Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

"R" rated movies

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
PS: @Nick :

I knew a guy once who used to protest outside movie theaters, if he strongly disliked a film, as if others shouldn't be allowed to watch it.

Then he also organized a petition about Christians in some countries where they don't have so much personal freedom.

Seems that he never figured the irony of campaigning against other people having personal freedom to do things he disagreed with, while campaigning in favor of other people having more freedom to do things he did agree with.

Blessings.

Yes, and I feel the need to restrict myself on things, such as i used to read romance novels [as I said I do not watch much TV, I prefer to read] but I stopped reading most of the authors that I used to. Now I read primarily Christian romance as it is much cleaner and carries a message other than that of nonchristian romance. I do not judge others on what they are allowed by the HS, just know my own convictions and restrictions :)
:thumbsup Mom strongly suggested ! I not go to see an movie I would not want to take Jesus with me to see... Most the stuff on TV and movies is Christlike...

[MENTION=96530]forgiven[/MENTION]:

Often a film, however secular, has some moral point behind it.

Often also, the moral point, whatever it is, gets drowned in violence and too much nudity.

So it's a kind of catch-22...

Often also, the moral point, whatever it is, gets drowned in violence and too much nudity.

Exactly, so if I would not feel comfortable wading through all of that violence and nudity with Christ sitting next to me, well I probably shouldn't be sitting there myself [since he is there with me anyway]. I just like the way that she phrased it in the earlier post. It sounds like something my own mom would say. It is similar to the way I look at most things, just actually have a phrase that makes it short and sweet to explain now, instead of taking forever to try and explain it out :)

Exactly, so if I would not feel comfortable wading through all of that violence and nudity with Christ sitting next to me, well I probably shouldn't be sitting there myself [since he is there with me anyway]. I just like the way that she phrased it in the earlier post. It sounds like something my own mom would say. It is similar to the way I look at most things, just actually have a phrase that makes it short and sweet to explain now, instead of taking forever to try and explain it out :)
[MENTION=96530]forgiven[/MENTION]:

Well, I'm sure this is something that you and your mom can be in agreement over (if not yet about faith based tattoos!). Sounds like your mom can talk a lot of sense (as does reba, of course).

Blessings.

PS:

Exactly, so if I would not feel comfortable wading through all of that violence and nudity with Christ sitting next to me, well I probably shouldn't be sitting there myself [since he is there with me anyway]. ..
@forgiven :

Here's a thought: the background to Psalm 51, David, Bathsheba and Uriah the Hittite, is actually all about violence and nudity, so to speak. Whether it actually needs to be depicted cinematographically is another matter, I suppose.

Some stuff is best left to the imagination, I guess. Not that it doesn't happen; not that it didn't happen in the Bible, either.

Blessings.

Here's a thought: the background to Psalm 51, David, Bathsheba and Uriah the Hittite, is actually all about violence and nudity, so to speak. Whether it actually needs to be depicted cinematographically is another matter, I suppose.

Some stuff is best left to the imagination, I guess. Not that it doesn't happen; not that it didn't happen in the Bible, either.

Blessings.

OH yes many things in the bible happened that were not of exactly PG on the rating scale if they were turned into movies. Now this story if we look at in context though in no way glorified David's sinful act though. Many of the other stories that depict violence and sexual content in the bible also have a moral behind it. And sometimes you have to wade through the violence and other to get to the heart of the story. The difference is that I go into the bible reading it KNOWING I will walk away with more than what I can a movie or any other book!! And that makes the difference to me! On the violence I will just be honest and say that I am a weeny [as my daughter so politely puts it!] anyway I do not like blood guts and gore in any form whether reading it or watching it. I actually get light headed if I see blood in real life. I could never work in the medical field!! And since I already do not like it then it is fairly simple for me to stay away from it. I just know that I feel alot better within myself when I stay away from things of a very violent nature or very sexual nature as well.
I also am very 'soft hearted' I guess you could say when I see violence done to some one even knowing it is fictional it bothers me. Or worse if it is not a fictional story. Let's take the story of Christ for example...... I have tried many times to read all 4 gospels' versions of the crucifixion in one sitting. Yeah still have not been successful at that b/c I end up too blurry eyed to finish. I get very upset while reading the things they did to Christ. And so instead I just end up blubbering like a baby for quite a while...........
I guess what I'm trying to say is that with the bible I have a few guarantees that I don't have with other books and movies. And one of those guarantees is that from all of the stories I have read of violence and sexual content from the bible make me walk away from that experience KNOWING that I shouldn't be doing it. Were as with movies and books that have arguably the same content in them, well it's a toss up how I may walk away from it.
Going back to my original post is that I don't think that all R rated movies are wrong, SOME simply cross the line for me, and the same goes for books. I just believe it is a line that we all must walk and listen to God on. If the HS allows it in others that is fine and I do not condemn them for that I simply know my own limitations in the spirit. :)

@Blessings.

OH yes many things in the bible happened that were not of exactly PG on the rating scale if they were turned into movies. Now this story if we look at in context though in no way glorified David's sinful act though. Many of the other stories that depict violence and sexual content in the bible also have a moral behind it. And sometimes you have to wade through the violence and other to get to the heart of the story. The difference is that I go into the bible reading it KNOWING I will walk away with more than what I can a movie or any other book!! And that makes the difference to me! On the violence I will just be honest and say that I am a weeny [as my daughter so politely puts it!] anyway I do not like blood guts and gore in any form whether reading it or watching it. I actually get light headed if I see blood in real life. I could never work in the medical field!! And since I already do not like it then it is fairly simple for me to stay away from it. I just know that I feel alot better within myself when I stay away from things of a very violent nature or very sexual nature as well.
I also am very 'soft hearted' I guess you could say when I see violence done to some one even knowing it is fictional it bothers me. Or worse if it is not a fictional story. Let's take the story of Christ for example...... I have tried many times to read all 4 gospels' versions of the crucifixion in one sitting. Yeah still have not been successful at that b/c I end up too blurry eyed to finish. I get very upset while reading the things they did to Christ. And so instead I just end up blubbering like a baby for quite a while...........
I guess what I'm trying to say is that with the bible I have a few guarantees that I don't have with other books and movies. And one of those guarantees is that from all of the stories I have read of violence and sexual content from the bible make me walk away from that experience KNOWING that I shouldn't be doing it. Were as with movies and books that have arguably the same content in them, well it's a toss up how I may walk away from it.
Going back to my original post is that I don't think that all R rated movies are wrong, SOME simply cross the line for me, and the same goes for books. I just believe it is a line that we all must walk and listen to God on. If the HS allows it in others that is fine and I do not condemn them for that I simply know my own limitations in the spirit. :)

forgiven:

Yes, some excellent points. The whole point of Scripture is that these things 'written aforetime were written for our learning, that through patience and comfort of the Scriptures we might have hope' (Romans 15.4).

Vastly different from Hollywood, right? :)

Blessings.

Don't know if anyone mentioned this but Hellywood..I mean Hollywood has been after the children for sometime now.liberals they r. R rated movies at first, in the latter '60's, had the sex and nudity. Now, for some time, a lot of the r-rated ones are mainly for violence.'The Patriot' comes to mind...great movie. Many pg's now have the sex and nudity. Satan laughing all the way.

You know that magic wands are made out of the wood from Holly trees. That's how you get that "Hollywood Magic".

Back