Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Should Christians serve in the military?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I have such a hard time with this one...I know a few Christians in the military but my bottom line is what exactly are they fighting for?? I have no idea honestly!! Do you? Can someone enlighten me with a answer that makes sense??

The country isnt based on GOD its based on a "god" but not THEE GOD.
Freedom? What freedom we aren't free!! We get away with a lot in America that wouldnt be tolerated in other countries but to say were "free"? I cant agree. After seeing first handidly the way our soilders return home broken, suicudal, not in touch with their faith. I want to say NO they shouldn't, but Im definitely perplexed.....:shrug
The where and why 'they' are sending our kids today in that way i agree....

I know it is popular today to find as much fault with America as possible. Looking and only finding the negative. That is what is taught in our school system... The Fathers were not all bad they were human with some good ideas and some bad... I would bet my last dollar that those old guys were more 'Christian' then the ones we have had in the last 100 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
If one is working for the grovernment they are. However, that is not the issue in this thread, rather it's the military.
Yes, of course it is. I just wanted to see how far you would take your argument. I sure hope you are consistent and haven't used or in some other way depended on the services of such persons.

Well, yes, that's pretty much what it is all about. There are other organizations designed to do the "touchy-feely" work (Peace Corps, anyone?) But the military's primary duty is to defend this nation. They don't give those guys rifles and send them out to the field to plant potatoes with them.
Funny reply.There are some who actually pulled the trigger but didn't kill a soul. There are such people.

...as if the millitary is all about aim, shoot and kill.
@#$%

ok since i have been to country, tell me why americans dies there so that the locals have food? they die so that they can worship allah as they want to? they die so that they can vote.
@#$%
i have been shot for that reason. since korea most conflicts america has been in for a long time arent war against said enemy but once the key figures are removed and the threat contained it becomes a nation building act. that happened both in iraq and afghanistan.
@#$%
what we do isnt that much different then cops do except we have larger guns. i dont like these missions but its that way.
@#$%
You didn't understand my post. I said, the military thing is not all about fighting wars and killing enemies. Rescue operation (during natural disaster, this and that and many more) etc are all/part of the military activities.

I don't mean should as in they must but, if they want to serve their country in that manner, should they do so?

If it is ok to kill people to serve your country, is it ok to be a prostitute to serve the people who serve your country? One is killing, one is (hmmm) loving... Is it ok to be a drug dealer to serve the prostitue who serves the soldier? When we willingly break one law we break all laws.

"For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if you commit no adultery, yet if you kill, you are become a transgressor of the law." (James 2:10-11)

Do we just rip scriptures out of the bible when they don't suit us? Is that what the modern christianity has become? Have we all become wiser than the Apostles. Have we all replaced Christ? Are we now offering to God our own values, because His Son is no longer relevant? I can't believe the words that come out of Christians mouths.

"But I say to you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment." (Mathew 12:36)

If it is ok to kill people to serve your country, is it ok to be a prostitute to serve the people who serve your country? One is killing, one is (hmmm) loving... Is it ok to be a drug dealer to serve the prostitue who serves the soldier? When we willingly break one law we break all laws.

"For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if you commit no adultery, yet if you kill, you are become a transgressor of the law." (James 2:10-11)

Do we just rip scriptures out of the bible when they don't suit us? Is that what the modern christianity has become? Have we all become wiser than the Apostles. Have we all replaced Christ? Are we now offering to God our own values, because His Son is no longer relevant? I can't believe the words that come out of Christians mouths.

"But I say to you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment." (Mathew 12:36)

I asked the question mostly because I don't pretend that I have everything figured out. The one thing I've learned since becoming a Christian is that no one has everything figured out and that's why there are a range of views and loads of questions as demonstrated on virtually every thread on this site.

My Dad was in the British Army for over 15 years. Didn't serve on the front line, he was a baker. I have a massive respect for the military, it's not something I would ever do. I wish there wasn't a need for them but that's wishful thinking at the moment. I wouldn't criticize a Christian for joining the military, defending those who cannot defend themselves, defending the rights that we have, is not something I will ever criticize anyone for.

But the question is whether a Christian should serve in the military. Personally, I think that's between them and Christ but they won't be using force to defend Christ or his message and I think that's an important distinction.

But the question is whether a Christian should serve in the military.

The answer is no!

Jesus did not advocate serving two masters, or living by the sword, or being wrathful, or enforcing your political beliefs (or spiritual beliefs), or suing your brother, or striking back. It is completely delusional to get the gospel confused on these matters when Jesus made it so clear. Jesus was an Israelite. Why did he not get other Israelites (his disciples) to fight for His release? Why did the Apostles not fight to release Him? Why did they not fight for each other when they were being martyred? If you do not understand this fundamental principal, then most of the scriptures will go over your head. You might be able to quote them, but you won’t understand them.

There are many here who are teaching their own ideologies, which are the opposite of what Christ taught us, and it is easy to get caught up in the strong current and float with them. Either it is alright to kill or it is not. Either we live and die for our country, or we live and die for Christ. We cannot have two masters.

Tri

@#$%

@#$%
You didn't understand my post. I said, the military thing is not all about fighting wars and killing enemies. Rescue operation (during natural disaster, this and that and many more) etc are all/part of the military activities.
and during natural disasters we are also armed! i have done that stuff.people shoot as us while we try to help others.:o

if being in the military a sin then why doesnt the posters who agree with that move to some location on the earth where no goverment is needed that must ensure their freedom live as they see fit? law and order takes a sword not a bible.

when you go to that food line and also doctor whom works for the goverment its taken at times from person who wont pay taxes by force and with blood shed if needed.

When we willingly break one law we break all laws.

Try getting a better translation!

For He who said, "DO NOT COMMIT ADULTERY," also said, "DO NOT COMMIT MURDER." Now if you do not commit adultery, but do commit murder, you have become a transgressor of the law. James 2:11 (NASB)

And finally, for those who allege government is "evil", here is what Paul had to say about it:

Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God.

Therefore whoever resists authority has opposed the ordinance of God; and they who have opposed will receive condemnation upon themselves. For rulers are not a cause of fear for good behavior, but for evil.

Do you want to have no fear of authority? Do what is good and you will have praise from the same; for it is a minister of God to you for good.

But if you do what is evil, be afraid; for it does not bear the sword for nothing; for it is a minister of God, an avenger who brings wrath on the one who practices evil.

Therefore it is necessary to be in subjection, not only because of wrath, but also for conscience' sake. For because of this you also pay taxes, for rulers are servants of God, devoting themselves to this very thing. Render to all what is due them: tax to whom tax is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honor to whom honor. Romans 13:1-7 (NASB)

But if you do what is evil, be afraid; for it does not bear the sword for nothing; for it is a minister of God, an avenger who brings wrath on the one who practices evil.

Government as an avenger bearing the sword (military and police) to bring wrath on those who do evil.

Why should Christians not serve in such a noble capacity???

if being in the military a sin then why doesnt the posters who agree with that move to some location on the earth where no goverment is needed that must ensure their freedom live as they see fit? law and order takes a sword not a bible.

Why don't you join another religion that advocates war? Perhaps Confucius would be better for you, or communism? Christ did not advocate war. Christianity does not advocate war. Those who do advocate war are not teaching or believing in the message of Christ. We don't need to change Christian teachings for people who don't agree with Christ... just join another religion if you don't agree with the God of the Bible. He taught "turn the other cheek"; "He who lives by the sword will die by the sword", etc. You are obviously saying you don't agree with Jesus. That's fine, join a religion that teaches the things that tickle your ears; for Christ certainly did not advocate war, or military, or nationalism, or patriotism.

Tri

Last edited by a moderator:
Why don't you join another religion that advocates war?

No one is advocating for war. Those who serve in the military want it less than anyone else because they're the ones who are going to have to go spill their blood for the likes of you: those who don't appreciate or understand the sacrifice they make!

What an absurd comment to make especially in light of Romans 13!

adovacate war? really? i have had ptsd, nightmares. flashbacks. i can no longer till death or He comes or being healed be around fireworks. this july 4th i thought i would go and see the fireworks, instead i got a flash back when i heard the mortors. once i could tolerate but non stop, i nearly took cover and rushed out of there.

i know what war is and i HATE it. but i also know what it would be if there was no goverment that did maintain order. sure the armies can be used wrongly. i dont believe all americas wars were just.
but in general we dont go out and murder civilians without provacation. lets just say that i know alot more about how good even our gitmo detainess have it and how they are better fed there and in other facilities then at their own homes! yet we are the invaders and the bad guys.

you trust god dont you if the goverment is that evil why then do you live in the west and cry such things? sure its not perfect and i know that we have issues but man.would you rather have satan over you or godly men trying to rule peacefully? i prefer the later.

god ordained goverment and allows all that is good or bad for his good purposes.sir i hate violence, i dont watch gore. i dont watch much tv nor celebrate deaths even the muslims. others leaped with joy over bin laden's death. i didnt. justice was served but i dont feel joy over it only that one evil man is gone. i hope he did repent and will be in heaven, but if not then hell is where he will be.

i know what war is and i HATE it. but i also know what it would be if there was no goverment that did maintain order.

I appreciate that you have actual reasons for the way you feel; so do Muslims. That's not the point. What we want to know is what Jesus taught us, not what your experiences are, or what your or my opinions are. Some war mongers try to justify their attitudes by quoting Romans 13. This is like the devil quoting scripture out of context about "throw yourself off this mountain". Jesus did not advocate war or serving ceasar. Regardless of how things would turn out, we Christians cannot serve two masters. It is like trying to serve America in war and at the same time trying to serve Iran in war. You cannot. You will be considered a traitor by both countries. The earliest Christians did not allow soldiers into the church for the first 250 years (except slave soldiers who were forced by their masters). Everyone who was a free man resigned from the army before or immediately after baptism (see Tertullian [200 AD], On Military Crowns, chapter 11). That is what Christians need to decide; what is it that Christ taught, and what did the earliest Christians do in response to Christs teachings. Your or my opinion 2000 years later is of no value; only Christs.

I appreciate that you have actual reasons for the way you feel; so do Muslims. That's not the point. What we want to know is what Jesus taught us, not what your experiences are, or what your or my opinions are. Some war mongers try to justify their attitudes by quoting Romans 13. This is like the devil quoting scripture out of context about "throw yourself off this mountain". Jesus did not advocate war or serving ceasar. Regardless of how things would turn out, we Christians cannot serve two masters. It is like trying to serve America in war and at the same time trying to serve Iran in war. You cannot. You will be considered a traitor by both countries. The earliest Christians did not allow soldiers into the church for the first 250 years (except slave soldiers who were forced by their masters). Everyone who was a free man resigned from the army before or immediately after baptism (see Tertullian [200 AD], On Military Crowns, chapter 11). That is what Christians need to decide; what is it that Christ taught, and what did the earliest Christians do in response to Christs teachings. Your or my opinion 2000 years later is of no value; only Christs.
so because they didnt allow service in the doesnt mean we should now. paul uses his roman citizenship to save himself and also used it appeal to roman law. if serving is bad then so is also using your rights!

calling the cops to save yourself is just a sinful as you dressing provactavely or causing man to stumble. why would jesus tell you to obey the commands from the devil if the devil set speed limits. nor why would you build cars and design them or even fix them the devil also controls and regulates all that? all the colors and specs on safety are goverment mandates. i know im a mechanic. the light types are regulated(sealed beam etc)to what type of fluid is used in brakes to what wiring is used in the air bag system. if satan is that powerful then the logical conclusion is isolation. that isnt what jesus preached. he preached change the world via my word fix that which is corrupt via my word and also while it will fail it will demostrate my kingdom and souls will be saved.

context. roman laws and then wars for lusts. they know that
since you mention that about the wealthy elites doing that. bring forth the evidence that is suitable in a court and show me that you are able outside of opionion to convict men to death if need be.

you decry the evil of the military and yet like most of your types, blog on the invention of the very thing that said satan invented THE internet!

i do thing greed may play but i cant prove it since im not on the nsa nor allowed to see that intel. therefore i wont say that evil fat cats.you and i benefited from an evil war machine called hitler's regime. movies and also space exploration and jets come from his machinery and host of others.

war is seldom black and white

you decry the evil of the military and yet like most of your types, blog on the invention of the very thing that said satan invented THE internet!

Dearest child, you are blessed of God. I do not decry the evil of the military, or cars, or regulations, or the Internet. You have made too many quantum leaps. This is a tricky subject for people who have been patriots all their life. I meant no offence. God Bless.

Tri

Dearest child, you are blessed of God. I do not decry the evil of the military, or cars, or regulations, or the Internet. You have made too many quantum leaps. This is a tricky subject for people who have been patriots all their life. I meant no offence. God Bless.

Tri
you claim that stormcrow and i adovacate war? why is serving bad? the roman army was also the cops then as well. to whom came in took paul to felix? the roman local centurion with his 100 men!. that also mean one cant also serve as a cop.

Back