Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Sermons on Important Subjects by Samuel Davies

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Davies

Repentance and Divine Mercy

Jeremiah 31:18-20

King James Version (KJV)

18I have surely heard Ephraim bemoaning himself thus; Thou hast chastised me, and I was chastised, as a bullock unaccustomed to the yoke: turn thou me, and I shall be turned; for thou art the LORD my God.
19Surely after that I was turned, I repented; and after that I was instructed, I smote upon my thigh: I was ashamed, yea, even confounded, because I did bear the reproach of my youth. 20Is Ephraim my dear son? is he a pleasant child? for since I spake against him, I do earnestly remember him still: therefore my bowels are troubled for him; I will surely have mercy upon him, saith the LORD.

I'd like to quote a couple of passages that spell out a beautiful picture of repentance and God's mercy in the hopes it may encourage someone. Although this quote only covers a portion of the Scripure referenced, I tried to find what we commonly experience and the reality of God's love.

"The pardoned penitent proceeds,- I was ashamed, yea, even confounded, because I did bear the reproach of my youth. We are ashamed when we are caught in a mean, base and scandalous action; we blush, and are confounded, and know not where to look, or what to say, Thus the penitent is heartily ashamed of himself, when he reflects upon the sordid dispositions he has indulged, and the base and scandalous actions he has committed. He blushes a his own inspection; he is conounded at his own tribunal. He appears to himself, a mean, base, contemptible wretch; and, though the world may honour him, he loaths himself, as viler than the earth he treads on; and is secretly ashamed to see the face of man. And how then shall he appear before God? howshall he hold up his face in the presence of his injured Father? He comes to him ashamed, and covering his head. He knows not what to say to im; he knows not how to look him in the face, but he falls down abashed and confounded at his feet."

I would venture to say if we have not responded to God in some similar fashion, I'd be inclined to question my salvation. Many times, I've heard someone say they came to Christ when they were just a child, and they didn't have any concept of being of feeling condemned by the law of God or have the notion they don't deserve the kindness of God.

"While he is listening to Ephraim's mournful complaints, he abruptly breaks in upon him, and sweetly surprises him with he warmest declarations of pity and grace. "Is this Ephraim, my dear son, whos mournin voice I hear? Is this my pleasant child, or (as it might be rendered) the child of my delights, who thus wounds my ear with his heart-rending groans?" What strange language this toan ungrateful, unyeilding rebel, that continued obstinate till he was wearied out; that would not turn till drawn; that deserved to fall a victim to justice!This is the language of compassion all divine, of grace that becomes a God."

It is important to keep in mind our sins, that we look at ourselves in truth, and I'm thinking if we are honest, that evaluation will be rather ugly when using God's word. This is one reason why I think Christianity is so unpopular and why we have large denominations straying from the faith. Besides taking inventory of our sins, it's important to have a good understanding and trust in God's grace. One without the other is going to warp a person's faith. We all want to claim having received God's love, forgiveness, mercy, compassion etc., but not without repentance. I think everyone to a degree enjoys the grace of God because, let's face it, God is enduring the evil that we see everyday. But if you can identify with the sorrow over sin expressed in Jer. 31:19, then I would say take courage in God's mercy with full confidence.
- Davies :study

Back