liberal' to let your son pierce his ears?

i would say its a mindset, for me and my family it isnt a big deal after your 18. but my moms being Asian really hates it. so i have to wait to get it.

my mom probably think its liberal. i dont really think it is. i think its a care factor.

i would say its a mindset, for me and my family it isnt a big deal after your 18. but my moms being Asian really hates it. so i have to wait to get it.

my mom probably think its liberal. i dont really think it is. i think its a care factor.

a:

Interesting; how do you mean, care factor?

as in if it high up on your care list. if it is then you say no if its not and you dont really care you say sure

a:

Oh okay. So maybe you meant that you'd like to pierce yours but you might have to wait until you're 18. (I guess there is no need to antagonize your mom, but anyway.)

a:

Oh okay. So maybe you meant that you'd like to pierce yours but you might have to wait until you're 18. (I guess there is no need to antagonize your mom, but anyway.)
not really.
i meant its something my mom cares a lot about she doesnt want me to get it.
my dad on the other hand doesnt care and hes indifferent to it.

but yes i will have to wait until im 18

It's a matter of whatever people are doing that you don't want them to do but have no valid argument against :tongue

DarkHorseRising: I do think that for under 18s it's the parent's call, but otherwise I don't see much of a valid argument against, I agree.
Whether he is taken to the mall to have them clicked in has nothing to do with being supposedly 'liberal' or not.

Back