Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Share your terrible job stories

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I put in 25 years at a private company. Then they started paying me a pension as my reward for working all those years. Good and bad days, but I kept going to work and doing the job. A man has to work. No way around it.

That's why I'm on the verge of leaving society to live in a cave and grow my own food.

Those people on the survival shows always seem to lose 20 pounds in two weeks. You need mad skills to be able to do the cave thing by yourself.

The Amish have a support network in place to enable them to subsistence farm. They need things like horses to plow the fields with, and their neighbors' help to raise a barn for them. That would be a better way to go than the cave thing. Its still quite a bit of hard physical labor. They retire at 50, and turn the farm over to their sons.

This is an excellent point, but it is frustrating when the employer changes the deal and isn't honest about what you are getting into.
I love that God cannot lie and He's not a covenant breaker. We know exactly what we've got in Jesus Christ!
Employers are people and people do stupid things, rash things, inconsiderate things, and so forth.

My employer changed things on me one time while I was out on vacation. They eliminated the position that I helped create and tried to assimilate the workload into the main core engineering group. This was not something that is decided on a whim and I'm convinced they knew what was planned long before implementation.

The reason I was instrumental in creating the position in the first place was because the main core engineering group was unable to respond in a timely manner to our customers' needs. My position is in after market services. It was discouraging that my position was eliminated and I fully understood that decisions need to be made at times but what was most upsetting to me was that after 15 years of service upper management didn't have the decency and courtesy to let me know what was coming but rather just suddenly blind-sided me with it. I felt I had earned that much respect and I made it known with no uncertain terms what I felt about what they did. I took it all the way to the top. I was very close to talking to our biggest competitor about a career change but chose to stick it out because as I told them, they had gone full circle and I knew their plan would not work and eventually they'll be coming back to recreating the position again. It didn't take more than about a year and eventually I was given my position back again.

Now, I'm strongly considering retirement next March and I could return the favor and not give advanced notice but I'm not going to stoop to that level. My plan is to make my final decision by August so I can give my managers at least 6-months notice. I am also considering offering contracting part-time with them to help deal with some of the old technology that I know they are not fully prepared to deal with based on my experiences over the last few years. I'm one of a handful of employees that has any retained knowledge of that old electronic equipment and because of that I know I have value.

One of the things I have strived for in my career was to keep myself employable by taking on challenges that others may not be willing to attempt. For example, at one time we acquired a new product line of equipment and as a field service technician I took it upon myself to learn as much as I could about that product line. My primary reason was because I knew that I would eventually have to service it and I wanted to be able to serve our customers as best I could. This gave the impression that I had a desire to work on that equipment, which in reality was not true. I really didn't want to service the equipment but it went with the territory. As a result I was called on as one of our primary technicians for that equipment and I'm still called on today.

Spoken like a contractor there. Absolutely true too. There's a lot of little stuff to know about any trade and the professional brings that with him. How to manuals and videos Don't really tell you what pitfalls and difficulties that can arise during a job. The experience that the university of hard knocks gives to a man in the trade usually means we been there done that. I am prepared for that eventuality. I'll still have the job done today.
Professional s are a little more, but if you think hiring a professional is expensive, try hiring an amateur! Lol.

A significant percentage of the (trades) work, is correcting less-experienced fly by night guys work. They get in over their head and then stop answering the phone, lol
I'm not a contractor but I do know some of what is involved.

I"we always heard this, but it wasn't true for me. When I was, 20ish my dad taught me (and it stuck!) that...even a bad business is better than a good job. 35 plus years later...it is true.

People tried to talk me out of going in business for myself. The first three fail, you need 50 grand in the bank, all sorts of stuff. I did it anyway. I didn't have anything except tools (from having a job)
They called me, we have s leak, do you work on crimped plastic water lines.
Yes we do, I'll be right out.
I didn't have anything for that job.
Sorry mamn, I'm one special fitting short..
Be right back...and went and bought it (and a couple extras for the truck) and went back and fixed it.
That's how I started a plumbing service company on a shoestring.
Don't worry about the money, just do good work (and stand behind it) and the money will take care of itself.

Later when I got licensed for hvac, I did the same thing. It worked.
Other types of businesses may not be able to do that. Depends what it is I guess
You have been very fortunate and choosing HVAC you are working in a rapidly growing industry that just happens to be in demand. That makes it a lot easier. A lot of the failures have to do with motive and drive. Most people are not driven well enough to think as an entrepreneur needs to think. Self-employed people don't work 9-5 and go home. Truly they work 24/7/365 if they really desire to be successful.

I'm not a contractor but I do know some of what is involved.

You pretty much covered all the bases, so you've been around it. I can tell that, lol.

I didn't understand these things as a young service tech-small business owner. But I learned them. I did well because I didn't try to get rich at it. I concentrated on the people. First the customers, then the help.

I had more than I needed and everybody was happy. I'm not trying to brag, just point out that, it's not about the money, it's about helping people. Both, customers and staff. The economy dwindled over time and got slower. I down sized but never really failed.

Tesla was right! It's not what you got, it's what you give.

You have been very fortunate and choosing HVAC you are working in a rapidly growing industry that just happens to be in demand. That makes it a lot easier. A lot of the failures have to do with motive and drive. Most people are not driven well enough to think as an entrepreneur needs to think. Self-employed people don't work 9-5 and go home. Truly they work 24/7/365 if they really desire to be successful.

I have been fortunate and in hindsight I can see the Lord was with us through it, and I wasn't even walking with the Lord through most of it.

It was a lot of hours. I think I worked every major holiday from 94 to maybe 04? Only after I went to triple time on major holidays did I get to stay home with the family, lol.

Triple time was not a gouge to customers to me. It was saying I want to be with my family, lol!

I called off today, lol. I had to. They're so busy that usually all I do is come home, eat and sleep. If I Don't show weekday attention to my life, they're gonna start turning things off!

I have the bill money! They leave me no time to attend to them. Plus my bank's all screwed up. I deposited a large check, so they put a hold on it for 10 days! Today is day 12 and I still can't get to my money...
I bet I Don't bank there much longer, lol. They open in 20 minutes, first on my list!

You pretty much covered all the bases, so you've been around it. I can tell that, lol.

I didn't understand these things as a young service tech-small business owner. But I learned them. I did well because I didn't try to get rich at it. I concentrated on the people. First the customers, then the help.

I had more than I needed and everybody was happy. I'm not trying to brag, just point out that, it's not about the money, it's about helping people. Both, customers and staff. The economy dwindled over time and got slower. I down sized but never really failed.

Tesla was right! It's not what you got, it's what you give.
When our oldest daughter decided to enter in the medical field her first aspiration was in anesthesiology. I asked why and she said something about the pay. I told her that if she was going into medicine to make money, she was going into it for the wrong reason. She should go into medicine to help people and the money will come later.

When our oldest daughter decided to enter in the medical field her first aspiration was in anesthesiology. I asked why and she said something about the pay. I told her that if she was going into medicine to make money, she was going into it for the wrong reason. She should go into medicine to help people and the money will come later.
Sometimes it is about the money though. I was thinking about becoming a teacher while I was unemployed and I still haven't ruled it out as an option but finally finding a job in my current field that pays slightly less than what I had before but still more than teaching can help me recover financially. Now if I could just recover mentally from all of this that would be great

Can't serve both God and Money.

24 “No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money. Matthew 6:24 ESV

Can't serve both God and Money.

24 “No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money. Matthew 6:24 ESV

Yes. It really is not about money. Now that is a...hard pill to swallow they way commerce is set up on this planet.

The Lord proved that to me a few years ago. I have some pretty good testimonies of how God helped me without money. (And with money, other times!)

I agree with both of you but we also have to be responsible for what we have and pay our bills. So if I have a mortgage payment due every month and a part time job in retail makes me happy but doesn't pay my bills, then sometimes it has to be about the money. That's all I mean.
I'm a 40-hour a week office drone and I really loathe it but until I have something else that can pay my monthly living expenses I can't walk out on my job.

I really don't want to serve money and that's part of why I'm frustrated with my job - marketing. Its not all bad - I'm not selling things that people don't need but the overall industry is all about the latest gadget and tech platform that just wastes peoples time, money and mental health really.
I remember watching the Jetsons as a kid and like that idea of the future with flying cars, automated homes, etc. But I think the reality is pretty scary because its all about getting you to subscribe for a fee to get Free Shipping and collecting data on your buying habits to get you to buy more.
I don't want to live in a cave but I am also not enamored with these cages we are building for ourselves.

I e had a few. I'm not afraid of hard work, and I'm a hard worker who produces results.
Give me an out of touch boss who has u realistic expectations and I wont stay long. Dad always taught me to get a new job before quitting your current job, and that's worked well for me and my family.

When I go in For an interview, i am interviewing them as much as they are me. I wont work with self centered ego centric people. I'm a team player who is results driven.

When I go in For an interview, i am interviewing them as much as they are me.
This is an important point. I think too often when people enter into an interview situation, they are putting themselves in a low position as though they are begging for the opportunity when in reality, it should be that both the interviewer and the applicant are on the same level. The employer is in need of help and the applicant is in need of a job. Both bring a need to the table and both bring opportunities to the table.

There really should be a class in school about how to conduct one's self at an interview.

WIP said:
There really should be a class in school about how to conduct one's self at an interview.
There are a ton of resources online for this but that doesn't stop either party from lying through their teeth about the job or their skills.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a ton of resources online for this but that doesn't stop either party from lying through their teeth about the job or their skills.
That is something we deal with every day. How do you know that anything anyone ever tells you is true or a lie? The best you can do is follow Jesus and tell the truth. Do you automatically go into every situation with the belief the person is lying to you or do you give benefit of doubt and trust them until they prove otherwise? I personally take the latter route.

This is also why one should get everything in writing including the offer from a job interview. You can bet the potential employer has everything in writing from you. After all, you did fill out a job application and that's what that is used for.

I'd say I'm sorry to hear that but you sound pretty okay with it!
And congratulations! You win first place for the most depressing work conditions with bonus points for going to work with double pneumonia :)

Nah, not even close.

Fish, coming up from some 2 miles beneath the surface, are caught on a solid line with a baited hook every 3 feet or so.
Not every piece of bait is eaten. Bait that comes back up won't be stored in the ship's hold on ice, as that space is precious and reserved for quality fish to be sold when back ashore in 2 or 3 weeks.

So the bait returns ashore having sat in the sun for said 2 to 3 weeks. Then when you run through the tub holding 1/4 mile of tangled line, every hook has to be perfectly sharp, baited, and the line untangled; otherwise crew dies.

As you perform this task, you brush the maggots off once they start crawling past your elbows. Try that with blood poisoning!
Oh, and did I mention the smell? Plus the 20 mile commute, one way, by bicycle.

Back