Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] Radioisotope Dating Seriously Flawed

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
OK, I'm going to start off this discussion with a story.

Some aliens came to study high school students.
They wanted to know the average age of high school students using the scientific method, and so they split into two groups.

The first group went to Ontario high schools and discovered the average height of the high school student was 65 inches.
Over three years the aliens discovered the average height gain of a high school student was 1 inch.
Extrapolating, they recorded the average age of a high school student was 65 years old.

The second group of aliens went to B.C. high schools and discovered the average weight of a high school student was 130 pound.
Over three years the aliens discovered the average weight gain by high school students was 2 pound.
They extrapolated and recorded the average age of a high school student was 65 years old.

The parents of the students protested and told the aliens the kids were just teenagers, and yet the aliens disregarded this testimony choosing to stick rigidly to the scientific method.

OK, so what did the aliens do wrong?
1) They assumed constant rate, and extrapolated the height and weight over the life of the student.
2) They assumed "zero" initial condition. That is that babies were born with zero height and weight.
3) They disregarded eye witness accounts, choosing to stick with the “reliable†scientific method.

The radioisotope dating method suffers from the same assumptions.
Radioactive atoms decay into stable atoms.
For example, uranium decays into lead. The radioactive atom is known as the “parent†atom and the stable atom is the “daughter†atom.
The radioactive atoms decay at a known rate into the daughter atoms.

An hour glass has been used as a good analogy.
We can estimate how much time has passed with an hourglass by calculating how much sand has escaped from the top to the bottom.

Think of a rock as an hourglass. The scientist first measures the parent atoms (sand at the top of the hourglass) then the daughter atoms (sand at the bottom of the hourglass)
Based on their observation, and the known rate of decay from parent to daughter, scientists are able to calculate the age of the rock by estimating the time it took for the daughter isotope to accumulate in the rock.
We can check an hourglass’ accuracy by resetting it and measuring the time it takes for the sand to empty with a reliable clock, however we cannot do the same with a rock.

We are forced to make three huge improvable assumptions for the radioisotope method, just as the aliens did.

There is no way to know what the parent/daughter composition was when the rock was formed.
So assumption 1 is what were the starting conditions
For example, with regard to volcanic lavas that erupted, flowed, and cooled to form rocks in the unobserved past, evolutionary geologists simply assume that none of the daughter argon-40 atoms was in the lava rocks.

Evolutionary scientists have assumed that by analyzing multiple samples of a rock body, or unit, today it is possible to determine how much of the daughter isotopes were present when the rock formed by using the isochron technique, which is still based on unproven assumptions 2 and 3.
This method fails because we have lava flows from the present which have been tested soon after they erupted, and they invariably contained much more argon-40 than expected.

For example, a sample of the lava in the Mt. St. Helens crater that had been observed to form and cool in 1986 was sent in to be analyzed in 1996 and it contained so much argon-40 that it had a calculated “age†of 350,000 years!

There are also examples from lava flows on the sides of Mt. Ngauruhoe, New Zealand known to be less than 50 years old, which have yielded “ages†of up to 3.5 million years!

So it is logical to conclude that if recent lava flows of known age yield incorrect old potassium-argon ages due to the extra argon-40 that they inherited from the erupting volcanoes, then ancient lava flows of unknown ages could likewise have inherited extra argon-40 and yield excessively old ages.

There are also huge problems for example with Grand Canyon’s basalts.
There are places on the North Rim where volcanoes erupted after the Canyon was formed, sending lavas cascading over the walls and down into the Canyon.

These eruptions took place very recently, after the Canyon’s layers were deposited. These basalts are dated at ages of up to 1 million years based on the amounts of potassium and argon isotopes in the rocks. But when they date the rocks using the rubidium and strontium isotopes, we get an age of 1.143 billion years! This is the same age as the basalt layers deep below the walls of the eastern Grand Canyon. How could lavas at the top and one at the bottom of the Canyon be the same age?

It’s obvious that what is happening is that the recent and the early lava flows share the same source for their rubidium-strontium chemistry. So the methods used do not give accurate ages, rather they show how lava flows from different time periods can be infused with the same rubidium-strontium (in this case)chemistry. They share the same source the deep in the earth’s upper mantle. This source already had both rubidium and strontium.

To make matters even worse for the claimed reliability of these radiometric dating methods, these same basalts that flowed from the top of the Canyon yield a samarium-neodymium age of about 916 million years, and a uranium-lead age of about 2.6 billion years!

The conclusion is obvious. The dates are way off and completely unreliable for giving accurate information.
The only usefulness these dating methods have is to perpetuate the dying last gasps of a terminally ill theory.

Assumption 2 is contamination
Unlike the hourglass, where its two bowls are sealed, the radioactive “clock†in rocks is open to contamination by gain or loss of parent or daughter isotopes because of waters flowing in the ground from rainfall and from the molten rocks beneath volcanoes. Similarly, as molten lava rises through a conduit from deep inside the earth to be erupted through a volcano, pieces of the conduit wallrocks and their isotopes can mix into the lava and contaminate it.

Because of such contamination, the less than 50-year-old lava flows at Mt. Ngauruhoe, New Zealand, yield a rubidium-strontium “age†of 133 million years, a samarium-neodymium “age†of 197 million years, and a uranium-lead “age†of 3.908 billion years!

Assumption 3 constant rate of decay
It has been assumed by evolution scientists that decay rates have always been the same.
However new evidence, has recently been discovered that can only be explained by the radioactive decay rates not having been constant in the past.

For example, the radioactive decay of uranium in tiny crystals in some New Mexico granite yields a uranium-lead “age†of 1.5 billion years. Yet the same uranium decay also produced abundant helium, but only 6,000 years worth of that helium was found to have leaked out of the tiny crystals.
This means that the uranium must have decayed very rapidly over the same 6,000 years that the helium was leaking. The rate of uranium decay must have been at least 250,000 times faster than today’s measured rate.

Hey, if you want to gamble your life on this kind of shaky methodology then go right ahead my friends, but it’s this very kind of information that opened my eyes.
I would have to be purposefully and wilfully blind to the truth for me to accept evolutionary ages based on these kinds of tests.

John

to aovid legal issues please post the origins of that quote, so that we can check the source for creditentials, not that i doubt that stuff, for i'm not up to full snuff on this arguement.

Sun dial Seriously Flawed

Let me use the same logic on the sundial.

1) If I thave two identical sundials, one in Singapore and one in Iceland, they will give different readings at the same time.
2) Sundials are noticably unreliable at night
3) If I shine a strong light on a sundial, the dial will give the wrong answer.
4) The sundial assumes that the sun location generally is constant from year to year. However, the earth may actually change its tilt, changing the sundial readings

Therefore, the sundial is a seriously flawed instrument.

In actual fact, the sundial is reliable if installed and used properly. Similarly, radioactive decay dating is reliable when used under appropriate conditions and methods.

1) If I thave two identical sundials, one in Singapore and one in Iceland, they will give different readings at the same time.
4) The sundial assumes that the sun location generally is constant from year to year. However, the earth may actually change its tilt, changing the sundial readings

In actual fact, the sundial is reliable if installed and used properly. Similarly, radioactive decay dating is reliable when used under appropriate conditions and methods.

strawman.jpg

Recently, argon/argon testing precisely dated the pyroclastic flow that buried Pompeii. Creationists can only shrug and suggest it was a "lucky guess."

So much for that one.

The Barbarian said:
Recently, argon/argon testing precisely dated the pyroclastic flow that buried Pompeii. Creationists can only shrug and suggest it was a "lucky guess."

So much for that one.

Nice, don't answer questions... good tactic

got a link to that claim of yours?

jasoncran said:
to aovid legal issues please post the origins of that quote, so that we can check the source for creditentials, not that i doubt that stuff, for i'm not up to full snuff on this arguement.
It's not a cut and paste, so no need to worry about legal issues.
the hourglass reference can be found in many sources. Check here...
http://www.answersingenesis.org/search/ ... collection
also here...
http://www.icr.org/index.php?f_search_t ... xt_any=any
And here...
http://www.asa3.org/ASA/resources/Wiens.html
And here...
http://swordandshield.biz/Serious-Probl ... Dating.pdf

there are many more resources if you would like them.

John

The Barbarian said:

So much for that one.
Ya, it's pretty easy to get it correct when the actual date is already historical fact Barb.
What do you say about the eleven year old samples coming back in the millions of years?

John

Re: Sun dial Seriously Flawed

Physicist said:

I agree. The problem is that it is not used properly, and that's why we get eleven year lava samples being dated in the millions of years.
You neglected to address this.

John

I agree. The problem is that it is not used properly, and that's why we get eleven year lava samples being dated in the millions of years.

It's a popular game with creationists. You have to find recent volcanic rock with xenocrysts. (minerals that crystallized out of the magma a long time before the eruption) The xenocrysts, being quite ancient, will give very old ages, even if the eruption occured just a few years ago.

Such samples are not considered acceptable for testing, unless rigorous methods of removing the xenocrysts are applied. But the professional creationists know most people don't realize it. And so they act surprised when a decades-old eruption is "dated" as millions of years old.

The Barbarian said:

It's a popular game with creationists. You have to find recent volcanic rock with xenocrysts. (minerals that crystallized out of the magma a long time before the eruption) The xenocrysts, being quite ancient, will give very old ages, even if the eruption occured just a few years ago.

Such samples are not considered acceptable for testing, unless rigorous methods of removing the xenocrysts are applied. But the professional creationists know most people don't realize it. And so they act surprised when a decades-old eruption is "dated" as millions of years old.

Except... the Grand Canyon part totally trumps what you just said...

Pard said:
The Barbarian said:

Except... the Grand Canyon part totally trumps what you just said...
Exactly what I was going to post!
Thanks Pard!

Bronzesnake

The Barbarian said:

Yes, the Creationist ploy of selecting contaminated samples is equivalent to my sundial example with someone shining a bright light on the dial. The technique in both cases is being misused.

Just looking at the sources both sides of this discussion have posted in support.

Against radioisotope dating
A selection of creation "science" websites of the kind invariably littered with basic factual errors and downright lies.*

For radioisotope dating
The University of California.

Now you may say I'm arguing from authority, but that speaks volumes to me.

*My favourite to date is the claim at Prophecy Archive that the 2nd law of thermodynamics requires the Earth's magnetic field to half in strength every 1400 years.

I guess both sides will inevitably be suspicious of each other’s sources.
I still believe its extremely damaging for any dating method to have such inherent flaws though.

I mean either the methods work every time on any sample, or they don't.
There are just too many examples of inconsistent dates from samples provided by evolution scientists themselves, and of course the hugely incorrect dates show from many examples where young samples were dated in the millions of years.
I will continue to provide real examples of completely incorrect results.
I’ll say this; if I were an evolutionist, I would not want to rely on such sketchy methods.
How can we trust any of the dates given when this is the reality?

Take care my friends.

John

How about the petrified tree in Australia, (I think it was in Aussie land, I'll get the source when I get home)the Carbon 14 date puts at at 78,000 years (though C-14 is only accurate to 5000). The Argon date puts it to 1.7 million years. So... we have a serious conflict here, don't we?

:wall why do these debates wind up with my source is better then yours?

once i understand the book i am reading (what darwin got wrong, and written by two athiest one biologist and the other a philospher.) i will post some of what they say about this debate.

i may be wrong on the credentails and these two arent for creationism that state they within the first page nor are they for intellegent design, they also hit the thiestic evolution hard as well.

How about the petrified tree in Australia, (I think it was in Aussie land, I'll get the source when I get home)the Carbon 14 date puts at at 78,000 years (though C-14 is only accurate to 5000).

The best equipment can get to about 45,000 years or better, and some really good setups can go out to as far as you report. So what happened is pretty much the same as trying to measure the temperature of a blast furnace with a candy thermometer. It just pegged the meter, because there was essentially no C-14.

The Argon date puts it to 1.7 million years. So... we have a serious conflict here, don't we?

Nope. Argon/argon dating can easily handle that one. C-14 analysis on something that old just pegs the dial, and you get the maximum age possible with that method. It's a common game YE creationists play.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back