Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

SECULAR SAYINGS THAT HAVE BIBLICAL ROOTS

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Hmmm You got me on that one... guess someone else will have to answer. (Be sure you are using a Version of the Bible and not something else...) :study

LOL Well the British spelling didn't help me... but verifying it was not from a paraphrasing made me think harder. :biggrin I guessed it had to be something Paul said (good odds on that anyway ;) ) ... here it is:

1Thessalonians 1:3 (NKJV)

3...remembering without ceasing your work of faith, labor of love, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ in the sight of our God and Father,

Good one! Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay. Hey Jason...it would be nice if you'd search out the full reference for us, unless there's something that prevents you from doing so. ;)

Here we go:

Secular: by the skin of my teeth

Biblical:

Is this how the game is played?

Job 19:20 My bone cleaveth to my skin and to my flesh, and I am escaped with the skin of my teeth.

:thumbsup You got it!

Biblical : Job 19:20 My bone cleaveth to my skin and to my flesh, and I am escaped with the skin of my teeth.

Now the second part is you put up the next secular saying that has a Bible verse as it root, and let someone else guess the verse.

Re: RECAP so far: SECULAR SAYINGS THAT HAVE BIBLICAL ROOTS

The game so far:

Secular: two heads are better than one
Bible: "Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed."-– Ecclesiastes 4:9

Secular saying: I'm at my wit's end; she's at her wit's end
Biblical: Psalm 107:27 They reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man, and are at their wits' end.

Secular saying: ' ...white as snow'
Biblical: "Come now, and let us reason together," Says the LORD, "Though your sins are as scarlet, They will be as white as snow; Though they are red like crimson, They will be like wool." Isaiah 1:18

Secular: she is the apple of his eye
Biblical: He found him in a desert land, and in the waste howling wilderness; he led him about, he instructed him, he kept him as the apple of his eye. (Deut 32:10 )

Psalm 17:8(NKJV) Keep me as the apple of Your eye; Hide me under the shadow of Your wings

Zechariah 2:8 For thus saith the LORD of hosts; After the glory hath he sent me unto the nations which spoiled you: for he that toucheth you toucheth the apple of his eye. (speaking of Israel being the apple of God's eye)

Secular: far be it from me
Biblical: 1 Samuel 12:23 ESV Moreover, as for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the Lord by ceasing to pray for you, and I will instruct you in the good and the right way.

Secular: Sign of the times
Biblical: Matthew 16:3 "And in the morning, It will be foul weather to day: for the sky is red and lowring. O ye hypocrites, ye can discern the face of the sky; but can ye not discern the signs of the times?"

Secular: live by the golden rule (and no, not the one that says whomever has the gold, rules) treat people like you want to be treated
Biblical: Luke 6:21 Do unto others as you would have them do unto you

Secular: The Leopard Cannot Change His Spots
The saying the leopard cannot change his spots means that the character or nature of a person or institution cannot be changed.
Biblical: Jeremiah 13:23 (King James Version): Can the Ethiopian change his skin, or the leopard his spots? then may ye also do good, that are accustomed to do evil.

Secular: He's gonna bite the dust.
Biblical: Psalms 72 (King James Version), 1611: "They that dwell in the wilderness shall bow before him and his enemies shall lick the dust."

Secular: a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush
Biblical: Bible sentiment is about how a sure thing is better than something better that you don't have yet: found in Ecclesiastes 9 – “a living dog is better than a dead lion.â€

Secular saying: The blind leading the blind
Biblical reference: Luke 6:39
And He spoke a parable to them: ¡°Can the blind lead the blind? Will they not both fall into the ditch?--
Mathew 15:14 Let them alone. They are blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind leads the blind, both will fall into a ditch.

Secular: I can see the handwriting on the wall
Biblical: Daniel 5:5 Suddenly the fingers of a human hand appeared and wrote on the plaster of the wall, near the lampstand in the royal palace. The king watched the hand as it wrote.

Secular: land of Nod
Secular: East of Eden
Biblical: Genesis 4:16: And Cain went out from the presence of the LORD, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden.

Secular: Straight and narrow
Biblical: Mathew 7:14: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Secular: The root of all evil...
Biblical: For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows 1 Timothy 6:10

Secular: jack of all trades master of none
Biblical: Matthew 6:24 one can only serve one master. (with the idea that if you try to serve more than one, you won't master anything?)

Secular: Out of the mouths of babes.
Biblical: Psalm 8:2 2Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength because of thine enemies, that thou mightest still the enemy and the avenger

Secular: drop in the bucket

Biblical: Isaiah 40:15 Behold, the nations are as a drop of a bucket, and are counted as the small dust of the balance: behold, he takes up the isles as a very little thing

Secular: what goes around comes around
Biblical: Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. (Gal 6:7)

Even as I have seen, they that plow iniquity, and sow wickedness, reap the same. (Job 4:8)

1 Peter 5:8 ESV Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.

Ecclesiastes 1:6-7 ESV The wind blows to the south and goes around to the north; around and around goes the wind, and on its circuits the wind returns. All streams run to the sea, but the sea is not full; to the place where the streams flow, there they flow again.

Secular: I’m at my wit’s end!
Biblical: They reeled and staggered like drunkards, and were at their wits' end. Psalm 107:27

Secular: The apple doesn't fall far from the tree (a son will be like his father)
Biblical: And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so. (Genesis 1:11)

Secular: Eat, drink, and be merry..
Biblical: New American Standard Bible (©1995) 8:15
So I commended pleasure, for there is nothing good for a man under the sun except to eat and to drink and to be merry, and this will stand by him in his toils throughout the days of his life which God has given him under the sun.

And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry. (Luke 12:19)

Secular: turn, turn,turn, a time for peace..
Biblical: Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 NASB There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every event under heaven--A time to give birth and a time to die; A time to plant and a time to uproot what is planted. A time to kill and a time to heal; A time to tear down and a time to build up. A time to weep and a time to laugh; A time to mourn and a time to dance. A time to throw stones and a time to gather stones; A time to embrace and a time to shun embracing. A time to search and a time to give up as lost; A time to keep and a time to throw away. A time to tear apart and a time to sew together; A time to be silent and a time to speak. A time to love and a time to hate; A time for war and a time for peace.

Secular: stiffnecked
Biblical: Exodus 32:9 "And the LORD said unto Moses, I have seen this people, and, behold, it is a stiffnecked people" (KJV)

Secular: labor of love
1Thessalonians 1:3 (NKJV) remembering without ceasing your work of faith, labor of love, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ in the sight of our God and Father

Secular: make a peace offering
thats in leviticus and one was to make a peace offering to the lord once a year.

Biblical: Job 19:20 My bone cleaveth to my skin and to my flesh, and I am escaped with the skin of my teeth.

AH ha! LIKE fingernails on a blackboard... okay.

Secular: set your teeth on edge (like fingernails on a blackboard)

Biblical: Jer 31:30 - But every one shall die for his own iniquity: every man that eateth the sour grape, his teeth shall be set on edge.

If I understand, the "Riddle" is started by one post who quotes a secular saying such as,
"A fly in the ointment,"
and the responder cites the bible passage that is its root: "Dead flies cause the ointment of the apothecary to send forth a stinking savour: so doth a little folly him that is in reputation for wisdom and honour." (Ecc 10:1) Right?

Okay, here goes:
"In the twinkling of an eye"
(by Shakespeare in The Merchant Of Venice, 1596: "I'll take my leave of the Jew in the twinkling of an eye."

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back