Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Poll re. good tattoo artist career for a Christian woman

Tattoo artist: good career for a Christian woman

• Yes, I agree, it can often/sometimes be good

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • No, I disagree; always, nearly always a bad idea

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Not sure

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Prefer not to say

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
PS:
mygraine The area in which I live, >16000 people, has five tattoo shops. Of the five, three are owned by women, of those three, two are owned and operated by Christians. So the thought of Christian women with tattoos is just how it is. My wife is no longer intimidated by the whole dark alley tat shop scene. When the artist is a Christian woman, it makes it more accessible for other Christian women. ..
My wife had tatts before Christ.. She states that she prefers the idea of an artist with a set of morals similar to our own. We are friends with two female tattoo artists .. For my wife it seems to come down to the money, she may get more later, as the finances become available
Yes, well I reckon it's certainly a service that many more Christian women would be interested in, and would be delighted to use if they knew they would feel really comfortable. Older Christian women particularly have a gentle and authoritative manner and would be able to give advice and guidance about the potentials of Christian designs, and what might and might not be suitable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't get in on the vote but I would have to say no, unless she didn't do certain types of designs and only on other women.

Old fashion maybe but I wouldn't want one of my daughters doing it so...no.

I didn't get in on the vote but I would have to say no, unless she didn't do certain types of designs and only on other women.

Old fashion maybe but I wouldn't want one of my daughters doing it so...no.

Deborah13:

Thanks a lot for your comments.

No need to say any more if you don't want to, but in the light of your slight proviso, above, I just wondered if you would at least understand and at some level just about sympathize with Christian women such as mygraine's wife, above, who thinks
When the artist is a Christian woman, it makes it more accessible for other Christian women. ..My wife had tatts before Christ.. She states that she prefers the idea of an artist with a set of morals similar to our own
Blessings.

Thanks for pointing this out for me, farouk. I thought that I had voted, but apparently, I haven't. Oh well...I guess my opinion would be that being a tattoo artist would be an acceptable career for a Christian woman, but I'm not sure it would be the best one. :)

Deborah13:

Thanks a lot for your comments.

No need to say any more if you don't want to, but in the light of your slight proviso, above, I just wondered if you would at least understand and at some level just about sympathize with Christian women such as mygraine's wife, above, who thinks Blessings.

I can certainly see her point of view and yes sympathize with her and I would feel the same way.
I was looking at the over side. The side of the artist. If I were a christian tatoo artist I would not want to do designs that were not Godly (indecent, violent, etc.) and I would not want to be in close physical contact with the people who wanted them or men in general ). That is why I gave the description of above.

If a woman just did decent designs and only for women I would have no problem with it, even if one of my daughters were to do them.

Doesn't seem like it would be a very profitable career is the sense of money. Doubt one could make a living at it.

I can certainly see her point of view and yes sympathize with her and I would feel the same way.
I was looking at the over side. The side of the artist. If I were a christian tatoo artist I would not want to do designs that were not Godly (indecent, violent, etc.) and I would not want to be in close physical contact with the people who wanted them or men in general ). That is why I gave the description of above.

If a woman just did decent designs and only for women I would have no problem with it, even if one of my daughters were to do them.

Doesn't seem like it would be a very profitable career is the sense of money. Doubt one could make a living at it.

Deborah13:

Thanks a lot for your comments. I guess it also speaks volumes that in suitable circumstances you'd even feel comfortable if your daughter was giving tattoos.

Yes, women have definitely achieved tattoo equality with men, in the sense that women give and receive tattoos as much as men do, even more so, sometimes; some parlors report that 60 - 70 % of their clients are women. (There's also a lot of potential for faith based designs, of course.)

Blessings.

Deborah13:

Thanks a lot for your comments. I guess it also speaks volumes that in suitable circumstances you'd even feel comfortable if your daughter was giving tattoos.

Yes, women have definitely achieved tattoo equality with men, in the sense that women give and receive tattoos as much as men do, even more so, sometimes; some parlors report that 60 - 70 % of their clients are women. (There's also a lot of potential for faith based designs, of course.)

Blessings.

Farouk what kind of work are you involved in. All I can do is SMH. For a Christian man your concept of witnessing leaves a lot to be desired.

Farouk what kind of work are you involved in. All I can do is SMH. For a Christian man your concept of witnessing leaves a lot to be desired.

abide:

What you highlighted is actually factual.

Re. witnessing, which rightly concerns you, ink faith based designs are one of many methods, and one would have thought that a Bible ref. design (etc.) would be regarded as a positive thing.

(I have various income strands, so, anyway...)

Blessings.

abide:

What you highlighted is actually factual.

Re. witnessing, which rightly concerns you, ink faith based designs are one of many methods, and one would have thought that a Bible ref. design (etc.) would be regarded as a positive thing.

(I have various income strands, so, anyway...)

Blessings.

farouk, Your INBOX is full and you can't receive messages. AND I can't send you a new tatoo design....LOL

I sure hate to be a drag, but I've never understood the desire for tattoos. To me, they just make one look unsophisticated. Add to that snobery, the knowledge that they were forbidden under Mosaic law and they HURT!!! That's enough for me!! :)

Oh yea, and there is always the risk of infections.

And if I've not been enough of a drag on the whole tattoo party, I've seen people take great lengths to get them removed cause they just don't want them anymore, causing them an additional amount of physical and psychological and economic hardship.

But hey, if you like them and feel that God is on board with it, I guess that is all you need.

Edit: I'm also way to cheap to pay for one. :lol

Ok, enough of the wet blanket.

Anyone want to design me a tattoo if I give them the parameters? :)

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

"The reasons why puncturing the skin should be regarded with some degree of awe are not far to seek, for in the first place, there is the drawing of blood, which to the savage world over is full of significance as a rejuvenating and immortalizing factor. There is in addition to the opening of numerous inlets for evil to enter. . ."
(Hambly Wilfrid D. 1925. The History of Tattooing and its Significance, p. 233, cited in Gilbert, Steve, Tattoo History: A Source Book, p. 162)

And the bible reeference would be Lev 19;28 and

Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of devils.
1 Corinthians 10:21

So I guess the Red Cross should never ask you for a donation. And of coarse you would never get a transfusion in surgery as it would have come from the demonic drawing of blood.

So I guess the Red Cross should never ask you for a donation. And of coarse you would never get a transfusion in surgery as it would have come from the demonic drawing of blood.

Deborah13:

Joe has been quiet lately :) , (though I couldn't really follow his argument, anyway).

It's a bit like double pierced ears, really, I guess: while 35 years ago it might have been thought to be a teeny bit edgy and identified with very young women, yet today women of all ages have them, and it's a very widely established thing. Same with tattoos, really, or well on the way there, at any rate: given the sheer proportion of women in North America that use tattoo services, I reckon that among Christian families if women as well as men choose to get something faith related done as a witness talking point or as a personal reminder, it need not be regarded as a controversial thing to have done (or to work at professionally, either: tattooing can be a perfectly womanly thing both to receive and to give).

Blessings.

.. I've never understood the desire for tattoos. To me, they just make one look unsophisticated...

wonby1:

Fine. The desire has obviously not gripped you! :) & some people would suggest precisely the opposite, as it happens...

PS:
The gender aspect should be the same for a women or a man, but since you did say a women then I would have no problem with that of a women owning her own parlor, but needs to be discreet.

for his glory: I agree. The confidence brought to many women by the tattoo equality that now exists among men and women is a good thing. While also it should be recognized that some Christian women prefer to be inked by women, especially Christian women, and so if Christian women choose to have it done, they should do it confidently and can do it discreetly, too. Blessings.

Note:

In recent days there have been a lot of posts on the ear piercing thread which are actually more relevant to this one. The other thread has been merged in any case, so I guess keeping to topic would make sense.

Blessings.

I guess it could work but it would be kinda like being a Christian pole dancer. Unless the top is coming off she isn't gonna make any money.

A Christian tattoo artist would be in the same predicament, what she is offering isn't what the typical tattoo shop customer is wanting to buy

you make a good point, when walking in most tattoo shops, the walls are filled with dragons, pentagrams, and most occult symbolism that is derived from this early form of paganism, being a Christian tattoo artist hopefully would not involve putting these demonic symbols on people for the sheer profit of money, not sure how much business a Christian could make since many piercings (genital) and would probably be not acceptable for one to perform, .........yes much like your picture of a Christian pole dancer that kept her clothes on, pretty much don't see a big following

you make a good point, when walking in most tattoo shops, the walls are filled with dragons, pentagrams, and most occult symbolism that is derived from this early form of paganism, being a Christian tattoo artist hopefully would not involve putting these demonic symbols on people for the sheer profit of money, not sure how much business a Christian could make since many piercings (genital) and would probably be not acceptable for one to perform, .........yes much like your picture of a Christian pole dancer that kept her clothes on, pretty much don't see a big following

vocal: But it's hard to equate, for example, a preacher's daughter getting a favorite Bible reference on her wrist, with a risquée, nude artiste.

(And what about Christians working in health care, who need to perform pap smears, etc? I'm not advocating the particular piercings you refer to, and not all tattooists do the whole range of piercings, if any.)

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back