Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Punishing women for fighting unfair

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Deuteronomy 25: 11-12

11When men strive together one with another, and the wife of the one draweth near for to deliver her husband out of the hand of him that smiteth him, and putteth forth her hand, and taketh him by the secrets:

12Then thou shalt cut off her hand, thine eye shall not pity her.

Is this saying what I think it's saying? If a woman comes to the aid of her husband by grabbing another man's genitals she is to have her hand cut off without pity?

Do you really think God said this or some conservative old men?

God gave all of the law of moses. It is Gods law because it is just and holy and good.

God says it is just.

You may say not

But we are not God and we do not decide what is good or just and what is not. A woman has no buisness putting her hands on another mans buisness, that is pretty simple stuff and pretty self explanitory. Ya know the police where you live would likewise punish a woman for doing the same, maybe just with the same punishment that God gave.

GodspromisesRyes said:
God gave all of the law of moses. It is Gods law because it is just and holy and good.

God says it is just.

You may say not

But we are not God and we do not decide what is good or just and what is not. A woman has no buisness putting her hands on another mans buisness, that is pretty simple stuff and pretty self explanitory. Ya know the police where you live would likewise punish a woman for doing the same, maybe just with the same punishment that God gave.

I just don't get it. How can people think this way. Does that punishment seem ok to you? Would you impose that penalty on your wife? Isn't simply possible that God had nothing to do with that verse?

anthony123 said:
GodspromisesRyes said:

God says it is just.

You may say not

I just don't get it. How can people think this way. Does that punishment seem ok to you? Would you impose that penalty on your wife? Isn't simply possible that God had nothing to do with that verse?
No it is not possible. Is it not possible that you are not the knower, judger, and understander of everything? That something can be right even when you do not understand and something can be wrong even when you do not understand? Is it possible that the creator of people, knows better what is right and wrong for people then you who at the most has been alive 100 years and prob not yet a 4th of that, you who has never created anything, never has even seen most of the world, has never met most of the people, doesnt know the depths of a human heart or the true full meaning of justice, and cannot even percieve everything directly in the room with you?

And I am a wife so I could not punish my wife in any way. However all the law of God is good and just and holy.

anthony123 said:

11When men strive together one with another, and the wife of the one draweth near for to deliver her husband out of the hand of him that smiteth him, and putteth forth her hand, and taketh him by the secrets:

Is this saying what I think it's saying? If a woman comes to the aid of her husband by grabbing another man's genitals she is to have her hand cut off without pity?

The Bible is the inspired word of God. You weren't there and you don't have all the details aurrounding the events. My trust is in a God who is fair and just and mighty to save!! That's good enough for me.

anthony, with all due respect, I think you are asking the wrong questions if your intent is to believe or not to believe. You will not find God by picking apart passges of scripture. You find God by looking to Christ. Focusing on the man and what he did. How do these events shape your world and life? Start there and see where it leads you. The rest my friend are just the details. Some of the details will not seem clear to you and that is alright. Just because one of the details does not make sense to you does not mean there is no God or Christ did not die for our sins.

Aero_Hudson said:
anthony, with all due respect, I think you are asking the wrong questions if your intent is to believe or not to believe. You will not find God by picking apart passges of scripture. You find God by looking to Christ. Focusing on the man and what he did. How do these events shape your world and life? Start there and see where it leads you. The rest my friend are just the details. Some of the details will not seem clear to you and that is alright. Just because one of the details does not make sense to you does not mean there is no God or Christ did not die for our sins.

His point is not to believe, he is trying to show the Bible as corrupt and not the word of God. its probably the 3rd or 4th thread he made along the lines of how can the Bible be true if it says this. His motives are way off

the lord put moral/legal laws for the country of isreal in the torah as he intended to rule over them directly through the aaronic priesthood. He is just and knows why he did that verse.

jason

anthony123 said:

A woman has no right to grab a man there, period! It can be very emasculating just to have a woman come to "rescue" a man in the first place.

Now, that being said, if she is defending herself...she has every right to do whatever is proper to survive.

walter said:
anthony123 said:
A woman has no right to grab a man there, period! It can be very emasculating just to have a woman come to "rescue" a man in the first place.

You've just landed smack dab into the general critical view. Most scholars believe that this verse was written by men in order to lay down a law that preserves their honor. I doubt God is concerned about the honor of men so much as to have a woman's hand cut off.

anthony123 said:
walter said:
anthony123 said:

You've just landed smack dab into the general critical view. Most scholars believe that this verse was written by men in order to lay down a law that preserves their honor. I doubt God is concerned about the honor of men so much as to have a woman's hand cut off.

I do not agree that anyone's hand should be cut off for such an offence.
I do agree however that theives should have their hands cut off.

Back