Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Predestination

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I am with Ed, I have never really approached the idea of predestination before this topic. My comments are based on what I understand right now, but I am still working on it.

Being predestined to be conformed to the image of God's Son is a result of salvation. God calls and justifies these people, whom He knew in advance would accept Christ.

But God's offer of salvation to all men is genuine, and "the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men." Those who reject God's call do not do so because His call was hypocritical, designed to be impossible to accept. The Bible tells us that Jesus enlightens all men and draws all men to Himself. The Father teaches all men, drawing them to Christ.

Predestination, however, refers only to the two things that God does for those who accept Christ. He predestines them to be conformed to the image of His Son, and to be adopted as sons. There are no other types of predestination taught in Scripture.

Being predestined to be conformed to the image of God's Son is a result of salvation. God calls and justifies these people, whom He knew in advance would accept Christ.

But God's offer of salvation to all men is genuine, and "the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men." Those who reject God's call do not do so because His call was hypocritical, designed to be impossible to accept. The Bible tells us that Jesus enlightens all men and draws all men to Himself. The Father teaches all men, drawing them to Christ.

Predestination, however, refers only to the two things that God does for those who accept Christ. He predestines them to be conformed to the image of His Son, and to be adopted as sons. There are no other types of predestination taught in Scripture.

Predestination is the first step to salvation.

Predestination --> Calling --> Justification --> Glorification

Romans 8:29-30

A New Dawn and Ed put it well. I don't pretend to know heaps about the bible, I am only young. However from what I have learned I am leaning towards predestination. However I do not think that it is necessarily a salvational issue. If I am called, then I am called.

A New Dawn and Ed put it well. I don't pretend to know heaps about the bible, I am only young. However from what I have learned I am leaning towards predestination. However I do not think that it is necessarily a salvational issue. If I am called, then I am called.

I agree with your assessment, Nick. It is not a salvational issue. It might alter the way we present the gospel, but it doesn't change our status with God.

“Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths beyond tracing out!â€

-Romans 11:33

Romans 8:38-39

<sup class="versenum" id="en-KJV-28155">38</sup>For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
<sup class="versenum" id="en-KJV-28156">39</sup>Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Romans 8:38-39

<sup class="versenum" id="en-KJV-28155">38</sup>For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
<sup class="versenum" id="en-KJV-28156">39</sup>Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Romans 8:29-30

<table id="table_bible" class="table_bible" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr id="Rom_8_29_1054029"><td class="td_bible_verse_heading" valign="top" width="68" align="left">Rom 8:29</td> <td> </td> <td class="td_bible_text" valign="top">For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate [to be] conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. </td></tr></tbody></table><table id="table_bible" class="table_bible" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr id="Rom_8_30_1054030"><td class="td_bible_verse_heading" valign="top" width="68" align="left">Rom 8:30</td> <td> </td> <td class="td_bible_text" valign="top">Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified. </td></tr></tbody></table>

Well, predestination is a Biblical truth, so I guess that means that free will doesn't exist. ;)

If you want to believe that that's your prerogative, but with out free will life is meaningless, and destiny negates free will.

If you want to believe that that's your prerogative, but with out free will life is meaningless, and destiny negates free will.

You are totally wrong in this post... Without God life is meaningless. Go, read the Word. Feast on the manna that God so lovingly provides. Free will is not contradictory to predestination. You are thinking with a secular mind, leave that behind and use the Spirit God gave all His children who only but confess His Son.

Why does prdestination wipe out free-will?

The Muslim belif is that man has free will - and Allah predestines all mens paths.

Well if your life is predestined, you can't chose a different path. If you can choose a different path it isn't predestined. They can't fit together. There is either destiny or free will.

You are totally wrong in this post... Without God life is meaningless. Go, read the Word. Feast on the manna that God so lovingly provides. Free will is not contradictory to predestination. You are thinking with a secular mind, leave that behind and use the Spirit God gave all His children who only but confess His Son.

Can God create a Rock so heavy he can't lift it? Can God predestine your life and at the same time give you free will? Both are logically impossible questions and scenarios.

“Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths beyond tracing out!”

You go ahead and keep trying to apply your puny, inferior human intellect to God... I am going to go do things that are profitable.

“Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths beyond tracing out!â€

You go ahead and keep trying to apply your puny, inferior human intellect to God... I am going to go do things that are profitable.

I don't think its wise to claim personal knowledge of the mind of God. Very arrogant.

I am not. I am making an obvious statement. God's mind is far greater than our own. You are the arrogant one, trying to apply human ideas to a Being who is not even within the confines of time!

I am not. I am making an obvious statement. God's mind is far greater than our own. You are the arrogant one, trying to apply human ideas to a Being who is not even within the confines of time!

Sure we can apply human logic to God. God cannot be self contradictory. That is why ridiculous questions like can God make a rock so heavy he can't lift it have no merit. They are contradictory to themselves. Can God create a person with predetermined fate and free will at the same time? What? Can one chose a different fate than the one God predetermined? If you can than it isn't predetermined. If you can't you don't have free will.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back