Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Poll re. good tattoo artist career for a Christian woman - Part 2

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

farouk

Poll re. good tattoo artist career for a Christian woman

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:tongueunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:biggrinontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> On the other thread, which has ceased to be live over the past couple of days, mygraine made some thought-provoking statements about the career of tattoo artist for Christian women:

"The area in which I live, >16000 people, has five tattoo shops. Of the five, three are owned by women, of those three, two are owned and operated by Christians. So the thought of Christian women with tattoos is just how it is. My wife is no longer intimidated by the whole dark alley tat shop scene. When the artist is a Christian woman, it makes it more accessible for other Christian women. ..
My wife had tatts before Christ.. She states that she prefers the idea of an artist with a set of morals similar to our own. We are friends with two female tattoo artists .. For my wife it seems to come down to the money, she may get more later, as the finances become available
."

Personally it seems that mygraine's comments make a lot of sense.

It seems to me that it can be a suitable rôle for Christian woman, particularly an older Christian woman, because older Christian women can often both put people at ease with a gentle selflessness acquired over decades and can also speak effectively with a quiet and authoritative frankness about designs, things to look for and things to avoid. Including about faith related designs, of course.

Any thoughts?

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]43748[/split] by farouk Titled Poll re. good tattoo artist career for a Christian woman

Re: Poll re. good tattoo artist career for a Christian woman

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]43748[/split]

Wow this thread is still going? Blessed is the man (or woman) who can answer to God with a clear conscience. I hope those who get tats at least have some earnest prayer before they get them? I doubt many would if they really heard the voice of God, but maybe it is the Will of God for some?:chin
[MENTION=96503]George Muller[/MENTION]:

Like you say, women as well; the fact is that it's precisely with a view to being God honoring in witness that many Christians do go under the needle for faith based designs that, moreover, are proven conversation-starters.

It's not for everyone, though.

Blessings.

so putting words on my body is a means of starting conversation? I can think of simply opening my mouth and speaking thoughtfully and its cheaper!

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]43748[/split]

hi [MENTION=1]christian[/MENTION]: thanks; good idea to start a continuation; sometimes the technology can get a bit overloaded if the thread is longer.

so putting words on my body is a means of starting conversation? I can think of simply opening my mouth and speaking thoughtfully and its cheaper!
@jasoncran :

Such as 'John 3.16' or 'forgiven', etc.

Or even a Christian fish symbol: <>< (This was a popular symbol drawn in the sand by early Christians.)

You are right that the person's inner, spiritual testimony, often communicated by word, needs to match the outward sign or symbol.

Blessings.

yes but well it would have to be visible and on parts that if its causes sin it defeats the purpose. my sil does that but she has them on her arms.

As I said long ago in this thread (or one similar to it) the way better career for a Christian woman is to have a ministry of removing tattoos.

There people are beginning to see the err of the ways of the world and are ripe for the gospel message. Just the fact that one can have a 'permanent' tatoo removed is itself a kind of gracious thing that can lead a worldly person toward Christ. That's how God works. His kindness, expressed in so many ways in this world, leads us to salvation.

Christian woman, be an agent of that kindness and open a 'parlor' for removing tatoos from people beginning to come to their senses about the ways and values of the world so often expressed in getting a tattoo.

yes, while I don't judge peeps with tats that are saved but its kinda makes them appear to the world that they aren't a Christian. [MENTION=41474]farouk[/MENTION], not all those that have tattoos and are Christians use scriptures. some do have other things on them. idk.

yes but well it would have to be visible and on parts that if its causes sin it defeats the purpose. my sil does that but she has them on her arms.
@jasoncran :

Yes, well, assuming that Christians aren't going to go back to the Victorian era clothing customs of floor length dresses and long sleeves, then it's kind of evident that for a woman — such as your SIL — there are various, acknowledged, perfectly modest and decent placements at which to become tattooed. Arms and wrists being an example. Especially if the design content communicates faith.

Originally Posted by for_his_glory
The gender aspect should be the same for a women or a man, but since you did say a women then I would have no problem with that of a women owning her own parlor..

As @for_his_glory in her post said a while back, it's quite reasonable really to see it as a matter of equality for women to receive them and give them (if desired).

Blessings.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes but well that's the problem women that are in the faith place them on their abdomens. and I do mean that cause a man to look without having a tat.ie "beach body" if put john 3:16 as a tramp stamp or so forth that is the issue im mentioning.

yes but well that's the problem women that are in the faith place them on their abdomens. and I do mean that cause a man to look without having a tat.ie "beach body" if put john 3:16 as a tramp stamp or so forth that is the issue im mentioning.
[MENTION=11841]jasoncran[/MENTION]:

Yes, well there is of course a happy medium between Victorian floor length dresses and long sleeves and what you describe. Some placements may not be modest, but others are (unless the person is going to elevate Victorian customs as uniquely modest).

BTW, would your SIL's arm tattoos be faith based in design?

Blessings.

@jasoncran :

Yes, well, assuming that Christians aren't going to go back to the Victorian era clothing customs of floor length dresses and long sleeves, then it's kind of evident that for a woman — such as your SIL — there are various, acknowledged, perfectly modest and decent placements at which to become tattooed. Arms and wrists being an example. Especially if the design content communicates faith.

The gender aspect should be the same for a women or a man, but since you did say a women then I would have no problem with that of a women owning her own parlor..
As @for_his_glory in her post said a while back, it's quite reasonable really to see it as a matter of equality for women to receive them and give them.

Blessings.

It isn't so much the placement. It's the fact that you're getting one. That's the problem in all this.

Despite the fact that some think the world has now accepted tatoos, just getting one still communicates to some much about the person getting them whether we want to believe that, or not. I'm not saying we are to judge on that basis. I'm saying we're still in that phase regarding tattoos that the initial reaction to it is that non-conformist, liberal, promiscuous partiers are the one's who do that. Obviously, that won't be the case in twenty or thirty years when the people who brought tattooing into the church will have thoroughly succeeded in doing that.

they are, she has two but those really reflect her thoughts while they can be used in that manner. I just see the need to be that much the like the world to get the point across.why is it at times we have to be so imitative of the world to reach the world. I understand the being a jew to a jew and the strong thing that paul mentions but well if I went to tat parlor there is often a lot of flesh shown in the mags there. sorry that is the truth and usually a sinner doing the work.

@jasoncran :

As @for_his_glory in her post said a while back, it's quite reasonable really to see it as a matter of equality for women to receive them and give them.

Blessings.

It isn't the placement. It's the fact that you're getting one. That's the problem in all this.

Despite the fact that some think the world has now accepted tatoos, just getting one still communicates to some much about the person getting them whether we want to believe that, or not. I'm not saying we are to judge on that basis. I'm saying we're still in that phase regarding tattoos that the initial reaction to it is that non-conformist, liberal, promiscuous partiers are the one's who do that. Obviously, that won't be the case in twenty or thirty years when the people who brought tattooing into the church will have thoroughly succeeded in doing that.
@Jethro Bodine :

Well, obviously you're entitled to your observations, but I don't think for example that a homeschooling mom, or gramma, with her kids' or grandkids' initials and dates of birth in ornate calligraphy tattooed on her wrist, and maybe with a Bible ref. also, is going to make people think: 'Hey, this means she must sleep in a different bed every night'.

I just don't see it.

Blessings.

I just see the need to be that much the like the world to get the point across.why is it at times we have to be so imitative of the world to reach the world.
:thumbsup:thumbsup

I can't help but to see it as rationalizing the desire to continue the practice, and not so much about reaching the lost.

I'm a hard core '70's rocker and this reminds me of rockers who couldn't accept putting down all the glitz and glamour of the 60's and 70's rock scene to become Christians so they just brought it with them into the church in the 80's and insisted it was 'worship'.

they are, she has two but those really reflect her thoughts while they can be used in that manner. I just see the need to be that much the like the world to get the point across.why is it at times we have to be so imitative of the world to reach the world. I understand the being a jew to a jew and the strong thing that paul mentions but well if I went to tat parlor there is often a lot of flesh shown in the mags there. sorry that is the truth and usually a sinner doing the work.
[MENTION=11841]jasoncran[/MENTION]:

Ty; well, yes, I guess that re the parlor comment it underlines just how benefitial it can be if there is indeed a Christian-friendly atmosphere.

It kind of reinforces what the quote from mygraine says in the OP:

"The area in which I live, >16000 people, has five tattoo shops. Of the five, three are owned by women, of those three, two are owned and operated by Christians. So the thought of Christian women with tattoos is just how it is. My wife is no longer intimidated by the whole dark alley tat shop scene. When the artist is a Christian woman, it makes it more accessible for other Christian women. ..
My wife had tatts before Christ.. She states that she prefers the idea of an artist with a set of morals similar to our own. We are friends with two female tattoo artists .. For my wife it seems to come down to the money, she may get more later, as the finances become available."

Paul circumcised Timothy, not because it was compulsory, but in order to help him witness better to Jews.

I can understand Christians wanting a faith based design tattooed in order to help them witness better to other tattooed people, for example, by way of application of a similar idea.

So does your SIL say she has opportunities to talk to people that open up because of the faith based tattoos on her arms?

Blessings.

@jasoncran :

Blessings.

It isn't the placement. It's the fact that you're getting one. That's the problem in all this.

@Jethro Bodine :

Well, obviously you're entitled to your observations, but I don't think for example that a homeschooling mom, or gramma, with her kids' or grandkids' initials and dates of birth in ornate calligraphy tattooed on her wrist, and maybe with a Bible ref. also, is going to make people think: 'Hey, this means she must sleep in a different bed every night'.

I just don't see it.

Blessings.

At best it makes them look incredibly naive.

Sorry, but you have to ask yourself what's going on inside of an otherwise ordinary person (in the non-tattooing generations) that they would submit to something as rebellious as tattooing. That's just the way it is, Farouk. You'll have to live with that for another twenty or thirty years.

I just see the need to be that much the like the world to get the point across.why is it at times we have to be so imitative of the world to reach the world.
:thumbsup:thumbsup

I can't help but to see it as rationalizing the desire to continue the practice, and not so much about reaching the lost.

I'm a hard core '70's rocker and this reminds me of rockers who couldn't accept putting down all the glitz and glamour of the 60's and 70's rock scene to become Christians so they just brought it with them into the church in the 80's and insisted it was 'worship'.

Jethro Bodine:

By definition I guess a lot of Christians would say that worldly implies immodest. Some tattoos, especially faith based ones, in terms of their placement and design are thoroughly modest, though.

Blessings.

At best it makes them look incredibly naive.

Sorry, but you have to ask yourself what's going on inside of an otherwise ordinary person (in the non-tattooing generations) that they would submit to something as rebellious as tattooing. That's just the way it is, Farouk. You'll have to live with that for another twenty or thirty years.
@Jethro Bodine :

I find it hard to say that every homeschooling mom or military wife or gramma with tattoos that relate to kids and faith in God is by definition 'incredibly naive'.

I simply find it hard to think that while a bumper sticker that says 'God bless America' or 'God protect our families' is a fairly widespread sight, it suddenly becomes 'incredibly naive' if on a tattoo. I just don't see it, personally.

Blessings.

Back