Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Protecting Your Older Children's Virginity (L)

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

President

I thought this was an interesting clip to illustrate what I'd like to talk about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS5rbw0uGhg

I was reading a post on another forum once. A young woman in her early 20's lived with her parents and they had an 11 o'clock curfew for her. Some of the other people thought that was outlandish, controlling, etc.

I started thinking about it. In the Old Testament, at least, the father is responsible for his daughter until she marries. The unmarried daughter can eat the high priest's priestly food. The Israelite father can cancel his unmarried vows.

I can't find any scripture that condemns parents of adult children for being too 'controlling' by giving their kids a curfew.

We live in a wicked society, especially when it comes to sexuality. A comment on another thread pointed out that even young people raised in Christian homes are rarely virgins by the time they hit adulthood. This is truly sad.

I was a virgin when I got married in my late 20's. My wife is from a country where it is normal for people to be virgins when they marry, even in their late 20's or early 30's. Losing your virginity is stigmatized there. She was a virgin on our wedding night. I am thinking about what helped me get to that point. One thing was I didn't date much. I was serious about my faith, and if I dated a girl, I'd want her to have the same beliefs and to be serious about her faith. Also, she'd have to be extremely beautiful according to my own picky taste. And I was a little shy about the whole thing. The combination kept me from dating. I also took the teachings of scripture against fornication quite seriously as a teen.

I did not have a philosophy about dating worked out in my 20's, or I might have gone about what dating I actually did differently.

Since then, I have come to the conclusion that US dating culture is poison. Children who go out on dates aren't even spouse-hunting in most cases. Society tells them not to marry in their late teens. Why does society tell them to date? What is the point of dating if not to find a spouse? To find someone to fornicate with, or someone to make out with to just tempt yourself to fornicate? If you believe fornication is okay and that kids should experiment with sex, dating should make sense to you. But why do Christians let their kids indulge in such things.

My girls hear about teenage dating. I tell them that just isn't going to happen in our household. When they get old enough to get married, I'll help them make a decision. I plan to offer my son guidance and protection in this area.

It's not my job to see that they have girlfriends and boyfriends that they like. I'd my job to protect them while they are under my care. I think that may mean a curfew and screening potential suitors at age 25 if need be, especially for the girls.

I support your stance on this. Unfortunately, I was not a virgin when I married in my late 20's, however, my wife was. Thankfully, my past was not something that has caused any problems in our marriage.

As for our kids, we will be instituting a rule that they are not to date/court until they are ready for marriage, as we feel the only purpose for it is to find a suitable husband/wife. Currently none of our kids are old enough for us to have this discussion, but that day will probably come upon us sooner than we realize.

Keep to your convictions, brother.

I greatly appreciate the concerns.

What is also needed is a sense of guided nurturing in common, Godly fear so that daughters themselves are likely, as the Lord leads, to want to marry someone suitable. (After all, one can't control adult daughters' affections like a faucet, turning them on and off.)

Indian believers would maybe say: What you guys in the West need are arranged marriages. This may be the culture in some places, but I'm not sure that Scripture would have us go that far.

The bigger challenge as a father (for me at least) is to be the sort of man that my daughter would model her idea of a future husband after. Quite the tall order, but it is something that I am willing to take on.

The bigger challenge as a father (for me at least) is to be the sort of man that my daughter would model her idea of a future husband after. Quite the tall order, but it is something that I am willing to take on.

Yes, I'm sure this is true. Fathers can undoubtedly guide, challenge, unsparingly care and lovingly nurture, prayerfully and practically; although they cannot control the conscience of another adult; by God's grace this needs to be committed to the Lord.

My girls hear about teenage dating. I tell them that just isn't going to happen in our household. When they get old enough to get married, I'll help them make a decision. I plan to offer my son guidance and protection in this area.

It's not my job to see that they have girlfriends and boyfriends that they like. I'd my job to protect them while they are under my care. I think that may mean a curfew and screening potential suitors at age 25 if need be, especially for the girls.

So you are saying that your son will not be allowed to date either and meet the same standards as the girls?

I was a teen 50 years ago .... I hope you all know a 'date' is not the only place/time for this activity. Lunch time at school/cutting a class... a football game.... Yea sure over to spend the night with your best friend. A trip to grandma house... One can do what ever before 11 AM or PM ..... I married at 17, was confused between love and lust. The marriage has been only ok at best.

Please make time for family, doing worship, work and play together....

I was a teen 50 years ago .... I hope you all know a 'date' is not the only place/time for this activity. Lunch time at school/cutting a class... a football game.... Yea sure over to spend the night with your best friend. A trip to grandma house... One can do what ever before 11 AM or PM ..... I married at 17, was confused between love and lust. The marriage has been only ok at best.

Please make time for family, doing worship, work and play together....

I'm not making light of your post and I agree with your points. But it reminded me of a funny family story. One of the family had a cat that got pregnant. She said she just didn't understand how that could happen seeing that she never let the cat out at night!!

I'm not making light of your post and I agree with your points. But it reminded me of a funny family story. One of the family had a cat that got pregnant. She said she just didn't understand how that could happen seeing that she never let the cat out at night!!

In the end one can't absolutely control young people's jeans to keep zippered up, but what one can do is encourage, guide, warn pray and nurture in a Godly direction. If they don't as adults, whether for a while or a longer period, follow the faith of their parents, then they can't be permanently prevented from going their own way, but one can nevertheless keep praying.

[MENTION=41474]farouk[/MENTION] amen
[MENTION=93058]Deborah13[/MENTION] Yup :)

reba: A Godly, praying parent can't be held ultimately responsible for the zipper-challenged rebellious activity of an adult offspring that is away from home; in fact, it can be a real test of Godly character to keep committing such ones to the Lord in continuing prayer while keeping the door open to them.

YUP farouk.... Mom and Dad did their best..... Spent hours and hours praying for me/us. I hate to think what my life most likely would have been with out Godly parents. I have been so very blessed :) mom still prays for me :thumbsup

Why? Isn't purity a requirement for men, too?

Especially implies I'll protect my son, too.

I tend to see girls as more likely to be prey in these situations, but I realize girls can be aggressive nowadays. I'm trying to teach my son to have a backbone and to have good ethics, and encourage his faith in Christ. But I'm not too worried about a girl date-raping him, like I could be if I let my girls go off on dates. There are certain things that are typically less of a danger for boys. They do all need protecting and they need guidance. I'm not planning on my son going on any dates until he gets to be of marriageable age, either.

YUP farouk.... Mom and Dad did their best..... Spent hours and hours praying for me/us. I hate to think what my life most likely would have been with out Godly parents. I have been so very blessed :) mom still prays for me :thumbsup

reba:

Well, you're doubly blessed she's still with you. I do believe also that the present generation of younger people can still — maybe unwittingly — profit from the effect of the prayers of Godly parents and grandparents whom the Lord may already have called to glory.

Blessings.

So you are saying that your son will not be allowed to date either and meet the same standards as the girls?

More or less, but I consider it the man's role to go find a wife rather than vice versa. If a man wants to marry one of my daughters, I expect him to deal with me. If my son wants to marry someone else's daughter, he'll have to talk with that girl's father to ask her hand, and her father may have some different expectations than I would.

More or less, but I consider it the man's role to go find a wife rather than vice versa. If a man wants to marry one of my daughters, I expect him to deal with me. If my son wants to marry someone else's daughter, he'll have to talk with that girl's father to ask her hand, and her father may have some different expectations than I would.

Opps Sorry...I had missed your post to Claudya.

Back