Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Scripture required?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Matthew 16:15-19
15 He *said to them, "But who do you say that I am?"
16 Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."
17 And Jesus said to him, "Blessed are you, Simon Barjona, because flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but My Father who is in heaven.
18 "I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hades will not overpower it.
19 "I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever you bind on earth shall have been bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven."

So where is the Apostolic Church founded in this passage? I see Jesus saying the Early Church would be built upon "this rock" which may be a play on words, Peter's name - Cephas - meaning "rock" or "stone" (petros in Greek) but the "rock" in the phrase "this rock" referring to "bedrock" (petra in Greek). Even if by "rock" (petra), Christ meant Peter (petros) and not himself, or Peter's confession that Christ was the "Son of the living God," both of which are entirely plausible readings of the passage, Christ doesn't actually say anything to Peter about him being the first "link" in an apostolic "chain" of apostles extending to today. This is a Roman Catholic construction forced into the passage in support of a claim to apostolic authority (and all the assorted blasphemous doctrines arising from it) that the passage doesn't actually present at all. There were, in reality, many "stones" upon which the Church was established, not just Peter who, himself, explicitly deferred to Christ as the foundation "cornerstone" of the Church.

1 Peter 2:4-7
4 As you come to him, a living stone rejected by men but in the sight of God chosen and precious,
5 you yourselves like living stones are being built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.
6 For it stands in Scripture: “Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone, a cornerstone chosen and precious, and whoever believes in him will not be put to shame.”
7 So the honor is for you who believe, but for those who do not believe, “The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone,”
Christ builds the church on the apostles not himself! Eph 2:20

Matthew 16:15-19
15 He *said to them, "But who do you say that I am?"
16 Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."
17 And Jesus said to him, "Blessed are you, Simon Barjona, because flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but My Father who is in heaven.
18 "I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hades will not overpower it.
19 "I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever you bind on earth shall have been bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven."

So where is the Apostolic Church founded in this passage? I see Jesus saying the Early Church would be built upon "this rock" which may be a play on words, Peter's name - Cephas - meaning "rock" or "stone" (petros in Greek) but the "rock" in the phrase "this rock" referring to "bedrock" (petra in Greek). Even if by "rock" (petra), Christ meant Peter (petros) and not himself, or Peter's confession that Christ was the "Son of the living God," both of which are entirely plausible readings of the passage, Christ doesn't actually say anything to Peter about him being the first "link" in an apostolic "chain" of apostles extending to today. This is a Roman Catholic construction forced into the passage in support of a claim to apostolic authority (and all the assorted blasphemous doctrines arising from it) that the passage doesn't actually present at all. There were, in reality, many "stones" upon which the Church was established, not just Peter who, himself, explicitly deferred to Christ as the foundation "cornerstone" of the Church.

1 Peter 2:4-7
4 As you come to him, a living stone rejected by men but in the sight of God chosen and precious,
5 you yourselves like living stones are being built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.
6 For it stands in Scripture: “Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone, a cornerstone chosen and precious, and whoever believes in him will not be put to shame.”
7 So the honor is for you who believe, but for those who do not believe, “The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone,”
Of course Peter was the first in a long line.

This iis the reason Jesus gave Peter the keys. The sign of authority.
This is the reason Peter is always name first in any list of the Apostles and Judas is always listed last.

Whose church do you think Jesus meant by MY CHURCH?
Jesus went back to heaven,,,,His church got started here on earth.
The Holy Spirit uses people to do His work.
He doesn't turn into a human and do the works Himself.

James ended up in Jerusalem and Peter ended up in Rome.
When one of the 5 Papi (popes) had a problem with doctrine they turned to Peter for calification because HE was the only one of the 5 that knew Jesus.

This is how the Pope's office ended up being in Rome -
The papacy as we know it today began in about the 4th or 5th century.

there is no good evidence that the catholic church (aka the mary worshippers church) is the apostolic church. none whatsoever.

change my mind.
Mary cannot be worshipped.
Only God.

Study some history.
What denomination was around back then?

Mary cannot be worshipped.
Only God.

Study some history.
What denomination was around back then?
Actually anything "can" be worshipped. Of course only God SHOULD be worshipped.

Trick question. You dont need to be in a "denomination". you can be a labelless Christian, just going by God's Words. :)

Actually anything "can" be worshipped. Of course only God SHOULD be worshipped.

Trick question. You dont need to be in a "denomination". you can be a labelless Christian, just going by God's Words. :)
Yeah.
That's what I'm doing.
But it's not ideal.
The ideal is to belong to a good church.

I'm going to post the following, but it's not what I was looking for...

KV-44-v1

This is in line with the history of the early church.
There's more if you wish to study it a little.

Development towards the Pentarchy[edit]​

Early Christianity[edit]​

In the Apostolic Age (largely the 1st century) the Christian Church comprised an indefinite number of local churches that in the initial years looked to the first church at Jerusalem as its main centre and point of reference. But by the 4th century it had developed a system whereby the bishop of the capital of each civil province (the metropolitan bishop) normally held certain rights over the bishops of the other cities of the province (later called suffragan bishops).[9]

Of the three sees that the First Council of Nicaea was to recognize as having such extraprovincial power, Rome is the one for which records are most available. The church in Rome intervened in other communities to help resolve conflicts.[10] Pope Clement I did so in Corinth in the end of the 1st century.[11] In the beginning of the 2nd century, Ignatius, Bishop of Antioch, speaks of the Church of Rome as "presiding in the region of the Romans" (ἥτις προκάθηται ἐν τόπῳ χωρίου Ῥωμαίων).[11] In the end of that century, Pope Victor I threatened to excommunicate the Eastern bishops who continued to celebrate Easter on 14 Nisan, not on the following Sunday.
[12]

You forgot Lutheran’s are taught Luther’s catechism!

Christ and his church are one! Acts 9:4 Jn 15:4-5 eph 5:24 eph 5:32

Christians must be taught or instructed, according to the sense which the perpetual consent of the Catholic Church hath held and expressed, as commanded by Christ! Matt 28:19-20 acts 1:2

Lk 1:4
Matt 5:14
Matt 28:19
Lk 10:16
Jn 20:21
Acts 16:17
Acts 8:31
Titus 1:9
Titus 2:12
Colossians 2:7
Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught…

No Christian has the authority to read scripture for yourself and decide your own doctrines or beliefs! “One faith” Eph 4:5 Thee faith once handed to the saints” Jude 1:3

Those who submit to the apostolic church know the truth! Those who reject The apostolic church are in error!

1 John 4:6
We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.

Members of the communion of saints must submit to the teaching of the apostles: “the light (truth) of the world” and the pillar of truth! Matt 5:14 1 Tim 3:15
God is not about a man's religion nor does He recognize any organized religion whether it's Catholic, Methodist, Lutheran, UCC, The Kingdom Hall, LDS or whatever name one wants to give to their religion. This is why there are over 5000 different religions in the world as man walks after their own doctrines neglecting the true doctrines of Christ for what He has already taught and inspired the Apostles to write in their letters to the true Church of Christ being the body of Christ with He being the head of the body.

What happened to your faith in Christ and the Holy Spirit?

Matt 16:18-19 shall not prevail!
Jn 16:13 Lead into all truth!
Matt 28:19 teach all men!
Acts 1:8 witnesses

The church is subject unto Christ!
Eph 5:24
The church and Christ are one! Acts 9:4 Jn 15:5 eph 5:32

The apostolic church is of divine origin and has the truth, those in opposition are full of errors and the tradition of men! 1 Jn 4:6

Christ and His church are the truth!
Jn 1:16-17 & 14:6
1 Tim 3:15

Christ is the Light (truth) of the world! Jn 8:12
Apostolic church Light of the world! Matt 5:14
Must Hear Christ! Matt 17:5 acts 3:22
Must hear the church! Matt 18:17
Christ and his apostolic church teach the same truth! Lk 10:16

Thanks
The Scriptures themselves bear evidence to man's influence.

Paul had to write to the church in Corinth for straying from the truth.
Now I plead with you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all [d]speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment. For it has been declared to me concerning you, my brethren, by those of Chloe’s household, that there are contentions among you. Now I say this, that each of you says, “I am of Paul,” or “I am of Apollos,” or “I am of Cephas,” or “I am of Christ.” Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul? I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius, lest anyone should say that I had baptized in my own name. Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas. Besides, I do not know whether I baptized any other. For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel, not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of no effect.
1 Corinthians 1:10-17 NKJV

Paul also had to do the same to the church in Galatia.
I marvel that you are turning away so soon from Him who called you in the grace of Christ, to a different gospel, which is not another; but there are some who trouble you and want to pervert the gospel of Christ.
Galatians 1:6-7 NKJV

Even Peter strayed and Paul had to admonish him.
Now when Peter had come to Antioch, I withstood him to his face, because he was to be blamed; for before certain men came from James, he would eat with the Gentiles; but when they came, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing those who were of the circumcision. And the rest of the Jews also played the hypocrite with him, so that even Barnabas was carried away with their hypocrisy. But when I saw that they were not straightforward about the truth of the gospel, I said to Peter before them all, “If you, being a Jew, live in the manner of Gentiles and not as the Jews, why do you compel Gentiles to live as Jews?
Galatians 2:11-14 NKJV

Christ builds the church on the apostles not himself! Eph 2:20
Eph 2:11 Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;
Eph 2:12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
Eph 2:13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.
Eph 2:14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;
Eph 2:15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;
Eph 2:16 And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:
Eph 2:17 And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh.
Eph 2:18 For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.
Eph 2:19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
Eph 2:20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;
Eph 2:21 In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:
Eph 2:22 In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.

We are not built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets alone, but by that which God gave the apostles and prophets to write that are the words that Christ taught them first and inspired them to write these letters to all that form the body of Christ with Christ Jesus being the head/foundation of our faith in Him by God's grace.

Apostolic church?

“My church” founded by Christ on Peter and the apostles! Matt 16:18 eph 2:20

This doesn't deal with anything I pointed out. It just contradicts, ignores and parrots R.C. doctrine. This is not at all a persuasive or thoughtful response to my post.

You forgot Lutheran’s are taught Luther’s catechism!

Christ and his church are one! Acts 9:4 Jn 15:4-5 eph 5:24 eph 5:32

Christians must be taught or instructed, according to the sense which the perpetual consent of the Catholic Church hath held and expressed, as commanded by Christ! Matt 28:19-20 acts 1:2

Lk 1:4
Matt 5:14
Matt 28:19
Lk 10:16
Jn 20:21
Acts 16:17
Acts 8:31
Titus 1:9
Titus 2:12
Colossians 2:7
Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught…

No Christian has the authority to read scripture for yourself and decide your own doctrines or beliefs! “One faith” Eph 4:5 Thee faith once handed to the saints” Jude 1:3

Those who submit to the apostolic church know the truth! Those who reject The apostolic church are in error!

1 John 4:6
We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.

Members of the communion of saints must submit to the teaching of the apostles: “the light (truth) of the world” and the pillar of truth! Matt 5:14 1 Tim 3:15

I’m not Lutheran.

I’m a Christian; a follower of Christ.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back