Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Poll re. good tattoo artist career for a Christian woman

Tattoo artist: good career for a Christian woman

• Yes, I agree, it can often/sometimes be good

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • No, I disagree; always, nearly always a bad idea

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Not sure

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Prefer not to say

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
What do you say to this?

You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor tattoo any marks upon you: I am the LORD. Leviticus 19:28

The first part of the verse seems to be referring to worship, however the latter part doesn't specify. (Is the Hebrew different?)

Latest-Memorial-Tattoo-Design-520x390.jpg

Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. Matthew 5:17

What do you say to this?

You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor tattoo any marks upon you: I am the LORD. Leviticus 19:28

The first part of the verse seems to be referring to worship, however the latter part doesn't specify. (Is the Hebrew different?)

Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. Matthew 5:17

Yosef:

A verse or two adjacent, it says about men not trimming the corners of their beards.

How many preachers shave?

Doesn't this belong ceremonially to Old Testament Jews in the land under the law?

(I happen to subscribe to a dispensational understanding of Scripture, also.)

Romans 14 speaks a lot about Christian liberty and respecting people's motives; one does not necessarily have to share a fellow-Christian's wish to witness with a faith based design, but one can respect the motive, nonetheless.

Yosef:

A verse or two adjacent, it says about men not trimming the corners of their beards.

How many preachers shave?

Doesn't this belong ceremonially to Old Testament Jews in the land under the law?

(I happen to subscribe to a dispensational understanding of Scripture, also.)

Romans 14 speaks a lot about Christian liberty and respecting people's motives; one does not necessarily have to share a fellow-Christian's wish to witness with a faith based design, but one can respect the motive, nonetheless.

So then is or is not YHWH a changing God?

So then is or is not YHWH a changing God?

As you will appreciate from Scripture being revealed over many centuries, in Hebrew and Greek among quite differing times and peoples, the fact that Romans 14 speaks of respecting Christian liberty (you do, don't you?) and the fact that there are things which are adjacent to the verse referred to in Leviticus which are not practised by the professing church which has fulness of revelation in Christ in the light of the New Testament: these facts cannot just be dismissed.

(But I think we are moving away thoroughly away from tattoos and into theology.)

I understand that we are free from sin, but not free to sin. If Yeshua was not to abolish the law or the prophets, could you lead me to the verses that say which commandments we are free to throw away?

I understand that we are free from sin, but not free to sin. If Yeshua was not to abolish the law or the prophets, could you lead me to the verses that say which commandments we are free to throw away?

Yosef:

Your statement is framed in somewhat provocative language, because we know, for example, that in Peter's vision at Cornelius's house in Acts he was commanded by God not to call unclean (Acts 10.15) what would henceforth be sanctified. Paul Himself, as regards ritual circumcision, strongly resisted the idea that it should any longer be compulsory (Galatians 2.11).

So in the New Testament one really is under a new order of things.

So:

:topictotopic

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:tongueunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:biggrinontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> I saw these comments by a mom, who identified several positive reasons, where parental consent is still required, why she feels allowing a young person a tattoo is a good and beneficial idea:

I am pretty normal and conservative.. I believe that allowing your teenager to get a tattoo is helping them. .. 1) Helps teenagers get over loss. .. 2) Covers a noticeable scar. .. The tattoo parlor I took my daughter to.. had a page with tattoos of before.. and after..wonderfully done. ..3) Teaches responsibility. ..One friend of mine made her daughter get straight A's ..to get the tattoo. ..4) Art expression. My daughter ..has several friends that created their .. design .. for a class grade, then took the design to the tattoo parlor and were then ' inked'. .. 5) Expression of religious faith. ..one of the main reasons that our daughter decided to get a tattoo. .. her faith and love for God would never go away..She decided on a heart with an anchor in it. ..Hebrews 6:19.. says "We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure."
Dahloan Hembree<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:tongueunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:biggrinontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:tongueunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:biggrinontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->[FONT=&quot]http://voices.yahoo dot com/why-teenager-tattoo-4169423.html?cat=69[/FONT]
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
Personally I would probably be even more conservative than this mom who describes herself as conservative, in that my suggestion would be to wait until parental consent is no longer required. But the points she has identified are maybe quite valid and can still be taken on their merits, I reckon. Blessings.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

Last edited by a moderator:
As a moderator: We will respect the purpose of the OP here. Apologetics is the better forum for certain discussion. If we presume upon the grace of the OP, then we must do so gracefully.

As a moderator: We will respect the purpose of the OP here. Apologetics is the better forum for certain discussion. If we presume upon the grace of the OP, then we must do so gracefully.

Sparrowhawke:

Ty for your comment.

I don't mind critical feedback at all, as long as the person understands that s/he in turn may be challenged also, including from Scripture.

Keep the comments coming, guys...

Blessings.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:tongueunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:biggrinontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> PS: from back
.. I feel a tattoo, being a permanent fixture on one's body, is something that over time could become something that one could tire of. Also, have you seen a tattoo on an older person? Lets face it, the skin sags, and depending on where it is, it could look pretty gruesome. ..

Thirstyone:

What people don't always realize is that for optimum tattoo wearing a little extra ink to restore color can be usefully injected, with gaps of maybe some years in between.

I guess if the Christian has gotten a faith design particularly as a witness means, then going back under the needle for added ink to restore the same Bible ref., etc., can be an added motivation to go back for a tattoo touch up.

So I wouldn't be too concerned about this aspect, if I were you; the connoisseur of tattoo wearing will maybe quite regularly go back to his or her tattooist anyway.

(If this makes sense?)

Blessings.

PS:
..I have no basis for a judgement on all parlor, some may be Ok.
@Deborah13 :

Just wanted to say as well that you not unusually may find it can be like a beauty salon, with comfy armchairs, glossy magazines and a nice, polite and somewhat fashionable lady answering people's questions patiently and professionally.

If you were ever curious enough, stopping by a parlor when in town might prove to be interesting (not because you would yourself be a client, necessarily, but just to see, and ask one or two questions). Among artists, it's regarded as unprofessional to try to do a 'hard sell', so people simply stopping by with any simple question wouldn't be unusual.

As always it's the witness potential of the designs for Christians that is the most significant for me, anyway.

Blessings.

What do you say to this?

one would think if God didn't care for something in the old testiment, why anyone who is trying to live a life pleasing to Him would want to go down that path to begin with makes no sense to me

Just to reiterate that I'm not just saying, Go get a tattoo, period.

I'll even say that the thing in itself is of little or no value, when other considerations are not taken into account.

Just that today, so many people get tattoos, especially young people. At 18, it has quite become a widespread custom to go to the parlor as a birthday thing.

Fact is also, many Christians have faith based tattoos, which, if obtained with a view to promoting testimony conversations with people, do prove to have this effect regularly. Example: a while back I talked to a guy of about 18 who had had the entire verse John 3.16 inked onto his arm. I'm sure that I have not been or will not be the only person that talked to him as a result of it.

Some people, instead of quoting a whole verse, might simply get a Bible verse reference, say, done on a wrist.

Personally I would not discount any witness conversation provoked as a result of such a tattoo.

Presumably, if another Christian gets a Bible verse witness tattoo, it would generally come under Romans 14 and Christian liberty. (Unless one is going to try to take away from them the idea of being under grace and put them under the ceremonial law again, or something like that.)

Your comment is appreciated; this would be my general response, I guess.

vocalyocal:

Just to reiterate that I'm not just saying, Go get a tattoo, period.

I'll even say that the thing in itself is of little or no value, when other considerations are not taken into account.

Just that today, so many people get tattoos, especially young people. At 18, it has quite become a widespread custom to go to the parlor as a birthday thing.

Fact is also, many Christians have faith based tattoos, which, if obtained with a view to promoting testimony conversations with people, do prove to have this effect regularly. Example: a while back I talked to a guy of about 18 who had had the entire verse John 3.16 inked onto his arm. I'm sure that I have not been or will not be the only person that talked to him as a result of it.

Some people, instead of quoting a whole verse, might simply get a Bible verse reference, say, done on a wrist.

Personally I would not discount any witness conversation provoked as a result of such a tattoo.

Presumably, if another Christian gets a Bible verse witness tattoo, it would generally come under Romans 14 and Christian liberty. (Unless one is going to try to take away from them the idea of being under grace and put them under the ceremonial law again, or something like that.)

Your comment is appreciated; this would be my general response, I guess.

I'm glad to have this thread come up again. One of Lexy profs was teaching about discrimination in the church. He mentioned examples such as, different denomination, skin color, age, or having their tatoo on the wrong arm. Boy did we laugh and think of these threads.
Her prof is in his sixties or so and makes her class fun as they delve into serious issue in living a Christian life and how they represent Christ to the world.

I'm glad to have this thread come up again. One of Lexy profs was teaching about discrimination in the church. He mentioned examples such as, different denomination, skin color, age, or having their tatoo on the wrong arm. Boy did we laugh and think of these threads.
Her prof is in his sixties or so and makes her class fun as they delve into serious issue in living a Christian life and how they represent Christ to the world.

Deborah13:

Well, ty, and this is interesting because I've never heard of the 'having their tattoo on the wrong arm' thing before.

I learn something every day, it seems!

Like, it might have something to do with whether the tattooee is left- or right-handed, I suppose. (Not sure.)

Anyway, you can tell Lexy that this is a very interesting point that has been raised.

Does anyone know whether the left or right arm is supposedly preferable for a tattoo? (or a bracelet, come to that). :chin

I guess it's a bit like wondering whether an ankle tattoo or chain is on the left or right ankle (in my humble view such a discussion about the ankle aspect wouldn't lead very far at all).

But it's an interesting point.

Blessings.

Deborah13:

Well, ty, and this is interesting because I've never heard of the 'having their tattoo on the wrong arm' thing before.

I learn something every day, it seems!

Like, it might have something to do with whether the tattooee is left- or right-handed, I suppose. (Not sure.)

Anyway, you can tell Lexy that this is a very interesting point that has been raised.

Does anyone know whether the left or right arm is supposedly preferable for a tattoo? (or a bracelet, come to that). :chin

I guess it's a bit like wondering whether an ankle tattoo or chain is on the left or right ankle (in my humble view such a discussion about the ankle aspect wouldn't lead very far at all).

But it's an interesting point.

Blessings.

I really don't know. I think the prof's point was, as I'm sure you realize, that as Christians we can be too judgemental and discriminate against others who are different or see things differently than we do.
Most of Lexy profs are older and have been Christians for many, many years. Some have spent years in the mission field as well as pastored churches. Lots of experience in the Christian life.

I really don't know. I think the prof's point was, as I'm sure you realize, that as Christians we can be too judgemental and discriminate against others who are different or see things differently than we do.
Most of Lexy profs are older and have been Christians for many, many years. Some have spent years in the mission field as well as pastored churches. Lots of experience in the Christian life.

Deborah13:

Yes, maybe Lexy's prof was speaking hypothetically, even.

I take the point, yes.

By way of application to tattoos: there is another thread, started by Obadiah who is a biker, about the fact that some folk are kind of prejudiced against bikers. I tried to make the point that if a group of bikers in leather jackets and pants shows at the parking lot of a Crackel Barrel, it is just as likely (or even more likely?) to be an outing of deacon's wives on a church outing, as it is Hell's Angels, and by extension, any tattoos they may be wearing might just as likely (or even more likely?) be faith based as they would be to do with gangs or Hell's Angels' initiation rites or whatever.

So I guess one's cultural and aesthetic outlook about such matters need not just get stuck at around 1950 or whenever. (If it was really true even then?)

Blessings.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back