Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Should Women Preach The Word Of God ?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Lewis W said:
jgredline every pastor on TV is called a false something or the other. Fault can be found with just about everybody. .

On the other hand maybe they are false teachers bringing about their own and the destruction of others. Novel thought. I guess as long as it's not Catholic anything goes.

Hey
Disagree with me all you want, but the fact is the bible says and teaches that women should not be pastors or teachers. Some of you have brought women you say are annointed as an example but no biblical proof. As for me I don't really care if you agree with me or not. I praise God that my church is built on the biblical platform and not a man made platform.
jg

I praise God that my church is built on the biblical platform and not a man made platform.

The one true church then. :roll: Your sure about that? All their interpretations are correct? Solo might disagree.

thessalonian said:
I praise God that my church is built on the biblical platform and not a man made platform.

The one true church then. :roll: Your sure about that? All their interpretations are correct? Solo might disagree.

Thess
What in the world are you talking about?

I once heard Paula White say she once catch a few STD's before she was saved...it seem out of place in pulpit and not really part of her sermon. :-?

I think that the Word should be the ultimate authority on this topic, and I want to be given over to it completely in this. I hear a lot of things beside Scripture being put forth in this thread, honestly. I can not agree unless someone can show me in the Word that I am wrong. I just want to fear God, and heed His Word on this matter, even if it is unpopular to do so. Even if people accuse me of setting women's rights back 100 years.

The last thing I want is to desire a man's role when God has given me such a special blessing as a woman, a wife, a mother, and a daughter. There are endless blessings in this, and being under the protection of my husband, and my brothers in the church, draws us close as a family. I wouldn't trade it for satan's cheap deceptive lies. There is also a blessing in having children, and nursing them, and raising them in the fear and admonition of the Lord, and that includes living God's design for family, and church, before them. I have been preserved in child bearing because I am raising Godly seed. All of this keeps me from the deceiver. The fullness of my blessing is in this, and not found in an attempt to side step the Word because I feel like I posess a special gift that entitles me to somehow be above it. That would be vain pride, and it is rooted in self...another of satan's deceptions. I do not say this pridefully, but knowing fully that all is by God's grace alone, and I have nothing to offer. I am so happy that He found me.

I know many women teachers, and they have such a beautiful anointing when teaching women...I just love it. I don't know if any of you have had the pleasure of hearing such a woman. There is a humility, and meekness, when sisters can share what God has taught them, and when they can encourage other women to live in this grace of God. I have heard one of the two ladies that have been mentioned here, and I do not want to speak against the lady, but I did not hear the truth, or consider her anointed...it rang very hallow. I will not mention her name, because it is my prayer that the Lord lead her into a place of obedience, where her gift is not stifled.

Gabby, the women being the first ones to go and share that Christ is risen is not an example of them usurping authority at all, nor is it going against God's command in Scripture of teaching over men in a pastoral position. This blessing on those women is not an example of God contradicting Himself. I listed quite a few women in Scripture in my first post that were used of God greatly, and they were not usurping authority but serving God with their gifts quite fully within proper parameters...more fully than had they been in rebellion, and dismissing the Word. This would be to seek their own glory above God.

I love all of you, and I know that we do not agree, but this is really about the Word, and not trying to side step it for sentimental notions of fairness. God's way is better, even when it seems like it won't be. I realized the full weight of that truth the day my late husband died. God is always doing us good. We do not look like the world, and in some cases must unlearn the world's philosophy in order to accept God's truth. I say this out of love, and a desire to share the truth of the Word. I love Him, and I love His truth, and I love all of you as well.

Men were not the first ones who told women to submit to their husbands, and to not be over men in the church teaching. It is the Word of God that says this, and it has been laid out here in the truth of Scripture to be possessed in our hearts fully, and willingly, in love. I appreciate the men who were willing to speak the truth of the Word in this thread. I suppose you they risk of being thought of as chauvinists. I do not feel that Noc, or j, or any others who have posted in truth, are demeaning women by speaking what is right. Instead, I feel that they have shown true brotherly love in giving Scripture, and sharing the truth in love.

I love you all, and the Lord bless you.

lovely

And I love you too, lovely. And I am going to study this subject harder, I just really hate to see good women preachers told that they should sit down. And not preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ. But right now I am pretty sad about this.
And Philadelphia is loaded with them, even my 14 year old son's mother is one.
But I will look into the Word of God further on this.

Lovely, while I would love to agree with you on this issue my main problem is seeing the number of women who have been given a true gift. Many times when a discussion on this forum is starting to get heated I've seen you come in and make a post that is just wonderful, Gabby has been doing the same thing too. Honestly, you have a wonderful way of putting things of God's word into perspective most of the time. I have a really hard time believing that God would give any woman such a great gift only to tell her that she couldn't use it. Lovely, I can't count the number of times where I've been trying to figure something out in a post and you come in and make a great post that puts things in perspective using God's word, you have a wonderful gift there.

I have to ask, has anyone that has made the claim that women should not be allowed to preach read the links that Lewis and I posted earlier? I'll post them again in case anyone would like to dispute them,

http://www.biblestudy.org/basicart/womspeak.html

http://www.cloudsofheaven.org/2006/03/w ... rship.html

Thank you Rob, I woke up this morning with renewed strength, let the day begin. And yes Rob they really do need to read the links.

The Bible plainly states that women have, in the past, served as prophets (Luke 2:36; Acts 21:9; 1 Corinthians 11:5), and even ministers, helping powerful evangelists to better learn the Way (Acts 18:24-28). Women are also destined to serve again as prophets in the end times (Acts 2:17-18).

Rob, and Lewis,

I will look again at the links again, and study the Word more too, and see what the Holy Spirit has to show me. Thank you, Rob, for asking me to do this. I know there are places where we agree a great deal, and disagreement is always an opportunity to be sharpened, isn't it? I have grown from both of you, thank you for that. I am sorry about my post, it was a bit emotional after re-reading it. This topic is so close to my heart because I find that I must die to myself quite a lot in this. I thank our Father for His grace to me. Lewis, and Rob, I respect that you all disagree, and stand for that, as well as Gabby, and others. I am also blessed by Gabby's posts very often, and several other women here as well. I am glad they share, and that God teaches us through them. Just to be clear, I am not saying that women can not share the Gospel, and utilize their gifts, but that those gifts flourish when used in full obedience to God in marriage, and the church. There are appropriate times for women to share, as with the examples in Scripture...in fact, we are called to, but leading the home, and the church, I am convinced that those are off limits according to the Word. As I said, I will look again at the links, and especially the Word. I do not want to confuse method and principal here. Lewis, you have such a great heart, and I know you love truth. Please do not be sad if God has shown you a truth that may contradict what many of our brothers, and sisters, may be doing. I know it can grieve us, but we should always rejoice when such an occasion presents itself...even if we stand alone. Our ways are never better than His, even it seems that they are for a season, and even if it seems that sin prevails because of our obedience. I hope both of you keep looking as well. Thank you both, all of you, for sharpening me. Lewis, and Rob, thank you both for being very gracious, and kind, in your responses to me here. The Lord Jesus bless you today.

lovely

As always, it is great to hear from you lovely. And I will let the Holy Ghost lead me in this. And I thank Jesus for you. Has anybody seen Nikki ?

Lewis W said:
I just really hate to see good women preachers told that they should sit down. And not preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ. But right now I am pretty sad about this.

Your 14-year-old son's mother?

I can't imagine a godly women even considering to enter the career of preaching.

Poke said:
Lewis W said:
I just really hate to see good women preachers told that they should sit down. And not preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ. But right now I am pretty sad about this.

Your 14-year-old son's mother?

I can't imagine a godly women even considering to enter the career of preaching.
Clarify

Lewis W said:

The Bible teaches that preaching is a role for men. A godly woman would respect that. Therefor, a woman minister has already proved she doesn't respect the Bible, just by choosing that career.

Lewis W said:
Thank you Rob, I woke up this morning with renewed strength, let the day begin. And yes Rob they really do need to read the links.

The Bible plainly states that women have, in the past, served as prophets (Luke 2:36; Acts 21:9; 1 Corinthians 11:5), and even ministers, helping powerful evangelists to better learn the Way (Acts 18:24-28). Women are also destined to serve again as prophets in the end times (Acts 2:17-18).

Lewis
A prophetess is not the same as a teacher / pastor
I took the liberty to look up these passages in contex and here are the definitions.
Look them up for yourself and remember to keep them in context.

Prophetess
4398 προφῆτις [prophetis /prof•ay•tis/] n f. From 4396; TDNT 6:781; TDNTA 952; GK 4739; Two occurrences; AV translates as “prophetess†twice. 1 a prophetess. 2 a woman to whom future events or things hidden from others are at times revealed, either by inspiration or by dreams and visions. 3 a female who declares or interprets oracles.

Teacher
1321 διδάσκω [didasko /did•as•ko/] v. A prolonged (causative) form of a primary verb dao (to learn); TDNT 2:135; TDNTA 161; GK 1438; 97 occurrences; AV translates as “teach†93 times, and “taught + 2258†four times. 1 to teach. 1A to hold discourse with others in order to instruct them, deliver didactic discourses. 1B to be a teacher. 1C to discharge the office of a teacher, conduct one’s self as a teacher. 2 to teach one. 2A to impart instruction. 2B instill doctrine into one. 2C the thing taught or enjoined. 2D to explain or expound a thing. 2F to teach one something.

Pastor / Shepard
4166 ποιμήν [poimen /poy•mane/] n m. Of uncertain affinity; TDNT 6:485; TDNTA 901; GK 4478; 18 occurrences; AV translates as “shepherd†15 times, “Shepherd†twice, and “pastor†once. 1 a herdsman, esp. a shepherd. 1A in the parable, he to whose care and control others have committed themselves, and whose precepts they follow. 2 metaph. 2A the presiding officer, manager, director, of any assembly: so of Christ the Head of the church. 2A1 of the overseers of the Christian assemblies. 2A2 of kings and princes. Additional Information: The tasks of a Near Eastern shepherd were: 1) to watch for enemies trying to attack the sheep; 2) to defend the sheep from attackers; 3) to heal the wounded and sick sheep; 4) to find and save lost or trapped sheep; 5) to love them, sharing their lives and so earning their trust. During World War II, a shepherd was a pilot who guided another pilot whose plane was partially disabled back to the base or carrier by flying alongside him to maintain visual contact.

PASTOR
The word “pastors†appears once in the KJV New Testament, in Ephesians 4:11, where it means “a shepherd of souls,†“a Christian minister.†Tyndale and Coverdale used “shepherd†at this point; the Geneva Bible was the first to use “pastor,†which the majority of all subsequent versions have retained.
In the KJV Old Testament, “pastor†appears eight times, all in Jeremiah, as a translation of the Hebrew word which elsewhere is translated “shepherd†sixty-two times and “herdman†seven times. These eight passages are Jeremiah 2:8; 3:15; 10:21; 12:10; 17:16; 22:22; 23:1–2, which all refer to those who care or should care, for the people.
Here, again, the Geneva Bible took the initiative. But the word “shepherd†also appears in twelve other passages of Jeremiah, and in ten of these the shepherds care for people rather than for animals. So there is no real basis for the Geneva Bible and the KJV to use “pastor†as if for a special, different group of people, and this is reflected in contemporary translations, which replace “pastors†with “shepherds†(although the NKJV uses “rulers†in Jeremiah 12:10; 22:22).
The KJV translation of Jeremiah 17:16, “I have not hastened from being a pastor to follow thee,†is based on a Hebrew word which can have two very different meanings, depending on the accent in the middle. Ràah is the participle of the verb “to shepherdâ€Â; ra’ah is a noun meaning “evil.†Both readings are possible; some scholars hold that the latter is more natural and fits the context better, and the RSV translated the verse as “I have not pressed thee to send e€Â
However, the majority of the more recent translations retain the word “shepherdâ€Â; for example, “I have not hurried away from being a shepherd who follows You†(NKJV; NASB, “from being a shepherd after Youâ€Â); “I have not run away from being your shepherd†(NIV; NRSV, “from being a shepherd in your serviceâ€Â).

Prophetess
4398 προφῆτις [prophetis /prof•ay•tis/] n f. From 4396; TDNT 6:781; TDNTA 952; GK 4739; Two occurrences; AV translates as “prophetess†twice. 1 a prophetess. 2 a woman to whom future events or things hidden from others are at times revealed, either by inspiration or by dreams and visions. 3 a female who declares or interprets oracles.
Most of the ones I see, teach and preach as well. And as for Poke's comments I am going to leave that one alone, because that is my son's mother and I respect her, even though I am married now and so is she we respect each other. And I did not care for the comment made about her. So to keep things down I do not want to discuss her anymore.

Lewis W said:
Prophetess
Most of the ones I see, teach and preach as well. And as for Poke's comments I am going to leave that one alone, because that is my son's mother and I respect her, even though I am married now and so is she we respect each other. And I did not care for the comment made about her. So to keep things down I do not want to discuss her anymore.

I Understand and completely agree with you on your exwife. This discussion is not about people but what the scripture says. Now I don't understand the rest of your reply. There was nothing there.

Prophetess
What I saying was, that the ones that I have seen and met. Teach and preach also.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back