Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Satan Is The Wrath Of God

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Now the serpent was the most cunning of all the wild animals that the Lord God had made. He said to the woman, ...

Evidently, the serpent was (past tense):
1. Made by God (not an attribute of God)
2. Cunning, even prior to saying anything to the woman,

If Satan is an Angel, why does scripture say that the serpent was a created animal?

Technically, it doesn’t. Many translations insert the word “animal” in that verse.

Now the serpent was more crafty than any other [wild animal] which Yahweh God had made. He said to the woman, “Did God indeed say, ‘You shall not eat from any tree in the garden’?”

That’s one of the reasons I like reading/studying using a literal translation that indicates words that have been added to the Text for grammatical reasons. I like to ‘read’ it both ways. With/without the italicized/bracketed words. Often times it actually makes better sense to me without the additions, or at least the same.

As in this example:

The serpent was more crafty than any other. Period!

Technically, it doesn’t. Many translations insert the word “animal” in that verse.

Now the serpent was more crafty than any other [wild animal] which Yahweh God had made. He said to the woman, “Did God indeed say, ‘You shall not eat from any tree in the garden’?”

That’s one of the reasons I like reading/studying using a literal translation that indicates words that have been added to the Text for grammatical reasons. I like to ‘read’ it both ways. With/without the italicized/bracketed words. Often times it actually makes better sense to me without the additions, or at least the same.

As in this example:

This is how the Jews translate that verse.

1Now the serpent was cunning, more than all the beasts of the field that the Lord God had made, and it said to the woman, "Did God indeed say, 'You shall not eat of any of the trees of the garden?'"

https://www.chabad.org/library/bible_cdo/aid/8167/jewish/Chapter-3.htm

I like that rendering and goes along with your post above which actually resolves many unnessasary questions, yet allows for others.

I like that rendering
I agree somewhat, except it’s still an insertion of a particular “kind” of living creature (a beast of the field versus a wild animal). Which kind-of proves my point.

Anyway, As I read through Gen 1-3 again considering this topic I noticed a few things:

For example:

And God said, “Let the earth bring forth living creatures according to their kind: cattle and moving things, and wild animals according to their kind.” And it was so. So God made wild animals according to their kind and the cattle according to their kind, and every creeping thing of the earth according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.
Genesis 1:24-25 - https://www.biblegateway.com/passage?search=Genesis 1:24-25&version=LEB

1. There are three different ‘kinds’ of living creatures listed (and no, I’m not talking taxonomy or genetic differences, because I doubt that’s what difference Moses meant for his audience). 1) cattle 2) moving/creeping things and 3) wild animals.

So when you get to Chapter 3, I guess the different translators just picked one of the three ‘living creatures’. Why???

Technically, it just says the serpent was a living creature (https://biblehub.com/hebrew/2421.htm)
and it spoke to Eve and it was more crafty/cunning than any other! I’m not sure why it’s thought necessary to identify it’s kind. Heck, maybe this creature was a fourth or fifth kind. IDK. The word for “field” or “wild” or “animal” isn’t in the Text itself.

Just interesting I thought.

If Satan is an Angel, why does scripture say that the serpent was a created animal?

Is it then possible that Satan was orchestrating this from above? Is it possible Satan was whispering in both the ear of Eve and the serpent? Is it possible that Satan is represented as a serpent as is depicted in so many Ancient Near Eastern texts where serpents and dragons are viewed as Satan?

Just some random thoughts that I ponder and for those who dont see thiscthecway i do, I'm certainly not digging in my heels because honestly, I enjoy pondering these rabbit holes.
any thing is possible the Bible does say he is a fallen angel . i dont think we really know %100 of his original being.. main thing is look at the damage he is causing watch the news . look at the local church

3 Now the serpent was the most cunning of all the wild animals that the Lord God had made. He said to the woman, “Did God really say, ‘You can’t eat from any tree in the garden’?”

2 The woman said to the serpent, “We may eat the fruit from the trees in the garden. 3 But about the fruit of the tree in the middle of the garden, God said, ‘You must not eat it or touch it, or you will die.’”

4 “No! You will not die,” the serpent said to the woman. 5 “In fact, God knows that when[a] you eat it your eyes will be opened and you will be like God,[b] knowing good and evil.”

deception and it still lives today

I have seen people assert that the serpent was truthful in that statement. Even Christians!

The truth is, A&E were already like God.

I agree somewhat, except it’s still an insertion of a particular “kind” of living creature (a beast of the field versus a wild animal). Which kind-of proves my point.

Anyway, As I read through Gen 1-3 again considering this topic I noticed a few things:

For example:

And God said, “Let the earth bring forth living creatures according to their kind: cattle and moving things, and wild animals according to their kind.” And it was so. So God made wild animals according to their kind and the cattle according to their kind, and every creeping thing of the earth according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.
Genesis 1:24-25 - https://www.biblegateway.com/passage?search=Genesis 1:24-25&version=LEB

1. There are three different ‘kinds’ of living creatures listed (and no, I’m not talking taxonomy or genetic differences, because I doubt that’s what difference Moses meant for his audience). 1) cattle 2) moving/creeping things and 3) wild animals.

So when you get to Chapter 3, I guess the different translators just picked one of the three ‘living creatures’. Why???

Technically, it just says the serpent was a living creature (https://biblehub.com/hebrew/2421.htm)
and it spoke to Eve and it was more crafty/cunning than any other! I’m not sure why it’s thought necessary to identify it’s kind. Heck, maybe this creature was a fourth or fifth kind. IDK. The word for “field” or “wild” or “animal” isn’t in the Text itself.

Another interesting point: the word we have translated as crafty / cunning: does it yield any insight? How does it compare to the name Jacob?

Another interesting point: the word we have translated as crafty / cunning: does it yield any insight? How does it compare to the name Jacob?
IDK about the name Jacob, but it does relate to Abraham’s original name (Abram=exalted father) before God changed it.

For example:

Wow, I never caught the 3 catagories before. That is kinda cool.

The Jews pick up on these differences and with their understanding of the language, they pick up on some nuances that the English language simply doesnt have.

You perked my curiosity. :)

I have not read anything that connects them. First place to start would be in the original Hebrew letters for each word. Again, each letter represents an idea in ancient Hebrew thought

I never caught the 3 catagories before.
Me either, tell today. As a result participation here. Thanks for what you do here, BTW!

p.s. if you continue on reading/studying it’s pretty clear way there’s categories given. Food for thought, anyway (pun intended).

Last edited:
any thing is possible the Bible does say he is a fallen angel . i dont think we really know %100 of his original being.. main thing is look at the damage he is causing watch the news . look at the local church

The theology I ascribe to does not fault Satan for the troubles of this world. His job I'd to bring our sins to the heavenly tribunal and prosecute us.

By way of example, do we blame God when bad things happen in our lives? Do we blame Satan? Or how about ourselves?

If somebody you love gets killed by a drunk driver, is it Gods fault for not protecting your loved one?
Is it Satans fault for tempting the alcoholic?
Or is it the fault of the drunk driver for doing something that he knew could kill somebody else, or himself... out of context, James says that some sins lead to death... and I think it applies to some alcoholics and addicts.

In the Bible, there is this idea of light and darkness. In this metaphor, darkness is the absence of light. We Christian's are called into that light and we are to shine that lite into dark places. In short, what we do, or fail to do is very important. So instead of complaining how dark the darkness is, we could be asking why our light isnt shining as bright as it could. But my fear is that men love darkness.

Me either, tell today. As a result participation here. Thanks for what you do here, BTW!

p.s. if you continue on reading/studying it’s pretty clear way there’s categories given. Food for thought, anyway (pun intended).
Ehhh, thanks for participating. And thanks for putting that bug in my mind... those things I put in my back pocket until God reveals something to me, but generally through another like yourself.

Serpents in the ANE and especially Egypt we're a symbol or type used to denote wisdom. Kinda like the owl is used today.
Yes, depending on what ANE location you were at would depict the use of the word. For instance, as you noted the serpent in Egypt carried it's own meaning. So, when the staff of Moses turned into a serpent, it carried the desired message to Pharoah. In a similar way, when the Israelites were sick in the wilderness, they had to look up to the cast serpent which saved them. Jesus uses this same language.

On the other side of the ANE, the serpent carried the idea of all the bad in the world. Characters such as the Laviathan, dragons and Tiamate who ruled the primordial seas and were depicted by images of Demons among other dark figures.

It is the later that I believe relates to the creation account which as Ramban notes, is spelt differently.

As in this example:

The Jerusalem Bible uses the word subtle and wild beast that Yahweh God had made. When you go down to vs. 3 instead of lest ye die it says under pain of death. In vs. instead of Eve saying The serpent beguiled me it says The serpent tempted me. Now look what God says to this serpent in vs. 14 as this is how it is written in the Jerusalem Bible: You shall crawl on your belly and eat dust. Does this mean this serpent had legs before it tempted Eve?

Some things are conundrums that we can only speculate the meaning, but the key point we know that the serpent tempted Eve just as the devil tempted Jesus in Matthew 4:1-11. We know God works through us, but Satan can also work through anything to deceive us.

The name Satan comes from a Hebrew word sah-TAHN which means adversary as in signifying an enemy, and an accuser, father of lies.

Satan was created perfect in all his ways with beauty, wisdom and freewill as he was an anointed cherub. God placed him as the guardian or protector over the throne of God in heaven. He was entrusted with many possessions and found much favor in the Lord.

God created the earth and saw that it was good and he took Lucifer from Gods Holy Mountain and set him over the Garden of Eden as a covering cherub to watch over and enjoy all that was of God. As Lucifer was set in the garden iniquity was soon found in him as he defiled Gods sanctuary through pride in his own beauty and deceit as he wanted all that was of Gods here on earth to be his own as he tried to make his throne above the angels and be God.

Here are just a few names used for this fallen angel as who knows if God even gave him a name. In scripture he is known as Lucifer, Satan, Devil, Beelzebub, Belial, Adversary, Dragon and Serpent.

Because iniquity was found in him God cast him and those angels who chose to follow him out of his holy mountain and cast them all down to earth to be trampled of all nations. The only reference in scripture that denotes there being one third of the angels falling with Satan is in Revelation 12:9.
(Ref: Read Ezekiel Chapter 28 Prince of Tyrus – dual referent)

Since Satan is known as the god of this world and the prince of the powers of the air he has access to the throne of God to accuse the saints of God as Jesus makes intercession for them. Satan has no authority in heaven as he lost that privilege, but was cut down to earth and through his hatred and anger of God now uses his deceit to separate man from God by stealing the word of God from them thus stealing their faith in God.

Satan is a counterfeiter with his own church, trinity, doctrine and supernatural powers. He is an imitator of God in every way, but his ways are that of an evil purpose to separate man from the love of God as he uses those in his ministry to deceive even the very elect of God.

God’s trinity is Father (God), son (Jesus Christ), and the Holy Spirit. God who has no beginning nor end, Jesus who is the Spirit of God come to earth in the form of flesh to save those who are lost and be the final blood sacrifice without blemish for the atonement of man’s sin and the Holy Spirit which dwells in the believers hearts to teach us of all things and to be our comforter and guide. John 1:1-5, 14; John 14:26.

Satan’s trinity is Satan (father of lies), the beast or antichrist, false prophets which include false teachers and false witnesses. Satan’s doctrine is the twisted word of God, which we see in many religions that dictates what a man can and cannot do according to the their manipulation and carnal interpretations of Gods word.

John 8:44 ye are of your father the devil and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

1John 2:18 Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.

2Thessalonians 2:9 Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,

The theology I ascribe to does not fault Satan for the troubles of this world. His job I'd to bring our sins to the heavenly tribunal and prosecute us.

By way of example, do we blame God when bad things happen in our lives? Do we blame Satan? Or how about ourselves?

If somebody you love gets killed by a drunk driver, is it Gods fault for not protecting your loved one?
Is it Satans fault for tempting the alcoholic?
Or is it the fault of the drunk driver for doing something that he knew could kill somebody else, or himself... out of context, James says that some sins lead to death... and I think it applies to some alcoholics and addicts.

In the Bible, there is this idea of light and darkness. In this metaphor, darkness is the absence of light. We Christian's are called into that light and we are to shine that lite into dark places. In short, what we do, or fail to do is very important. So instead of complaining how dark the darkness is, we could be asking why our light isnt shining as bright as it could. But my fear is that men love darkness.
to each there own i go by john 10:10 the thief his mission vs christ mission paul called him the adversary like a roaring lion seek who he may devour paul also said he could transform himself to a angel of light rev 12: 12
Therefore rejoice, you heavens,
and you who dwell in them!
Woe to the earth and the sea,
{for the Devil has come down to you
with great fury,
because he knows he has a short time. }
do i give him credit for every thing bad???? not at all is the author of it?? yes he sure is. kill us spiritually steal our joy destroy lives with sin. to the person committing suicide he whispers end it.... he has many functions ..i have met some who doesnt believe in him at all

I think we actually blame Satan for our own misgivings as we can not admit to ourselves that we at times walk outside of God's will for that is where we allow Satan to come in and play with our mind.

The Jerusalem Bible uses the word subtle and wild beast
I was referring to the actual Hebrew Text. It just says the serpent that spoke to Eve was more cunning/crafty/subtle than any other creature God had made in Day 6 and does not actually say what kind of creature; “wild beast”, cattle or creeping thing. Most translations pick one of the kinds.

The Hebrew word for beast is:
wə·ḥay·ṯōw-
וְחַֽיְתוֹ־
beast

and doesn’t actually appear in Gen 3:1. It’s inserted into 3:1 by the KJV and others. Thus a good literal Bible will indicate as much by either italics or brackets.

Neither a lie, truth, or adding to the simple truth is truth.

So true.

Satan approached Eve with the “right” way to interpret God’s word.

The only thing that come out of him is defilement and deception.

She didn’t perceive falsely about the tree until she communicated (communion) with the serpent.

Having partaken of what was coming out of Satan’s heart, she was defiled with the corrupt issue flowing from his heart.

As a man, Jesus never engaged in a conversation with the Devil, but only gave him the truth of God’s word.

JLB

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back