Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Seventh-day Adventist

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
POST TWO OF TWO

The Jewish Haggadah (oral legend) was originally associated with the Talmud repeats the older legend in great clarity and what IS the testimony of these texts?
“The soul and body of man are united in this way: When a woman has conceived...God decrees what manner of human being shall become of it – whether it shall be male or female, strong or weak,...and what all it’s other qualities shall be. Piety and wickedness alone are left to the determination of man himself. “Then God makes a sign to the angel appointed over the souls, saying, “Bring me the soul so-and-so, which is hidden in Paradise, whose name is so-and-so, and whose form is so-and-so.†The angel brings the designated soul, and she bows down when she appears in the presence of God, and prostrates herself before him. At that moment, God issues the command, “Enter this sperm.â€
The soul is reluctant (perhaps scared) to enter the body and mortality, however God reminds this soul by saying :
“ Know, also, you will one day depart from the world below, and if you will observe God’s Torah, then will you be found worthy of sitting with these pious ones. But if not, you will be doomed to the other place.†The Haggadah (The Soul of Man)"
This doctrinal pattern is not just repeated in the ancient literature, but it is CONSISTENT in it’s repetition. It is a consistent doctrine whether it’s sourced from ancient Jewish texts or from ancient christian texts. THIS is the framework by which THEY would look at the biblical texts.

If I quote Gal. 5:17 where the “flesh lusteth against the spirit, and the spirit against the flesh†to show that we men have both flesh and spirit, again, I am still confronted by having to interpret the scripture according to my own bias and limited knowledge OR, I can seek for the comments of the early Christians themselves IF they have commented in their early writings. It so happens in this case, that there are MANY writings they have left us that tell us specifically and clearly that they did believe in the existence of a spirit that existed before man was born.

I can even look to the Talmud’s explanation of the relationship between the Body and the Spirit that was taught anciently :
“The body says, ‘The spirit sinned, for from the day it separated from me, behold, I have been lying like a silent stone in the grave.’ Also the spirit can say, ‘The body sinned, for from the day I separated from it, behold I have been flying in the air like a bird.â€....So the Holy One, blessed be he, brings the spirits and placing it in the body, he also judges them as one. For it is said, ‘He will call to the heavens from above and to the earth, so he might judge his people.’ ‘He will call the the heavens from above’ – this to the spirit. ‘And the earth so he might judge his people’ The apocryphon of Exekiel Frag one quotes this explanation that comes from the babylonia talmud, Sanhedrin 91a,b;

RND may claim that all of the ancient Christians and All the Ancient Jews and the rest of the world is wrong and he is correct. He might even be right, but the point is that they DID believe and teach these things and they ARE in the bible but his own framework is what makes him unable to see this.

However, if one can see the early christian doctrines FROM THE VIEWPOINT OF THE ANCIENT CHRISTIANS, then one can better understand scriptures that refer to the spirit in man in the way THEY understood them. One could certainly make similar examples and expositions for ALL of the many other biblical references that RND claims cannot be found.

for example :
Ps. 16:10 (or Acts 2:27, 31) where the psalmist rejoices that God “thou wilt not leave my spirit in hellâ€
James 4:5 spirit that dwelleth in us lusteth to envy
Job 14:22 his spirit within him shall mourn
Ps. 22:29 none can keep alive his own spirit
Matt. 10:28 fear him which is able to destroy both spirit and body
James 1:21 engrafted word, which is able to save your spirit
1 Pet. 1:22 ye have purified your spirit in obeying
Ezek. 11:19 (36:26–27; 37:14) I will put a new spirit within you
Luke 24:39 spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me
Acts 7:59 Stephen ... saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit
Acts 23:8 Sadducees say that there is no resurrection, neither angel, nor spirit
Rom. 8:16 spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit
1 Cor. 6:20 glorify God in your body, and in your spirit

I honestly don't want to spend more time on this point.

RND, you are free to make whatever claims you want. I am fearful that this will simply evolve into another argument without focus and progress. Please continue on without me. I apologize that you and I do not seem to discuss doctrines without me having frustrated you. I never meant to frustrate or make you angry. Please accept my apologies.

Clearly

Vince said:
Didn't Ellen G. White get bonked on the head with a rock, and then she started having visions?
Yes, as a matter of fact she was hit in the face with a rock and had a third grade education. Of course, no one would know that reading any of her books.

Clearly said:
Rather than argue, we may simply both agree that the SDA’s think that Paul did not know the answer and it is a mystery to the SDAs as well and that other christians did have a great deal of doctrinal information concerning this time period as demonstrated by the many Judao-Christian textual references to this time period.

In a previous post you said: "I need to ask for more clarification. The early judao-christian literature has so much data regarding this theme that I had wanted to compare SDA doctrine with the Judao-christian ancient literature. So, if you are saying the SDA have no data as to why Lucifer became Satan, did God give the prophet Ellen G. white ANY any additional doctrine that I could compare with ancient christian doctrines regarding Satan’s specific enmity towards Adam?"

To which I answered: Well I don't know that there is anyone that can fully explain the "mystery" of iniquity quite frankly. I mean if Paul couldn't do it and he knew all things in heaven and earth pertaining to God I don't know that anyone can.

This answered satisfied your inquiry and in no way should be concluded that I was inferring anything else about another topic.

The doctrinal information you claim that other christians did have were extra Biblical writings and thus not considered canonical.

2) REGARDING WHAT THE EARLY CHRISTIANS THEMSELVES SAID THEY BELIEVED

[quote:31yn6kp0]RND said : The fact that none of these works are referenced in the Gospels or epistles would be a red flag for me. You need to make fewer claims and obtain more education The New Testament did not Exist during the early days of Christianity. ....I know of no other denomination that claims "spirits" were made in heaven
- this has always been my POINT - you are ignorant of early doctrines that claim “spirits†existed prior to being placed in the body.[/quote:31yn6kp0] Not ignorant, just pointing out that what you believe other Christians received as doctrinal text were not in fact Scripture that's all.

Regarding my quote from the ancient Text called "Pistis Sophia" : [quote:31yn6kp0] RND replied : I have no idea who this woman is and wouldn't bank any of my beliefs on her. -
I had thought for a moment you were joking until I realized you were simply ignorant of ancient texts. Pistis Sophia is NOT a woman, it is a sacred TEXT. Your ability to make judgements about things you are completely ignorant of is amazing. You are developing a problem with credibility. How can one believe that you know any more about SDA theology than you do about history and ancient Christian theology? What if your accuracy regarding SDA theology is no more accurate than your accuracy regarding ancient christian history?[/quote:31yn6kp0] Is the text in question part of any Scripture that is considered canonical and inspired by the Holy Spirit? The answer is no. Therefore it holds no more weight with me than a copy of MADD magazine with Alfred E. Newman dressed as Moses.

You are trying to equate learning "doctrinal knowledge" from non-inspired text as somehow important.

RND claimed : “The fact of the matter is that one cannot compare inspired scripture with non-inspired texts.†- In this case, the fact of the matter is whether the ancient christians BELIEVED in these texts. You may certainly argue that they were wrong in believing in these things and that your belief is better. I have no problem with that.
Great! What these other Christian may have believed based on gnostic scriptures carries -zero- weight with me.

Still, It is historically apparent that THEY believed them and used them for inspiration and belief.
The Bible tells us also that grievous wolves had already entered into the church and would not spare the flock and that many of these false gnostic doctrine that the like of Origen and Justin Martyr believed and introduced are simple tripe. Origen for example is a known gnostic from Alexander and everyone for the most part knows that Origen denied the deity of Christ.

Again you are admitting ignorance and then making a judgement on the very thing you have admitted ignorance to. The credible order is to gain KNOWLEDGE and THEN make judgement on what one knows. You are correct in the arrogant claim that “error is errorâ€, but you do not understand that “ignorance is ignoranceâ€. In the SDA thread, stay with what you know and understand rather than trying to expound on what you do not know anything about.
Yeah, and I stated what I have knowledge of. The book of Enoch is also tripe. It's error.

Thank you for admitting this important point. They did NOT believe the same things as you; they did NOT read ONLY the same number and ONLY the same type of texts as you until AFTER the western texts evolved into the western texts and became more settled.
They read error and false doctrines and fairy tales. I wouldn't put any stock in any of the ancient text you referenced as inspired teaching. Period. The fact that folks believed them makes no difference to me.

If you read the New Testament, you are often reading quotes FROM MANY other texts. You are simply unaware of it. When Jude quotes from Enoch, which Enoch did you think he was quoting from? Though you say you “like historyâ€, but you do not “know†history. A serious study of history keeps us from making naive and silly claims. It is only serious study and knowledge that will keep you from referring to Pistis Sophia as a “woman†in the future.

Jud 1:14 And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints,

There is debate whether or not Jude was actually quoting the apocryphal book of Enoch or something else. This debate aside, if this is a quote from the book of Enoch, it does not affect the doctrine of inspiration nor does it mean that the early church removed the book of Enoch because of its internal inconsistencies. First of all, the book of Enoch was not considered scripture by the Christian Church. There was some discussion on its canonicity by a few people, but the Christian Church did not include it in the Bible. Second, Jude only quoted something that was true in Enoch and it does not mean that Enoch was inspired.

I quoted from Justin Martyr (the FIRST Christian apologist of note). I quoted from, Origen, Irenaeus; from Augustine, archbishop Timothy of Jerusalem (4th century), from Josephus, from Meyer, R.H. Charles, and the Dead Sea Scroll Jews. I quoted from Gregory of Nyssa and from Basilides. NONE of these are gnostic.
On the contrary Origen was a known gnostic that denied the fact that Jesus was God. I wouldn't insult Iranaeus or Gregory of Nyssa by lumping them together.

You dismissed these sources by simply saying “Oh, I'm sure some believed what these gnostic Jews wrote was doctrine, just not doctrine from God.â€. I find it difficult to believe that you are making these mistakes out of ignorance. Most of these quotes cannot be claimed to be frankly gnostic, nor jewish.
The fact that some of the "early Christians" you quoted were from the Alexandria school makes anything they write suspect.

The purpose of quoting the early Judao-Christian Documents was NOT because the doctrine of pre-mortal existence of the spirits is not taught, the doctrine certainly IS taught throughout the biblical texts, but rather I quoted the ancient Judao-Christian writings to show how the early Jews and Christians INTERPRETED the scriptures you and I read.
The doctrine is taught no where in the Biblical texts.The fact that some INTERPRETED the Bible that way is attributable to the false doctrines they believed.

Frequently the quoting of scriptures simply becomes a battle of “dueling scriptures†where two theists quote scriptures and then disagree on how one is to interpret what they read. It becomes a silly and useless exercise when the REAL question can be answered by simply reading what the ancients themselves said ABOUT the scriptures. There is no dearth of historical data and writings made by the early jews and Christians themselves. This is the value of my quotes.
The value of your quotes is to simply illustrate the error of other's beliefs.
If I say that I believe that man has a spirit within him and quote scriptures, what do they then mean.

[quote:31yn6kp0] Eccl. 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.
I might interpret this to mean that upon death of the body, the spirit in man shall return to God, where it was before. My opponent might interpret it differently. The question is how it was meant and understood anciently and originally. If I want to know how the ancient Christians interpreted it, I can read their own comments regarding the matter or what they read that gives a clearer picture.[/quote:31yn6kp0] When we allow scripture to interpret scripture we never get into any trouble. The Bible can speak for itself.

Therefore, fear not death. For that which is from me, that is the soul [spirit], departs for heaven. That which is from the earth, that is the body, departs for the earth from which it was taken.†(The Greek Apocalypse of Ezra 6:26 & 7:1-4) It is the often the additional data that makes clear and confirms
Looks like someone forgot to read Genesis 2:7.

In the popular Apocalypse of Sedrach God sends for the soul of the Prophet Sedrach. God says, “Go, take the soul of my beloved Sedrach, and put it in Paradise.†The messenger says to Sedrach, “give me that which our Father deposited in the womb of your mother in your holy dwelling place since you were born.â€.... give me your most desired soul [spirit]. The apocalypse of Sedrach 9:1-2 and 5
Tripe.

The apocalyptic literature of the Jews and Early Christians are by their very definition, full of reference to visions of heaven and spirits there. In the apocalypse of Abraham, he see’s the vision of heaven and the souls there :[quote:31yn6kp0] “And I saw there a great crowd of men and women and children, half of them on the right side of the portrayal, and half of them on the left side of the portrayal. Ch 22 1 “And I said, “Eternal, Mighty One! What is this picture of creation?â€......Why are the people in this picture on this side and on that?â€.... “ And the angel explains regarding these spirits : “those on the right side of the picture are the people set apart for me of the people with azazel; these are the ones I have prepared to be born of you and to be called my people.†The Apocalypse of Abraham 21:1-7 and 22:1-5;
More fantasy based on a rather warped view of the Bible.

The Zohar - The Destiny of the Soul
[/quote:31yn6kp0] Error is error.

Though I cannot prove the ancient jews or Christians were correct in this doctrine,
So you just speculate.

If I simply quote Luke 23:46 where Jesus says, “into thy hands I commend my spirit†upon the death of his body. I might interpret this to mean that the spirit in Jesus body returns to God just as Ecclesiastes said it would. However, my opponent might interpret it differently. If we want to know how would the ancient christians interpreted it, we may simply look at what THEY themselves said.
And I certainly wouldn't base any of my beliefs on what they thought.

R. Ishmael said : Metatron said to me : Come and I will show you the souls of the righteous who have already been created and have returned, and the souls of the righteous who have not yet been created. 3rd Enoch 43: 1-3. Again, the Enochian literature illuminates and confirms that the soul [or spirit) is separate from the Body and it returns to God upon death, just as Ecclesiastes describes.

Though this time period IS a mystery for the SDA as RND says. This was NOT true of the ancients; they possessed clear doctrines concerning this time period and their literature describes it clearly.
Which clearly were in error and not based on anything from the Bible but other texts.

Their literature described not only the spirits leaving of the body upon death, but they possessed doctrines as to the placing of the spirit into the body : [quote:31yn6kp0] “For just as a potter knows the pot, how much it holds, and brings clay for it accordingly, so also the Lord forms the body in correspondence to the spirit, and instills the spirit corresponding to the power of the body....And just as the potter knows the use of each vessel and to what it is suited, so also the Lord knows the body to what extent it will persist in goodness, and when it will be dominated by evil. Testaments of the Twelve Patriarchs- NAPTHALI 2:2-5;
[/quote:31yn6kp0] Error based not on the Bible.

Clearly said:
POST TWO OF TWO

The Jewish Haggadah (oral legend) was originally associated with the Talmud repeats the older legend in great clarity and what IS the testimony of these texts?
“The soul and body of man are united in this way: When a woman has conceived...God decrees what manner of human being shall become of it – whether it shall be male or female, strong or weak,...and what all it’s other qualities shall be. Piety and wickedness alone are left to the determination of man himself. “Then God makes a sign to the angel appointed over the souls, saying, “Bring me the soul so-and-so, which is hidden in Paradise, whose name is so-and-so, and whose form is so-and-so.†The angel brings the designated soul, and she bows down when she appears in the presence of God, and prostrates herself before him. At that moment, God issues the command, “Enter this sperm.â€
The soul is reluctant (perhaps scared) to enter the body and mortality, however God reminds this soul by saying :[quote:2au5v04o] “ Know, also, you will one day depart from the world below, and if you will observe God’s Torah, then will you be found worthy of sitting with these pious ones. But if not, you will be doomed to the other place.†The Haggadah (The Soul of Man)"
This doctrinal pattern is not just repeated in the ancient literature, but it is CONSISTENT in it’s repetition. It is a consistent doctrine whether it’s sourced from ancient Jewish texts or from ancient christian texts. THIS is the framework by which THEY would look at the biblical texts.[/quote:2au5v04o] All this proves is that because the Hebrews fell away they succumbed to the false doctrines of the pagans that invaded them.

If I quote Gal. 5:17 where the “flesh lusteth against the spirit, and the spirit against the flesh†to show that we men have both flesh and spirit, again, I am still confronted by having to interpret the scripture according to my own bias and limited knowledge OR, I can seek for the comments of the early Christians themselves IF they have commented in their early writings. It so happens in this case, that there are MANY writings they have left us that tell us specifically and clearly that they did believe in the existence of a spirit that existed before man was born.
Why would you need to do this? When taken as a whole the entirety of scripture shows clearly that man does not possess a separate soul mated to his body.[/quote]

The pagans believed this. The fact that certain Hebrews adopted these beliefs doesn't surprise me one bit. Jesus called them adulterers for a reason.

I can even look to the Talmud’s explanation of the relationship between the Body and the Spirit that was taught anciently :
“The body says, ‘The spirit sinned, for from the day it separated from me, behold, I have been lying like a silent stone in the grave.’ Also the spirit can say, ‘The body sinned, for from the day I separated from it, behold I have been flying in the air like a bird.â€....So the Holy One, blessed be he, brings the spirits and placing it in the body, he also judges them as one. For it is said, ‘He will call to the heavens from above and to the earth, so he might judge his people.’ ‘He will call the the heavens from above’ – this to the spirit. ‘And the earth so he might judge his people’ The apocryphon of Exekiel Frag one quotes this explanation that comes from the babylonia talmud, Sanhedrin 91a,b;
I wouldn't trust the Talmud considering Jesus was very hard on the Pharisees and their traditions adopted from the Talmud.

RND may claim that all of the ancient Christians and All the Ancient Jews and the rest of the world is wrong and he is correct. He might even be right, but the point is that they DID believe and teach these things and they ARE in the bible but his own framework is what makes him unable to see this.
I have no doubt in my mind that these errors were taught as fact. I take heart in knowing Jesus Himself saearched these men out and exposed their error.

However, if one can see the early christian doctrines FROM THE VIEWPOINT OF THE ANCIENT CHRISTIANS, then one can better understand scriptures that refer to the spirit in man in the way THEY understood them. One could certainly make similar examples and expositions for ALL of the many other biblical references that RND claims cannot be found.
Understanding is the key.

for example :
Ps. 16:10 (or Acts 2:27, 31) where the psalmist rejoices that God “thou wilt not leave my spirit in hellâ€
Hell = grave

James 4:5 spirit that dwelleth in us lusteth to envy
Refers to the "Holy Spirit."

Job 14:22 his spirit within him shall mourn
nephesh, i.e. physical body.

Ps. 22:29 none can keep alive his own spirit
nephesh, i.e. physical body.

Matt. 10:28 fear him which is able to destroy both spirit and body
psuche = breath
which usually, always, actually 100% of the time goes away upon death.

James 1:21 engrafted word, which is able to save your spirit
"...which is able to save your souls." psuche = breath

1 Pet. 1:22 ye have purified your spirit in obeying
psuche = breath
Ezek. 11:19 (36:26–27; 37:14) I will put a new spirit within you
ruwach = breath

Luke 24:39 spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me
pneuma = breath
Acts 7:59 Stephen ... saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit
pneuma = breath
Acts 23:8 Sadducees say that there is no resurrection, neither angel, nor spirit

Rom. 8:16 spirit itself beareth witness with our spiritpneuma = breath, refers to Holy Spirit.
1 Cor. 6:20 glorify God in your body, and in your spirit
pneuma = breath, refers to Holy Spirit.
I honestly don't want to spend more time on this point.
OK.
RND, you are free to make whatever claims you want.
Thanks.
I am fearful that this will simply evolve into another argument without focus and progress.
Yes it will.
Please continue on without me.
OK.
I apologize that you and I do not seem to discuss doctrines without me having frustrated you.
I'm not frustrated. I have the Bible as my guide. Anything else is unnecessary fluff.

I never meant to frustrate or make you angry. Please accept my apologies.
Neither frustrated nor angry.

And didn't Ellen G. White attribute her ability to have visions to being bonked on the head with a rock?

RND;

I can't say that I understand your theory that "The spirit of man doesn't exist". However, as I’ve looked at the various comments regarding your personal religious theory that "the spirit in man doesn’t exist". I noticed from some of the other debates that it seems like it is a very difficult theory for other Christians to understand as well. I am very interested in what the earliest christians said they believed and in their writings so I tried to see if I could find references to your theory in the early Christian literature.

I don’t find reverences to your theory outside of your comments and your personal interpretation of biblical scriptures. For example: I don’t find the apostolic fathers referring to it (i.e. those christian writings that originated during the time the apostles were alive). I don’t find crysostom, Justin, Origen, Augustine, etc. discussing it. I don’t find significant representation of your theory in ANY of my references of early Judao-Christian literature. Even the vast literature that discusses spirits in men doesn't even mention your theory as a "heresy" (which to them it would be). It simply doesn't mention it at all.

I can’t find significant references to your theory it in the Old Testament Pseudographia or the Midrashes. I’ve looked through the Chumash (stone’s edition) to see if any rabbinic comments reference this theory and it’s not mentioned as far as I can tell. I’ve looked at the New Testament apocryphal literature, the gnostic literature, the Dead Sea Scroll literature and I simply can’t find clear reference to this theory in any credible form. I had thought I could find at least some obscure references to it in some of the books in my library on ancient doctrines but I cannot. At least not yet, (though I admit I'm not willing to sift through a vast amount of literature looking for an obscure or tangential reference).

I understand that you feel that this theory is “biblical†in that your are able to interpret scriptures to support this theory just as others are able to interpret scriptures to support theories opposite to yours. However, I'm wondering if Ellen G. White came up with this theory or if it is a personal theory you developed yourself?

If you believe the early Christians believed in this theory, then can you provide any extra-biblical references to it from ANY early christian literature where it might be described or used by early christians? I simply haven’t heard of it from any source I’ve ever seen and though you try to support it by simply dismissing ALL other opinions from all other ancient christian texts discussing the existence of the soul as "heretical" or "gnostic" or "pagan", that tactic isn't helpful to your cause when the vast amount of ancient Christians give some credibility to these early Christian theologians and do not categorize all of them as heretics.

Judging from the reception of other Christians on the forum, your theory seems to be a rarity for many of them as well. Does any such data exist for this theory from any early christian writings other than your own interpretation of biblical passages meaning what you say they mean? If so, can you point me towards extrabibical references to your theory? Do you know of ANY ancient discussions by Christians of your theory of "no spirit in man" among the many references to the theory of "a spirit in man" other than your own interpretation of biblical passages? If such references exist, then one could read them in their ancient context (i.e. how the early christians felt about that theory and their discussions as to how this theory was to be explained and used. i.e. did they view it as another heresy or as a rare orthodoxy, or did they countenance it at all...)

I appreciate your time in advance.

Clearly
drtwfu4

P.S. Our comments became so centered on your theory that "the spirit in man did not exist" that I forgot to say that I DO think Ellen G. White's description of Lucifer's desire to exalt himself and to obtain the honor given to another DOES have a great deal of historical evidence and discussion among early christianity (and Quranic references) and I thought her description was wonderful. (However, ironically, the extra-biblical historical texts from early christianity that I have seen that agree with Ms White come from literature that you have labeled heretical / pagan and gnostic...).

It is specifically your theory that "men have no spirit within them" that I can find no credible historical evidence for nor significant discussion on. Nothing in early christian diaries, nothing in the actus literature, but they all reflect the doctrine of the spirit within men as far as I've seen. Please let me know if you have any early data where the regular Christians discuss their beliefs that refer to your theory.

Vince said:
And didn't Ellen G. White attribute her ability to have visions to being bonked on the head with a rock?

Here it is: Ellen G. White attributed her visions to being bonked on the head with a rock.

This misfortune, which for a time seemed so bitter and was so hard to bear, has proved to be a blessing in disguise. The cruel blow which blighted the joys of earth, was the means of turning my eyes to heaven. I might never had known Jesus, had not the sorrow that clouded my early years led me to seek comfort in him.

– Review and Herald, Nov. 25, 1884, par.2

Vince said:
Vince said:

Here it is: Ellen G. White attributed her visions to being bonked on the head with a rock.

This misfortune, which for a time seemed so bitter and was so hard to bear, has proved to be a blessing in disguise. The cruel blow which blighted the joys of earth, was the means of turning my eyes to heaven. I might never had known Jesus, had not the sorrow that clouded my early years led me to seek comfort in him.

– Review and Herald, Nov. 25, 1884, par.2

sounds about right..........

Thus He established the Sabbath as a perpetual memorial of His completed creative work.

I don't see this as biblical, could you please explain how the Sabbath is a memorial to Gods Work? Surely it his Creation itself that shows us who the He is and should be considered a memorial to His work.

RND said:
This thread has been set up to counter a thread that has cropped up that is attempting to label the Seventh-day Adventist denomination as a non-Christian "cult.".....

Seventh-Day Adventism is nothing but Jewish legalism hiding behind Jesus. They hold to Jewish dietary laws and Jewish ritual Saturday worship.

1) RND ; Regarding your theory “that there is no spirit in manâ€. It's been 5 days since I asked for historical data supporting your theory that "there is no spirit in man". Though you did not offer any rebuttal data, I still cannot find any historical references to your theory. I think that we can conclude that since it is a historically obscure doctrine, that it is not early Christian Doctrine since they spoke so much of their firm belief that there IS a spirit within man. I admit that I’ve not looked at much of the pagan or frankly heretical sources for historical reference to your theory.

2) Regarding your theory that there will be those who never heard (and thus were unable to believe in, nor accept Jesus as Savior) in heaven :
SdA doctrine believes that there will be many in heaven that never heard the name Jesus Christ but lived there lives in accordance with His teachings and life to the best of there ability according to the light they were given. Posted by RND, (post #1 on page three)
RND, did you mean to say what your statement appears to be saying? The doctrine that one does not have to believe in Jesus Christ in order to be saved, nor in fact do they even need to have heard of him to be saved represents a significant departure from early Christianity that believed that ALL mankind will ultimately recognize Christ as the Messiah and source for salvation as part of living in a heaven WITH him. Typically Christians claim that there is no other doorway to heaven besides Jesus.

Clearly.
viacacii

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back