Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Salvation by Faith: Prerequisites for Grace?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
FIRST OFF: Obedience principles are just that; they are not Salvation principles. Only one place in scripture does it list the SPECIFIC precluding factors for Salvation:
Romans 10:9-10 New King James Version (NKJV)
9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
Anyone who would speak otherwise is basically calling Christ a liar and making the claim that His sacrifice was not good enough. WE are justified by FAITH alone; not works.

SECOND: We cannot afford to misappropriate scripture in matters of salvation folks. Let us not make things like obedience principles, sacraments, institutions and such; out to be factors that will preclude or negate salvation.
Romans 3:27-28 Living Bible (TLB)
27 Then what can we boast about doing to earn our salvation? Nothing at all. Why? Because our acquittal is not based on our good deeds; it is based on what Christ has done and our faith in him. 28 So it is that we are saved by faith in Christ and not by the good things we do.

Romans 6:14-17 Living Bible (TLB)
14 Sin need never again be your master, for now you are no longer tied to the law where sin enslaves you, but you are free under God’s favor and mercy.

15 Does this mean that now we can go ahead and sin and not worry about it? (For our salvation does not depend on keeping the law but on receiving God’s grace!) Of course not!

16 Don’t you realize that you can choose your own master? You can choose sin (with death) or else obedience (with acquittal). The one to whom you offer yourself—he will take you and be your master, and you will be his slave. 17 Thank God that though you once chose to be slaves of sin, now you have obeyed with all your heart the teaching to which God has committed you.

FINALLY: While obedience to the Law is not required to receive or keep salvation, we have a duty as Christians to reflect Christ. What did Christ do? He was obedient to the point of death. Our desire should be to daily obey the things we are commanded for several reasons. 1). To promote spiritual growth/health. 2). To invoke greater providence/blessing of God, (favor.) 3). To reflect a proper image of what a believer should aspire to in character, action, speech and behavior. 5). Because we are told to; obedience has it's own merit in and of itself. 6) Responsibility/accountability. 7). So that we do not place occasion to stumble in the path of others.
WE must realize that the entire purpose of Christ was to deliver mankind from the impossible task of attaining righteousness by way of perfect adherence to the Law. WE are now under the law of grace, by way of faith in Christ; so we cannot regress into the Pharisaic ideology and approach that burdened believers under a soul crushing weight of legalism they could not bear up under. Let us strive toward perfection, but expect only a grace given redemption. Let us yearn to obey, and to redirect others the same way; but in the end let us always err on the side of love, mercy, peace and grace. Otherwise we will have a very dicey conversation with Our Lord when we get up to the throne-room; explaining why we happily accepted His sacrifice and grace..yet imposed upon others legalism and condemnation. Personally I think I will simply avoid this possibility entirely if I can manage it! LOL

Anyone who would speak otherwise is basically calling Christ a liar and making the claim that His sacrifice was not good enough. WE are justified by FAITH alone; not works.
So James are you saying that James was a liar?
Jas 2:24 (RSV) You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone.
Jas 2:24 (ESV) You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone.
Jas 2:24 (HCSV) You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone.
Jas 2:24 (NASB) You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone.
Jas 2:24 (NET) You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone.

Was Jesus also a liar?
John 5:28-29 (NKJV)… the hour is coming in which all who are in the graves will hear His voice and come forth
—those who have done good, to the resurrection of life,
and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation.

Also see Mathew 25:31-46 where Jesus said He will judge everyone according to what they did or did not do.

And. according to your estimation, was Paul a liar too?
Ro 6:2-10 (NKJV) (God) will render to each one according to his deeds;
eternal life to those who by patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortality;
but to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness—indignation and wrath, tribulation and anguish, on every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek;
but glory, honor, and peace to everyone who works what is good, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

Or is it remotely possible that you overlooked something?
Hmm?

Oh, and, just to let you know, The Living Bible is a paraphrase, not a translation. It should NEVER be used as a reference text. It was created only to be easier to read for those whose reading skills are a little bit sketchy.

iakov the fool

Ephesians 2:5 states the timing of Regeneration: 5 even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved—

When you were dead in your sins and trespasses. By Grace you have been saved, you were made alive. Furthermore, most confusion that I observe by those that reject regeneration preceding faith comes from the lack of knowledge about Regeneration. Not to mention there is the hidden self idolatry that there is to contend with, and the nature of the unregenerate man.

God bless,
William

So James are you saying that James was a liar?
Jas 2:24 (RSV) You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone.
Jas 2:24 (ESV) You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone.
Jas 2:24 (HCSV) You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone.
Jas 2:24 (NASB) You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone.
Jas 2:24 (NET) You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone.

JIM, brother you are taking these verses entirely out of context. The principle here is that if a person's faith is genuine it will be followed by works. It does not present the ideology that the works themselves are justification. Justification is by faith; if the faith is sincere it will be followed by acts. One cannot simply take a single verse., bend it to their agenda and present it out of context as unmitigated truth...LOL!
Was Jesus also a liar?

John 5:28-29 (NKJV)… the hour is coming in which all who are in the graves will hear His voice and come forth
—those who have done good, to the resurrection of life,
and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation.

This also is being taken out of context. Did Christ not ask, "Why do you call me 'good,' when there is no one 'good,' but God?" Again brother, if you stay in-context you will see that the measure by which one is "good," is through grace...by FAITH IN CHRIST...not by works-based justification. You demean and belittle Jesus by devaluing His blood's value and His own assertions that man is justified by faith...not works. Again...using a single verse..out of context and misappropriated is not a way to legitimately present the ideology as truth.

And. according to your estimation, was Paul a liar too?
Ro 6:2-10 (NKJV) (God) will render to each one according to his deeds;
eternal life to those who by patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortality;
but to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness—indignation and wrath, tribulation and anguish, on every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek;
but glory, honor, and peace to everyone who works what is good, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

A third time...completely missed the principle and context here. The idea here is that one who is sincere and authentic in their salvation will be given to acts of obedience and "righteous works," it illustrates how we can use the prevalence of fruitful acts to discern the legitimacy of a person's faith. Nowhere does it condone or endorse the ideology that works justify a man. What does Romans 10:9 & 10 state as the ONLY requirements for salvation? confess with your mouth and believe in your heart...nothing at all about works getting one there. Did Jesus not rebuke the Pharisees and spiritual leaders consistently for imposing legalism and tradition-works based justification over grace, mercy and love? Brother, you have the elements right..but your perspective is backwards..it is the faith which brings about the justification which results in works which reflect sincerity of faith. It is not the works which bring about justification which bring about faith...LOL!

Or is it remotely possible that you overlooked something?
Hmm?

Keep in mind:
Hebrews 5:11-14(TLB)
11 There is much more I would like to say along these lines, but you don’t seem to listen, so it’s hard to make you understand. 12-13 You have been Christians a long time now, and you ought to be teaching others, but instead you have dropped back to the place where you need someone to teach you all over again the very first principles in God’s Word. You are like babies who can drink only milk, not old enough for solid food. And when a person is still living on milk it shows he isn’t very far along in the Christian life, and doesn’t know much about the difference between right and wrong. He is still a baby Christian! 14 You will never be able to eat solid spiritual food and understand the deeper things of God’s Word until you become better Christians and learn right from wrong by practicing doing right.
Hebrews 5:11-14(NIV) 11 We have much to say about this, but it is hard to make it clear to you because you no longer try to understand. 12 In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God’s word all over again. You need milk, not solid food! 13 Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness. 14 But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.

1) If your basis continues to ignore the critical foundation of Christ and the FACT that we are justified by faith not works; then anything you place on that foundation becomes invalid brother. Without this critical cornerstone, all other items are vain and useless fodder with no power or basis in truth; this was specifically why Paul was redirecting similarly-minded leaders back to the root of our faith.
2) TLB may be worded differently, but the elements and principles remain the same. I find it tragic that you would rebel so thoroughly against truth using misappropriated and misinterpreted scripture out of context; completely disregarding Christ and what He accomplished on the cross. For that is exactly what one does when they invalidate justification by faith in Jesus and re-institute works-based salvation and justification. I suppose next the NIV will be accused of inferiority and deception; as well as any translation which does not perpetuate the support of a works-based justification...however, none of the translations support it. They all unanimously support faith-based justification.
3) I would caution you brother. Take a close look at your heart and your intention. For it is glaringly apparent your intention is to promote disunity, contention, strife, and misconception here. Rather than take the Word of God and distort it to promote your agenda, perhaps you would do well to consider the proper context, the critical foundational principles, and apply them in truth. I do not judge nor do I condemn you for these things; but I cannot in good conscience sit back and ignore one so frivolously spitting in the face of Jesus and devaluing what He did on the cross; nor can I be content to allow a person to misrepresent God or His Word in a manner that leads to deception.

We are told to study to show ourselves approved unto God; a workman who needs not be ashamed, RIGHTLY DIVIDING THE WORD OF TRUTH. You may benefit from meditating on this last part and applying it properly

Ephesians 2:5 states the timing of Regeneration: 5 even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved—

When you were dead in your sins and trespasses. By Grace you have been saved, you were made alive. Furthermore, most confusion that I observe by those that reject regeneration preceding faith comes from the lack of knowledge about Regeneration. Not to mention there is the hidden self idolatry that there is to contend with, and the nature of the unregenerate man.

God bless,
William
well said

I must also in good conscience offer apology JIM. I have to admit that I did get overly passionate and come off way too heavy-handed in my reply. I do not repent of my basis; but I do repent of my harsh and heavy approach. I should not have replied with such emotion and present things in the manner I did. I must listen to my own advice as i often say: "Being on the side of right does not necessarily mean that in our approach we are right." May the Lord forgive my weakness and failure to employ a more patient and disciplined approach

I must also in good conscience offer apology JIM. I have to admit that I did get overly passionate and come off way too heavy-handed in my reply. I do not repent of my basis; but I do repent of my harsh and heavy approach. I should not have replied with such emotion and present things in the manner I did. I must listen to my own advice as i often say: "Being on the side of right does not necessarily mean that in our approach we are right." May the Lord forgive my weakness and failure to employ a more patient and disciplined approach

:) Your words are a shining example, however, some people and approaches bring out the worst in us. By your example, I confess that too, at times my approach is overly harsh, especially in cases when I am certain others are being misguided.

Sometimes, I'd love to see another persons physical expression or body language, because if some of the comments were said in such a questionable way in person... . well, I have a hard time believing that anyone would say some of these things that are said in a bible study while in person.

God bless,
William

Agreed. I find a great kinship with Peter. His heart was right, but he often allowed passion to drive him a bit too far and frequently fell off course in his fervor. I did not intend to be so dramatic in my reply above..but I felt a tremendous weight of grief from the Spirit in the contention and misconception presented...foolishly allowing emotion and flesh to dictate how i presented rebuttal. There is no excuse for it mind you; it is simple truth that I must be accountable to and be more conscious of. Perhaps next time I will step away, be sure what i have to contribute is directed in the proper Spirit. (Though to be fair, I do also like Peter...let passion get a hold of me in bible study and church setting at times...LOL. I have no end to boldness, but i must find a balance between boldness and benefit; as Paul confronted the church at Corinth in their overzealous nature which caused offense.)

I'm going to ask that you all stop accusing each other of demeaning Christ, calling Christ a liar, calling James a liar, etc. We may have our differences of interpretation or understanding since we are human and that is what we strive to correct. None of us is above humanity.

WIP well said, and I appreciate your redirection...yet at what point does one allow another believer to completely disregard the blood of Jesus and the grace bought with His life? It is one thing to take liberty and accuse others of "calling James and Jesus a liar," when none of that was stated or intended...however, to disregard the principle of grace...bought by the blood of Jesus, and re-institute works-based justification, is a directly contrary ideology to the entire message and purpose of Christ. Are we not to confront the lie with truth? Are we to merely allow, promote or endorse such behavior? This is literally, by its very nature demeaning to the message, purpose, and person of Christ. What else would you call it when a person would present the idea that Jesus blood, the grace of God, and the very Word itself are not sufficient; but must be precluded by a series of works? I agree with your intention and general context here WIP, but I cannot in good conscience simply be "OK" with behavior that reflects fruit which compromises and devalues the blood of Christ to the point that it does not grant that which scripture clearly states it does grant. Opinion is one thing...deception and misappropriation of the person and cause of Christ is another thing entirely.

JIM, brother you are taking these verses entirely out of context.
The context of James 2 is that faith without works is dead and useless. It will not save you.
This also is being taken out of context. Did Christ not ask, "Why do you call me 'good,' when there is no one 'good,' but God?"
That question is not even found in the Gospel of John.
It appears you have no idea what the word "context" means.

Oh! Goody! Another "proof text" lifted out of a passage to give the appearance of support for your view.
Why do do that? Do you think each verse was a self sustaining unit? Are you not aware that the verse numbers are NOT scripture and were inserted in the 1500s to aide in finding passages?
And why not continue reading that passage at least through verse 10 which says:
For we are His workmanship,
created in Christ Jesus for good works,
which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.

Do you think maybe that if you were created in Christ Jesus for good works for the purpose that you should actually do those works that may you aught to do what God specifically prepared beforehand that you do?
Do you have enough faith to OBEY God's will for you?

1) I quoted your post Brother, which credited that verse as being out of John's gospel..LOL! If it is indeed not there than you would do well not to place it as reference if that is truly the case..nowhere did I assert it to be found there. Indeed Christ asked this question which I referenced from Mark 10:18 and also in Luke 18:19. Please cease twisting facts to promote your deception.
2) True, the verse in James is indeed in James...but what it states and the context it is delivered in are two different items entirely. If you actually read the entire passage it states:
James 2:14-17(NIV)
Faith and Deeds
14 What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? 15 Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food.16 If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? 17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.
James 2:14-17(NASB)
Faith and Works
14 What use is it, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but he has no works? Can [a]that faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is without clothing and in need of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and be filled,” and yet you do not give them what is necessary for their body, what use is that? 17 Even so faith, if it has no works, is [c]dead, being by itself.

Context is critical man. Words are good at face value, but unless one grasps the fundamental aspects that are critical to the verses meaning and application then blindly quoting it does no good. Again; note that 'faith' without works is dead; it does not say, 'salvation without works is dead.' The concept here is that faith is illustrated as genuine by the presence of works; it does not declare that salvation is by works. Here are SEVERAL verses used in proper context to rebut your single verse misappropriated:

1. Rom. 3:28-30, "For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from works of the Law. 29 Or is God the God of Jews only? Is He not the God of Gentiles also? Yes, of Gentiles also, 30 since indeed God who will justify the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through faith is one."
  2. Rom. 4:5, "But to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is reckoned as righteousness,"
  3. Rom. 5:1, "therefore having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ;"
  4. Rom. 9:30, "What shall we say then? That Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness,attained righteousness, even the righteousness which is by faith;"
  5. Rom. 11:6, "But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works, otherwise grace is no longer grace."
  6. Gal. 2:16, "nevertheless knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the Law but through faith in Christ Jesus, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we may be justified by faith in Christ, and not by the works of the Law; since by the works of the Law shall no flesh be justified."
  7. Gal. 2:21, I do not nullify the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the Law, then Christ died needlessly."
  8. Gal. 3:5-6, "Does He then, who provides you with the Spirit and works miracles among you, do it by the works of the Law, or by hearing with faith? 6 Even so Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness."
  9. Eph. 2:8-9, "For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. 9Not by works, lest any man should boast."
  10. Phil. 3:9, "and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith."

Brother, I am sure you mean well; but you are simply misappropriating the Word of God here. Scripture is decisively clear on this matter; it is by faith alone we are justified. James' epistle was illustrating how one's faith is revealed to be genuine and sincere through works; not that salvation is attained by them. if one's salvation and faith are genuine, they WILL want to be obedient, they will want to have works; but not for the sake of the works themselves...rather for the sake of those who benefit from the works. That is service, that is ministry. In James' epistle, those verses were being offered as a rebuke for the believers who took the principles above out of context...thinking that after salvation they could just sit back, do nothing and reap the benefits. True they would not lose salvation, but they ould be being disobedient to the Word of God and character of Christ; who came not to be served but to serve.
Jim I admire your passion; I admire your courage and boldness; but at some point you must for your own sake realize the truth of these matters; otherwise you will only continue on blindly stumbling over this obstacle.

Also I would add a quote from my original post to begin with:
Our desire should be to daily obey the things we are commanded for several reasons. 1). To promote spiritual growth/health. 2). To invoke greater providence/blessing of God, (favor.) 3). To reflect a proper image of what a believer should aspire to in character, action, speech and behavior. 5). Because we are told to; obedience has it's own merit in and of itself. 6) Responsibility/accountability. 7). So that we do not place occasion to stumble in the path of others.
WE must realize that the entire purpose of Christ was to deliver mankind from the impossible task of attaining righteousness by way of perfect adherence to the Law. WE are now under the law of grace, by way of faith in Christ; so we cannot regress into the Pharisaic ideology and approach that burdened believers under a soul crushing weight of legalism they could not bear up under. Let us strive toward perfection, but expect only a grace given redemption. Let us yearn to obey, and to redirect others the same way; but in the end let us always err on the side of love, mercy, peace and grace.

This clearly exhorts the benefits and command to be obedient, and promotes the idea of works as justifying our faith though not salvation. I do not discount works; I merely assert that according to the Word of God, according to Christ's words, and according to Christ's finished work; they are not prerequisites to salvation. Please keep these things in mind also, rather than focus on single items taken out of context

1) I quoted your post Brother, which credited that verse as being out of John's gospel..LOL! If it is indeed not there than you would do well not to place it as reference if that is truly the case..nowhere did I assert it to be found there.
You said: "This also is being taken out of context. Did Christ not ask, "Why do you call me 'good,' when there is no one 'good,' but God?"
To which I responded: "That question is not even found in the Gospel of John."
I gave you the words of Jesus reported in the Gospel of John.
You said it was "out of context" with word that are not found in the Gospel of John.
I conclude, therefore, that you have a faulty conception of the meaning of the word context.
Since you insist on misusing the concept, you render your comments illogical.
We cannot have a conversation if you insist on being illogical.
Meyanhamnida! (Sorry 'bout dat) :shrug

iakov the fool

In James' epistle, those verses were being offered as a rebuke for the believers who took the principles above out of context...thinking that after salvation they could just sit back, do nothing and reap the benefits.
Absolutely. Totally agree.
True they would not lose salvation,...
No. The lack of works would be good evidence that they didn't HAVE salvation.

iakov the fool

You said: "This also is being taken out of context. Did Christ not ask, "Why do you call me 'good,' when there is no one 'good,' but God?"
To which I responded: "That question is not even found in the Gospel of John."
I gave you the words of Jesus reported in the Gospel of John.
You said it was "out of context" with word that are not found in the Gospel of John.

I will concede that in light of how this was presented, it does give room to misinterpret what I was stating. I was in fact, making two separate case points. 1) That your verse in John was not being taken in context. 2) That I was using Christ's words out of another gospel to illustrate the idea that if Christ refused to accept the term "good," even though He was Lord...then we are far less worthy of being deemed, "good" by our works. That being said, I concede that my argument here was not clearly presented and easily misconstrued.

I conclude, therefore, that you have a faulty conception of the meaning of the word context.
Since you insist on misusing the concept, you render your comments illogical.
We cannot have a conversation if you insist on being illogical.

I would point out that my response has no bearing on your verse being used out of context..that exists with or without any contribution by myself. The prevalent and repeated issue I see here is that you do appear to be twisting and distorting both our words and scriptures to contain implications and concepts that are not being stated. One can take the truth, refuse to accept it, deny it, reject it or twist it; but it will nonetheless remain truth.

No. The lack of works would be good evidence that they didn't HAVE salvation.

Consider the parable of the Pharisee and the tax collector in Luke 18:9-14. The Pharisee had all the works; while the tax collector had none; yet Jesus himself declared that it was the tax collector, not the Pharisee who was justified. I am curious how you can continue to latch onto the one scripture for works-based salvation yet ignore the 10-12 verses that clearly state otherwise. Some even word-for-word state that works have no bearing on salvation or our faith being justified. (EPH 2:8/9, GAL 2:16, Rom.3:28-30,4:5,11:6 among others.)

i will concede that a lack of works can potentially be one sign that a believer does not have authentic faith or salvation; but scripture is clear repeatedly that salvation is by faith, apart from works. Just because it can be one element to consider; does not make it an "across the board" measure that accurately reflects the truth.

In the end, it would appear that we are not going to come to agreement regarding this matter; so can we at least agree on a few items?
1) Can we agree to disagree and simply let this matter go so we can promote unity as opposed to contention and discord?
2) Can we agree to keep our differing opinions from compromising the Spirit of this original post; which is to redirect folks to the blood of Jesus and the matter of salvation, regardless if it be by works or faith?
3) Can we agree to forgive each other for both equally contributing to contention and perhaps letting passion discolor our rebuttals to some extent?

It was not my will to cause strife or to create a rift; but to institute healing and hope in the place of burden and condemnation. I apologize for the part I have played in this, and admit that I need to work on both my approach and presentation.

Silly argument, this one. Romans 10:9&10 does clearly explain the path to salvation and if we remember what I call the Prime Directive, it becomes simple and clear that James was explaining fundamentals for the command to judge people by their works. Simply put, if a man is saved, his or her salvation will produce good works.

All the trouble begins when we forget what we learn in John 1:1-5, and do not apply it to the scriptures, If applied to the book it is written in, the Bile, then every word of the Word is the writing of Jesus, given for our benefit. Thus comes the Prime Directive; No scripture, collection of scripture, nor can any passage of scripture ever be fully or completely understood without the light of all other scripture shining on it.

I was using Christ's words out of another gospel to illustrate the idea that if Christ refused to accept the term "good," even though He was Lord...then we are far less worthy of being deemed, "good" by our works. That being said, I concede that my argument here was not clearly presented and easily misconstrued.
Scriptural succotash is often a source of confusion.
I would point out that my response has no bearing on your verse being used out of context.
I didn't take it out of context. The context is Jesus' authority to judge mankind.

Jhn 5:22-29 “For the Father judges no one, but has committed all judgment to the Son, that all should honor the Son just as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent Him. Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life. Most assuredly, I say to you, the hour is coming, and now is, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God; and those who hear will live. For as the Father has life in Himself, so He has granted the Son to have life in Himself, and has given Him authority to execute judgment also, because He is the Son of Man.
Do not marvel at this; for the hour is coming in which all who are in the graves will hear His voice and come forth—those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation."

Context:
noun
1. the parts of a written or spoken statement that precede or follow a specific word or passage, usually influencing its meaning or effect:

2. the set of circumstances or facts that surround a particular event, situation, etc.

I am sorry brother but I have no desire to continue ongoing contention over these matters. I praise God for your courage, boldness and faith even if I do not agree with the basis of your argument.

Back