Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Poll: Respecting her tattoo wish

Should Christians respect a woman's wish for a tattoo?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
It's all about motive, right?

Blessings.
No.

You don't have to agree, but it was made plain to you that tattooing isn't just about you.

Jesus prophesied about the corrupting of the kingdom, like leaven in bread, and it's going to happen, but we each have a responsibility to not be one who aided the process. The witness you are sure tattooing is to the kingdom is actually just showing the world how much like it we are.

"<SUP class=versenum>2 </SUP>Do not conform to the pattern of this world..." (Romans 12:2 NASB)
@Jethro Bodine :

By 'it was made plain' I think you mean this is your interpretation.

Romans 14 was also written by Paul as well as Romans 12; in neither does he specifically mention tattoos.

Blessings.

Paul writes about not passing judgment on one another in Romans 14, but he also warns us not to cause another to stumble in that same chapter. Paul wrote, “Do not, for the sake of food, destroy the work of God. Everything is indeed clean, but it is wrong for anyone to make another stumble by what he eats.</SPAN> <SUP></SUP>It is good not to eat meat or drink wine or do anything that causes your brother to stumble.†Rom. 14:20-21, ESV
<O:tongue</O:tongue
The fear I have is that threads like this will cause a person who is young in faith to get a tattoo without fully knowing what he or she is getting into. Now fast forward and the young in faith Christian is now on a diet of meat and has been shown by the Holy Spirit that tattoos are a part of the world and not of Christ. What is that person supposed to do? Once one gets a tattoo there are few options for removing it, and the options that do exist are very expensive.
Now for the big question; who is responsible? Is it the young in Christ person that got the tattoo or is it the mature Christian that suggests that tattoos are acceptable.

Be blessed.

Toby

Blessings.
No.

You don't have to agree, but it was made plain to you that tattooing isn't just about you.

Jesus prophesied about the corrupting of the kingdom, like leaven in bread, and it's going to happen, but we each have a responsibility to not be one who aided the process. The witness you are sure tattooing is to the kingdom is actually just showing the world how much like it we are.

"<SUP class=versenum>2 </SUP>Do not conform to the pattern of this world..." (Romans 12:2 NASB)
@Jethro Bodine :

By 'it was made plain' I think you mean this is your interpretation.

Romans 14 was also written by Paul as well as Romans 12; in neither does he specifically mention tattoos.

Blessings.

Paul writes about not passing judgment on one another in Romans 14, but he also warns us not to cause another to stumble in that same chapter. Paul wrote, “Do not, for the sake of food, destroy the work of God. Everything is indeed clean, but it is wrong for anyone to make another stumble by what he eats.</SPAN> <SUP></SUP>It is good not to eat meat or drink wine or do anything that causes your brother to stumble.” Rom. 14:20-21, ESV
The fear I have is that threads like this will cause a person who is young in faith to get a tattoo without fully knowing what he or she is getting into. Now fast forward and the young in faith Christian is now on a diet of meat and has been shown by the Holy Spirit that tattoos are a part of the world and not of Christ. What is that person supposed to do? Once one gets a tattoo there are few options for removing it, and the options that do exist are very expensive.
Now for the big question; who is responsible? Is it the young in Christ person that got the tattoo or is it the mature Christian that suggests that tattoos are acceptable.

Be blessed.

Toby
[MENTION=88442]tandemcpl[/MENTION]: I think I see what you are saying.

I don't think that talking about it is a no-no, though, especially since some faith based designs definitely do lead to conversations with people.

Also my position would be that I'm not saying to folk, Go get a tattoo. Nope.

What I would say is that if ppl are already intending to get one, if the person is Christian, far better to get one that might also do some good, and lead to people thinking about the faith based meaning.

Like with the Christian fish symbol, often used by the early disciples: <><.

Thanks for your contribution.

Blessings.

Blessings.
No.

"<sup class="versenum">2 </sup>Do not conform to the pattern of this world..." (Romans 12:2 NASB)

In the end it's a hermeneutic matter, I guess. It's not sound interpretation for one person to make what at best may be a not totally objective inference in Scripture, into something supposedly explicit, and the try to impose it on all Christians.

If one did this in other areas, one could end up asserting and imposing all sorts of prohibitions and ideas.

(From back)

Personally the most I would probably do is use one of those temporary tattoo things. Or maybe draw on my arms and hands with a pen. I did that last one today. lol
[MENTION=89910]questdriven[/MENTION]:

So did you do it again...?

Blessings.

This thread has been going on for over a year.

Why is the poll closed?

Hi [MENTION=92945]allenwynne[/MENTION]:

A poll lasts however long it was originally programmed to last.

So is there a good parlor near you? and do you find faith based designs to be effective conversation-starters?

Why is the poll closed?

So is there a good parlor near you? and do you find faith based designs to be effective conversation-starters?

Lol, no interest here. I was just looking for something to do by reading the thread.

Why is the poll closed?

Lol, no interest here. I was just looking for something to do by reading the thread.
[MENTION=92945]allenwynne[/MENTION]: So are you married? but if you are, I guess whether your wife, as opposed to you, has been interested to get one is a matter best left for her to tell us.

Blessings.

I think tatoos are of the world and that we should separate from the world in whatever ways we can.
I think it's the same as smoking cigarettes in public or drinking in bars.
But we all have our things I guess.
But I see promoting tatoos is the same as promoting the ways of the world.
You can smoke a cigarette in private and you can have a drink in private but you can't hide your tatoos.
God had the Jews be circumcized to show the world that they were his people.
He had us become circumcized in the heart to show everyone that we are his people.
Tatoos weren't included.

I think tatoos are of the world and that we should separate from the world in whatever ways we can.
You can smoke a cigarette in private and you can have a drink in private but you can't hide your tatoos.
He had us become circumcized in the heart to show everyone that we are his people.
Tatoos weren't included.

Thanks for the comments.

I guess there is a huge variety in tattoo designs, and that particularly if a faith based design stimulates testimony conversations they might be at the very least covered by the Christian liberty aspects of Romans 14.

Blessings.

Tatoos weren't included.

Thanks for the comments.

I guess there is a huge variety in tattoo designs, and that particularly if a faith based design stimulates testimony conversations they might be at the very least covered by the Christian liberty aspects of Romans 14.

Blessings.

I can't debate what you say here.
Just my opinion.

Tatoos weren't included.
I'm trying to figure out a way to say...

:thumbsup

Tatoos weren't included.

Thanks for the comments.

Blessings.

I don't see them starting a conversation about Christ and the gospel as you claim they can. I see them starting a conversation about whether Christians can, or should, have them. IOW, creating needless and fruitless controversy and division, not converts to Christ.

And how can they be covered by the liberties of Romans 14 since the practice breaks the rules of Romans 14 for indulging what a person thinks is their Christian freedom to do?

Tatoos weren't included.

Thanks for the comments.

Blessings.

I don't see them starting a conversation about Christ and the gospel as you claim they can. I see them starting a conversation about whether Christians can, or should, have them. IOW, creating needless and fruitless controversy and division, not converts to Christ.

And how can they be covered by the liberties of Romans 14 since the practice breaks the rules of Romans 14 for indulging what a person thinks is their Christian freedom to do?

As you know, Romans 14.5 & 22 says:

"Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. .. Happy [is] he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth."

And if the design is Scripture based and it leads to thought or discussion about Scripture, then it's hard to say that its content has stimulated wrong thought.

...if the design is Scripture based and it leads to thought or discussion about Scripture, then it's hard to say that its content has stimulated wrong thought.
I had a link to the cover of Cosmo that was on stands last month, or the month before, but it seems to have changed to a new month's cover. But if you can dig it up somewhere you'll see her 'faith based' tattoos are more along the lines of the proverbial 'gold ring in the snout of a pig'.

How is it that woman will even remotely provoke a legitimate conversation about Christ and the gospel, and not just a conversation about tattoos and worldly women's fashion? She'll hardly be a witness to the power of the gospel to unsaved women, and a poor example to saved woman. And to men...do I even have to comment?

"2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind." (Romans 12:2 NASB)

...if the design is Scripture based and it leads to thought or discussion about Scripture, then it's hard to say that its content has stimulated wrong thought.
I had a link to the cover of Cosmo that was on stands last month, or the month before, but it seems to have changed to a new month's cover. But if you can dig it up somewhere you'll see her 'faith based' tattoos are more along the lines of the proverbial 'gold ring in the snout of a pig'.

How is it that woman will even remotely provoke a legitimate conversation about Christ and the gospel, and not just a conversation about tattoos and worldly women's fashion? She'll hardly be a witness to the power of the gospel to unsaved women, and a poor example to saved woman. And to men...do I even have to comment?

"2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind." (Romans 12:2 NASB)

So if a Godly young woman has a Christian fish sign on her wrist, or a Bible ref. such as Philippians 4.13, you would call this a 'gold ring in the snout of a pig'?

So if a Godly young woman has a Christian fish sign on her wrist, or a Bible ref. such as Philippians 4.13, you would call this a 'gold ring in the snout of a pig'?
No, not categorically.

It's what often accompanies the tattooed woman that would cause me to call it that.

Just so you know, my daughter has three tattoos. She's not a Christian so it's not an issue. But it's also true she doesn't look disgusting as some women do by what they get tattooed on themselves and where--and I'm not even talking about the tramp stamp.

Back