Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Someone asked me to prove that God exists

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Our forced morality teaches us to treat the symptoms and not the problem.
I haven't anything differnt from Christian forces either.

Man will look for signs and wonders but he won't be given any.
Which means that this can easily also be attributed to Allah, Buddha, Krishna, etc. You have to have something to convince other people. Jesus in the Bible performed miricals in front of crowds. My experience is that most Christians don't want to bother demonstrating why they believe what they believe. Just saying.

If I can't see it, then I don't believe it.

That's a very common statement throughout the ages.

If I could only show you that if you opened your eyes you could see a whole new world.

But I can't do that for you.

The truth is that for someone of faith God is manifest in His creation. For those without faith, nothing will ever be good enough evidence. But, we shouldn't give up hope for those comfortable in their lack of faith. Saul experienced his "road to Damascus" epiphany, others have also, and many more will.

Yes, a closed minded person is going to think what they want regardless of our words or actions. I felt it was better to avoid wasting my time rather than being baited into an argument that wouldn't have any lasting effects.

1st I'd suggest getting to know the person a bit so you'll get an idea of whether or not they are open minded before you label them as close-minded. Also consider that if this person is asking the question in all honestly, what they likely are wanting is a solid reason why they should have the faith you have. WHat they may be saying is, "I know you believe this or that, tell me why I should believe in your belief."

Don't feel threatened by this line of questioning, instead see it as an opportunity to enlighten others while sharpening your own sword.

Yes, a closed minded person is going to think what they want regardless of our words or actions. I felt it was better to avoid wasting my time rather than being baited into an argument that wouldn't have any lasting effects.

1st I'd suggest getting to know the person a bit so you'll get an idea of whether or not they are open minded before you label them as close-minded. Also consider that if this person is asking the question in all honestly, what they likely are wanting is a solid reason why they should have the faith you have. WHat they may be saying is, "I know you believe this or that, tell me why I should believe in your belief."

Don't feel threatened by this line of questioning, instead see it as an opportunity to enlighten others while sharpening your own sword.

That's good advice in any case. However, arms folded, head bent to one side, one eyebrow raised, etc.. I was rather sure of their intentions. Body language and voice tone can speak volumes to someone who is trained to look for certain things - one of my doctorate degrees included extensive studies in psychology.

I would happily miss a whole day of work, and suffer the consequences thereof, to spend time with someone who actually wanted to learn. Sadly, that wasn't the case with this person.

I would like to give my advice on how to handle such a situation.

Short answer: Simply walk away.
Long answer: You can no more prove the existence of God to a closed-minded individual than you can prove the existence of a rainbow to a blind person.

Christians are to be as close to God as possible. God will never override free will so a Christian is not to override the free will of others. The main purpose of an argument is for each side to attempt to override the other. Since Christians are not to override the free will of others, Christians should not engage in arguing the bible. Teaching the bible, however, is a different matter entirely. The best course of action in a bible argument is to simply walk away.

Or, in a quote from my favorite movie, "the only winning move is not to play".

I really like this response. However, I usually tell people that God requires us to have faith. The more faith we have in God, the greater our blessings & rewards. IF God proved Himself to everyone, then there would be no more faith. Only evidence would remain. God has no need of people who have no faith.

I really like this response. However, I usually tell people that God requires us to have faith. The more faith we have in God, the greater our blessings & rewards. IF God proved Himself to everyone, then there would be no more faith. Only evidence would remain. God has no need of people who have no faith.
[MENTION=96216]cherovis[/MENTION]: What you say is wise. Faith in what the Scriptures promise is foundational, and after people can see that this is what motivates us, a lot of supposedly persuasive words won't serve for much.

Blessings.

Long answer: You can no more prove the existence of God to a closed-minded individual than you can prove the existence of a rainbow to a blind person.

Christians are to be as close to God as possible. God will never override free will so a Christian is not to override the free will of others. The main purpose of an argument is for each side to attempt to override the other. Since Christians are not to override the free will of others, Christians should not engage in arguing the bible. Teaching the bible, however, is a different matter entirely. The best course of action in a bible argument is to simply walk away.

Agreed. It doesn't take much to believe evidence, it's takes no effort and is comfortable. Believing on faith alone takes most people out of their comfort zone - which is where the problem arises. My psychology professor gave me a "tip" once; "A ship in a harbor is safe. But that isn't what ships are built for."

Last edited by a moderator:

Agreed. It doesn't take much to believe evidence, it's takes no effort and is comfortable. Believing on faith alone takes most people out of their comfort zone - which is where the problem arises. My psychology professor gave me a "tip" once; "A ship in a harbor is safe. But that isn't what ships are built for."

Wow man, so evidence is bad because it takes no effort and actually shows the truth?. I honestly wonder where would humanity fall if we lived in a world where we had only faith.

Wow man, so evidence is bad because it takes no effort and actually shows the truth?. I honestly wonder where would humanity fall if we lived in a world where we had only faith.

I fail to understand how you arrived at "evidence is bad", that was neither said nor implied in my post.

Is nonsensical. The faith we have is always based on something we've either experienced, been taught, witnessed, or want to believe. Faith is not a stand alone thing, it must have a foundation upon which it is built.

I can agree with this. Faith is not contrived out of thin air, it's foundation upon which it is built is the Word of God. The promises are in there, and considered by the mind of man, and then a choice is made to put ones trust or faith into it...and then experience and observation gives to it validity and indication of it's efficacy. The Spirit bears witness with our Spirit of the truthfulness of it, also.

...and the witness of Scripture to our conscience is vitally important also.

Blessings.

Back