Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Roman Catholic Church Catechism English Translation 1994

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Tell me where this analogy is in the CCC. This thread is about the CCC. I have it in front of me. Either it is in the CCC or not.

I say that this analogy you are suggesting is NOT in the CCC.

Prove otherwise if you can.

:-?

Gary said:
Ark of the Covenant analogy to Mary

Irenaeus

Roman Catholic apologists often claim that the ark of the covenant in the Old Testament is a type of Mary. They then use that typological speculation as an argument for doctrines such as the Immaculate Conception and the Assumption of Mary. But Irenaeus saw something else in the ark:

so is that ark declared a type of the body of Christ, which is both pure and immaculate. For as that ark was gilded with pure gold both within and without, so also is the body of Christ pure and resplendent, being adorned within by the Word, and shielded on the outside by the Spirit, in order that from both materials the splendour of the natures might be exhibited together." (Fragments from the Lost Writings of Irenaeus, 48)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Victorinus

Roman Catholics often speculate that the ark in Revelation 11:19 is referring to Mary, and that the passage is therefore referring to a bodily assumption of Mary. It can't be proven that the ark is Mary, and, even if the ark is identified as her, there's no way to determine whether it represents Mary's bodily presence in Heaven or just her soul. Victorinus, commenting on the passage, sees the ark as representing the blessings Jesus brought to mankind. He tells us that the temple is Jesus, meaning that the ark is within Jesus. Roman Catholics make the opposite argument, claiming that the ark, as Mary, carries Jesus.

'And the temple of God was opened which is in heaven.' The temple opened is a manifestation of our Lord. For the temple of God is the Son, as He Himself says: 'Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.' And when the Jews said, 'Forty and six years was this temple in building,' the evangelist says, 'He spake of the temple of His body.' 'And there was seen in His temple the ark of the Lord's testament.' The preaching of the Gospel and the forgiveness of sins, and all the gifts whatever that came with Him, he says, appeared therein." (Commentary on the Apocalypse of the Blessed John, 11:19)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hippolytus

Hippolytus also saw Jesus rather than Mary in the ark. He mentions Mary as he's describing Jesus as the ark, so it can't be argued that he wasn't thinking of Mary at the time:

"At that time, then, the Saviour appeared and showed His own body to the world, born of the Virgin, who was the 'ark overlaid with pure gold,' with the Word within and the Holy Spirit without; so that the truth is demonstrated, and the 'ark' made manifest....the Saviour appeared in the world, bearing the imperishable ark, His own body" (On Daniel, 2:6)

Thanks for bringing up Hippolatus he also says:

"Now the Lord was without sin, being in His human nature from incorruptible wood, that is, from the Virgin..." (Fragment of St. Hippolytus, quoted by Theodoret, Dialogue I, P. G. 10, 864-5).

This implies Mary as the Ark as well. That is what "incorruptible wood" is about. That is what the Ark was made of. This happens to be from a commentary on Rev 11. :lol:

Want more? What did Augustine say about the issue?

Oh yes, please. Give me more. More of your dichotomies.
There is a quote somewhere by Augustine that alludes to his relating the Ark of the Covenant to Mary. I believe it has to do with Psalm 132:8. I can't find it online, though I see quotes on websites indicating that Augustine associated Mary with the AOC. I but believe it is in a book I have at home.

What does the RCC's real Bible, the CCC, say about the Ark of the Covenant analogy to Mary?

:-? :-?

Why not quote the Catechism. You have it available. Do you claim it only says Mary or only says Christ is the AOC? Don't play silly games with me.

So you have answered my question. There is no parrellel you say to Mary and the Ark. And in the process you have raised red herrings as well with false dichotomies. Protestants love to think in dichotomies Gary. Tell me who is the light of the world?

John.8
[12] Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, "I am the light of the world; he who follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."

Oh, it is Christ, it can be noone else. But does Matthew contradict?

Matt.5
[14] "You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hid.

No it is simply a false dichotomy if one sees a contradiction.

Who is the foundation of the Church? We are clearly told it is Christ in 1 Cor 3:11. Oh, but wait, it is prophets and apostles and Christ is the cornerstone in Eph 2:20. My what will Gary do? The Bible contradicts.

No it is only Gary's poor logic. You really do need a course in logic Gary. That Augustine and others asserted that the Ark is a type of Christ in no way excludes it from being anyone else. You simply show your ameturish understanding of Catholic theology. Other Fathers did see Mary as the Ark.

*For example: St. Athanasius:

"O noble Virgin, truly you are greater than any other greatness. For who is your equal in greatness, O dwelling place of God the Word? To whom among all creatures shall I compare you, O Virgin? You are greater than them all O Covenant, clothed with purity instead of gold! You are the Ark in which is found the golden vessel containing the true manna, that is, the flesh in which divinity resides."

Gregory of Neo-Caesarea (3rd Century) quotes Psalm 132 as referring to Mary: "Arise O Lord to Thy resting place; Thou and the ark of Thy sanctification" (Psalm 132:8). In this regard, he said, "For the holy Virgin is in truth an ark, wrought with gold both within and without (Exodus 25:10-11, 37:1-2), that has received the whole treasury of the sanctuary" (Homily I on the Annunciation).

This in no way is contradictory to Augustines view that the Ark was a type of Christ. Nor is there any reason to believe that Gregory and Athanasius did not see the Ark as a type of Christ.

Excellent response, Thessalonian. It should be noted about Athanasius, who spoke eloquently and poetically about the Virgin, was THE defender of Trinitarian Orthodoxy in those darkest days of the Arian heresy. In other words, he cannot be explained away as some purveyor of the tradition of man. It can be fairly stated that, if not for Athanasius and the Cappodocian Fathers, Gregory, Gregory, and Basil- the Church would likely be Arian.

Athanasius was also the first one to create the complete list of NT scripture, all 27 books.

You raise an interesting point regarding these false dichotomies that bears further examination. Those that use them- and Gary is not alone in this error- are NOT dumb people- far from it. That they do not recognize their own false dichotomies is what I find striking.
James

Orthodox Christian said:
You raise an interesting point regarding these false dichotomies that bears further examination. Those that use them- and Gary is not alone in this error- are NOT dumb people- far from it. That they do not recognize their own false dichotomies is what I find striking.
James

It is the biggest mistake they make regarding scriptural exegesis and understanding of Catholic theology.

Peter cannot be the rock because Jesus it and so the gynastics begin to eisegete Peter out of the text in Matt 16:18.
We can't love Mary because it will take away from our love for Jesus.
Works can't be a part of salvation because faith is.

Catholicism is both/and, not either or.

Gary said:
Tell me where this analogy is in the CCC. This thread is about the CCC. I have it in front of me. Either it is in the CCC or not.

I say that this analogy you are suggesting is NOT in the CCC.

Prove otherwise if you can.

:-?

Whare are you asking? Is it mentioned in the CCC that Mary is the AOC. It most certainly is.

Full of grace, the Lord is with thee: These two phrases of the angel's greeting shed light on one another. Mary is full of grace because the Lord is with her. The grace with which she is filled is the presence of him who is the source of all grace. "Rejoice . . . O Daughter of Jerusalem . . . the Lord your God is in your midst." Mary, in whom the Lord himself has just made his dwelling, is the daughter of Zion in person, the ark of the covenant, the place where the glory of the Lord dwells. She is "the dwelling of God . . . with men." Full of grace, Mary is wholly given over to him who has come to dwell in her and whom she is about to give to the world.

Or are you saying that the scriptural foundation for it is not in the Catehchsim, which is a pointless arguement.
The Catechism is not an exegesis but the result of exegesis and sacred Oral Tradition and so it mostly only epresses the result of the exegesis. Interestingly enough however on feast days in which the Mass is celebrated, i.e. the Assumption or the Immaculate Conception, 2 Sam 6 and Luke 1 are the readings choosen by the Church for those days.

God bless

I will ignore both of the personal insults from you.... they do nothing for your case.

I will wait 'till you find the Ark of the Covenent reference in the CCC. I won't be holding my breath! Try 2058, 2130, 2578, 2594 and 2676

But back to Augustine...

Augustine

Is Psalm 132:8 referring to an assumption of Mary? Augustine says that the ark is the church, not Mary. He mentions the flesh of Christ as another possibility, but says nothing of a Marian interpretation, much less an assumption of Mary. Compare the comments of Pope Pius XII with those of Augustine:

"this privilege of the Virgin Mary's Assumption is in wonderful accord with those divine truths given us in Holy Scripture...Often there are theologians and preachers who, following in the footsteps of the holy Fathers, have been rather free in their use of events and expressions taken from Sacred Scripture to explain their belief in the Assumption [of Mary]. Thus, to mention only a few of the texts rather frequently cited in this fashion, some have employed the words of the psalmist: 'Arise, O Lord, into your resting place: you and the ark, which you have sanctified' [Psalm 132:8]; and have looked upon the Ark of the Covenant, built of incorruptible wood and placed in the Lord's temple, as a type of the most pure body of the Virgin Mary, preserved and exempt from all the corruption of the tomb and raised up to such glory in heaven." - Pope Pius XII (Munificentissimus Deus)

"'Arise, O Lord, into Thy resting place' (ver. 8). He saith unto the Lord sleeping, 'Arise.' Ye know already who slept, and who rose again. ...'Thou, and the ark of Thy sanctification:' that is, Arise, that the ark of Thy sanctification, which Thou hast sanctified, may arise also. He is our Head; His ark is His Church: He arose first, the Church will arise also. The body would not dare to promise itself resurrection, save the Head arose first. The Body of Christ, that was born of Mary, hath been understood by some to be the ark of sanctification; so that the words mean, Arise with Thy Body, that they who believe not may handle." - Augustine (Expositions on the Psalms, 132:8)

Notice that Augustine mentions Mary, saying that Christ's body was "born of Mary". Thus, it can't be argued that Augustine wasn't thinking of Mary at the time that he wrote. He was thinking of her, but he didn't view her as the ark. He didn't even mention a Marian interpretation as a secondary possibility. The only alternative he mentions to seeing the church as the ark is seeing Christ's flesh as the ark.

Reference: CBNRC

:) :)

Thessalonian said:
Solo said:
Gary said:
... as for the rest, please keep going. Please remember to quote Bible verses to support (1) to (6).
Solo whispers to Gary>>>>>Psst, Gary, they can't give you any scripture supporting the Mary dogma (1) through (6) of the RCC. It does not exist. 8-)

Your million dollar question smart guy who claims to be infallible about scripture is...drum roll....related to this verse.

45: Then he opened their minds to understand the scriptures,
46: and said to them, "Thus it is written, that the Christ should suffer and on the third day rise from the dead,

What verse is the phrase "on the third day rise from the dead" in the Old Testament? After all there were no NT scriptures that he could be speaking to the men on the road Emanaus. I need an explicit text from the Old Testament from you. Thanks.

Thanks.

Lets bring this question forward so that it is not lost for Solo. He after all has the Holy Spirit and the ability to interprut scripture infallibly and should be able to pick it out of the OT like flint. These two men along the rode had their eyes opened. They clearly saw the three days in the tomb and the resurrection in the Old Testament Solo, can you?

Blessings

Gary said:
I will ignore both of the personal insults from you.... they do nothing for your case.

Your offended because I say a protestant is an ameature Catholic theologian. So sorry.

I will wait 'till you find the Ark of the Covenent reference in the CCC. I won't be holding my breath!

It would matter little if it was or wasn't but it is.

But back to Augustine...

Augustine

Is Psalm 132:8 referring to an assumption of Mary? Augustine says that the ark is the church, not Mary.

You simply don't get it do you. That Augustine says the Ark is the Church or Christ does not exclude Mary. The words "not Mary" are yours, not his. You have proven nothing with your dichotomous thinking. Find me a father who says "the ark was not Mary". You cannot find one because they never said it. Mary is a type of the church by the way. Thus, it is not out of bounds to see the Ark as a type of Mary. And other fathers did.

Thessalonian said:
Find me a father who says "the ark was not Mary". You cannot find one because they never said it.
Find me a church father who says "the ark was not Muhammad". You cannot find one because they never said it. Does that then prove that Muhammad is the ark?

Gary said:
Muslims have the same problem as you. You will find the answer here:
http://answering-islam.org.uk/Responses ... rd_day.htm

Enjoy!

:) :)

I have no problem with Luke 24 at all, but your insult is noted. I was primarily checking to see if Solo was okay with allegory since he said we have not scriptural response. You yourself implied that we had to have a directly explicit text for your 6 doctines that you wanted support for. I was correct. You didn't really care about what direction I went in. You were simply waiting in the grass to stike at my heals.

Blessings

Gary said:
Thessalonian said:
Find me a father who says "the ark was not Mary". You cannot find one because they never said it.
Find me a church father who says "the ark was not Muhammad". You cannot find one because they never said it. Does that then prove that Muhammad is the ark?

This is stupid. First of all Church Fathers did relate Mary to the AOC. There is no indication that Augustine rejected these views though he was well aware of the writings of Athanasius. Second of all it is only out of blindness that you resist the clear parrellel. Thirdly Muhammad isn't even mentioned in the Bible. Your chiding only shows that your unable to maintain an arguement.

Thessalonian said:
You yourself implied that we had to have a directly explicit text for your 6 doctines that you wanted support for. I was correct. You didn't really care about what direction I went in. You were simply waiting in the grass to stike at my heals.

Again, assumptions. Rather, let us go back again to how the discussion started.

You claimed....

Thessalonian said:
You don't know half of what is in the Bible about Mary.

.... so I had a very simple request...

Gary said:
Maybe you could enlighten us...... show us the verses in the Bible which explain or show us examples of the following RCC dogmas

• (1) The Perpetual Virginity of Mary

(2) The Immaculate Conception (Mary born sinless)

(3) The Sinlessness of Mary (Mary remaining sinless)

(4) The Bodily Assumption of Mary (Mary bodily assumed into heaven)

(5) The Mediatorship of Mary (Mary called/titled "Mediatrix" and "Co-redemptrix")

(6) Praying to Mary
.... the easiest would be for you to quote Bible chapter/verse(s) for each of the above RCC dogmas.

Thanks!

:) :) :)

I would have thought that basic RCC dogma had Scriptural support. If that is not true, then please say so. That would be a good starting point. You can then move on to your so-called analogies and parallels. We all know your Luke 24:44-46 was a red herring. Rather stick to the issues.

I'll not cast pearls any longer. If anyone is sincerely interested in my use of the allegorical parrellel of Mary to the AOC and how it relates to the 6 doctrines they are free to PM me. The question about the three days in the grave and resurrection is no red herring at all. You don't even understand why I brought it up apparently.

Blessings

There are no "church fathers". The true church is built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets with Jesus Christ being the "chief cornerstone".

None of the apostles, prophets, or Jesus Christ Himself ever advocated looking to Mary for anything.

We are to look to Christ and Him alone...

Hebrews 12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

It doesn't say look to Mary it says look to Jesus... end of story!

bibleberean said:
None of the apostles, prophets, or Jesus Christ Himself ever advocated looking to Mary for anything.

What? She's not the virgin the Jew's should have looked to that would give birth to the messiah as prophesied in Is 7? You might want to clarify what you mean by look too because right now you sound like your denying the plain words of scripture.

You are right that she was the virgin that gave birth to the Messiah as foretold by the prophets.

Let me clarify...

She is not our saviour, refuge, or strong tower, redemptress, etc.

Bibleberean said:
There are no "church fathers". The true church is built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets with Jesus Christ being the "chief cornerstone".
Am I the only one who sees the contradiction within that sentence?

Never mind Paul's words about fathers over tutors.

And again I remind you what those without fathers are referred to as.

Back