Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Real Men

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
So I'm curious as to what others believe makes a "real man." I hear so many people these days saying "you're not a real man unless you do this or that." There are many examples of this where I live at, because around here we have a big shift towards the "redneck" lifestyle. So I constantly see others saying things such as "You're not a man unless you drive a big lifted truck" or "You're not a man unless you wear boots and jeans." A girl my friend works with asked her how big her boyfriends truck is. I just said why does it matter? It irritates me to hear others talk like that, because what I see as being a real man is standing for what you believe in; not bending to the judgment of others but instead continuing on with what you believe is right and doing what you want to do. A lot of my friends like to pick on me because I drive a "puny" Honda Civic. Its all in good fun, but I drive it because its reliable and gets amazing gas mileage; I'm not trying to fit in with any kind of lifestyle.

I'm curious to hear what others believe makes a real man. I'm especially curious to hear what the ladies believe makes a real man. Share thoughts, examples, experiences. Feel free to comment on my definition of what a real man is.

I'm especially curious to hear what the ladies believe makes a real man.
Being 68 years old my views on what a 'real man' have changed
Back a million years ago i thought real men were like The Fonze
As a woman, a real man is not afraid to show his love for the Lord....a real man uses His God given abilities to care for his family.. Make wise decisions / learn from his mistakes, As you said stand for what is right..

A little ol lady for Pasadena can buy a big pick truck...

A real man is a kingdom man. Is one who places himself under God's rulership and submits his life to the lordship of Jesus Christ. When a kingdom man functions according to the principles and precepts of the kingdom, there will be order, authority and provision.

A real man is a kingdom man. Is one who places himself under God's rulership and submits his life to the lordship of Jesus Christ. When a kingdom man functions according to the principles and precepts of the kingdom, there will be order, authority and provision.
A man who is spiritually connected to God carries out the rule of God through combining the spiritual with the physical.

As a woman, a real man is not afraid to show his love for the Lord....a real man uses His God given abilities to care for his family.. Make wise decisions / learn from his mistakes, As you said stand for what is right..

lol fonzi barberrelli? wow. yes funny how that was the male icon

OK. Hand in your man card and receive the requisite demerits for asking such things.

Look, I guess I have to fit the bill for a "man's man". Not that I was ever looking to be one.
By that I mean I have a career in the construction industry (electrician) and am smarter than I appear.

Sure I also have a class B CDL without any restrictions for air breaks...meaning there ain't many vehicles I can't drive...or haven't. My pickup truck has a tool box full of tools and materials. And I work in a dirty environment every day without women. I also have a beard and a mean look on my face most times.

Not a bit of that makes me a man.
It's more about knowing what I believe and why and standing firm for those beliefs. I love my wife hard core even if she isn't" Barbie ".
I love God moreso...unapologetically and don't give two figs whether anyone loves that or hates that.
I recognize that others have talents I don't... And interests I don't... And they may even be better than me in some of my talents I take seriously and that's OK. Maybe even a good thing. Recognizing these talents does not diminish mine at all.

These attitudes are what makes you a man. Courage, honor, and serving others in your community is what makes you a man's man. Not toys or beer consumption.

But if you watch Gilmore Girls or Downton Abbey all bets are off.:hysterical

Awesome answers guys. Pretty much exactly how I thought being a real man should really be. JohnDB great answer. A big beard doesnt define a man, or the size of his truck, or what he does for a living. Although ill admit I admire a good beard :biggrin

FS, I think you need to learn to laugh at yourself. Everywhere, men will tease each other about such things. I can't even tell you how much ribbing I got in the Navy for being a Yankee. Just be a good sport, but, remain true to yourself and remain true to God.

10-4 on that and no Pick-up I ever purchased compared to anyof the diesel tractors I drove for a living anyway. For years and years I wore no hat with less than a 4 inch brim and they needed to be Silver Bellies, every one of them. I now know how to love my wife, I no longer wear any kind of Cowboy Boot, let along 18" Stove Pipes and my wife loves the s
Stingy Brims.

I've noticed, in the past 70 years that rel men come in a lot of different packages but IMHO most of the fakes do not understand the Bride and are scared to death of being identified as a member of such. A real man is liable to be scared in some points but he is not frozen with fear. And being part of the Bride of the Christ, there is no greater honor.

Today's real man
caitlyn-jenner-hero-200x250.jpg

Caitlyn Jenner

FS, I think you need to learn to laugh at yourself. Everywhere, men will tease each other about such things. I can't even tell you how much ribbing I got in the Navy for being a Yankee. Just be a good sport, but, remain true to yourself and remain true to God.
I had to learn that too! Getting all offended over some ribbing. Now I just laugh, rib back, maybe push them around a little bit just for fun.

I get ribbed by my brother in law because I'm not very handy with vehicles. I make fun of him for typing with two fingers and barely knowing how to spell. We push each other a little bit and have a good laugh. Sometimes ribbing is just how folks show love. Same with my step-dad. I missed out on all kinds of that because I was too busy getting offended! Lol.

My definition of a real man, FS, is Paul's definition -- it's when I grew up and put behind childish things. I work 40+ hours a week, keep up my household, spoil my wife occasionally, go to church, possess integrity to make decisions for myself regardless if it's popular, I don't have much but I've worked to have what I've got. No one can tell me I'm not a man. But the thing is it wouldn't matter if someone said to me that I'm not a man, because my manhood isn't based upon their perception.

Here's a boy, IMO: No work ethic. No sense of character. No integrity to stand up for what's right. Puts leisure ahead of advancement. Is wishy-washy in personality and changes himself to suit who's around.

Last edited:
In my opinion the question stems down to what seperates men from boys. Every culture has an answer to what makes a person an adult. And they hold people to that. I've heard the lines "your an adult know, you should know better," and "your an adult now you figure it out," a few times talking to someone who should be mature enough to handle themselves well. For an answer though, what makes a person an adult verses a kid relies on how much responsibility they hold. Not their beliefs, or their ethics, or their morals. But just how much they have to be responsible for.

Now what counts as a man that I like and respect, instead of just acknowledge to at least being a man, that's a different story.

Back