Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Questions Concerning Messianic Judaism

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

YosefHayim

From my understanding Messianic Judaism is a form of Christianity that believes in Jesus Christ as the Messiah, but strictly following Jewish law and commandment?

How widespread is it? Also what do they call their house of worship? A church? Synagogue? Temple?

What are their typical practices compared to Christianity?

Last edited by a moderator:
Messianic Jews should be following the New Testament just as we do.
If they are strictly following Jewish law then they need to be taking another look at the book of Galatians.

From my understanding Messianic Judaism is a form of Christianity that believes in Jesus Christ as the Messiah, but strictly following Jewish law and commandment?

How widespread is it? Also what do they call their house of worship? A church? Synagogue? Temple?

I had class with a Messianic Jew, and He never once would let you Forget that was a Jew! He was a Christian, but He referred to me and all others as "you people". It did not matter what we were discussing his point was always superior to "us people" We had a potluck after class one day and He walked around telling all the Ladies that they made good food, but the Jewish women could do better. " you people can cook, but our Jewish women can REALLY cook." is the exact way He said it.

It was laughable most of the time, but He was dead serious about His superiority. He was CHOSEN, we were just drug along for the ride.

That is the only experience i have had with A messianic Jew, And I will NOT forget it!:)

I had class with a Messianic Jew, and He never once would let you Forget that was a Jew! He was a Christian, but He referred to me and all others as "you people". It did not matter what we were discussing his point was always superior to "us people" We had a potluck after class one day and He walked around telling all the Ladies that they made good food, but the Jewish women could do better. " you people can cook, but our Jewish women can REALLY cook." is the exact way He said it.

It was laughable most of the time, but He was dead serious about His superiority. He was CHOSEN, we were just drug along for the ride.

That is the only experience i have had with A messianic Jew, And I will NOT forget it!:)

You mean, what a Jew is in Adam, was for him more significant than what a believer from a Gentile background is in Christ?

If so, it's not a Biblical outlook, anyway.

You mean, what a Jew is in Adam, was for him more significant than what a believer from a Gentile background is in Christ?

If so, it's not a Biblical outlook, anyway.

No it was not biblical, it was comical IMO:).....I know I am not a humble guy, but he even made me blush at times!

We gentiles often have the same attitude towared Jews. Both are against Bible which teaches that we are all made one in Christ and the wall of seperation has been removed. We all should esteem others better than ourselves.
There are some messianic groups that are more inclusive of gentile believers and if I were searching for one, I would try to find one that values its tradition but treats all believers the same, and which does not hold to the law as a means to salvatiòn in any way, or even thinking of themselves as better because they keep the law. Pride and haughtinèss are never good in any form.

G1484

eth'-nos

Probably from G1486; a race (as of the same habit), that is, a tribe; specifically a foreign (non-Jewish) one (usually by implication pagan): - Gentile, heathen, nation, people.

Are Christians heathens, pagans?

Pe_2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

The way I read Peter Christians are a nation.

Eph_2:19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;

Christians are not foreigners....

It is not the blood that flows in our veins but the Blood that flowed from the Cross.

I have been a member of Jews for Jesus since 1985. I can tell you that they would lovingly set that person straight in a minute.

I dug around on my harddrive for a drawing that I hope will be found as helpful.

Could you please explain this graphic a little further please?

Are you sure this was a result of his belief system rather than being of himself? If he's going down to 'we can cook better than you,' sounds like it could be an issue of his own pride. There are people like that in every denomination, and even religion.

Yes, they believe Jesus is Christ but they think we are still under the Law. I highly disagree with them believing we are still under the law, but once we went to a Messianic Jewish service because they were my older sister's friends and my mom and sister wanted to see what it was like. There was a lot of people dancing around the room during the service, and flapping fabric in the air while people ran under it, and it lasted four hours when it was supposed to be one.

Yes, they believe Jesus is Christ but they think we are still under the Law. I highly disagree with them believing we are still under the law, but once we went to a Messianic Jewish service because they were my older sister's friends and my mom and sister wanted to see what it was like. There was a lot of people dancing around the room during the service, and flapping fabric in the air while people ran under it, and it lasted four hours when it was supposed to be one.

Rachel: I guess you guys don't dance in your church. Neither do we where we go. It's really because in the New Testament the emphasis is especially on the inward and spiritual in worship (worship Him in spirit and in truth - John 4.24).

Whereas Messianic circles seem to take their cue a lot from the Old Testament; Myriam and other women dancing before the Lord, etc. (Exodus 15.20).

Blessings.

Rachel: I guess you guys don't dance in your church. Neither do we where we go. It's really because in the New Testament the emphasis is especially on the inward and spiritual in worship (worship Him in spirit and in truth - John 4.24).

Whereas Messianic circles seem to take their cue a lot from the Old Testament; Myriam and other women dancing before the Lord, etc. (Exodus 15.20).

Blessings.
Well I have seen about some people dancing in churches but this was on a whole other level. They were running and spinning laps around the room, not the kind of dancing I have seen about in other churches.

Well I have seen about some people dancing in churches but this was on a whole other level. They were running and spinning laps around the room, not the kind of dancing I have seen about in other churches.

Rachel: I guess there is a broader, dispensational aspect, too, as regards where they go in Scripture to justify it (or not, as the case may be). Blessings.

There are several different Messianic groups who have different traditions they adhere to (feasts, etc.) Not all believe or pratice the same, just as us Christians and our different denominations.
Personally I have great respect for them in general. Some of them have had to give up family and friends to follow Messiah.

There are several different Messianic groups who have different traditions they adhere to (feasts, etc.) Not all believe or pratice the same, just as us Christians and our different denominations.
Personally I have great respect for them in general. Some of them have had to give up family and friends to follow Messiah.

Very true; and it's not wise to lump everyone together. Personally I think one of the great and Biblical strengths of a New Testament church is the people from both a Jewish and non-Jewish background, united in Christ, can find a spiritual home there together.

We believe the Law/Torah is relevant to all believers, Jew and Gentile as outlined in the scriptures. When one says Jewish law, that's an incomplete statement. Yes it was given to a redeemed nation in Israel, but was for all believers as the scriptures plainly state. As far as strictly following the Law, well that's up to each individual. And yes, there was a difference between man made rabbinical laws, and God given laws.

Don't know how widespread it is, but it is a growing movement for sure for one reason or another. As far as what we call ourselves, I tell my kids it's time to go to church. Some people get hung up and try to distant themselves from anything "Christian", but it don't matter to a lot of people. It's a place to worship The Lord.

As with anything, there can be a huge divide even amongst different Messianic congregations. Some Messianics/Hebrew Roots have teachings that Christmas and Easter is based on a pagan holiday and shouldn't be observed. Even if it had its roots as such, taking a day to acknowledge the King of Kings birth is honouring and glorifying him I find nothing wrong with that. It's the only time of year Jesus Christ is sung on the radio without it being used as a swear word. Even unbelievers get up in arms about taking Christ out of Christmas, so why would teachers preach their congregants against it? Don't make sense to me. Hanukkah and Feast of Purim are based on Jewish events and history that even Jesus observed, although they weren't instructions or commandments like the spring and fall feasts.

Main differences are observing the feast days and the Sabbath. Passover is coming up next month. It's a Sabbath that we come together to praise and worship The Lord, sing, dance, fellowship with others and remember Jesus was the Sacrificial Lamb for all. Yes, a terrible thing to be "under the law."

Traditions vary from place to place as in their service agenda. Worship is first, bless the kids underneath a tallitz before Shabbat School, read the news about going ons in Israel and what's happening in the believing community whether Messianic or Christian. Generally all believers nowadays are being persecuted and need prayer. Break into small groups and pray. Have the Torah scroll taken out of the "Ark" and it's walked around and people can touch God's Word and place it upon their heart or on their lips while singing Thy Word is a Lamp.. Then there are 7 Aliyah's/readings from the scriptures that 7 people are invited to stand up and read. Then the Rabbi will have the teaching. Then break for oneg (eat) then leave. 4 hours usually, but easily 4 of the quickest hours of the week unfortunately.

As I know people will say we aren't under the law, and cursed if you are and so on. I can only tell you what I have lived and experienced, and if this is what it's like to be under a curse, then bless that curse and may it never go away. Passover is coming up and Jesus followed it absolutely. Think about attending a Passover meal. I'm sure you will have a different perspective on this so called Jewish feast.

I could go on, but I would be happy to try and answer any other questions you may have.

HI there, Ryan.

If I may ask, what do you make of Luke 22, where the Lord Jesus gathers with his disciples for what is at first called the passover ('before I suffer'), but then institutes the Lord's Supper, which, when His followers would be observing it, would be looking back instead at Him in His death, a finished work (Hebrews 9 and 10)?

(If this is not too long a question.)

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back