Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Road Trip Stories....

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
What in the world did you just say? My goodness Jason, your in America now, speak English or we're gonna have to beat you with a rolling pin! :rollingpin

and... did you just call me a liberal?....:screwloose I think you better vent your garage a bit better next time you work on that import.. them fumes be getten to yer head :salute
there are three ways to move army equipment. by air or sea or train. the cheapest was to sea load them and then rail load them from ft.lewis, wa to ft.polk.

Not mine, but a friend's - (our family friend). Mine could come soon.

Dude fled home, and began an untimely journey across the city. He went for a long time and was sudden attracted by a known voice.

A woman that manages a small canteen has called, and dude follows the voice.

Woman: 'Come on in! You look so tired.'
They exchanged greetings and dude reluctantly went inside.

Woman: 'Get seated! Do not bother, we have some food for you. Eat, and come back to life...you can then continue with your journey.'

Dude was so pleased. He sat down relaxed and was waiting for the food.

Woman: 'I know how much you like rice. I should add some meat to it, shouldn't I?'

Dude nodded with contempt.

Woman: 'I should add more meat?'

Dude was Uncertain. Woman voluntarily added more fat meat to her friend.

Food served, dude polished off the food. He rubbed his stomach and thanked the woman.

Dude: 'O thank you very much.':)

Dude stood up to go and woman looked at him questioninly? :confused

woman: 'You are living?'
Dude: 'Yep - sure.'
woman: 'Fine! And your bill is...'

Dude nearly fainted. He was very lucky he had some money in his pocket. The woman was full of tricks. Did dude ask for some food? No!
That was the end of the journey. Dude went home feeling cheated and persecuted.

He came home and told us how a woman made his day so miserable. I remember the amusement on his that day :biggrin

Nice Ride :biggrin
image.php

Ok Jason, I know deep down your a southern commie :lol Admit it, you listen to NPR :biggrin

It's great to read other peoples road trip stories. I want to read more, so c'mon everybody and post some more :)

isreali saying or jewish one "keep ones friend close and enemies even closer" i have at one time listen to npr. and ironically the jewish lineage is probably communists as my family were from the ukraine and moved to odessa and came to canada(montreal) then to nyc then to savannah in the early 1900s. that is the cranmans and not the klines.

most of my family is pro obama.

I had a BLAST this weeekend, I ran up to Fontana Dam, NC and met with about 70 Crossfires (and at least two Mercedes). Fontana is the home of "the tail of the dragon", a part of US129 that, in 11 miles, has 318 curves in it!

It's a Mecca of sport bikers and Sports Cars drivers.

I had a tremendous time with good friends, some wonderful cars and ran the Dragon 11 times over the weekend. :thumbsup

Here is a video of a good friend who ran his Mercedes thru the Dragon early one morning, chasing an SRT 6 (Supercharged Chrysler Crossfire). WE've all seen videos of bikers running the curves at 60 mph, and up to 125 mph in places - but I've never seen ANY car do it like these guys. I'm not nearly as fast... but I will say that NO ONE ever has come up behind me on the Dragon except for bikers! (Well, not in my last two Dragons, anyway.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN5FnjPxVRw

Some of the cars got separated on I-65 on the way to the meet when a Vette challenge one of hte cars... the car he picked on is a HEAVILY modified Yellow Roadster - with a Supercharged V8 making well over 500 HP....

James was "just trying to keep up", but he did not keep up. Neither did the Vette!

View attachment 2124

I really enjoyed this view from the Cherahala Skyway...

View attachment 2125
Isn't my little car just adorable with THIS backdrop? We had fun the 20 miles up to this point... in some areas, the curves are not really very tight, and you can see for a long distance .... doing well over 80 at times, I fell way behind. But I and the lady behind me caught up when the pack got behind a truck pulling a big trailer at about 30 mph! ;)

The video in post 28 lasts 16 minutes. It amazes me that they are covering some eleven miles in that time. I THINK that is an average of 42 mph - which is absolutely amazing when you consider the road.... 318 curves, many of them "Switchbacks" where even these guys had to slow to about 20 mph.

Ya gotta watch the video, when they get behind a tourist, they are doing 30 to 35 mph... compare how fast the trees go by THEN to when they run away! I wonder, I have never thought till now to time myself going thru the Dragon. I know I am fast, fast enough I keep running up on someone - but not as fast as these guys.

Not yet, anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
More of my road trip later... this is not me, not by a long shot - but I ran with these two on Saturday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN5FnjPxVRw&feature=player_embedded

OK, I'm home now (spent almost two weeks at the town house) and am on a decent computer and was able to see this for the first time today.

ME WANT TO GO!!!!!!

That was an awesome ride...and I'm glad the guy didn't ruin the vid by playing rock music over it. Not that some Tom Petty would go good with the ride, but I liked hearing the engine note and wind.

Thanks for sharing. Now, onto your ride....

Checked out the rest of your pics and stories...awesome road trip! And you have a great car to take on it. Thanks for sharing!:thumbsup

Some of the cars got separated on I-65 on the way to the meet when a Vette challenge one of hte cars... the car he picked on is a HEAVILY modified Yellow Roadster - with a Supercharged V8 making well over 500 HP....

James was "just trying to keep up", but he did not keep up. Neither did the Vette!

View attachment 2422

I really enjoyed this view from the Cherahala Skyway...

View attachment 2423
Isn't my little car just adorable with THIS backdrop? We had fun the 20 miles up to this point... in some areas, the curves are not really very tight, and you can see for a long distance .... doing well over 80 at times, I fell way behind. But I and the lady behind me caught up when the pack got behind a truck pulling a big trailer at about 30 mph! ;)

Life doesn't begin until 140 :thud:

Wow, sounds like an awesome road trip! That's just cool!

I enjoyed the engine noises, too. I'm working on video of my next runs, probably at the Spring Dragon - but if not, I'll sure be at the Fall one! ;)

Ah, my other ride.... yes, do I have a thread on that here? Sure, I do... gotta go find that thread...

Anyway, my little Graphite "Dragon Slayer" ran the course 11 times in 2011 - all in three days! I will order pictures from one of the photographers along the curves later this week, when they are available. It was a great time...

And we had more to look at than cars......

DSCN4933.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The story of the Crossfire Dragon weekend isn't complete without this odd picture..

View attachment 2129

One of our drivers fueled his car, had grabbed the receipt from the pump and was distracted by another driver's question... after he spoke with her, he got into the car and drove off, but the nozzle was still in the filler neck - the hose separated from the pump at the connector!

The story does not end there - he did the same thing last year at the same station, he thinks it MIGHT have been the same pump.

Now last year, it took 45 minutes for all the paper work, and he had to let them charge his card $250 for the repair. THIS year, he went to the cashier and she told him, "Oh. Well, we'll take car of it." He told her of the procedure from last year - she called a manager, who said, "Tell him it's okay." After the third time of telling her he owed her $250, and her telling him, "We have no procedure to follow - just forget it" - he gave up and left!

Poor Franc will never live this one down. ;)

So I didn't get a vacation this summer on the count of me taking classes the entire summer. Well my parents wanted to fix that so we took a road trip.

We dropped my sister off at her diabetes camp and then went on up to New Hampshire. It was a LONG trip to our first hotel. Nice place and we had a good time. My request was to go the entire way on the back roads and we did just that. I love driving back roads. There are no cars in your way and the cops are few and far between :biggrin

I may not have a sports car like PizzaGuy but I was sure driving like the pick up truck was one! The roads are nice and twisty.

Day two my mom decided to appease me and we went to Mt Washington! OH BOY!

I am telling you right now I cannot remember the last time I had that much fun! I got to drive up that road and let me tell you I don't think I went the speed limit but maybe three times! My dad nearly puked and almost had a nervous breakdown a few dozen times. My mom just kept her eyes closed and I soaked up ever second of that amazing road. So much fun!!!

They told me to drive in low gear but I decided that rule was obviously made for people driving their inferior machines. We were in a Chevy Silverado that had a 6l and an off-road package and the tow package. My engine has two coolers and even the transmission has one! So screw low gear I was going all out baby! The truck never even got hot. We stopped to help a few inferior vehicles that were having cooling problems but then we'd be back off at break neck speeds.

I let my dad drive on the way down because we figured if he concentrated on driving than he wouldn't be able to pay attention to just how close we were to falling off the side of a mountain and tumbling a few thousand feet to our deaths!!!

After that I drove again and we headed to Vermont (land of the hippy pot smokers...:bigfrown) Vermont was alright nothing to write home about. We had fun though. This guy from New York thought he was cool and he passed me in a no passing area. Well my mom got annoyed and told me I should return the favor so we caught up to him and we gave him a real CT drive by (but without the guns we are so famous for :biggrin ).

Then we went home which was a long long long trip but it was worth it.

...I literally have at least one road trip for every year I have on this earth! Getting to our house in Maine every year is an ordeal in itself. Next time I gotta tell you about the time my uncle took us "Moose huntin'" in a town called T6-R7... :lol

More of my road trip later... this is not me, not by a long shot - but I ran with these two on Saturday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN5FnjPxVRw&feature=player_embedded
What I wouldn't give for a go at that road with a nice car (maybe a Porsche 944 or a R34?)! Of course I'd want the roads closed so I could use the entire corner and really get the apex nailed. I think some of those hairpins could be taken at upwards of 60 in the right car with the entire corner to play with. A few of them even looked banked enough to use some inertia to fly through them.

Back