Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Should a college be up with the times?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Absolutely! If a person is going to pay the high cost of higher education, than it is the responsibility of the University to provide up to date information and technology. In almost every career, a person will use technology in one form or another. You should be given a well rounded education, which includes any sort of technology use.

Why settle for a school that is not up to speed?

Depends on my major.

I studied business, and some of my classes were fairly techno savy, while others weren't. I do not feel like the classes that had all of the gadgets and techy stuff fostered learning better than my vanilla classes with projectors and a chalk board.

Colleges should focus on better teachers (give me a projector with a teacher who I can understand over a desk with a built in laptop anyday.), and they should focus on cost controls.

The college I graduated from, Clemson, is a state college, yet is nearing private school tuition because of state budget cuts. I am going back to Clemson this fall and I am amazed how much tuition has went up even since I graduated in 2006

for me it would depend more of what they were lacking, but most of the time it is kind of annoying that I have to pay $15k a year and they dont keep up. if it was something like they dont have wireless in the classrooms I would be ok, even in the dorms Id be ok if I could atleast plug in and have internet.

Yes. I would. Why?

No matter what major you are you should have an idea of what the current technologies are and should be able to use them. And in most cases it makes things easier.

For example, this school doesn't have online registration. Online registration is *far easier*.

Besides that...I *am* in a science major. It would hinder me if I weren't up with technologies.

carbon said:
Yes. I would. Why?

No matter what major you are you should have an idea of what the current technologies are and should be able to use them. And in most cases it makes things easier.

For example, this school doesn't have online registration. Online registration is *far easier*.

Besides that...I *am* in a science major. It would hinder me if I weren't up with technologies.

Ouch. I thought every school had online registration. I guess we should list what we think "current tech" is.

I was thinking more like having online mixed in with your regular class work (ie. able to connect with your professor for online work sessions, home work answers posted, BB system), wireless connection in the classrooms, Chili's on campus etc.

Online registration should be at most, if not all schools.

Well if we're going with those...

Personally, I love the moodle system. Which is where profs can put assignments up online. The *major* problem with it, however, is that not all professors use it. And sometimes professors put their syllabi online. So you have some going with moodle, others going online, and other professors doing neither. I think it would be much nicer if one method was universal so it's easier to keep track of for students. Which is the great thing about moodle. It *can* be universal. It would be fantastic if I could just access all my syllabi in one place.

Heck, first thing I wish my school had was a copy machine available to students. We pay technology fees and matriculation, but we don't have a copy machine in the library or anywhere else for students to use. You have to have "connections" if you want to use an administration copy machine. To me that is basic, along with online registration which I can't believe that any school wouldn't have by now. That is crazy :confused

lol what are your tech fees going to then if you don't even have a student copier

Yes, because you need reliable computers and printers on campus to type up and print out papers and that's all I ever do!

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back