Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Should Christians be observing communion...

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Pogo

Should Christians be observing communion during this dispensation?

In a discussion recently about observing the communion rite, my view of when to partake of the Lord’s Supper...once, on the first day of each week... was challenged.

The following passage was referenced as proof that the Lord’s Supper should not be observed until we are joined with Jesus Christ in heaven.

Matthew 26:29 KJV
(29) But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.

Does anyone see this interpretation of the above passage as being valid?

In Christ,

Pogo

Pogo said:

In a discussion recently about observing the communion rite, my view of when to partake of the Lord’s Supper...once, on the first day of each week... was challenged.

The following passage was referenced as proof that the Lord’s Supper should not be observed until we are joined with Jesus Christ in heaven.

(29) But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.

In Christ,
Pogo

corsses2.jpg

In Luke we find the answer in chapter 22:14 And when the hour was come, he sat down, and the twelve apostles with him.
15 And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer:
16 For I say unto you, I will not any more eat thereof, until it be fulfilled in the kingdom of God.
17 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and said, Take this, and divide it among yourselves:
18 For I say unto you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine, until the kingdom of God shall come.
19 And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me.

When we go to our fathers kingdom to be with him then we will share the fruit of the vine together.

Thanks,

turnorburn

turnorburn -

Thanks for the response!

The passage you have referenced seems to have it's own built in conflict with that interpretation.

Jesus, Himself, is saying that He will not eat or drink until His church joins Him in Heaven.

But...I don't see that He is telling His apostles, and thereby us, to also abstain.

Rather, it is from His command to them to, "...this do in remembrance of me.", that I understand we should observe the communion rite as a memorial to Him.

Otherwise, what else could it be that we should be doing in remembrance of Him?

In Christ,

Pogo

Hey, didn't we have this discussion some time ago? Maybe it wasn't you.

Rather, it is from His command to them to, "...this do in remembrance of me.", that I understand we should observe the communion rite as a memorial to Him.
Yo are correct. It is not to be observed as a Passover memorial, but as a memorial to Jesus Himself.

1 Cor 11:23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:
1 Cor 11:24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
1 Cor 11:25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
1 Cor 11:26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do show the Lord's death till he come.

And to finish off the Corinthians verse,

Therefore whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord unworthily will have to answer for the body and blood of the Lord. 1 Cor 11:27

Clearly Paul sees it as very imperative that Christians observe Communion, as he sees that any profanation of the practice as having very grave consequences indeed.

So perhaps the real question ought to revolve around what it means to eat the bread or drink the cup of the Lord unworthily. Paul seems to indicate that there is a time to refrain from observing Communion.

pogo said:

I really don't see how anyone can get that interpretation from that passage. Jesus merely states that he will not drink of the vine until a specific time, nothing more. The passage has already been given that further supports that all believers are to remember what Christ has done through the Lord's Supper. I'm not even so sure that an argument can be sustained that it is to only be once a week on the first day. But that we should do it certainly can be sustained.

Pogo said:

In Christ,

Pogo

Hi Pogo,

See if you can work this out...

Matthew 9:14-17 Then came to him the disciples of John, saying, Why do we and the Pharisees fast oft, but thy disciples fast not? And Jesus said unto them, Can the children of the bridechamber mourn, as long as the bridegroom is with them? but the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken from them, and then shall they fast. No man putteth a piece of new cloth unto an old garment, for that which is put in to fill it up taketh from the garment, and the rent is made worse. Neither do men put new wine into old bottles: else the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved.

I read this as part of the New Covenant in Christ. (Jer 31:31). When we participate in the Lord's Supper, Jesus is our host as we share communion with Him.

Although the Lord's Supper is a memorial, it is also a celebration, a remembrance and a time for re-commitment.

Pogo said:

What a strange question...

Isn't communion a sign of our unity that the Church is supposed to have and that Christ prayed for and the NT epistles told us to continue to partake in the Eucharist still.

Communion is THE par excellent way in which we have a relationship with Christ in a most personal way this side of heaven. Why would anyone question "should we be observing communion"? Of COURSE we should...

Sort of like asking if we should have a sexual relationship with our spouse... Is cutting out the most intimate part of our relationship helpful???

Regards

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back