Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Running

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

tjw

Any runners on this forum? I just started running (distance)... And it's a lot tougher than I thought!

I've officially retired from running. You must have missed my press conference. :lol

I've run for most of my life (I'm 43), and about 4 years ago, I ran my first marathon... and my last. It was like volunteering for a 4-hour surgical procedure for me. :gah I'm not built for it. Some people look like wafers blowing in the wind. I've run a number of 1/2 marathons, and those were good enough; a lot of 5k community runs.

So, since I announced my retirement from distance running, I walk daily on the treadmill or outside.

Passing the baton off to you. You take it from here! Run, tjw, run!!! :thumbsup

I've done my share of running and have never grown fond of it.

I get my cardio other ways, but still run from time to time.

Running... I am sorry, that is not in my vocabulary. Allow me to consult a dictionary on such foreign matters...

"Running: Verb. 1) A means of getting from point A to B without an engine or wheels. 2) A painful activity that kills the knees. 3) A very active form of suicide."

OK, now I get it!

Ya I do not run... It's against my belief system, "Thou shalt not over-exert thouest self" :screwloose
I walk. I like to walk, actually. Listen to music, have some bonding time with my dog, and keep my knees from complete destruction. Is it bad that when I run I feel like my knees are being hammered together with an impact drill?

I like walking long distances, and I guess that is like running, but in slow-mo.

It's good for you though, and I bet God will be pleased that you are trying to keep His temple in such tip-top shape!

tjw, if you get serious into running, do your research or ask here. Stoveboltz (Jeff) is also a runner and others too. Running can be terrific, but you can also run your body into disrepair.

Having had both of my ACL's reconstructed and countless scopes to cut away torn cartilage (I don't think I have any cartilage left in my knees), I still managed to complete a full marathon without much knee pain. Surprisingly, it was my ankles that were crushing. I've never had ankle issues! Marathoners talk about a "wall" that you hit in the last handful of miles. I hit that wall at around mile 14 :help By mile 22, I didn't want to hear a word from those nice people volunteering to cheer us on. I wanted to throw something at them! :mad

My problem was (STUPID!!!) I trained on the grass and on a treadmill and then ran 26 miles on pavement. :wall If you're not going to be running any races on pavement, stick to softer terrain. You're joints will thank you for that! If you are planning on entering a distance run, train on the same surface that you'll be running on.

I guess you didn't ask for advice, but I don't need to be asked to give my opinion. :lol

Mike said:
tjw, if you get serious into running, do your research or ask here. Stoveboltz (Jeff) is also a runner and others too. Running can be terrific, but you can also run your body into disrepair.

Having had both of my ACL's reconstructed and countless scopes to cut away torn cartilage (I don't think I have any cartilage left in my knees), I still managed to complete a full marathon without much knee pain. Surprisingly, it was my ankles that were crushing. I've never had ankle issues! Marathoners talk about a "wall" that you hit in the last handful of miles. I hit that wall at around mile 14 :help By mile 22, I didn't want to hear a word from those nice people volunteering to cheer us on. I wanted to throw something at them! :mad

My problem was (STUPID!!!) I trained on the grass and on a treadmill and then ran 26 miles on pavement. :wall If you're not going to be running any races on pavement, stick to softer terrain. You're joints will thank you for that! If you are planning on entering a distance run, train on the same surface that you'll be running on.

I guess you didn't ask for advice, but I don't need to be asked to give my opinion. :lol
Thanks for the advice!

I am training for a marathon, but the marathon that I am training for is over a year from now. And it is a good thing that it is so far in the future because I am a TERRIBLE runner right now... I need all the training I can get! I can barely complete a mile without doing some walking.

But that's also a major reason why I want to run a marathon... Because it's TOUGH and something I'm not good at.

Man, this site is awesome for walking and running.

http://www.walkjogrun.net/

You put in your neighbor hood and it shows you routes people have drawn near you. It gives you the length of each route and it gives you the ability to draw your own routes. It also lets you put in your weight and you average speed and from that it determines how many calories you will lose.

I have used it for walking. It was great in mapping out a 10 mile loop around my house. Plus I can get a change of scenery but using someone else's route.

tjw said:
But that's also a major reason why I want to run a marathon... Because it's TOUGH and something I'm not good at.

Right on! That was me. Six months before my marathon, I was running 13 mile races, and I paid for registration then. If you knew me, you'd know, if I pay $60 for something, I'm locking myself in. I'm not throwing that money away. But the biggest thing was that goal of actually going 26 and crossing that line. It's a great feeling to accomplish something that took a long time and didn't come easy.

Where are you planning on this marathon? Will it be cold? I have a lot of good advice for first-timers if it's going to be cold out, but I won't go into it. I hope you'll be around the boards when you do.

Mike said:
tjw said:

Right on! That was me. Six months before my marathon, I was running 13 mile races, and I paid for registration then. If you knew me, you'd know, if I pay $60 for something, I'm locking myself in. I'm not throwing that money away. But the biggest thing was that goal of actually going 26 and crossing that line. It's a great feeling to accomplish something that took a long time and didn't come easy.

Where are you planning on this marathon? Will it be cold? I have a lot of good advice for first-timers if it's going to be cold out, but I won't go into it. I hope you'll be around the boards when you do.
I'm plan on running the 2011 Chicago marathon. It's in October, so it's a long way away (could be cold, but it has been hot in past years). That will give me tons of time to train... Which I need! :)

Well, I too have had to quite running in my late 40's but I ran for 30 years....I was a distance runner as well...Now I'm running on an ellyptical machine just a few mile per night because it's difficult to run on hard surface with a bad back...Too many injuries combined with genetic predispositions.
Don't be alarmed if you have trouble running distance to begin...The first things you have to do is wait until your lungs catch up with the distance you want to run...Pains in the waist and chest are normal in the initial beginning until your body adapts to the distance and speed..But if you're enjoying it already, you really love it when the endorphins kick in later on on longer distances... It's equally important to eat properly and sleep right with the running/jogging..Best Wishes and enjoy..

Regards
Cajunboy

I'm plan on running the 2011 Chicago marathon. It's in October, so it's a long way away (could be cold, but it has been hot in past years). That will give me tons of time to train... Which I need! :)
I would love to run Chicago! Unfortunatly it looks like I"ll be running Detroit :sad

Anyway, yeah... I'm a runner :biggrin Today was an easy 6.. tomorrow's my speed workout. That means a total of 6 miles @ a 6 minute per mile pace. Of course, the 6 miles will be split up into half mile intervals. The first four miles are ok, it's the last two miles that really put ya to the test.

Anyway, I'm signed up for the Detroit race for the cure which is May 21. It's just a 5 k, but it's flat and I'm hoping to PR under 20 minutes this year. :tongue

I am also a runner.Running is a good exercise and best for weight lose.It is best source of fitness.You will face difficulty at the starting but after some times you will use to it and can easily do running without any problem so keep doing running.

I am also a runner.Running is a good exercise and best for weight lose.It is best source of fitness.You will face difficulty at the starting but after some times you will use to it and can easily do running without any problem so keep doing running.

:thumbsup Many people hate it as form of exercise as soon as they start, but what they don't realize is after the first few months it actually becomes easy and fun.

Now to just get over this cold before my race next week....

I ran back in high school(cross country), which was a short 3 years ago, but unfortunately a heart condition has sidelined me from actually running, especially long distances at once.

Besides this, I really like the sport itself, and if you have any questions, I'd love to give some intake....or at least try:lol

Good luck. :)

Sorry Mike...you can't stop running - no retirement!!!
You run all the time as a father/mother:
When you are late to sunday school class you run like crazy,
when your wife calls and says, 'we have a baby' you run like crazy to the hospital (inside the hospital),
When your toddler is approaching the fireplace you run to stop her,
When your neighbors are killing one another you run to make peace,
When your child or wife comes home you run to welcome them and offer the most astonishing embrace...
--
People don't stop running:lol :thumbsup

Running is the best, most efficient exercise you can do. Never stop running. My first marathon got the best of me (my hip really). It took me a year of alternating between periods of rest and low mileage to recover. I'm glad I didn't give up.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back