Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

"Set your affection on things above" (Colossians 3.2)

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

farouk

"Set your affection on things above" (Colossians 3.2).

This morning I was challenged by this verse.

This is something that the believer in the Lord Jesus need to keep doing. There are bad things in the world, but also it's not just bad things that occupy us; it's the legitimate things, that can occupy our attention, but we need to keep looking up!
"Looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith" (Hebrews 12).

So let's keep looking above!

I was also thinking of the hymn that says:

'And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of His glory and grace.'

The challenge is: where is our heart? where are our affections?

Blessings.

I wish getting attached to worldly things wasn't so dang easy.=/

questdiven:

Well, you're right, it is! but if we keep looking up, setting our affection on things aabove, looking unto Jesus, then the world loses its attraction.

Blessings.

This is something that the believer in the Lord Jesus need to keep doing. There are bad things in the world, but also it's not just bad things that occupy us; it's the legitimate things, that can occupy our attention, but we need to keep looking up!

This is a great reminder. It is so easy to set our affections on other things.

Have we not yet overcome those things of this world past, present and future by the blood of the Lamb as those things which present themselves as being that which is against God as the god (Satan) of this world will continue in deceiving those without Spiritual knowledge to continue in their sinful ways as he seduces the thoughts of the mind and actions of the hands of those who reject that which is Christ Jesus.

Jesus has won the battle over Satan, John 16:33, as Jesus holds the keys of hell in his hands, Rev 1:18, and we no longer have to fear that which can kill the body, but not the soul, but fear (respect) that which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Matthew 10:28. If we are truly setting our affections on things above, then we will always know the mind of Christ and stand in His statures while here on this present Earth.

The Lord Jesus said to His followers to take up their crosses daily (Luke 9.23). We need to set our affection on things above and keep looking up daily. (We can't expect to have some psychological experience that supposedly rids us for all time of any tendency to look away; rather, we must challenge ourselves daily before the Lord, prayerfully.)

questdiven:

Well, you're right, it is! but if we keep looking up, setting our affection on things aabove, looking unto Jesus, then the world loses its attraction.

Blessings.

True, very true.
The thing is I feel like I keep making the same mistake over and over. Even if I do well for a while and get really close to God, eventually I mess up all over again. Human nature, I guess.

For me, the biggest distraction is my fandoms--the shows I like enough for them to occupy my mind. Things like the computer factor in, too, because a lot of times the time I spend on it cuts into the time I'm supposed to be reading my Bible.
I don't think there's anything wrong with liking things like that, as long as you don't get overly obsessed with them. There's a balance somewhere.
I'm not actually obsessed with anything at the moment, but I know I'm not setting my affection on things above right now either.

That's what makes God so awesome, I think. He loves us even when we aren't faithful and when we mess up. He's faithful even though I'm not.

True, very true.
The thing is I feel like I keep making the same mistake over and over. Even if I do well for a while and get really close to God, eventually I mess up all over again. Human nature, I guess.

For me, the biggest distraction is my fandoms--the shows I like enough for them to occupy my mind. Things like the computer factor in, too, because a lot of times the time I spend on it cuts into the time I'm supposed to be reading my Bible.
I don't think there's anything wrong with liking things like that, as long as you don't get overly obsessed with them. There's a balance somewhere.
I'm not actually obsessed with anything at the moment, but I know I'm not setting my affection on things above right now either.

That's what makes God so awesome, I think. He loves us even when we aren't faithful and when we mess up. He's faithful even though I'm not.

questdriven:

...and this is where daily Bible reading and prayer come in, too. If our hearts and minds are open to them, then this is how our affections can be stirred.

Blessings.

True, very true....Things like the computer factor in, too, because a lot of times the time I spend on it cuts into the time I'm supposed to be reading my Bible....

I know what you mean. That used to be a huge problem for me too. Then I started reading my Bible as soon as I got up in the morning, before I did anything else. I don't get a chance to do that all the time, but usually now I go on the computer after I'm done with devotions.

You are so true! His grace, mercy, and love never cease to amaze me! :biggrin

I love Colossians 3. That's such a great reminder. We can't think of heavenly things above enough!

I know what you mean. That used to be a huge problem for me too. Then I started reading my Bible as soon as I got up in the morning, before I did anything else. I don't get a chance to do that all the time, but usually now I go on the computer after I'm done with devotions.

You are so true! His grace, mercy, and love never cease to amaze me! :biggrin

Psalm28.7:

It's always good to begin the day with Him, in the Word. Sets the priorities, really.

Daily prayer is so important, too.

Blessings.

Excellent passage! Far too often my affections only extend to the here and now. Lord help me to keep my focus on you and you plans for me!

Thanks for the uplifting scripture!

Excellent passage! Far too often my affections only extend to the here and now. Lord help me to keep my focus on you and you plans for me!

Thanks for the uplifting scripture!

YW, p78; as we daily read the Word prayerfully, the Lord by His Spirit enables us to keep looking up!

Blessings.

True, very true.

PS: questdriven:

Yes, He is faithful.

'Great is Thy faithfulness' (Lamentations 3.23).

I like the hymn:

Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father,
There is no shadow of turning with Thee.
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided.
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord unto me.

(Refrain) Great is Thy faithfulness! Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see.
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided.
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord unto me.

This is something that the believer in the Lord Jesus need to keep doing. There are bad things in the world, but also it's not just bad things that occupy us; it's the legitimate things, that can occupy our attention------

Hey stay out of my head :lol . I was thinking about the same thing and the same verse this morning!

I was also thinking of the hymn that says:

'And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of His glory and grace.'

The challenge is: where is our heart? where are our affections?

Blessings.

Yep. Where is your heart.
Sometimes people just want what Jesus can do for them, but don't want Him

Hey stay out of my head :lol . I was thinking about the same thing and the same verse this morning!

Hebrews says to keep 'looking unto Jesus' (Hebrews 12.2), looking up to the One who is at the right hand of God, having endured the Cross.

thanks for the reminder, i think we all need to be reminded of this once in a while.

Back