Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Saved by Grace Through Faith, Not by Works

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
That's not what I'm saying. My definition of happenstance does not account for it.

Not if, but when, a person who has believed that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, knowing He saved them from sin - they then turn away from Him because they choose sin instead of Christ - God has no obligation to bring them into the kingdom.
Yes, He STILL DOES have an obligation. I'm sure everyone on this forum understands what a promise means, and a guarantee.

Jesus noted in John 5:24 that WHEN one believes presently, they WILL NOT (FUTURE TENSE) come into judgment, but has passed from death to life. That life is eternal, which can never die. This is a promise to those who have believed.

Because of what God has promised, He HAS OBLIGATED Himself to keep His promises. If He doesn't, He is a liar. And God is NOT a liar. So we know He keeps His promises.

God's promises don't disappear because of anything we may do. But it seems to be that the loss of salvation view leads to such a conclusion. That if we fail, He is no longer obligated by His own promises.

Yes future tense beyond the present, will all who believe receive eternal life.

Which means we now have the hope of inheriting eternal life.
Jesus NEVER said that in John 5:24. He said those who believe PRESENTLY HAVE eternal life. They have it NOW. Not a hope for it in the future.

However, He also said this: from believing presently, they believer WILL NOT (future tense promise) come into condemnation, but has passed from death to life.

So, from a present action of belief, one is guaranteed these 3 things:
1. possession of eternal life
2. will not in the future come into condemnation
3. has passed from death to life.

Yes, He STILL DOES have an obligation. I'm sure everyone on this forum understands what a promise means, and a guarantee.

Jesus noted in John 5:24 that WHEN one believes presently, they WILL NOT (FUTURE TENSE) come into judgment, but has passed from death to life. That life is eternal, which can never die. This is a promise to those who have believed.

Because of what God has promised, He HAS OBLIGATED Himself to keep His promises. If He doesn't, He is a liar. And God is NOT a liar. So we know He keeps His promises.

God's promises don't disappear because of anything we may do. But it seems to be that the loss of salvation view leads to such a conclusion. That if we fail, He is no longer obligated by His own promises.

His only obligation is to His promises. He never promised that a man cannot leave Him. He never promised that the man who does leave Him will live forever. His promise is that those who believe do have eternal life.

You cannot take His place and declare what He intended to say. He is very clear in what He told us, and that is those who are in Christ will never perish. His promise is that those who do not believe will not be in His eternal kingdom.

He never promised that someone who at one time believed, who then turns away, will still have eternal life. There is no promise of that - you will not find that promise anywhere in the Bible.

If we are going to see God's promises for what they are we should not add anything to them, or take anything away from them.

Jesus NEVER said that in John 5:24. He said those who believe PRESENTLY HAVE eternal life. They have it NOW. Not a hope for it in the future.

However, He also said this: from believing presently, they believer WILL NOT (future tense promise) come into condemnation, but has passed from death to life.

There is a lot of commentary here from you, and I'm sure it is well meaning, but haven't we covered this about a thousand times.

There is no scripture, that sets aside the condition for eternal life, which is to believe.

The condition believe is required for eternal life, and until you post a scripture, not more commentary, that says that the condition believe is no longer required, after a person is born again, and joined to Christ, being one spirit with Him, then there is no point in you continuing to try and convince us, otherwise.

“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life. John 5:24

Furthermore, Jesus said this in the next verse's, and is just as true:

28 Do not marvel at this; for the hour is coming in which all who are in the graves will hear His voice 29 and come forth—those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation. John 5:28-29

• those who have done good, to the resurrection of life
  • those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation.

We don't get to "Cherry pick" what things we want to believe, and reject the other things Jesus said, in which we try to change the meaning of what He said, by only saying a "part" of a verse, and ignoring the context.

JLB

Exactly!
I would also encourage you to support your case with verbs (and participles) using the perfect tense; which describes past completed action with continuing results.

His only obligation is to His promises.
You got that right!!! And He keeps every one of His promises. Including John 10:28.

None of His sheep will ever perish. He said it this way; I give them eternal life and they shall never perish.

He never promised that a man cannot leave Him.
The ONLY WAY one can "leave" Christ is in the sense of fellowship, since believers are sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit, which is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance for the day of redemption. Eph 1:13,14

He never promised that the man who does leave Him will live forever.
Here's what He DID promise: His sheep (recipients of eternal life) WILL NEVER PERISH.

But it seems your claim is that some of His sheep CAN perish.

His promise is that those who believe do have eternal life.
More than that. He promised those He gives eternal life will never perish.

You cannot take His place and declare what He intended to say.
The only intent is what He plainly said. His sheep will never perish.

He is very clear in what He told us, and that is those who are in Christ will never perish.
His promise is to recipients of eternal life; they will never perish.

His promise is that those who do not believe will not be in His eternal kingdom.
Right. Those who never believed.

He never promised that someone who at one time believed, who then turns away, will still have eternal life.
His promise of never perishing was made to recipients of eternal life.

Why is this FACT never addressed?

There is a lot of commentary here from you, and I'm sure it is well meaning, but haven't we covered this about a thousand times.

There is no scripture, that sets aside the condition for eternal life, which is to believe.

The condition believe is required for eternal life, and until you post a scripture, not more commentary, that says that the condition believe is no longer required, after a person is born again, and joined to Christ, being one spirit with Him, then there is no point in you continuing to try and convince us, otherwise.

“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life. John 5:24

28 Do not marvel at this; for the hour is coming in which all who are in the graves will hear His voice 29 and come forth—those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation. John 5:28-29

We don't get to "Cherry pick" what things we want to believe, and reject the other things Jesus said, in which we try to change the meaning of what He said, by only saying a "part" of a verse, and ignoring the context.

JLB
The only real issue is what Jesus promised in John 10:27-28

Jesus said:
"My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them (believers/My sheep} eternal life and they shall never perish." John 10:28

v.28 tells to whom Jesus gives.

v.28 tells us WHAT Jesus gives.

v.28 tells us the RESULT of what Jesus GIVES to WHOM.

Jesus gives to His sheep. These are believers.

Jesus gives eternal life to believers, who are recipients of eternal life.

Recipients of eternal life will never perish.

This isn't even close to arguable. Jesus spoke in plain language here. No metaphors, no figures of speech. Just straight talk about eternal security.

Exactly!
I would also encourage you to support your case with verbs (and participles) using the perfect tense; which describes past completed action with continuing results.
I thank you for your expertise in the Greek grammar. Your posts are quite informative.

You got that right!!! And He keeps every one of His promises. Including John 10:28.
Yep, Everything you find written in the Bible God truly means. Even this,

Mat 10:33
but whoever denies me before men, I also will deny before my Father who is in heaven.

But on the other hand,

Mat 10:32
So everyone who acknowledges me before men, I also will acknowledge before my Father who is in heaven,

None of His sheep will ever perish.
You got that right. None of His sheep. We know His sheep because they hear Him and follow Him. Those who do not hear Him or follow Him are not His sheep. He even stated this Himself;

Jhn 10:25-27
Jesus answered them, “I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father’s name bear witness about me, but you do not believe because you are not among my sheep. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.

He said it this way; I give them eternal life and they shall never perish.
Right, they will never perish because He is the source of their life. Left to themselves, they have no life without Him.

1Jo 5:11-12
And this is the testimony, that God gave us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life.

The ONLY WAY one can "leave" Christ is in the sense of fellowship, since believers are sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit, which is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance for the day of redemption. Eph 1:13,14
I do not see this statement of yours "sense of fellowship" listed in Ephesians. Could you underline it for me? In fact, if there is anywhere in the whole Bible that states the only "way" someone can leave Christ is in the sense of fellowship, could you show that to me? All I have read is your interpretations of this idea, and have never seen you show any passages that state this.

Here's what He DID promise: His sheep (recipients of eternal life) WILL NEVER PERISH.
Right, as I stated above, they will never perish because in Him we have life and are safe. Outside of Him we are not safe and have no life.

Rom 8:9
You, however, are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you. Anyone who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him.

Nope. None of His sheep will perish. Some think they are His sheep because they said a prayer, or were baptized, or believed something one time in their life. But we know that His sheep hear Him and follow Him.

Jhn 10:27
My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.

Right, they will not perish because He gives them life. If they leave Him then He can no longer give them life and they will perish.

Right, only His sheep will never perish. He never promised that to those who are not His sheep. We can tell the difference between His sheep and those who are not.

His promise is to sheep. I do not see "recipients" in any verses in the Bible. Could you underline them for me?

Those who never believed will be in the same place as those who have and then turned from it.

2Pe 2:21
For it would have been better for them never to have known the way of righteousness than after knowing it to turn back from the holy commandment delivered to them.

Still not seeing the whole "recipients" word. I have tried searching for it, and come up empty. I do know that He promises His sheep eternal life and never to perish.

I am not sure. I have addressed all the facts presented, and asked for clarification on the non-factual statements that are presented.

Jesus gives life to His sheep. I am not sure why we keep having to discuss this point.

Right, they will never perish because He is the source of their life. Left to themselves, they have no life without Him.
Being 'Left to themselves' is a passive action on the part of the person. I would not characterize GOD as One who leaves His children to themselves.

None of His sheep will ever perish. He said it this way; I give them eternal life and they shall never perish.

When Jesus says Truly, truly, he is declaring the truth. ie. his sheep follow him and he gives them eternal life and they will never perish. This is true. He's not saying if they follow him. He is declaring the truth - they do follow him. He does give them eternal life. They will never perish.

John 10:28 is not a promise to recipients of eternal life. Jesus doesn't say if they receive eternal life, they will never perish. That's why you don't see any conditions such as if they continue to believe in his saying.

Rather he says his sheep follow him and he gives them eternal life and they will not perish. There's a difference. So when he says, "I give them eternal life", that's not a promise. That's a fact. Jesus is declaring the truth. John 10:1 "Truly, truly, I say to you." The truth is Jesus is the door of the sheep. He gives his sheep eternal life.

"My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me; 28 and I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish, and no one shall snatch them out of my hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand." John 10:27-29

It's a simple fact: His sheep follow him and he gives them eternal life and they will never perish. Jesus is declaring the truth.

Last edited:
The only real issue is what Jesus promised in John 10:27-28

Jesus said:
"My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them (believers/My sheep} eternal life and they shall never perish." John 10:28

This isn't even close to arguable. Jesus spoke in plain language here. No metaphors, no figures of speech. Just straight talk about eternal security.

The condition for eternal life is believe.

You have failed to provide any scriptures that teaches this condition of believing is ever set aside in a persons life.

JLB

Being 'Left to themselves' is a passive action on the part of the person. I would not characterize GOD as One who leaves His children to themselves.
I wouldn't either. :)

The point of the post/conversation is that eternal life is only from God - as in, He is only capable of being eternal in and of Himself.

Some think that a person receives eternal life like they would receive any other thing. They think that God hands it to them(puts it inside of them?) and then all of a sudden they are now eternal beings. (I have this strange movie scene in my head that would relate).

So what I was intending to convey was that God gives us eternal life, but it's a connection to Him, not something that is seperate of Him - hence the fact being connected you will never perish - if you are disconnected you will.

So what I was intending to convey was that God gives us eternal life, but it's a connection to Him,

IOW

The gift of God is being in Christ, which is eternal life.

And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent. John 17:3

again

For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 6:23

He allows covenant relationship, for those who believe.

Anyone who has studied the bible, easily discovers that we are "in covenant" with Christ, in which we are joined to Him, and are one spirit with Him.

• But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him. 1 Corinthians 6:17

Because we are one with Christ, we are reconciled to God the Father as well, because the Father and the Son are One.

• I and My Father are one. John 10:30

The question: Is it possible for the Lord to divorce an unfaithful wife, who goes back to joining herself with Satan, from whom she was set free and given a new life in Him?

JLB

Yep, Everything you find written in the Bible God truly means. Even this,

Mat 10:33
but whoever denies me before men, I also will deny before my Father who is in heaven.
So then, if this means denying entrance into heaven from one who used to believe, Jesus contradicted Himself. Is that your position??

You got that right.
Of course I did.

None of His sheep.
But your posts do include the idea that one who has believed, has received eternal life, but HAS removed themselves from union with Christ will perish. Where did Jesus make that condition in John 10:28? He didn't. Those He said will never perish are simply recipients of eternal life. No conditions on the recipients:
1. no condition to keep on believing
2. no condition to avoid any specific lifestyles
3. no conditions period.

Now, Does the Bible tell us to keep believing? Yes. But not to maintain salvation.
Does the Bible tell us to avoid specific lifestyles? Yes. But not to maintain salvation.

But this contradicts what Jesus said. He said recipients WILL NEVER PERISH. You've added the scenario of some recipients being able to leave Him, and perish.

But Jesus doesn't give anyone the right to believe that. Because His promise is to recipients, ALL recipients, not just some who fulfill certain conditions, as you've added extrabiblically.

Nope. None of His sheep will perish.
You've repeatedly made the point that IF any of His sheep leave Him, they will perish, which is contrary to your statement here.

So, which is it? Can any of His sheep, for any reason, perish?

Some think they are His sheep because they said a prayer, or were baptized, or believed something one time in their life. But we know that His sheep hear Him and follow Him.
I don't really care what "some think". That's not the issue. The ONLY issue is what Jesus promised to those He gives eternal life to.

What is quite clear from Scripture is this:
1. WHEN a person believes in Christ, He gives them eternal life. John 5:24 and 10:28
2. When a person believes in Christ, they are called His sheep. John 10:9ff
3. So, ALL who have believed HAVE BEEN given eternal life. Obvious conclusion.
4. The Bible is clear that some will believe for a while and then fall away. Luke 8:13
5. However, because they did believe, they were given eternal life. This makes them a recipient of eternal life.
6. John 10:28 says recipients (I give them...) of eternal life will never perish.

Yet, in spite of these facts, the view continues that some recipients of eternal life CAN perish, and DO. In total disregard of Jesus' promise.
How is that faith in Christ, and in His words.

Right, they will not perish because He gives them life. If they leave Him then He can no longer give them life and they will perish.
He ALREADY GAVE them life. John 5:24. WHEN they believe, they HAVE eternal life. So your conclusion is false. No one can perish who has been given eternal ife.

I suggest John 10:28 hasn't been read correctly til yet.

The single issue here is that recipients of eternal life (those Jesus GIVES eternal life) will never perish.

I continue to see in your posts the idea that recipients can somehow (as yet NOT shown from Scripture) remove themselves from union with Christ (an impossibility from Eph 1:13,14) and therefore, perish.

But Jesus doesn't give anyone room for that idea. He SAID recipients (that would be all of them, since He didn't specific "some", "many", or any other limitations) will never perish.

Yet, it seems your view continues to push the idea that some recipients will perish. In total disagreement with what Jesus SAID.

Right, only His sheep will never perish. He never promised that to those who are not His sheep. We can tell the difference between His sheep and those who are not.
Is there any Scripture that speaks of His sheep EVER becoming not His sheep?

His promise is to sheep. I do not see "recipients" in any verses in the Bible. Could you underline them for me?
This is nothing more than playing word games. When Jesus said "I give them..." that makes them recipients. Are you not fluent in English? I ask that in respect, because everyone fluent in English KNOWS that when someone RECEIVES something, they are RECIPIENTS of something.

Those who never believed will be in the same place as those who have and then turned from it.
In total disagreement with what Jesus said in John 10:28. He said recipients (those He gives eternal life) will never perish.

2Pe 2:21
For it would have been better for them never to have known the way of righteousness than after knowing it to turn back from the holy commandment delivered to them.
I reject the notion that Peter was contradicting what Jesus said.

Still not seeing the whole "recipients" word.
Well then, I guess there's no use in further discussion. I have erroneously assumed those who post here are fluent in English. I apologize for my assumption.

I have tried searching for it, and come up empty. I do know that He promises His sheep eternal life and never to perish.
What He said specfically is this: "I give them eternal life, and they will never perish."

So, the only way to prove that a saved person can ultimately perish is to prove FROM THE BIBLE that some of those He gives eternal life will perish. Which goes DIRECTLY AGAINST what He said. So, good luck with that.

Jesus gives life to His sheep. I am not sure why we keep having to discuss this point.
Only because you've continued to push the notion that some of those He gives eternal life will perish. That's why.

When Jesus says Truly, truly, he is declaring the truth. ie. his sheep follow him and he gives them eternal life and they will never perish. This is true. He's not saying if they follow him. He is declaring the truth - they do follow him. He does give them eternal life. They will never perish.
Right.

John 10:28 is not a promise to recipients of eternal life.[/QUTOE]
Excuse me, but it most assuredly IS. When Jesus said "I give them eternal life" they BECAME RECIPIENTS of eternal life.

It seems that maybe more than one poster here isn't fluent in English. When someone is given something, they BECOME recipients of something. This is so obvious I can't believe I'm having to explain it.

Jesus doesn't say if they receive eternal life, they will never perish.
And I NEVER said anything about "if". The single issue is that those He gives eternal life (recipients) WILL NEVER PERISH.

That's why you don't see any conditions such as if they continue to believe in his saying.
I don't see it because it's NOT there.

Rather he says his sheep follow him and he gives them eternal life and they will not perish. There's a difference.
No, there's no difference at all. Those He gives eternal life WILL NEVER PERISH. Bank on it. Eternal security.

So when he says, "I give them eternal life", that's not a promise. That's a fact.
What each of us calls it is immaterial. When God makes a promise, it IS a FACT. Bank on it.

"My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me; 28 and I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish, and no one shall snatch them out of my hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand." John 10:27-29
This is what we learn from these verses:
Jesus said:

"I give believers/My sheep eternal life and they shall never perish." John 10:28

It's a simple fact: His sheep follow him and he gives them eternal life and they will never perish. Jesus is declaring the truth.
Of course He is. Those He gives eternal life WILL NEVER PERISH.

Yet, why do some continue to think that some who have received eternal life CAN perish? Why?

So then, if this means denying entrance into heaven from one who used to believe, Jesus contradicted Himself. Is that your position??

Please post the scripture that teaches this.

The condition for receiving eternal life in Christ, is believing.

that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life. 16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. 17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved. John 3:15-17
  • whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Those who believe for a while, no longer meet the required condition for having eternal life, which is in Christ: Being joined to Christ, as a man and woman are joined in marriage.

JLB

The condition for eternal life is believe.

You have failed to provide any scriptures that teaches this condition of believing is ever set aside in a persons life.
What ever do you mean? WHEN one believes, they HAVE eternal life. So said Jesus: “Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life. Jn 5:24

This means that WHEN one FIRST believes is WHEN they HAVE (become recipients of) eternal life.

If there is disagreement, then please show any verse that indicates at WHAT point in the person's life, AFTER first believing, when Jesus finally gives them eternal life.

those who have done good, to the resurrection of life
those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation.
I still fail to see what this has to do with WHEN one receives eternal life.

JLB
I find this statement hilarious, given what I've read from your posts.

What Jesus said clearly is that those He gives eternal life will never perish in John 10:28.

That DESTROYS the notion that any saved person (has been given eternal life) can perish.

I asked this:
"So then, if this means denying entrance into heaven from one who used to believe, Jesus contradicted Himself. Is that your position??"
Please post the scripture that teaches this.
When my question is answered first. Which is: is that your position?

It seems you've dodged my question.

Is there any Scripture that speaks of His sheep EVER becoming not His sheep?

Yes, there is.

12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in Your name. Those whom You gave Me I have kept; and none of them is lost except the son of perdition, that the Scripture might be fulfilled. John 17:12

Judas Iscariot was one of His sheep, and became an Apostle, destined to reign and rule with Christ and the other 11 in the millennium, but became lost: having become a traitor.

28 So Jesus said to them, “Assuredly I say to you, that in the regeneration, when the Son of Man sits on the throne of His glory, you who have followed Me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. 29 And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or lands, for My name’s sake, shall receive a hundredfold, and inherit eternal life.
Matthew 19:28-29

Judas could have inherited eternal life, like the rest, but he chose to betray Jesus, and lost his inheritance.

There will be some who betray the Lord Jesus in the last days as well.

JLB

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back