Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Should women teach in the church?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
i am not Pentecostal but do feel all should be welcome to partake in the worship service ..i am suppose be Baptist. but mostly just forgiven . the disagreements are should a woman teach or preach. as per women preaching we can only go by scripture.
as per them teaching class including adults ..yes none of this has to do with being a Baptist.
Hi, although my father was an ordained Pentecostal minister, he ended his preaching days in a Baptist church, just a short distance from where we lived. Just thought I would mention it, sort of makes us brothers in Christ. :)

Do you know why they call them ministers? The word comes from the people who built minsters, way back. I have known some excellent female preachers. My world would have been like a spiritual desert without them. My grandmother on my mother's side was the driving force behind the building of the Nottingham Elim Four Square Pentecostal Church. God bless you.

Last edited:
There is no such thing as a woman having a God given right to teach men.
In fact quite the contrary. (1 Tim 2:12)
Read your Bible. Taking a single verse out of context is meaningless.

Women have a God-given right to teach men. Can you give a valid reason why this is not the case in the 21st century in Western society?

Women have a God-given right to teach men. Can you give a valid reason why this is not the case in the 21st century in Western society?
Just not with pastoral authority.

I will listen to a woman teacher. I have learned profound truth from women.
What I will not do is submit to the supposed authority of a woman over a man in the church.

I used to instantly resist going to a church that presented the man and his wife as 'pastors' of their church. But, with the state of things in the church today I'm making allowances for it. But if it comes down to obeying the supposed authority of the woman, I will not. And if they don't like it they can show me the door.

Hi, although my father was an ordained Pentecostal minister, he ended his preaching days in a Baptist church, just a short distance from where we lived. Just thought I would mention it, sort of makes us brothers in Christ. :)
i have friends all flavors all this dont sort of make us brothers. it does make us one lord one faith one baptism denom names are just name tags .that either fall off going up or burn off going down i have a friend i grew up around is Pentecostal lady preacher . i respect her for who she is and her me

i have friends all flavors all this dont sort of make us brothers. it does make us one lord one faith one baptism denom names are just name tags .that either fall off going up or burn off going down i have a friend i grew up around is Pentecostal lady preacher . i respect her for who she is and her me
Let me ask you, what would a woman say from the pulpit different from a man?

Not the Mosaic Law, but we are under Law to Christ.
Do you feel that Christians, now not under the Mosaic Law, can tell lies and still be judged worthy of eternal life?
I don't.

Yes, because the apostle Paul said so, with his reasons that I agree with.

Instead of blaming "incorrect doctrine" for your POV, why not just do as Paul exhorted?

Sounds good to me, but I include 1 Tim 2:12.
Why not take your own advice?
It would feel funny thanking God for the apostle Paul and all his writings if I was trying to change them to suit my own fleshly mind.
We are not under any law; we are free and are guided by the Holy Spirit that God gave us. There is no need for external, written instructions.

What kind of ridiculous question is this: "Do you feel that Christians, now not under the Mosaic Law, can tell lies and still be judged worthy of eternal life?" Do you actually expect me to answer such nonsense?

"Because the apostle Paul said so" is just reinventing the law. He also wrote, "Slaves, obey your human masters with fear and trembling, in the sincerity of your heart, as to Christ," So, if you're not a slave, you can disobey your master, i.e., your boss, correct?

Likewise, Paul wrote, "Masters, treat your slaves the same way, giving up the use of threats, because you know that both you and they have the same master in heaven, and there is no favoritism with him." But if you don't have slaves, you can mistreat them, correct?

You wrote, "It would feel funny thanking God for the apostle Paul and all his writings if I was trying to change them to suit my own fleshly mind." This is silly! The Bible must be interpreted! The Holy Spirit guides us spiritually so we think and behave according to God's will.

Taking Paul literally, as though everything he wrote applies to us today, is absurd. For example, since Paul didn't write about exceeding the speed limit, do you think it is okay to drive as fast as you want? How about texting others about indecent sexual matters? Paul didn't write about that either, so it must be okay, correct?

You should not turn the New Testament into a new kind of law!!! That includes 1 Timothy 2:12.

I used to instantly resist going to a church that presented the man and his wife as 'pastors' of their church. But, with the state of things in the church today I'm making allowances for it. But if it comes down to obeying the supposed authority of the woman, I will not. And if they don't like it they can show me the door.

Why go there in the first place?

Just not with pastoral authority.

I will listen to a woman teacher. I have learned profound truth from women.
What I will not do is submit to the supposed authority of a woman over a man in the church.
I would avoid anyone who throws their weight around, we are all servants of the Lord.

She may not glorify the supposed superiority of the male gender. She may tell the truth instead of propaganda.
Matthew Henry says, “Eve was not made out of his head to top him, she was not made out of his feet to be trampled upon by him, but out of his side to be equal to him, under his arm to be protected, and near his heart to be loved."

Why go there in the first place?
I would go if it's the kind of church I prefer. But if a woman was listed as a pastor or co-pastor I would not consider it any further. Maybe now I will out of necessity and in light of how things are in the church these days.

Matthew Henry says, “Eve was not made out of his head to top him, she was not made out of his feet to be trampled upon by him, but out of his side to be equal to him, under his arm to be protected, and near his heart to be loved."
The head of the woman is man. 1 Corinthians 11:3

The head of the woman is man. 1 Corinthians 11:3

If only we were like Jesus, who humbled himself and became one of us for the duration of His life with us. Equal to us in every way. Paul dealt with legalities and involved himself with keepers of the law, but he always gives us both sides, with the other side often being ignored by those with an axe to grind.

“The phrase “brotherly love” appears three times in the Pauline epistles (Romans 12:10; 1 Thessalonians 4:9; Hebrews 13:1) which teaches us to honour and love one another. Bible verses in Romans 13:10 teach us that love never does harm to its neighbour. In Romans 12:9, we read that our love must be without deceit and to keep our minds holding fast to that which is right and good.

Bible verses in Galatians 5:13 teach us to serve one another in love. In Ephesians 5:2, Paul instructs the believers to walk in love, just as Christ loved them by dying on the cross. Paul commands husbands to love their wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave His life on behalf of it (Ephesians 5:25).

We often sing a hymn in church with the words “O to be like thee, blessed redeemer...” God’s love for us was so great that he humbled himself and became like us for the duration of His life on earth, and an ever-faithful and loving husband needs to be the same for the light of his life, equal with her and at one with her every moment of the day. “Two souls with but a single thought; two hearts that beat as one.” — Friedrich Halm.

Let me ask you, what would a woman say from the pulpit different from a man?
i have no idea i can only go by what scripture has to say

1 Timothy 3:1 Context​

1This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work. 2A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach; 3Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous; 4One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;

i did not write the scriptures the apostle paul did. once again if a woman is to preach or not preach her works will be tried by the fire. if you want to support women preaching that has no effect on me.. there is a saying solo scripture .

I would go if it's the kind of church I prefer. But if a woman was listed as a pastor or co-pastor I would not consider it any further. Maybe now I will out of necessity and in light of how things are in the church these days.

Jethro,

The Revised English Bible, using a dynamic equivalence philosophy of translation, translates 1 Tim 2:12 (REB) as, "I do not permit a woman to teach or, more specifically, to impose authority over a man while first needing to learn, rather she is not to cause a disturbance."

If a pastor is "imposing authority" and she is female, it seems to violate Scripture.

Oz

It's the authority of the male gender that is superior as established by God. 1 Corinthians 11:3
But Paul wrote something entirely different to the church at Galatia, "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female—for all of you are one in Christ Jesus." Galatians 3:28

Obviously what Paul wrote applies differently in different situations. Making male superiority into some kind of doctrine based on a single verse has no validity. You do realize, don't you, that we are not living in the eastern Mediterranean society of 2,000 years ago, don't you?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back