Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Questioning....

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Life has never been better than it is at the moment. I love my job, can't wait for school to start, my relationship with my family is better than it's ever been, and I've begun dating a wonderful man. The only problem is that he's very religious --not shove-it-in-your-face religious, but it is very important to him. I have considered myself to be an atheist/agnostic up until this point. I acknowledge that God could exist, but I think it's very unlikely. However, I still live my life as if God does exist, treat people kindly, do good things, be helpful where I can, and enjoy life fully. As weird as it sounds, I still even pray. And not "Lord, give me this" kind of pray, but normally I only prayed when something really good happened, out of thanks. Over the past few months (before I started dating him), I'd been considering going back to church. We had a big talk and he said that he does believe in Heaven and Hell, and (while he didn't say this verbatim) he fears for my going to Hell if I don't directly believe in God and repent. As good as it sounds to be a Christian, to have undying faith, to be part of the community, and what have you, I just can't bring myself to say, "Okay, now I believe in God," because it's not that easy to just change what you've been believing for the past several years. And I also don't want to be doing this, making this change, just for a relationship. I want to come to that point on my own. While I believe that's how I'm going about it, I know that he is still driving a lot of this change.

I certainly understand what you mean. I was an atheist until I was 28 and I had a lot of struggle trying to resolve all the knowledge about what I believed with what I was learning. The fact you're open the possibility of God existing is huge. The way I got there was to look at the central claim of the resurrection. If that was true and could be supported by evidence then everything else would fall into place. Making the actual commitment was hard but once I was convinced it was true, it was inevitable

Not sure if that helps at all

Life has never been better than it is at the moment. I love my job, can't wait for school to start, my relationship with my family is better than it's ever been, and I've begun dating a wonderful man. The only problem is that he's very religious --not shove-it-in-your-face religious, but it is very important to him. I have considered myself to be an atheist/agnostic up until this point. I acknowledge that God could exist, but I think it's very unlikely. However, I still live my life as if God does exist, treat people kindly, do good things, be helpful where I can, and enjoy life fully. As weird as it sounds, I still even pray. And not "Lord, give me this" kind of pray, but normally I only prayed when something really good happened, out of thanks. Over the past few months (before I started dating him), I'd been considering going back to church. We had a big talk and he said that he does believe in Heaven and Hell, and (while he didn't say this verbatim) he fears for my going to Hell if I don't directly believe in God and repent. As good as it sounds to be a Christian, to have undying faith, to be part of the community, and what have you, I just can't bring myself to say, "Okay, now I believe in God," because it's not that easy to just change what you've been believing for the past several years. And I also don't want to be doing this, making this change, just for a relationship. I want to come to that point on my own. While I believe that's how I'm going about it, I know that he is still driving a lot of this change.

I know you don't want to make this change just because of a relationship, but I look at it like this; God could have brought this man into your life specifically to bring you to Jesus, so really, by your bf talking to you about becoming a Christian, he's only doing what Jesus asked his followers to do. God wants you to believe in Him, and it sound like you want to believe in Him too, so you and God are starting to get on the same page. I believe God is working in your life to bring you to Him. I know you can't just decide you believe in God at the snap of a finger, but I think you're on your way just because you seem open minded to it, and because you have a boyfrind that is trying to show you the way.

If you don't mind me asking (and I hope this doesn't create a more widespread debate on various topics), but what are some of your reasons for apprehension on whether or not there is a God?

One book that I've read and found interesting is The Reason for God by Timothy Keller. Specifically written for those not of faith, on the fence, or very early believers, so whatever you consider yourself...it would be aimed at you. Mr. Keller is a very knowledgeable man and great minister from New York City (Redeemer Church).

If I get a fruit and eat it. If I say it's sweet, would you gonna believe this? Whether you believe it or not, how can you say it? Only if you take the fruit by yourself.

No way you should say you believe in God just because of your relationship. Just open your mind and your heart for God, and He will show you. Trully try it, question it, take it. And your boyfriend, if he likes you and trully believe God, will be the happiest man with your honesty and will help you with any doubt along the way.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back