Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

scripture interprets scripture revisited

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

stranger

scripture interprets scripture revisited

The following is based on a reformed apolegetic that states four sources of authority for the Protestant believer: reason, tradition, experience and scripture.

For some time now I have felt that three sources of authority (listed above) are not reflected in the expression: scripture interprets scripture.

So I propose the following question and invite you to comment:

Do Protestants use scripture, reason, tradition and experience to interpret scripture instead of scripture interprets scripture?

blessings:

I think sometimes living out the Christian life in the Spirit can convey to us truths with a clarity not always given directly to us in Scripture, and as we know Scripture does not answer every possible question we could ask about moral issues - as it is not a manual. Some things do have to come through our reason, but basing that reason on principles laid out in Scripture. Paul often takes principles from the OT and applies them in a new way we wouldn't always expect - like his passage on not muzzling the ox while treading grain (1 Corinthians 9:9; 1 Timothy 5:18) to illustrate hope in the Christian life. Also our freedom of observance of many things in the Christian life (and the moral temperance that accompanies it) can be extrapolated from what is written in Romans 14, even though Paul only uses specifically food as an example. But the discerning believer would see the deeper principles being laid down in that chapter as to conscientious observance of all things. So observing principles in Scripture and extrapolating for practical every day living I think is essential for the Christian, but it must be based on what we see clearly laid out in Scripture first.

Such are my convictions about Scripture.

seekandlisten said:
I use knowledge, rational logic, a learning state of mind and open heart, and guidance from the Holy Spirit.

hello seekandlisten!

Thanks for your response. The point I am trying to get across is that Protestants use a lot of things besides scripture to interpret scripture. It is a rather hard task to identify what these factors are and how they influence our interpretation apart from the other scriptures we use.

Rational logic would equate well with reason in the reformed apologetic I based my statement on. Your list shows a more devout approach than I anticipated as a response, worship almost.

blessings

No doubt being able to apply practical matters from principles in Scripture is also an essential capability that a pastor or minister must have if they are to do any kind of counciling, and I know that counciling can indeed be a tough thing even for the most learned in Scripture. Many times we have to pray over certain matters to get a word from God over how to proceed for complex issues that must be addressed. In short - knowing the Scripture, walking in the Spirit, and praying are all essentials to apply God's Word in our lives.

~Josh

Aside from believing in God and that Jesus died for our sins and the commandment to love your neighbor as yourself of course. Aren't the rest of Scripture merely a revelation of God's Plan. Do they matter as much as we make them on any more than a personal level. Should we quite worrying about how other believers are living or concentrate on our own life and look to other for encouragement rather than condemnation and judgement?? Are we too caught up in the law and setting standards/rules to act out this unconditional love it teaches??

Just a thought to ponder?

Edit Here: I was just rereading over this thread and realized that I'm kind of going off topic here more along the lines of how or why we interpret Scripture. I think your asking more along the line what do we measure someones interpretation of Scripture against?

stranger said:
Rational logic would equate well with reason in the reformed apologetic I based my statement on. Your list shows a more devout approach than I anticipated as a response, worship almost.

blessings

Can i ask what you meant by your last statement?? I'm kind of confused by it with what you mean by worship.

cybershark5886 said:
I think sometimes living out the Christian life in the Spirit can convey to us truths with a clarity not always given directly to us in Scripture, and as we know Scripture does not answer every possible question we could ask about moral issues - as it is not a manual. Some things do have to come through our reason, but basing that reason on principles laid out in Scripture. Paul often takes principles from the OT and applies them in a new way we wouldn't always expect - like his passage on not muzzling the ox while treading grain (1 Corinthians 9:9; 1 Timothy 5:18) to illustrate hope in the Christian life. Also our freedom of observance of many things in the Christian life (and the moral temperance that accompanies it) can be extrapolated from what is written in Romans 14, even though Paul only uses specifically food as an example. But the discerning believer would see the deeper principles being laid down in that chapter as to conscientious observance of all things. So observing principles in Scripture and extrapolating for practical every day living I think is essential for the Christian, but it must be based on what we see clearly laid out in Scripture first.

Such are my convictions about Scripture.

Hi cybershark,

Thanks for your response also. Again more natural response than I expected as I had been focusing on the technique and process implied by 'scripture interprets scripture'. Suppose you read a passage , examine it, look at what others say - when all is said and done how do you decide on the interpretation? If I were to map out the steps you take to interpret a text, based upon your answer, how would that compare with 'scripture interprets scripture'?

I half expected to see 'Protestant orthodoxy' in some recognisable form or the early signs of a consensus. Perhaps I would get that from those of the reformed persuasion.

blessings

seekandlisten said:
Aside from believing in God and that Jesus died for our sins and the commandment to love your neighbor as yourself of course. Aren't the rest of Scripture merely a revelation of God's Plan. Do they matter as much as we make them on any more than a personal level. Should we quite worrying about how other believers are living or concentrate on our own life and look to other for encouragement rather than condemnation and judgement?? Are we too caught up in the law and setting standards/rules to act out this unconditional love it teaches??

Just a thought to ponder?

Edit Here: I was just rereading over this thread and realized that I'm kind of going off topic here more along the lines of how or why we interpret Scripture. I think your asking more along the line what do we measure someones interpretation of Scripture against?

Hi seekandlisten,

I'm not asking why but how we interpret any given text and having established that, how does it compare with the Protestant 'scripture interprets scripture' method of interpretation. I'm only speaking in general terms and only refer to the reformed faith because that is my background.

blessings

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back