Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[__ Prayer __] prayer for stovebolts

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
When David stops his mourning, cleans up and eats... that's what your words remind me of. A feeling that came over me the night I found out about her death. She got into drugs when she was 12 or 13 and I've spoken to her about it many times. Her adoped mother refused to acknowledge it. A year and a half ago I told Mariah I didn't want to go to her funeral because of her drug use..., her adopted mother replied, "It will be Adrian's funeral" (her sister). She is so mean hearted. Now it's just about taking each day moment by moment as our family heals from this tragedy. With the loss, is a hate and the hatred takes me for a tail spin. I'm not emotionally stable today... I just want some solid footing. A stable direction. Writing to you all on this forum his helping me and I don't feel as bad as I did earlier this morning.
StoveBolts, your comments concerning sin is interesting. As you said we are forgiven but consequences set in motion may endure. Even with David’s child it is written that David would one day be with him; we don’t know the illness which took him.

You also mention the hate you feel, and God will heal you of that too if allowed. We read in 1 Tim 2:4, Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth, and that indeed includes your cousins. Now that brought up thoughts of Paul talking in 2Ti 4:14, Alexander the coppersmith did me much evil: the Lord reward him according to his works: to me these were works against the spreading of the word of God unless I’m mistaken.

This is a hard thing: Mat 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

In this you will find the peace that passes understanding in spite of the reasons behind your cousin’s ungodly actions and purpose for it. Don’t allow our enemy to drag you into the battle he wants you to wage. In Christ, Satan can never make you be seen as other than a child of God, but he can sure put a hitch in our get-a-long as to our spiritual walk. Look up brother, your redemption from these temptations draws nigh, and your reward remain intact. I’ll continue praying and look forward to your victory in Jesus’ name.
:wave2

Stovebolts,

you've seen more troubles than any one ever should have to bear. My prayers are with you, hoping that with God's help you can work your way though this tragedy to a better, more loving place. God has promised to be our refuge, sometimes it's a terrible, twisted, path to that refuge.

My heart aches for you, brother.

I know you don't even really know meStove, nor do I really know you. Humans tend to think we have to say something to folks when the whole world crashes down on them but usually it's best to just shut up up and sigh with them, friends and strangers alike. I do want to say this--from 5 years of age, when my adoptive dad married my mom, my world was shattered by being forced to learn to live with a father who was a hard-core drug addict and alcoholic. To this day I don't understand drug addiction. I learned to hate my dad at about the age of ten. I rebelled against Christ in about the tenth grade, turned to Islam and marijuana a year after. When I finally came to my senses I was in too deep. I dropped the weed the morning after my 19th birthday, still "open" to any and all religions, but this Bible here, it's different. (?)

Going cold turkey on the weed having been using it pretty much daily meant that I was to lose my mind, quite literally. It's true, marijuana--is mentally addictive. I had become addicted to it. And yet, now 38 years old, clean for 19 years, and counting, I still struggle with "behavioral" issues. I say all that to say this. My problem didn't begin with my dad. I could have taken the beatings. They really weren't comparable to stories I've heard from folks who grew up with "just" alcoholic fathers, some of whom had to experience their own moms be beaten. My problem didn't when I learned to roll a joint or when I lost my mind the first time, or second. It started when I learned to hate my dad. I was one of the ones who somehow, by God's amazing grace and a great, Teacher, learned to love my dad, and even get to know him a little, for a whole year or two--before--we learned of the cancer that took his life in about 2 weeks. My dad was very loving. He was born addicted to drugs. Every time he spanked me he told me of his love. All those years I was blinded, by tears?, yeah, by weed?, yeah, false religion, greed, insecurity, pride, yeah, yeah, yeah. I was blinded primarily--by hate. Being born blue isn't an excuse for a drug addict any more than my pain was an excuse for my hate. Please, nip this in the bud before it festers. It took me 10 years to start to heal, and 10 more be at peace with my dad. It doesn't have to take you 20 years Stove. Pray for your cousins. Please.

Barth Jones

I know what you mean by the hatred. I remember when I lost my first child back in 88?.. She was just under 4 months old. I was raised in foster homes etc until I finally got placed with my Dad in the spring of 3rd grade. Later, I ran away and became a street rat, then found my self in Juvenile, then the institution. I had attachment issues. Why attach when you know the people you love will just get ripped away... Back to my first child. It was the first time I felt safe with another human being. It was the first time I let myself love another human being fully. I hated God when she was taken. I hated everyone.

My X wife and I had three other children after our first and through a long series of events, they were all placed in foster care. It was found through the mandatory blood tests that my oldest wasn't my biological child, and my rights were terminated on the spot. I was dealing with the false accusations etc pretty well, but when my girls were ripped from me, that was my breaking point. I did what I had to do to get my youngest (Mariah) placed with my cousin so she wouldn't grow up in the foster care system. It took 9 months... Maybe the state knew something I didn't at the time, because we fought hard to get her placed. This wouldn't be the first battle my cousin had with the state. After placement, the hatred grew and the nightmares began. It was taking a physical toll on my body. I was a walking time bomb.

It took a decade to wish my X wife well. I actually saw her last week. It had been 20 years since I've last seen her. She's battle worn and the Meth and alcohol has taken it's toll in her life. She was once a knockout, now she has meth mouth with very few teeth left and the stress of her lifestyle has taken it's physical toll. Her mind isn't right either. She's been forever altered and honestly, she was unrecognizable. That was hard to see, but she's in a good place now and she's getting the help she needs.

I remember the hate, the rage and the toll it took on me. The night I found out about my daughter that old friend of mine tried to creep back into my life. I felt it, and I won't lie about it. But I vowed not to let it consume me. I also learned a long time ago by the example of Jesus that anger isn't a bad thing, but what we do with it matters. Jesus got angry at the religious elite, and in response he healed a man with a shriveled hand. Jesus used his anger to do something good for another person and his concern wasn't about ticking off the religious elite. He did what was right and when we do what's right, we will be persecuted. It's not that I haven't thought bad things, but I won't act on them. Instead, I challenged myself to be creative and in my anger, seek to do something good. I've been teaching my son that for years, and when it really mattered, he saw it in action.

I'm not afraid to tick off people when they are doing harm to others and I'm finding that we don't need to be a door mat for those who abuse us because abuse comes in many different forms and honestly, we need to be angry at some things because some things are worth being angry about. Some things are worth hating. But it's what we do with that anger and hate that matters because what we do forms how that anger or hatred develops in our life.

I hate what my cousin did to us. It was cruel and selfish. I have no pity for her or for her husband. What they did to my son and daughter was pure evil. She had a chance to do something good, but she choose not to allow it. That's evil and I hate what is evil. It didn't have to be that way. What do I do with that anger and hatred? How do I teach my children to deal with their anger and hatred? We use it to do good and as an example of what we will not become. What is my cousins problem? She's full of anger and hatred and it's self consuming. It's all about her hurt, her loss and the dysfunction of her life is being exposed for who she's become... Who she's allowed herself to be. I've vowed not to contribute to the unjust suffering and cruelty that's in this world and I've challenged myself and my children to take that anger and hatred, and make the world a better place with it, even when it ticks people off.

Barth Jones

I'm still working through this... Working out my salvation with fear and trembling... So please bear with my ramblings.

I found a long time ago that when we pray, we offer ourselves up to the Lord's service. Have you ever noticed that God uses people to answer those prayers? In other words, I'd rather do something that helps to heal your hand, than to simply say, "Be well, and I'll pray about that". No, I'd rather give somebody something to eat when they are hungry than to pray that they be fed. In that way, we are instruments for God doing God's work.

I don't know what your "shrivled hand" is. Perhaps it's drug addiction? In addition to praying for you, I'd offer myself as support for you.

You've been a blessing to me Barth. Thank you.

Barth Jones

I'm still working through this... Working out my salvation with fear and trembling... So please bear with my ramblings.

I found a long time ago that when we pray, we offer ourselves up to the Lord's service. Have you ever noticed that God uses people to answer those prayers? In other words, I'd rather do something that helps to heal your hand, than to simply say, "Be well, and I'll pray about that". No, I'd rather give somebody something to eat when they are hungry than to pray that they be fed. In that way, we are instruments for God doing God's work.

I don't know what your "shrivled hand" is. Perhaps it's drug addiction? In addition to praying for you, I'd offer myself as support for you.

You've been a blessing to me Barth. Thank you.

Hello again, friend. My shrivled hand is this Christian life we face. This brutal Gethsemane.

This has rendered me speechless. I know evil exists - but it still leaves me speechless when I encounter it.
I am profoundly without words.

Sorry, brother.

Back