Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Poll re. good tattoo artist career for a Christian woman

Tattoo artist: good career for a Christian woman

• Yes, I agree, it can often/sometimes be good

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • No, I disagree; always, nearly always a bad idea

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Not sure

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Prefer not to say

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Frankly, I just don't want people "reading" my daughter's clothing. It seems to violate the principles of modesty in my opinion.
But people "reading" her skin doesn't?

I tried to express to you how much 'speaking' a woman, particularly, does by posting messages on her body. Even though you and me aren't reading skin in that light, many, many, many men still do.

I tried to express to you how much 'speaking' a woman, particularly, does by posting messages on her body. Even though you and me aren't reading skin in that light, many, many, many men still do.

Jethro,

Umm....without getting too anatomical, I guess, for example a wrist and the bosom are somewhat distinct.

(I do agree with handy about tattoo placements.)

Blessings.

I'm in agreement with you, farouk... there is a distinct difference between a wrist, a calf, a shoulder... and the front torso of a woman.

If skin itself is that alluring to a man... he has a problem. I think most men are not going to be driven to distraction by the mere sight of skin or even ink on skin.

Unless it's placed very inappropriately. Messages on a shirt falls under the same principle.

..I don't have a problem with the idea of a Christian woman getting one on her ankle, calf, shoulder or arms... just not that big a deal to me.

handy:

Yes, what you say makes sense.

Far be it for me to pontificate.

But the placements you mention would seem to be particularly suitable, and doubtless in those placements there is plenty of scope and opportunity, I guess, for Christian women and Christian tattooists to do it.

(Like the many Christian women in your area that you were talking about, I guess.)

Blessings.

Here is my point of view.

A tattoo artist is an “Artist†whose chosen medium is ink on skin. This art can either be Christian or secular; it depends on the artist. In my opinion, this is no different than an artist who paints on canvas. The artist can either produce works of art that portray a Christian perspective or not.

I would like to think if a Christian operated a tattoo studio, he or she would adhere to sound Christian principles.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that tattoos are just a form of art, and can be good or bad, just like any other art form.

Be blessed.

Toby

I voted no.

I mean, a woman (or a man, not sure why gender matters here) could work in a tattoo parlour, and I'm not questioning that. ..

Nick:

You are right, of course; men and women can both give and receive tattoos equally. I think Christians are figuring this, too, that, though it used to be mainly a male thing, yet now many Christian women also expect to do it. What is true, however, is that in the past women were grossly unrepresented in parlors. But also if the owner is a Christian, then s/he can have more influence on the ethos of the parlor, and on the artwork displayed, etc.

Blessings.

It just so happens my friend owns a tattoo shop (go figure)

This is what customers are buying. Would a Christian Tattoo artist be comfortable doing stuff like this?

402876_10150500646399150_762140015_n.jpg

200460_10150117499089150_3594423_n.jpg

180319_500565579149_1870944_n.jpg

559224_10150944340074150_1442708150_n.jpg

Joe:

Actually, the skull motif has become quite popular with women for tattoos.

Although the skull design might have once been regarded as connoting the sinister and aggressive, yet by the nature of many skull tattoo designs it has actually been adapted also to become expressive of femininity and floral ornateness.

Bhakti Satalkar has written:

"The soft and feminine women who want a skull tattoo, opt for skull tattoos which are combined with flowers. The flowers can range from rose to hibiscus to lilies, etc. .. You may opt for skull tattoos surrounded by vines and thorns as well. They mean that you are soft and gentle when required and as hard as a nut to crack at other times. .. If you are a biker woman, you can place your skull tattoo on sleeves as the look great as armband tattoos for women" (from buzzle dot com).

Someone was telling me recently of a skull tattoo design that incorporated a Bible reference.

Blessings.

Last edited by a moderator:
I once was blessed to meet a gentle giant of a man at Sturgis. He attended prayer & Bible study with us. This man was probably 6'5", 250 pounds... a big burly bear of a biker boy.

He was also a hungry Christian.

After he turned his life to our Lord, he re-thought all the tattoos he had. One tatt was a large skull replete with barbed wire lacing thru the empty eyes, etc. He decided to have the words "withOUT John 3:16" incorporated within that skull.

It made a powerful statement. Saw him regularly for three years or so.... each year, he brought more of his group with him. The last year I was there, these men brought their wives with them. Their lives had greatly changed for the positive; all had turned their lives to our Lord, and used their time at Sturgis to share God's word.

Further, all of those lovely people were having their dark tatts altered in order for to show & share how God's love had blessed their lives.

Just 2-cents' worth.

:wave

Joe:

Although the skull design might have once been regarded as connoting the sinister and aggressive, yet by the nature of many skull tattoo designs it has actually been adapted also to become expressive of femininity and floral ornateness.

Bhakti Satalkar has written:

"The soft and feminine women who want a skull tattoo, opt for skull tattoos which are combined with flowers. The flowers can range from rose to hibiscus to lilies, etc. .. You may opt for skull tattoos surrounded by vines and thorns as well. They mean that you are soft and gentle when required and as hard as a nut to crack at other times. .. If you are a biker woman, you can place your skull tattoo on sleeves as the look great as armband tattoos for women" (from buzzle dot com).

Someone was telling me recently of a skull tattoo design that incorporated a Bible reference.

Blessings.
The skull has a very anti-Christian connotation for me, and I'm thinking almost all Christians. I don't think that view is limited to Christians, either.

I used to love skulls, and fire. I had a hooded top that was a skull, made up other skulls that were all on fire!! (says alot about me :lol)

The skull has a very anti-Christian connotation for me, and I'm thinking almost all Christians. I don't think that view is limited to Christians, either.

Nick:

DId you see AirDancer's post, above, where she describes a skull design that had been adapted to convey a Christian message?

Also, for many women who get skull tattoos, the motif can be made more 'soft', 'combined with flowers', 'gentle', as in the quote, above, from Bhakti Satalkar. For many people, it has gotten away from the formerly aggressive and sinister connotations.

Anyway, a previous poster seemed to identify the mere existence of the shull motif as a principal reason for not exercising the tattoo artist profession, but I wonder if this is to overstate things somewhat.

Blessings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe:

Women, not ladies.

Although the skull design might have once been regarded as connoting the sinister and aggressive...
Still does, don't kid yourself.

...yet by the nature of many skull tattoo designs it has actually been adapted also to become expressive of femininity and floral ornateness.
Not a chance. You're kidding yourself.

For me, this removes any and all respect for your POV about tattoos on Christians. You basically tipped your cards and now I know for sure where to categorize your foolish argument for tattoos on Christian women.

I once was blessed to meet a gentle giant of a man at Sturgis. He attended prayer & Bible study with us. This man was probably 6'5", 250 pounds... a big burly bear of a biker boy.

He was also a hungry Christian.

After he turned his life to our Lord, he re-thought all the tattoos he had. One tatt was a large skull replete with barbed wire lacing thru the empty eyes, etc. He decided to have the words "withOUT John 3:16" incorporated within that skull.

It made a powerful statement. Saw him regularly for three years or so.... each year, he brought more of his group with him. The last year I was there, these men brought their wives with them. Their lives had greatly changed for the positive; all had turned their lives to our Lord, and used their time at Sturgis to share God's word.

Further, all of those lovely people were having their dark tatts altered in order for to show & share how God's love had blessed their lives.

Just 2-cents' worth.

:wave
Yes. As I said in the other thread. Leave the ministry of tattoos to those who have come out of that lifestyle and have them already. They are the ones who will be influential in regard to sharing the gospel to those caught in that lifestyle. Not bus drivers, and computer programmers, and cashiers, and moms who naively think they should get a tattoo and think it can somehow be a witnessing tool to hardened partiers. They laugh at people who do that.

If skin itself is that alluring to a man... he has a problem.
It isn't the skin. It's a tattoo on skin. And since when does pointing out it's a problem somehow solve anything, or make it okay to make what we approve of now okay? The men of the world are what they are. We all HAVE to stop being naive about these kinds of things and acknowledge what it means to many men in the world, and saved men who still struggle with the allure of the old lifestyle Christ saved them out of.

I think most men are not going to be driven to distraction by the mere sight of skin or even ink on skin.
Skin? You're right.

But a tattoo on skin? You are very, very wrong. I think you're just very naive about the whole lifestyle. That's a compliment. Don't be offended. It's good to be innocent about what is evil. But we also need to be educated about what is evil.

Unless it's placed very inappropriately. Messages on a shirt falls under the same principle.
I find this interesting that you're okay with permanently inking one's skin, but against putting the same message on a T-shirt. There's something wrong with that thinking.

Jethro:

Do you really advocate Victorian-style long dresses and sleeves for women?

(BTW: I thought your comment against 'women' rather than 'ladies' was somewhat gratuitous, also.)

Not bus drivers, and computer programmers, and cashiers, and moms ...

Actually, many bus drivers, computer programmers, cashiers and moms already do happen to have tattoos. (And many bus drivers, computer programmers and cashiers are women, too.)

Blessings.

Jethro:

Do you really advocate Victorian-style long dresses and sleeves for women?
Did you not read my post to Handy?

It's not about the skin. It's about tattooed skin.

(BTW: I thought your comment against 'women' rather than 'ladies' was somewhat gratuitous, also.)
A skull tattoo is hardly the modesty Peter was referring to in the Bible.
It's ridiculous to try to even argue the point...no matter how you adorn a skull.

Actually, many bus drivers, computer programmers, cashiers and moms already do happen to have tattoos. (And many bus drivers, computer programmers and cashiers are women, too.)
Sadly, more and more, for sure. But I'm confident it's still in the minority.

And even if it really were 'many', that still does not make their tattoos an effective witness to bikers, strippers, and partiers. Leave that to those who have come out of that lifestyle. Trust me, they are the one's that can reach the tattooed of the world the best.

Jethro...

Again with the messages.... it's not the message, it's the placement on the body... If a woman has a message emblazoned across her bosom, it calls attention to her bosom. Doesn't matter if it's inked there or on a t-shirt.

If she has "Jesus is Love" tatted on her wrist, it will call attention to her wrist. But, that's not akin to having a message emblazoned across her chest. It's much more akin to having a WWJD bracelet. I don't see anything wrong with a woman wearing a bracelet, either a removable one or an inked one.

As for this exchange:

Me:I think most men are not going to be driven to distraction by the mere sight of skin or even ink on skin.

Jethro: Skin? You're right.

But a tattoo on skin? You are very, very wrong. I think you're just very naive about the whole lifestyle. That's a compliment. Don't be offended. It's good to be innocent about what is evil. But we also need to be educated about what is
evil.

Farouk, maybe this could be the subject of a new poll for you... How many men are automatically tempted by the mere sight of a faith-based tattoo on a Christian woman's arm, wrist or calf and automatically think that their sister in the Lord is hardly a "LADY" for the mere fact of sporting one.

After all, Jethro has insisted for a number of threads now that MOST men view it this way... so the results should be overwhelmingly on one side.

As for me... I'm about tatted out... I can't think of anything new to add to the conversation that I haven't already said a number of times.

Farouk, maybe this could be the subject of a new poll for you... How many men are automatically tempted by the mere sight of a faith-based tattoo on a Christian woman's arm, wrist or calf and automatically think that their sister in the Lord is hardly a "LADY" for the mere fact of sporting one.

After all, Jethro has insisted for a number of threads now that MOST men view it this way... so the results should be overwhelmingly on one side.
You won't learn much from the skewed audience in this forum.

I wouldn't even assume that a woman is not a lady for having a faith based tattoo on her wrist (skulls don't constitute a faith based tattoo). I don't think you've been understanding the many facets of this argument. I really don't.

Good to read your spunky side Dora, We, (even Jetho i am sure) :) are so very thankful you are well! Praise the Lord!

Nick:

DId you see AirDancer's post, above, where she describes a skull design that had been adapted to convey a Christian message?

Also, for many women who get skull tattoos, the motif can be made more 'soft', 'combined with flowers', 'gentle', as in the quote, above, from Bhakti Satalkar. For many people, it has gotten away from the formerly aggressive and sinister connotations.

Anyway, a previous poster seemed to identify the mere existence of the shull motif as a principal reason for not exercising the tattoo artist profession, but I wonder if this is to overstate things somewhat.

Blessings.

Please tell me you're not advocating Christians getting skull tattoos.

Back