Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Purpose of Life?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Tabuck

Does the bible talk about or mention “why we are here?” “what's the point of life” also, you hear a lot “God loves you “ All perfect being that forgives our sins, ETC.

But you hear very little on, “why and what does that mean”. How does the fact that God loves me help me in my every day life? Seems like I still have to figure this out on my own regardless if God loves me or not. And what am I doing herein the first place?

Seems to me these are more important questions and ideas, then if God exists and forgives me for my sin or not. I would not have sin if I was not here in the first place? Great if God loves me but not sure what I supposed to do with that? Seems if he loves me or not my life is the same. I still have to figure out how to survive this world and take care of my family, either way? and If god loved me why am i not in heaven what is this whole earth thing about?

And that's a sincere question, not really looking for a debate or to argue

Hey Tabuck

Simple answer. You are here because God created Adam and Eve and told them to multiply and about 6,000 years from that time two people who had been born had sexual relations and you came to be.

God bless,
Ted

Does the bible talk about or mention “why we are here?” “what's the point of life” also, you hear a lot “God loves you “ All perfect being that forgives our sins, ETC.

But you hear very little on, “why and what does that mean”. How does the fact that God loves me help me in my every day life? Seems like I still have to figure this out on my own regardless if God loves me or not. And what am I doing herein the first place?

Seems to me these are more important questions and ideas, then if God exists and forgives me for my sin or not. I would not have sin if I was not here in the first place? Great if God loves me but not sure what I supposed to do with that? Seems if he loves me or not my life is the same. I still have to figure out how to survive this world and take care of my family, either way? and If god loved me why am i not in heaven what is this whole earth thing about?

Hey Tabuck, welcome to the sight.
As a Christian for over fifteen years, I feel that my reason for living is to bring glory to God and to His Son Jesus.
I use a site called biblegateway.com, and when I typed in "I live" on their Key Word search bar, a bunch of scriptures came up; but the ones from Psalms were really on point.
Psalms 118:17..."I shall not die, but live, and declare the works of the Lord."
Go check it out !

If you read the first couple chapters in Genesis, the creation story, you'll see that God got creative. Each step along the way, God noted that it was good and so He went on to the next step. Finally, in Genesis 1:26, we can read about the creation of mankind and when He finished that step He declared it to be "very good" (Genesis 1:31). Then in Genesis 17:7, Exodus 6:7, Ezekiel 34:24, and again in Jeremiah 7:23 God said something like, "I will be your God, and you will be my people."

God created us to have a relationship with us.

How does God love us? More than you can possibly imagine. So much so, that despite our rebelliousness or sinfulness, He gave His only Son (John 3:16) to redeem us or pay the penalty for our sin, so that through Him we might have eternal life with God in heaven.

Hey All,
You also answered your question Tabuck.

"Does the bible talk about or mention “why we are here?” “what's the point of life” also, you hear a lot “God loves you “ All perfect being that forgives our sins, ETC." Quote from Tabuck

We are here for God to love.

But it not love out of obligation. We love God by choice. And that is a different type of love. That is as close to agape that we, as humans, can get.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

Rev 4:11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

Everything God created was for His good pleasure and for our pleasure as enjoying all the beauty of His creation and taking care to keep everything beautiful here on earth that He has created.

Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
Gen 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
Gen 1:28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
Gen 1:29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.
Gen 1:30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.
Gen 1:31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

Rev 4:11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

Everything God created was for His good pleasure and for our pleasure as enjoying all the beauty of His creation and taking care to keep everything beautiful here on earth that He has created.

Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
Gen 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
Gen 1:28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
Gen 1:29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.
Gen 1:30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.
Gen 1:31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.
i have a off topic question.
Do you believe that the earth is over 7,000 years old?
Do you believe that God used evolution to create all life on earth?
Do you believe that the big bang was what God used to create the universe?

I dont, i trust Genesis.

There is a debate in the Christianity and science section. " Flood proven evolution refuted" thread. Me & follower & alfred vs barbain and uncle j.

was wondering if you can defend the Faith too & help in the battle against compromising with athiesm.

Thanks for all the responses. I just have a follow up question. Does GOD have direct influence on our lifes? As and example, help get the job we wanted or open a door or close one in our life's path? or is it more he gives us the tools and will power and we are on our own to figure it all out, sort of thing? And is there any writings of this?

i have a off topic question.
Do you believe that the earth is over 7,000 years old?
Do you believe that God used evolution to create all life on earth?
Do you believe that the big bang was what God used to create the universe?

I dont, i trust Genesis.

There is a debate in the Christianity and science section. " Flood proven evolution refuted" thread. Me & follower & alfred vs barbain and uncle j.

was wondering if you can defend the Faith too & help in the battle against compromising with athiesm.
This needs to be another thread as the Q&A forum is set up to only reply to the member who created this thread. If you want to start a new thread in one of the other forums please tag me into it.

Reactions: WIP
Thanks for all the responses. I just have a follow up question. Does GOD have direct influence on our lifes? As and example, help get the job we wanted or open a door or close one in our life's path? or is it more he gives us the tools and will power and we are on our own to figure it all out, sort of thing? And is there any writings of this?
I think He can, and does, both.

Basic answer is, read the bible.
Slightly more detailed answer,
Yes God is in control and as Roman 8:28 says All things work together for the good of those who are called according to his purpose.
Does God us the job we want? No he gets us the job he wants us to have.

Yes and no. I get the impression that you have been hearing the prosperity gospel preached and things aren't quite going to your plan, meaning, that believers will get what they want in this life such as wealth, power, and happiness. The truth is God's purpose for our lives is for us to be more and more like Jesus and to shape us into what He has planned for us. Not the other way around. Jesus even said, "These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33 NKJV)

God also said, "And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son" (Romans 8:28-29 NKJV)

What is the purpose of having children? What is the purpose of sending our children to school, before they leave the house and off to work?

God gives us earthly things to help us understand eternal things.

Romans 8:29 For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.

Romans 9:8 In other words, it is not the natural children who are God's children, but it is the children of the promise who are regarded as Abraham's offspring.

Children who walk like his Son.

Does the bible talk about or mention “why we are here?” “what's the point of life”

Yes. You exist to know God, and in knowing Him, to love Him, and in loving Him, to enjoy Him, and in enjoying Him, to glorify Him. This is why you're here. It turns out that, in God's universe, everything in it is ultimately all about Him. The problem for us in this is that we desperately want everything to be about us (even though it's not our universe). We're weird this way...

But you hear very little on, “why and what does that mean”.

Why does God love you? Because it's in His nature to love. You don't deserve to be loved, being a rebellious, sinful creature, but God loves you anyway because of who He is. Pretty awesome, eh?

What does it mean that God loves you? The answer depends on whether or not your His child. If your child it means fellowship with the Greatest Being in the entire universe. If you're not His child it means you've got 'til your dead to take God up on His offer of fellowship. After that, well, it's a very different, very horrendous, story.

How does the fact that God loves me help me in my every day life?

It won't help you at all until you're one of His adopted, spiritually born-again children. If, though, you're one of His, the fact God loves you means that He gives to you Himself and all the wisdom, goodness, love, mercy, grace and power that He is. In God you also find eternal meaning, fulfillment and purpose in life. He makes life makes sense. Without Him, life is just, well, an accident of Nature, without any purpose beyond DNA propagation, "red in tooth and claw" and horribly short.

Seems like I still have to figure this out on my own regardless if God loves me or not. And what am I doing herein the first place?

No, God's got a plan for every person He brings into existence. But that plan is discovered in living in the way He has prescribed for all of His children. It's in the midst of obeying God's First and Great Commandment (and the second one), in living in constant submission to the control of the Holy Spirit, in feeding daily on God's word, the Bible and living accord with it, in serving His children in love and Truth, and so on, that God's will just for you crystallizes in your life.

Seems to me these are more important questions and ideas, then if God exists and forgives me for my sin or not.

Well, not really. If God doesn't exist, do whatever you want. What's the point of life, ultimately, if you're just an accident of Nature? Without God, it doesn't matter if you live like a saint, or a devil, or something in between, the end is the same: the end of existence. If God is a fiction, you can only create an illusion of meaning for yourself because there is no real meaning, no objective, outside-yourself reason you exist. Without God, there is no Ultimate Truth, no objective ground for moral right and wrong, no intrinsic human worth. It's just survival of the fittest, get what you can while you can 'cause life is stinkin' short and you only get the one kick at the can!

If God does exist, though, and He is who He says He is in the Bible, your sin will have an eternal and terrifying consequence if you don't do something about, if you don't somehow erase it, before you stand before God to be judged by Him for it. Nothing is more important to your eternal existence than getting out from under the terrible penalty of your sin - certainly not whatever career, or relationship, or skill, or adventure you might have while you live briefly in this world. And your sin keeps you from knowing and enjoying God as He created you to do.

Seems if he loves me or not my life is the same. I still have to figure out how to survive this world and take care of my family, either way? and If god loved me why am i not in heaven what is this whole earth thing about?

A life with God is totally different from a life without Him. See above. God's love provides a sense-making, purpose-giving "lens" through which to see and understand reality, which is to say, understand God, who is the Source, the Ground of All Reality.

Why aren't you yet in heaven? Because God wants those who love Him there, not puppets, not creatures who could not choose Him, as you and I can do while we live on earth. Our time on this planet is ultimately preparation for the eternity to follow with God. We come into relationship with Him while we're here, learn to live in humble fellowship with Him, develop deeper and deeper love and joy in knowing and walking with God so that entering heaven is an unparalleled wonder and delight, not a horror, as it is for so many who die strangers to their Maker. While we are here, God teaches us about His eternal truth, about holiness, and about real agape love so that we "fit in" when we arrive in heaven, God's "home." Here, too, we have opportunity to earn rewards which we can enjoy in the afterlife. And so on. Can you see how God and knowing Him brings to life a sense-making foundation?

The penny catechism has the answer!

Why was I created?

To know love and serve God in this life and to be happy with Him in the next!

So I give thanks to the Heavenly Father for having created me!

And to the son for redeeming me in His precious blood!

And to the Holy Spirit for washing me in the waters of baptism, and all the 7 sacraments! (promises)

Amen!

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back