Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

REALLY CONFUSED!

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
As a young Christian woman of God I know that God is suppose to write my love story, but of course even as Christians we make the wrong turns in life and disregard Gods directions. In 2008 while being a freshman in college, a guy at my church told me he liked me and I decided to become his girlfriend. That was the worst thing I could have ever done because I never got to know him as a friend! Soon and unexpected, we broke up, well he broke up with me after being with him for three months.

So now, in 2010 I got the chance to go to young adult church camp and I met another guy. We started talking and it’s been about three weeks since we started out as friends, and I feel that my emotions are taking over, because I find myself saying things, and I feel very different after. Well, yesterday my ex texted me saying that he broke up with his girlfriend because he realized that he should have never broken up with me. What’s a girl to do as a Christian? Especially when you’re caught up in between the two? And plus I hurt the new dude too; I guess he is disappointed that I told him I was talking to my ex.

Re: REALLY CONFUSED BY THE WRONG LOVE STORY

No wonder you're confused." God is suppose to write my love story". You haven't realized that He already has!

Luke 14:25-27 (New King James Version)

25 Now great multitudes went with Him. And He turned and said to them, 26 “If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, WIFE and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple. 27 And whoever does not bear his cross and come after Me cannot be My disciple.

TRANSLATION:We must love Jesus so much that we will sacrifice our own lives to serve Him and Him alone.

You have unfortunately bought into the false teaching that is prevalent in many churches that God wants us to fall in love with humans,in your case very immature boys,and dedicate our lives to serving them.

DEDICATE YOURSELF TO THE ETERNAL NON-FICKLE LOVE OF YOUR LIFE!

Godinme, you said regarding becoming the first guy's girlfriend "That was the worst thing I could have ever done because I never got to know him as a friend!"

I think this is the key. To get to know others as friends. It's not necessarily a bad thing to move into a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship quickly, as long as both of you realize that you need to build a friendship even as you are building a relationship. But, too often, especially today (although it was pretty much the same 30 years ago when I was college age) people feel pressured to move into an intimate relationship, including physical intimacy, even sex and then they do not follow the principles God laid out for us.

You know, I'm not necessarily convinced about the whole "God is supposed to write my love story" bit. I believe that we have free will on this earth in just about everything except our ability to be saved (only Christ can save us.) I don't think that God is up in heaven saying "Godinme can marry Joe and only Joe and nobody else but Joe and if she does marry someone other than Joe, she's out of My will."

In the Bible, we are given basic principles we must apply to our relationships. As godly women, we need to realize that we will be in submission to our husband, so we need to seek godly men, men who will be able to take on the spiritual reign of the household, who will be a good provider and a good father to our children. We do need to be sexually attracted to the man, because that will be an important part of our marriage, but we also need to remain sexually pure until marriage, so we need to seek out men who maintain their own sexual purity and don't put pressure on women to have sex outside of marriage. We need to seek out men that we can be in agreement with, or are willing to follow, so that we do not become tempted to try to rule over our husbands.

It would be impossible to learn whether or not a man is someone that we can submit to these principles under, unless we get to know him as a person and as a friend.

This is why friendship is really a good thing. By being friends with a guy and considering him as a friend, it becomes easier to get to know him and know what kind of guy he is while your emotions aren't completely engaged. However, as a woman, I also know how hard it is for the emotions to NOT become engaged when a guy is seeking you out. One of the things we women need to learn is how to master our emotions when it comes to guys and think with our heads, even when our hearts are doing back-flips.

Right now, you are considering two different men: your ex-boyfriend and the new guy. As a Christian woman, you want to consider which of these two men bolster your walk with God. Which of these two men would be the kind of man you can submit to? Which of these two men would be a good provider, a good father, a godly head of a household? Which of these two men are you the more attracted to?

It could very well be that neither guy is right for you at this point in time and you simply need to learn what it is about each one that isn't right, so that you know what to look for later. It could be that either man would make an excellent husband and you are simply not ready for marriage yet. Frankly, it doesn't sound as if you are really in love with either one.

This is why I think that it's best to jettison the idea of dating and boyfriend/girlfriend relationships completely and return to the idea of courting. Courting would mean to be just friends and hang out in group situations until there comes one that you truly believe you would be interested in marrying and he desires marriage with you. Then, have him get to know your family and your friends and you get to know him and his, all with the idea of marriage in mind. In courting situations, it's not just the man and woman (who are probably being clouded by emotion and physical tensions) making observations and learning about the other, but loved ones who have your best interests at heart also being part of things. It can make for a much stronger marriage.

But, don't let anyone dis marriage to you. Marriage is God's norm for mankind, it was God Who instituted marriage in the first place. When the disciples said that it was better not to marry, Jesus replied, “All cannot accept this saying, but only those to whom it has been given." This is found in Matthew 19:11. There is no spiritual superiority in not marrying, nor is there spiritual superiority in marrying. If you decide to remain single and chaste because you feel it is what God has called you to, then walk fulfilled in singleness. If you don't feel that God is calling you to be single forever, then by all means, seek a godly man to marry. God by no means gives all of us the ability to remain single.

Hey Handy, i really appreciated that alot! its kinda weird because here i am just NOW forgetting about my ex and i meet this new dude at church camp, and then my ex comes up and says he still likes me. As far as being in a relationship, im currently with the church camp dude. I dont think i would be able to be in a relationship with my ex because the TRUST factor would be missing, and probably wouldnt be able to be restored. He recently got baptized and i see him cursing, and still acting the same way as he used to, but i still cannot judge him.

As far as the church camp dude goes, were in a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship including a great friendship, and we love each other. I was a little nervous because i wondered if things were moving a little too fast because we officially started talking about three weeks ago, but its been great ever since. Neither of us have a perfect christian life (NO ONE DOES) but were working step by step to being more like Christ each and everyday. I dont know if were going to get married because we havent been together for even a full week yet, but i do know that i wouldnt want it to just be an experience, but im searching for a long term relationship.

After getting hurt from my first boyfriend which is my ex, ive learned that you should never date just for an experience but it should be preperaration of something better in the future. Im only 20 years old and im in nursing school so marriage is way back in my brain, but to me dating is great so far, i pray that everything stays ok. :pray i know it gets rough sometimes, but im willing to work it out with my church camp buddy/boyfriend :yes .
handy said:
Godinme, you said regarding becoming the first guy's girlfriend "That was the worst thing I could have ever done because I never got to know him as a friend!"

I think this is the key. To get to know others as friends. It's not necessarily a bad thing to move into a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship quickly, as long as both of you realize that you need to build a friendship even as you are building a relationship. But, too often, especially today (although it was pretty much the same 30 years ago when I was college age) people feel pressured to move into an intimate relationship, including physical intimacy, even sex and then they do not follow the principles God laid out for us.

You know, I'm not necessarily convinced about the whole "God is supposed to write my love story" bit. I believe that we have free will on this earth in just about everything except our ability to be saved (only Christ can save us.) I don't think that God is up in heaven saying "Godinme can marry Joe and only Joe and nobody else but Joe and if she does marry someone other than Joe, she's out of My will."

In the Bible, we are given basic principles we must apply to our relationships. As godly women, we need to realize that we will be in submission to our husband, so we need to seek godly men, men who will be able to take on the spiritual reign of the household, who will be a good provider and a good father to our children. We do need to be sexually attracted to the man, because that will be an important part of our marriage, but we also need to remain sexually pure until marriage, so we need to seek out men who maintain their own sexual purity and don't put pressure on women to have sex outside of marriage. We need to seek out men that we can be in agreement with, or are willing to follow, so that we do not become tempted to try to rule over our husbands.

It would be impossible to learn whether or not a man is someone that we can submit to these principles under, unless we get to know him as a person and as a friend.

This is why friendship is really a good thing. By being friends with a guy and considering him as a friend, it becomes easier to get to know him and know what kind of guy he is while your emotions aren't completely engaged. However, as a woman, I also know how hard it is for the emotions to NOT become engaged when a guy is seeking you out. One of the things we women need to learn is how to master our emotions when it comes to guys and think with our heads, even when our hearts are doing back-flips.

Right now, you are considering two different men: your ex-boyfriend and the new guy. As a Christian woman, you want to consider which of these two men bolster your walk with God. Which of these two men would be the kind of man you can submit to? Which of these two men would be a good provider, a good father, a godly head of a household? Which of these two men are you the more attracted to?

It could very well be that neither guy is right for you at this point in time and you simply need to learn what it is about each one that isn't right, so that you know what to look for later. It could be that either man would make an excellent husband and you are simply not ready for marriage yet. Frankly, it doesn't sound as if you are really in love with either one.

This is why I think that it's best to jettison the idea of dating and boyfriend/girlfriend relationships completely and return to the idea of courting. Courting would mean to be just friends and hang out in group situations until there comes one that you truly believe you would be interested in marrying and he desires marriage with you. Then, have him get to know your family and your friends and you get to know him and his, all with the idea of marriage in mind. In courting situations, it's not just the man and woman (who are probably being clouded by emotion and physical tensions) making observations and learning about the other, but loved ones who have your best interests at heart also being part of things. It can make for a much stronger marriage.

But, don't let anyone dis marriage to you. Marriage is God's norm for mankind, it was God Who instituted marriage in the first place. When the disciples said that it was better not to marry, Jesus replied, “All cannot accept this saying, but only those to whom it has been given." This is found in Matthew 19:11. There is no spiritual superiority in not marrying, nor is there spiritual superiority in marrying. If you decide to remain single and chaste because you feel it is what God has called you to, then walk fulfilled in singleness. If you don't feel that God is calling you to be single forever, then by all means, seek a godly man to marry. God by no means gives all of us the ability to remain single.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back