Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] Random Mutation Generator

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
This is pretty cool.
This is a link to an actual Random Mutation Generator.
You can actually see how random mutations actually work.
Your Mission, should you choose to accept it, is to type a sentence into the Random Mutation Generator and then get it to say something else - something sensible, something more meaningful - without first producing a jumble of mis-spellings that drive your message into extinction.
Good luck, you'll need it!
http://www.randommutation.com/index.php

John Bronzesnake

So if that were a valid analogy, we should not observe any beneficial mutations, right?

(It's not a valid analogy because human language uses way more rigid grammar than DNA, where any triplet codes for a particular amino acid, unlike letters than can form a combination that is not a valid word)

jwu said:
So if that were a valid analogy, we should not observe any beneficial mutations, right?

(It's not a valid analogy because human language uses way more rigid grammar than DNA, where any triplet codes for a particular amino acid, unlike letters than can form a combination that is not a valid word)
so life and all life can figured out via a program? i know that you arent saying that,but dna is a set of instructions.

The random generator is very nice, but it's only half of evolution. The other half is natural selection. If you put that in the program, you'll get a result that creationists say is impossible. Engineers use just such generators to solve problems that are too complicated for design.

Would you like to see a simple one?

jasoncran said:
so life and all life can figured out via a program? i know that you arent saying that,but dna is a set of instructions.
It is a set of instructions, but more like a recipe or a list of ingredients than like a programming language.

In case of a computer program, even a slight random change would most likely result in a compiler error. The counterpart in biology would be a lethal mutation. Very, very most mutations however are not lethal, hence it's a very poor analogy.

Anyway, even computer programs can evolve though, if they are subject to procreation and selection. Avida is a pretty good example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avida

jwu said:
jasoncran said:
It is a set of instructions, but more like a recipe or a list of ingredients than like a programming language.

In case of a computer program, even a slight random change would most likely result in a compiler error. The counterpart in biology would be a lethal mutation. Very, very most mutations however are not lethal, hence it's a very poor analogy.

Anyway, even computer programs can evolve though, if they are subject to procreation and selection. Avida is a pretty good example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avida
ah, the mutations that cause epilsiy, and people die from epilepsy and also the not so beneficial sickle cell trait. and also "cancer"

epilespy if left untreated can kill. especially with the gran mall type siezures.
yes i have been looking at the genetic algorythm thing. still one might think that since we cant even predict the path of a hurricane how can fully grasp what dna does.let alone assume that because we can build something via random generations that we control(unlike evolution). that its happening that way.

ah, the mutations that cause epilsiy, and people die from epilepsy and also the not so beneficial sickle cell trait. and also "cancer"

Actually, sickle cell trait persists in areas where malaria is endemic, because heterozygotes for the trait are more likely to live long enough to have offspring. What is good for the species may have some bad results for some individuals.

yes i have been looking at the genetic algorythm thing. still one might think that since we cant even predict the path of a hurricane

But we can. The more we learn, the more days we can predict its path, and with better accuracy.

how can fully grasp what dna does.let alone assume that because we can build something via random generations that we control(unlike evolution). that its happening that way.

Engineers just point out that it works. God knew what He was doing.

jasoncran said:

epilespy if left untreated can kill. especially with the gran mall type siezures.
Yes, deleterious mutations do exist of course - but they don't occur as frequently and severely as a random change to a computer program would. That's the point here.

Very most mutations are neutral, some deleterious, some beneficial.

still one might think that since we cant even predict the path of a hurricane how can fully grasp what dna does.
The path of a hurricane is insanely complicated to predict though, as anything when it comes to metereology. Just because science has a hard time with something that sounds easy to a layman doesn't mean that science is generally clueless. Rather, it indicates that the layman doesn't grasp the complexity of the field. It's a bit like a beginner who has just been taught how to play chess as well as some basic tactics, and who then thinks he could beat everyone at the game if he just tries hard enough.

The Barbarian said:

Actually, sickle cell trait persists in areas where malaria is endemic, because heterozygotes for the trait are more likely to live long enough to have offspring. What is good for the species may have some bad results for some individuals.

[quote:523onhsz]yes i have been looking at the genetic algorythm thing. still one might think that since we cant even predict the path of a hurricane

But we can. The more we learn, the more days we can predict its path, and with better accuracy.

how can fully grasp what dna does.let alone assume that because we can build something via random generations that we control(unlike evolution). that its happening that way.

Engineers just point out that it works. God knew what He was doing.[/quote:523onhsz]
again you are claiming that God did it. that makes not evolution. you realize that statement from bronzsnake. if our intellegence is just happened from flukes and such like then how can god be behind it. dna doenst address that fully though it certainly build the brian.

there are 5 diseases linked to sickle cell trait , the trait only reduces the chances of getting the disease of malaria by 25%. that it.

i am well aware of why hurricanes cant be predicted, i live in florida.

but men are arrogant, and i'm sure that you are aware of the neoeugenics movement.

that is real my friend. i may post an article on that.

does life often actually act like it supposed in a lab all the time. surely if you look back at the foolish things that men used to beleive, even evolutionists, that have been debunked. we ought to be humble

to say that its all by chance, it arrogant

i read an article where scientist are trying to create rna, they have to keep adding materials to keep it going and also it could only replicate 10% of itself.

here we are deliiberately trying to make something that we claim to have just poofed into being and it cant keep it going long enough to replicate fully nor are able to "progress" on its own.

jasoncran said:
i am well aware of why hurricanes cant be predicted, i live in florida.
Then i don't see your point...

but men are arrogant, and i'm sure that you are aware of the neoeugenics movement.

that is real my friend. i may post an article on that.
Yes, and it may be a surprise: I'm not entirely against it. I think that on the long term (as in, thousands of years) mankind will need at least some degree of eugenics, as a necessary evil. Otherwise, with selection pressures almost removed, we'll deteriorate. Have you watched the comedy movie Idiocracy? Unfortunately it's pretty much right on regarding the genetic development of mankind.

to say that its all by chance, it arrogant
What exactly makes it arrogant? I honestly don't see it. Quite the opposite - a natural origin (by random mutation and selection) seems to be a way more humble position to me than to claim special creation by a deity.

i read an article where scientist are trying to create rna, they have to keep adding materials to keep it going and also it could only replicate 10% of itself.

here we are deliiberately trying to make something that we claim to have just poofed into being and it cant keep it going long enough to replicate fully nor are able to "progress" on its own.
I don't think "poofed into being" has resembles the current hypotheses about abiogenesis in any way. What's wrong with trying to figure out what a simple RNA based replicator could have looked like? And what is wrong with this taking a lot of experiments? It's not exactly a simple thing after all.

nothing wrong in seeing how we came to be. but the Fact that it takes an huge amount of effort keep rna going maybe means that it had some intellegence behind it.

second men are evil by nature..

unless you think otherwise. with all the advances in sciences, what has men done the most with it?
kill or control other men.

that's my deal with eugenics. men will make men in thier image. think Khan of of star trek. perfect example.

we can build the perfect expample of men but he will still be evil.

science its self is a tool, should we also as mr.barbarian just said what is good for the species may not be good for the indivual. apply that darwinism logic and relive hitler,stalin, and mao again.

now then i will cease the discussion into bioethics.

on the hurricane thing.
my point is this to sum it up:

men want to control nature and dominate it. not live in harmony with it. while i have no problems with some of this,but often nature has away reminded us weak we are. think the icelanding volcano

cs.lewis wrote a book on this called the abolition of man, i suggest you read it.

What exactly makes it arrogant? I honestly don't see it. Quite the opposite - a natural origin (by random mutation and selection) seems to be a way more humble position to me than to claim special creation by a deity.

jwu only

would you tell your parents that it would be 'arrogant' of them to tell you that your special and that they wanted you.

is it arrogant to say that we are loved by our parents. that they wanted us to come into existence.

that is what you have just said.

But if you can accept that your parents brought you into the world by natural means and still love you, why is it hard to accept that God brought the human race into the world by natural means and still loves us?

The Barbarian said:
But if you can accept that your parents brought you into the world by natural means and still love you, why is it hard to accept that God brought the human race into the world by natural means and still loves us?
Hello Barbarian.

There would be absolutely nothing wrong with that except that's not what God said He did.

What exactly do you mean by God creating the human race by "natural" means?
It's a rhetorical question as you know.

I just don't see why you fight so vehemently to prove God's word is wrong Barbarian.
There are excellent scientists working today who do not accept evolution, and not all of them are Christians, or any God based faith.

I’ve seen this debate change gears over the years where the discussions used to be in regards to the excellent fossil corroboration, and that’s exactly where the evidence must lay if the theory is correct.
However no evolutionary scientists are debating fossils anymore, because they understand it’s a losing cause, and so now the debate is exclusively in regards to DNA.

This is because the science is relatively new and extremely complex, and therefore these discussions are not easily concluded because in most cases the studies are not completed.
Also, the layman who is interested in the discussions can only repeat what the scientists are discussing in general terms due to the obvious fact that we are not geneticists. That’s almost a moot point though because if the fossils aren’t here then it could not and did not happen on a genetic level, that should be apparent, but for some reason these debates continue in spite of this obvious fact.

I must reiterate; I simply cannot understand why any Christian would abandon his faith in God’s word and side with in effect the enemy, in spite of the fact that the evidence for evolution is extremely tentative, and the fact that there are extremely highly educated creation and atheists scientists who are telling us the theory doesn’t hold water.

If I am involved in any debate where a biblical reality, or doctrine is being challenged and there is one group of “experts “opposing the scriptures and another group of “experts†supporting the scriptures, I am siding with the group that supports God’s word every time!
How can you switch camps like this barbarian? Especially when the evidence for evolution is so flimsy?

The random generator is very nice, but it's only half of evolution. The other half is natural selection. If you put that in the program, you'll get a result that creationists say is impossible. Engineers use just such generators to solve problems that are too complicated for design.
Natural selection is accounted for in the program.
http://www.randommutation.com/darwinianevolution.htm
...Now we add Natural Selection
With English, Natural Selection equates to people preferring one sentence over the other.
One of the best real-world examples of natural selection is advertising. Let's say you sell quick brown foxes and you want to advertise them on the Internet. You could write a paid Google advertisement (you see them running down the right side of the screen when you search) that says something like this:
Quick Brown Fox
Jumps Over Your Lazy Dog
Other Colors Available too - Black, White
www.QuickBrownFox.com

One of the cool things about Google is you can write several ads and they compete with each other for clicks. You could write a different version of the ad
Fast Black Foxes
Jump Over Lazy Dogs
Black, White, Brown - 50% off
www.QuickBrownFox.com
You run both ads simultaneously for a day or two.
Let's say the first one gets clicked on 1% of the time, the second one gets clicked on 3% of the time.
That means the second one is 3 times better than the first. The second one wins, the first one gets deleted. (This is exactly how it's done, by the way.) In fact Google is the ultimate Darwinian advertising machine! The winners rise and the losers fall.
And again, if we've never actually seen Random Mutation before, we might imagine that the Random Mutation Generator would be quite helpful in writing new ads.

See For Yourself The Random Mutation Generator is NOT Helpful AT ALL...
If you experiment with this yourself, you will quickly discover this doesn't work at all - because random mutation seems to only destroy your sentences:
The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog
after 5 mutations becomes
Qhe qu4ck brown fox jimpeX over.the lazy dog
and after 10 mutations becomes
Qhe qN4ck brown fox Vim3eX oeer.the lazy Iog

Or let's take these ads we've just written:
After 5 mutations:
Fast Black Foxes
Jump Ove6 Lazy Dogs
kylack, White, Brown - 50% off
whw.QuickBrownFox.coL
After 10 mutations:
Fast Black Foxes
Jump3Ove6 LaSy Dogs
kylack, White, Browf - y0% off
whw.QuickBrownFod.coL

If you play with the Random Mutation Generator for about 10 minutes, you begin to see that in order to get your sentence to evolve in any useful way at all, the mutations would HAVE to focus on individual words and leave the other words alone. But maddeningly, the mutation generator doesn't do that. It just randomly destroys the stuff that was already good. Random mutation is blind and has no respect for what is already working fine.

And it doesn't matter how many times you hit the reset button and start over. The most you can ever get from this is a minor spelling change from a few mutations. But once you've attained some kind of very modest change, the random mutations continue to destroy what you've built. After 20-30 mutations it's not even recognizable as English anymore!

There's an Even Bigger Problem
Let's say you want the word Brown to evolve into the word Black. Shouldn't be too hard, should it? Only four letters need to change after all. But even if you could get the mutations to concentrate just on those four letters, you'd still get a mis-spelled word, which natural selection would eliminate before it ever evolved into the correct spelling.

Let's try it, one mutation at a time:
Brown > Brorn > Brorb > BrorW > qrorW > qKorW > qKoJW > qKoyW > qFoyW > qjoyW > qjTyW
After 10 mutations we didn't have a single letter remaining.
Maybe we need to do more than 1 mutation at a time? If I do 5 at a time maybe I can make the leap in one step:
Brown > Vr17n

Remember: In real life, mis-spelled words will cause our ads to go extinct.

A mis-spelled ad with garbage characters can't compete with a correctly spelled one - nobody will respond to it. Mis-spellings are not what we want and they're NOT good!
Our only hope is some kind of "punctuated equilibrium" where big jumps happen all at once. What's the chances of evolving Brown > Black in one step?
You can easilycalculate the statistical chances of this. For each letter there are 52 possible letters (including lower case and caps) and 10 numbers, plus a few punctuation marks. There's a total of about 65 possible characters per letter.
So the chances of evolving Brown to Black in one step are one chance in 65 to the power of 5, which is one chance in 1,160,290,625 (just over one in a billion).
One in a billion odds against evolving just ONE WORD - that's pretty remote.
...And it only gets worse
Remember, that's just ONE five-letter word. For a whole sentence like
The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog
which has 44 characters, there are 5.8639153496314421699960747595891e+79 possible combinations.
That's about the same as the number of particles in the entire universe.

Now obviously there are many possible sentences that can be constructed with 44 characters, maybe billions. Maybe even trillions. But even with billions or trillions - compared to 10 to the power of 79, all you're doing is knocking off a dozen zeros. Whether you do this experimentally or statistically, you quickly realize - this is hopeless!

The problem is this: It's impossible to re-write a sentence one or two letters at a time without getting fatal spelling errors in between - which cause your sentence to become extinct.

Oh, and there's one other problem: The longer the text, the worse it gets. It's fairly easy to produce a few real words with the Random Mutation Generator if you start with only five or six characters. But a complete sentence, like The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog, is nearly hopeless, as we've already seen. Every single letter you add to your sentence makes your odds worse by a factor of 65. Those 65's multiply real, real fast. An entire paragraph or page of text - that's a disaster!
Your own DNA contains as much information as a stack of encyclopedias. Would you even dream of trying to edit an encyclopedia with a random mutation generator? (Anyone who wants to is welcome to try.)

Short Easy Sentences vs. Real DNA, Real Biological Systems
Again, we've just played with a 44 character sentence. But what about real life?
The simplest known micro-organism is a parasite called Nanoarchaeum. It's got 490,885 base pairs. In other words its DNA has a string of almost half a million characters, each of which is the letter A, C, G or T. A simpler living organism is not known to exist.
Our sentence The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog requires 308 bits (1's and 0's) to represent in binary computer language (ASCII). Nanoarchaeum's DNA, by comparison, requires 981,770 bits to represent in binary computer language. Nanoarchaeum contains 3000 times more information than our simple sentence.
If a short sentence like The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog can't evolve through random mutation, then even "simple" microorganisms that are thousands of times more complex won't be able evolve through random mutation either. Random mutation does not create new information, it only destroys information.

Evolution through Random Mutation:
Possibly the Greatest Myth in Modern Science
The idea that random mutation creates biological diversity fails computer simulations*; it fails if you compute the statistics; and it fails biologically. This observation was confirmed by Theodosius Dobzhansky's fruit fly radiation experiments, Goldschmidt's gypsy moth experiments, and others. Decades of research were conducted in the early 20th century, bombarding fruit flies and moths with radiation in hope of mutating their DNA and producing improved creatures. These experiments were a total failure – there were no observed improvements – only weak, sickly, deformed fruit flies.
A bit of experimentation with the Random Mutation generator makes it clear why:
• Language, plans and instructions do not evolve from the "bottom up."
• Language, plans and instructions do not evolve in microscopic increments, one or two letters at a time. They evolve in increments of entire words, phrases, sentences and paragraphs.
• Language, plans and instructions evolve as an expression of ideas which come first.

When you write or speak, you begin with intent which becomes a sentence made of words which are made of letters. When you translate from English to French, for example, you cannot translate one letter at a time. And you can't really translate one word at a time either, that's a disaster. You have to translate idea for idea. The same is true when you edit a document that you or someone else has written - the letters are subordinate to the words, which are subordinate to the ideas. Ideas come first.

Evolution via Random Mutation is nothing more than an urban legend. Why does this superstition persist? I believe it's because 99.9% of the people who believe it and talk about it have never conducted an experiment like this to see with their own eyes that it just doesn't work.

Randomness vs. Science
The entire enterprise of scientific inquiry has always been the assumption and discovery of underlying order. NOT disorder! From Copernicus, Galileo and Newton right up to the present day, science has always succeeded by assuming in advance that there are specific undiscovered causes for the behavior of the physical world. Scientists have always been motivated by a belief that these causes could be discovered. In fact science itself was born from a philosophical worldview that believed (for mostly theological reasons) that the universe was governed by an unchanging, predictable, discoverable set of laws.

Could life and DNA have risen randomly? There is perhaps some remote chance that they did. However I contend that such an explanation does not even qualify as a scientific explanation at all, simply based on the dictionary definition of science itself:
sci•ence (s?'ens) n. The observation, identification, description, experimental investigation, and theoretical explanation of phenomena.
Chance or accident as a proposed origin of anything defies observation, identification, description and experimental investigation. So "Randomness" per se not only doesn't explain how anything operates, it is categorically not even an explanation.

It doesn't produce a testable hypothesis. It doesn't give anyone the ability to reproduce what happened in the past.

Whenever randomness is said to be an explanation of any particular process, then that explanation by definition can never be reproduced or tested. It only evades the question and ties the powerful hands of science behind its back.

"Randomness" as a theory of biological diversity is not merely bad science, it's a wholesale avoidance of scientific inquiry. It leads to theories and terms like 'Junk DNA.' (An October 2004 article in Scientific American described the Junk DNA hypothesis as "one of the biggest mistakes in the history of molecular biology.") There is no junk in DNA, and to assume there is just eliminates the possibility of making new, important discoveries.

To Continue On Next Post

A Newer, 21st Century View of Evolution
G.K. Chesterton, the well-known 20th century intellectual, said "The Christian is quite free to believe that there is a considerable amount of settled order and inevitable development in the universe. But the materialist is not allowed to admit into his spotless machine the slightest speck of spiritualism or miracle." Chesterton is suggesting that battle over 'creation vs. evolution' is, to some extent, a false dichotomy.
The real issue, both scientifically and philosophically, is naturalism vs. design.
Random Mutations cause birth defects, tumors, cancer, death and extinction; mutations are helpful in only the rarest of circumstances and are completely incapable of introducing significant improvements.
The current dogma which says random mutations drive evolution is almost completely false.

So the faster we can discard this wrongful notion, the faster we can get on with real research and understanding.

"Is the Ability to Evolve Pre-Programmed?"
If random mutations are not the source of adaptation, could there still be an adaptability mechanism pre-programmed in biological systems? Could DNA re-write itself? As you can see here, random processes simply are not the answer.

When I discovered this for myself, I wondered if evolution could be engineered to happen.

Microbiologist James A. Shapiro of the University of Chicago has done extensive research on this very question and has published a number of papers confirming that yes, there is an adaptation mechanism in DNA that is marvelously sophisticated. Mr. Shapiro has discovered that a protozoa, subjected to extreme environmental stress, can splice its own DNA into over 100,000 pieces (!), re-arrange them in a highly systematic fashion, producing new protozoa that inherit a new set of characteristics.

In other words DNA can be likened to a computer program that re-writes itself on the fly. In fact this is how our own immune systems adapt to a nearly infinite range of possible threats and ward off attackers - through this kind of sophisticated adaptation.

Mr. Shapiro published a fascinating paper in the Journal of Biological Physics called "A 21st Century View of Evolution." In this paper, the failed "Random Mutation" view is discarded and replaced with a much more sophisticated, engineered process. Instead of seeing DNA as a static database that is acted on by outside random forces, it is now seen as being more like a intelligent operating system that repairs files, corrects errors, and adapts to changing circumstances. It's nothing short of amazing.

Shapiro's work clearly shows that evolution, however it may be understood, is anything but a random process.

Bronzesnake

jasoncran said:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn14667-junk-dna-may-have-handed-us-a-gripping-future.html

junk dna isnt junk after all then if our opposible thumbs are part of that "junk".
True!
This is another tactic used by evolutionists. They stamp this DNA which they have no explanation for as "JUNK" and it goes into the public consciousness as another scientific fact discovered by "real" scientists.
But right from the begining this DNA was not understood by them and therefore became a possible threat because if they came righ out and admitted they ahd no clue as to what it did or waht it was for, people may begin to realise these evolutionists scientists may not have all the answers after all. In fact they have none of the real answers.

John Bronzesnake

Barbarian asks:

There would be absolutely nothing wrong with that except that's not what God said He did.

Well, let's take a look...

Genesis 1:24 And God said: Let the earth bring forth the living creature in its kind, cattle and creeping things, and beasts of the earth, according to their kinds. And it was so done.

Turns out, He did say it.

I just don't see why you fight so vehemently to prove God's word is wrong Barbarian.

Notice that you are the one who won't accept what He says. Your YE doctrine of "life ex nihilo" is directly in opposition to His word in Genesis.

There are excellent scientists working today who do not accept evolution, and not all of them are Christians, or any God based faith.

Last time I checked, matching the Discovery Institute's list of "scientists who doubt Darwin", and Project Steve, we come up with about 0.3% of biologists who don't accept evolution. As you might expect, the less expertise a scientist has in biology, the less likely he is to accept the theory.

I’ve seen this debate change gears over the years where the discussions used to be in regards to the excellent fossil corroboration, and that’s exactly where the evidence must lay if the theory is correct.

For example, the predicted whale intermediates have since shown up, as well as large number of transitional hominins. Frogs and turtles are no longer question marks, as we have their transitionals, too. The fossil record continues to grow, and it's not just that the fossils match predictions of evolutionary theory, it's that they never show anything that would not be predicted by the theory.

However no evolutionary scientists are debating fossils anymore, because they understand it’s a losing cause, and so now the debate is exclusively in regards to DNA.

You've been misled about that, too. Even entomologists are not in it; the transition between ants and other hymenopterans has been found. And of course Phil Gingritch has a wealth of fossil whales that confirm predictions about their ancestry. If you doubt this, feel free to name any two major groups said to be evolutionarily connected, and I'll see if I can find you a transitional.

That’s almost a moot point though because if the fossils aren’t here then it could not and did not happen on a genetic level, that should be apparent, but for some reason these debates continue in spite of this obvious fact.

One of the spectacular successes of molecular biology is the use of DNA to examine claims of evolution. And the analyses have verified them, to a high degree of precision. Would you like to learn about that?

I simply cannot understand why any Christian would abandon his faith in God’s word and side with in effect the enemy,

Truth cannot contradict truth. God is on the side of truth. It should matter to you, too.

If I am involved in any debate where a biblical reality, or doctrine is being challenged and there is one group of “experts “opposing the scriptures and another group of “experts†supporting the scriptures, I am siding with the group that supports God’s word every time!

Unless it contradicts your faith in YE. And then you turn you back on the Bible.

Barbarian observes:

Natural selection is accounted for in the program.

No, it's not. If you'd like, I can give you a much simpler example of the way random variation and natural selection can lead to increased fitness. Would you like to try it?

There's an Even Bigger Problem
Let's say you want the word Brown to evolve into the word Black. Shouldn't be too hard, should it?

Turns out, it's not. First you write a program to randomly switch a letter in "brown." Then you apply natural selection. Take all the new words, and keep only the ones that are more like "black." And then mutate them, again picking only the ones that are most like black. You very quickly get "black."

Let's try it, one mutation at a time:
Brown > Brorn > Brorb > BrorW > qrorW > qKorW > qKoJW > qKoyW > qFoyW > qjoyW > qjTyW
After 10 mutations we didn't have a single letter remaining.

Try it with natural selection. Works surprisingly well. Which is why engineers use it for complex problems.

Remember: In real life, mis-spelled words will cause our ads to go extinct.

Wrong. Most mutations don't do very much, even if a lot of small ones can add up to big changes. This is why (for example) "misspelled words" can produce more efficient diesel engines.

Our only hope is some kind of "punctuated equilibrium" where big jumps happen all at once.

That's not what punctuated equilibrium is about. You'd be more effective if you knew what you were talking about.

Short Easy Sentences vs. Real DNA, Real Biological Systems

Good point. Barry Hall, working with E. coli, observed a new, irreducibly complex enzyme system evolve by random mutations and natural selection. You see, enyzmes aren't like words; they have a wide range of activities, and thus can evolve by mutation and natural selection.

Evolution through Random Mutation:
Possibly the Greatest Myth in Modern Science

The myth is one created by creationists. It's not what science says about evolution.

The idea that random mutation creates biological diversity fails computer simulations

Let's take a look...

Let Darwinism loose in an electronics lab and just watch what it
creates. A lean, mean machine that nobody understands. Clive Davidson
reports

"GO!" barks the researcher into the microphone. The oscilloscope in
front of him displays a steady green line across the top of its
screen. "Stop!" he says and the line immediately drops to the bottom.

Between the microphone and the oscilloscope is an electronic circuit
that discriminates between the two words. It puts out 5 volts when it
hears "go" and cuts off the signal when it hears "stop".

It is unremarkable that a microprocessor can perform such a
task--except in this case. Even though the circuit consists of only a
small number of basic components, the researcher, Adrian Thompson,
does not know how it works. He can't ask the designer because there
wasn't one. Instead, the circuit evolved from a "primordial soup" of
silicon components guided by the principles of genetic variation and
survival of the fittest.

http://www.netscrap.com/netscrap_detail.cfm?scrap_id=73

it fails if you compute the statistics; and it fails biologically. This observation was confirmed by Theodosius Dobzhansky's fruit fly radiation experiments,

You've been only told half the story. The rest of it, is how Theo Dobzhansky solved the speciation issue:
http://www.genetics.org/cgi/reprint/144/4/1331.pdf

Surprise.

Evolution via Random Mutation is nothing more than an urban legend. Why does this superstition persist?

Because creationists peddle it as much as they can. The real theory isn't like that. But as engineers are learning, random variation and natural selection can produce all sorts of new things.

Jason, would you like to try a random generator with natural selection? You only need a pair of dice and some paper and pencil to do it.

And you can test Bronzesnake's assertion directly. Very simple to do.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back