Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[__ Prayer __] Prayer for severe depression

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Certainly pray for you. What is the origin of your depression? Do you know? Mine is caused by repressed memories of childhood sexual assault. I thought I was going to die when it all came out. We can bury something so deep we deny it ever happened.

Precious sister, precious daughter of the Father. I don't know your circumstances but I understand the feelings.
Unless there is a medical issue, if we feel like you and I did then there is an issue that is causing it.

I contemplated suicide, not by pills or something along those lines. My thoughts were driving my car at a high speed on the way into work, over a particular bridge, just one quick turn of the wheel then that's it, a couple of times me hands started to jerk the steering wheel (just so you know I tried this when I knew the roads would be empty) I couldn't do it. For 15 years I woke up every night at the same time and asked God to take my life. Then at least I knew where I was going.

I was in this state as a married man with 4 children, yep that is true. I always knew and beleived that God would take care of my family, heal the pain of my death and provide for them. That's actually quiet selfish but I didn't see it at the time. To me in my mind it was better to take the chance of God killing me so I would know where I was going for eternity. Why not as I was living hell on earth.

I'm not is that place now, my whole experience of this was for 24 years.

daninthelionsden has a valid point. We need to get to the root cause, past experiences can be deep rooted and they can be part of our conscious and subconscious. This can affect our thoughts, I would say mainly about how we feel God thinks about us as his children. Depression and its traumatic results cause us to seek a release which can further add to the problem. Mine was gambling and sleeping around, even as a believer. That brings guilt and condemnation. A never ending circle.

We do need the Holy Spirit in us to reveal what's going on, but we need to have the strength and trust that he will do so.

I'm not in that place now. Yes I still struggle at times.

I don't know your circumstances and I can't suggest what you should do. I'm not a professional physiologist but one thing I do know is that the Holy Spirit does a very good job. He brings healing from the Father, reveals lies and replaces it with truth.

Don't give up, there is hope in his name.

Jesus we lift our precious sister up to you. She is your precious daughter who you love very much. She may not see it but that is the truth. You love her so much that you sent Jesus to die for her. To forgive her, to bring her back to you. The cross was not the end but the beginning. A new life that is with you and your promises, to work good in all things in her life, to bring healing, show her your love, to never leave her or forsake her.

I also want to pray for her sleep. Lack of sleep just adds to the problems. When tired we can't cope but actually when we sleep you are working

Psalms 121:2-4
My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot slip—
he who watches over you will not slumber;
indeed, he who watches over Israel
will neither slumber nor sleep.

So we pray that when she wakes up with fear in her heart she will hold on to the truth and she speaks the truth THAT SHE IS YOUR DAUGHTER AND YOU ARE FOR HER AND LOVE HER. May she rebuke satan who comes to destroy.

In Jesus name Amen

Hi

Life can be so unbearable at times and when things go wrong, everything just seems to pile up.
But I have learnt that bad things happen all the time which we cannot control but how we react to it is within our control. No matter which obstacles we face we will get through it.
We have God on our side, we just need to stay close to him. He has the ability to turn any situation around, you came to the right place, just keep praying.
Maybe you should go see a pysycologist, psychiatrist or priest for advice on what to do. Live in hope and faith, you never what tomorrow can bring.

Dear sister in Christ, as you read scripture you'll find near all God's prophets suffered through various trials in their lives that God allowed for their good.
Elijah in 1 Ki 19:14 . . I, even I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away.
Job 3:3 Let the day perish wherein I was born, and the night in which it was said, There is a man child conceived.

God does have something for you, you are loved, and He will not fail you regardless the fire you find you in. Reach out to him when you are at the end of your rope, seek His leading, and trust the ever abundant mercy, and grace to help in all your times of need. (Heb 4:16). God will never fail or forsake you, and we here love you too. I continue to see those here that reach out wanting nothing but the best for you.

Dear Father, please touch our sister in Christ to receive all You have for her, and comfort her in the way as You lead her into blessings only You can provide in Jesus. Thank You Father and I give You all praise for it in our precious Savior's name of Jesus. Amen.

There's not a day that goes by that I wish I was no longer alive. I'm depressed all the time, I can't sleep properly, and I'm just all kinds of mentally messed up. My doctors don't seem to get it. I'm sad, alone, frustrated, and at the end of my rope. I really don't know anymore. Please pray for me.
Hi Angel, I have suffered all my life, of course I had a terrible childhood. I will tell you about it, not to be felt sorry for, but to show you what maybe others have been through. I was born to a blind mother, my dad died when I was 9 months old. I was put in an orphanage for a while, then my uncle took me for about 5 years. Then my aunt and uncle got a divorce and I went to live with my Grandmother. Lived there for about 9 months. Meantime my blind mother remarried. I went to live there then with my mother and her husband. they were very very poor.. 8 of us,(I had brothers and sisters) lived in a two room apartment. my bed was two chairs put together. The food they ate was slop. I would gag on it. and if I did not eat it, they would rub my face in it and make me eat it any way. The would put a bowl on my head and cut my hair and send me to school and laugh about it. They would lock me in the closet and scare me till I would beg them to let me out. One summer they wrote kick me on my back with an ink pen and sent me to the store. Even the black community felt sorry for me. It just so happened that my Grandmother came to visit that day and seen the writing on my back and took me out of there. I went back to live with my uncle, he remarried. I was so miserable there I was going to drink some poison (ammonia) but the smell of it almost knocked me out. I ran away, but was taken back.. This went on most of my life. I had older brothers and sisters, but they were not concerned about me. They did not want to be bothered. I was homeless and slept out side for almost a year. Some of this might even be humorous...........unless it happens to you. But through all of this and (much more), I manage to graduate from High School, trade school, some college, a career in Environmental Science. Get married, raise two children in the Lord. But I still suffered from depression of which I take medicine for.........But this I know, no matter how depression makes me sad or anxious and worthless, Jesus is sure and true to His promise to me and you.
I love you in the Lord angel, but Christ loves you even more.

In Christ
Douglas Summers

There's not a day that goes by that I wish I was no longer alive. I'm depressed all the time, I can't sleep properly, and I'm just all kinds of mentally messed up. My doctors don't seem to get it. I'm sad, alone, frustrated, and at the end of my rope. I really don't know anymore. Please pray for me.

I am praying for you, and will continue to pray.

I have been through severe depression myself.

Please know there is an answer, and hope for you.

One thing I learned was that this depression can and will leave you.

The bible calls this condition... the spirit of heaviness.

You can make this "heaviness" leave you, in which you will experience great victory and joy.

“The Spirit of the Lord God is upon Me,
Because the Lord has anointed Me
To preach good tidings to the poor;
He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted,
To proclaim liberty to the captives,
And the opening of the prison to those who are bound;
2 To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord,
And the day of vengeance of our God;
To comfort all who mourn,
3 To console those who mourn in Zion,
To give them beauty for ashes,
The oil of joy for mourning,
The garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness;
That they may be called trees of righteousness,
The planting of the Lord, that He may be glorified.”
Isaiah 61:1-3

If you will open your mouth and begin to praise the Lord Jesus Christ, this heaviness will begin to leave you.

The more you do this, the more this heaviness will lift.

The stronger and bolder you do this, the more this heaviness will lift from you and be replaced with joy.

I've gone through this myself and have seen this work first hand in my life and the lives of others.

• God inhabits the praises of His people.
But thou art holy, O thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel. Psalm 22:3

• When God arises, His enemies will be scattered.
Let God arise, Let His enemies be scattered;
Let those also who hate Him flee before Him.
Psalm 68:1

I know you don't feel like doing this at all.

Please fight through this and begin to just say... I praise you Lord Jesus.

As you do this over and over, ask the Lord to fill you with His Spirit.

You will experience a breakthrough as you do this for a while, as the atmosphere will change around you.

Be Blessed, and know that God is for you, and people are praying for you.

JLB

Thnk you, everyone. I'm having an MRI soon and blood tests tomorrow. Doctor hasn't changed my meds yet and I continue to feel awful. But I will keep the faith.
Hi Angel, When I posted you about my life perils, I did not mean to give the impression that what was accomplished was by my will and power to overcome, it was The Lord. I did not realize it at the time, but as I looked back, I do not know how I would have ever survived with out the Lord's intervention. Even when I gave up on asking for the Lord's help, He was right there with me. As I have heard another pastor say, "The Lord does not always come when I call Him.........But He is always on time. And He is Ready, "when it is time", to take my Soul and keep it.

In Christ
Douglas Summers
103 Psalms of David

Sometimes, I wonder why everybody and their mama is "depressed" these days (this includes me, sadly enough). Diet, the economy, disintegrating family+social bonds, the rise in drug use, the aging of the population, the environment, all the warfare that never seems to stop (ever), and...

...well, I think sometimes "depression," like "Bipolar" or even "Schizophrenia" may just be the only way a lot of us can keep going. Its like another language...a language of frustration, fear, uncertainty, powerless-ness, loneliness...that many people "speak" in today's world because, well, postmodern life isn't all that great for increasing numbers of us.

There is a physical basis to madness and sadness, no doubt. I'll probably be on my anti-crazy pills for a long time, maybe even the rest of my life. Still, I wonder if people were always (on the whole) this sad, unstable, etc. Of course, people live longer these days, diets aren't that great, the food we eat doesn't have the same nutrition, stress is a big deal, and...

...also, I think (in the US, at least) we're all expected to wear a smile and be productive and well-adjusted and achieve things, etc. etc. etc. I wonder if maybe in generations past, people had more realistic outlooks on life and society didn't push people to "smile and have a nice day," etc.

Praying for you...

Sometimes, I wonder why everybody and their mama is "depressed" these days (this includes me, sadly enough).
Two things: Depression has just recently been recognized as a treatable and real aliment in about the last 30 years. And the other thing is, in spite of what the enemy would like you not to believe,that our country, up and around the Vietnam War era, was on a biblical and moral foundation. Since then, our country's moral code has been eroding to the point that our government is representing Satan (really!), not it's citizens, and even worse, citizens who claim they are Christians are voting in certified corrupt and evil candidates, knowing what they are.

As men reject God and play church, especially those who claim they represent Christ are under the anathema of God, and men reap what they sow. There is a greater conflict in our soles of a moral person under an immoral and self-serving atmosphere. We do not fit in and it is a constant battle. Living against oppression of the righteous sole takes it's tole upon the flesh, causing depression and sorrow.

Last edited:
You make some good points. I just...well, I read that 1 in 10 American women (and a growing number of men, too) take at least 1 psychiatric drug daily. That's staggering, and I don't get it. I mean, I take my lil cocktail, yes, but...I used to hear voices, I had paranoia, I've been subjected to electroshock, etc. etc. etc. I'm on the severe end of things. For people like me, psychiatric drugs=relative normalcy. I'm not trying to minimize other peoples' pain at all, but...wow. And the people who aren't on the pills are going to a counselor or therapist or group therapy or doing self-help, and...wow.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back