Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Should I goto church?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
B

Brandon

Really having a hard time walking into a church by myself. I have a anxiety to walk into new situations alone. I really want to go but then my anxiety kicks in and I dont go. I am a devout Christian that reads the word every day and prays about things that bother me. I just have a hard time walking into new situations by myself. My wife and kids all goto another church. They goto a Catholic Church. They all refuse to go with me even one time so I can be comfortable walking in. I pondered just going to their Church but I do not believe in what they believe. Should I just go against my convictions and goto their church or should I just sit home and read the word for myself. Thanks for the feedback

Their church?
Yes.
Search out the underground 'true' believers in their church, if there are any, and fellowship with them. Your wife and kids may just get into that group, too, and find some real truth.

I tend to resist compromise, but this may be your best option.

Don't let the fear of man keep you from pursuing your desire to go to church! Just walk through the door. Have a seat. Someone will come and break the ice with you before or after the service. You are a man, brother, take your life into your own hands. There's greater anxiety in looking back on wasted years, knowing you missed out on potentially life-changing events because you couldn't push forward. I used to be the same way until I forced myself to face these fears, and my whole life has changed. Doctors told me I had social anxiety and agoraphobia, I was medicated and counseled, none of it did a thing. The comfort zone is a nice place but nothing ever grows there. You gotta step out in faith. You have to realize that you're no better and no worse of than anyone else is, and you have as much of a right as anyone to go where you want to go, and do what you want to do, without fear.

I am by nature a very self-concious person too. But I have gotten over that in regard to visiting churches. I scope them out and if it ain't right I'm gone. Just last Sunday I walked out of a church during the third song that I was visiting for the first time. I figure they're probably as nervous and unsettled by me being there as I am being there. And if I leave they'll never see me again, and I'll never see them again. Done.

I am by nature a very self-concious person too. But I have gotten over that in regard to visiting churches. I scope them out and if it ain't right I'm gone. Just last Sunday I walked out of a church during the third song that I was visiting for the first time. I figure they're probably as nervous and unsettled by me being there as I am being there. And if I leave they'll never see me again, and I'll never see them again. Done.
Yep. No harm, no foul.

I recommend you attend their Bible studies. Skip the main service. If it's a big church they probably won't notice that you are not in the main meeting. I'm serious. I did this at a church for four or five years.

I recommend you attend their Bible studies. Skip the main service. If it's a big church they probably won't notice that you are not in the main meeting. I'm serious. I did this at a church for four or five years.
I used to go to a main service in one church and Bible study in another. There's nothing in the Bible about picking one church. Only mention in there is not to forsake the gathering of ourselves with one another. :)

Update. I didnt go, anxiety got me. But my wife did finally say she would go with me next week. Shes not happy aboutit but she said she would. At least I have something to look forward to next week.

Update. I didnt go, anxiety got me. But my wife did finally say she would go with me next week. Shes not happy aboutit but she said she would. At least I have something to look forward to next week.
Good to hear. God works in mysterious ways, as the saying goes. Who knows maybe your wife will like it and your entire family will attend. I pray God's Will be done and He grant you strength to be the guide for your family.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back