Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Raising daughters--ben Sirach

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

President

I had an opportunity read out of a Bible with the Apocrapha today. My Bible at home doesn't have it.

I flipped through Sirach, and found the following passage. This is the RSV version of it.

[9] A daughter keeps her father secretly wakeful,
and worry over her robs him of sleep;
when she is young, lest she do not marry,
or if married, lest she be hated;
[10] while a virgin, lest she be defiled
or become pregnant in her father's house;
or having a husband, lest she prove unfaithful,
or, though married, lest she be barren.
[11] Keep strict watch over a headstrong daughter,
lest she make you a laughingstock to your enemies,
a byword in the city and notorious among the people,
and put you to shame before the great multitude.

[12] Do not look upon any one for beauty,
and do not sit in the midst of women;
[13] for from garments comes the moth,
and from a woman comes woman's wickedness.
[14] Better is the wickedness of a man than a woman who does good;
and it is a woman who brings shame and disgrace.

Verse 14 sounds rather harsh. The translation I was reading said the harshness of a man. I thought it was saying it was better to be overprotective as a father than for the daughter to bring disgrace, but it doesn't look that way in this translation.

Anyway, this is what I flipped open to in the book, and as a father of little girls, it looked like an interesting passage, especially for people with teenage daughters.

I suppose it's interesting. Sounds more like something one would read in the Koran. The verse 14 you pointed out can not be from God.

I dunno. I don't think v14 is harsh or extreme. Would it make anyone here feel better if we read, "Only one out of a thousand men is virtuous, but not one woman!" Using that principle, I would find v14 quite scriptural.

I like the apocrypha. I once offered a complete KJV bible in HTML format online already and included the apocrypha with it, and also some other esoteric books such as Enoch and Jashar.

Hey Presedent,
I've never heard of the book Sirach. I searched online and found there are extra books in the catholic Bible. As a girl with 4 sisters I can definitely relate to verses 9-11. Keep them in the Bible everyday and pray fervently for them. In this generation it's cruicial to raise godly children. My parents didn't do that for me and I was sexually active ata young age, drugs and more. I know God now, but I can tell you how dangerous it is for a teenage girl especialy with the media tellig so many lies. Pray, model, teach. I personally don't think those extra books should be in there because there are a lot of things that don't seem fluent with scripture. But that's me. I would ask your pastor or priest? Or do more research in your own. I'm sure there is somebody here that can tell you more though. God bless you and your daughters. Message me if u have any questions about girls. I know ALLLL. about them and what makes them tick ;)
Abbie

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Presedent,
I've never heard of the book Sirach. I searched online and found there are extra books in the catholic Bible. As a girl with 4 sisters I can definitely relate to verses 9-11. Keep them in the Bible everyday and pray fervently for them. In this generation it's cruicial to raise godly children. My parents didn't do that for me and I was sexually active ata young age, drugs and more. I know God now, but I can tell you how dangerous it is for a teenage girl especialy with the media tellig so many lies. Pray, model, teach. I personally don't think those extra books should be in there because there are a lot of things that don't seem fluent with scripture. But that's me. I would ask your pastor or priest? Or do more research in your own. I'm sure there is somebody here that can tell you more though. God bless you and your daughters. Message me if u have any questions about girls. I know ALLLL. about them and what makes them tick ;)
Abbie
@Abbiedobis :

It's part of the Apocrypha, which Protestants have not regarded as part of the inspired Word of God.

(Historically it can be interesting, of course.)

Blessings.

Back