Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Speaker's apology to LDS stirs up fuss

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
E

evanman

Richard Mouw, president of Fuller Theological Seminary, spoke Nov. 14 at the Tabernacle on Temple Square as part of an "Evening of Friendship." The meeting featured Christian philosopher Ravi Zacharias as the keynote speaker and was co-sponsored by a local group of evangelical ministers called Standing Together Ministries, and the Richard L. Evans Chair for Religious Understanding at Brigham Young University.

http://www.religionnewsblog.com/9927/Sp ... rs-up-fuss

Yeah, I had read about that before. What an utter disappointment on the part of Mouw. But I'm sure Ravi's words didn't portray the same.

Free said:
Yeah, I had read about that before. What an utter disappointment on the part of Mouw. But I'm sure Ravi's words didn't portray the same.

Yes, one should never apologize for having sinned against a well-known cult. They deserve everything they get. We all know this is not a matter or truth and justice but about picking what side you want to be on.

"Let us do evil that good may result."

What sin? Pointing out that they are not followers of Jesus?

Mormonism is a false Doctrine.

Smith, young and the rest of the presidents of the LDS have ALL been false prophets!

evanman, Free, Adams son, what denomonations do you belong to and where does thier authority come from? How were your doctrines and interpretations of scripture founded? How are your faiths not cults even though they do not conform completely to the Bible?

GOD'S ARMY,

A cult, from a Christian viewpoint, is a religious group which, although they claim affiliation with Christianity or Christ, does not adhere to the orthodox beliefs of Christianity.

Do you consider Mormonism to be Christian, that is, another Christian denomination?

Mormonism is one of the most Strict Christian Religions on the Earth. How would they not adhere to orthodox beliefs of Christianity?

Oh Wait...Polygamy in the 1800's???

THAT'S BECAUSE WE TRIED TO PRACTICE OUR BELIEFS IN A FREE COUNTRY AND WERE GETTING MURDERED BECAUSE OF IT AND HAD TO MOVE WEST. Dang right I'd have multiple wives if my existence dependended on it.

Religious Understanding at Brigham Young University

Now there is an oximoron if I never heard one.

What sin? Pointing out that they are not followers of Jesus? Mormonism is a false Doctrine. Smith, young and the rest of the presidents of the LDS have ALL been false prophets!

Amen and amen.

How are Mormons not followers of Jesus?

Becuase they follow a Jesus who is not that of the Bible, and more so they do not even follow him but the false profit Joe Smith.

They are not Christians, that is a fact.

Do you consider Mormonism to be Christian, that is, another Christian denomination?

Nope not at all, they need to be saved from the lie of the LDS Church.

# God is our Heavenly Father. He loves us and wants us to return to Him.
# Jesus Christ is the Son of God. He is our Savior. He redeems us from death by providing the Resurrection. He saves us from sin as we repent.
# Through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, we can return to live with God if we keep His commandments.
# The Holy Ghost helps us to recognize truth.
# The first principles and ordinances of the gospel are faith in Jesus Christ, repentance, baptism, and receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost.
# The Church of Jesus Christ has been restored to the earth.
# The priesthood authority of God exists in His Church today, just as it did in the original Church.
# The Bible and the Book of Mormon are the word of God.
# God reveals His will to prophets today, just as He did anciently.
# Our life has a sacred purpose.
# Families can be together forever.
# Through serving others, we can experience joy and draw closer to God.

Gordon B. Hinckley, President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, said:

"We are Christians in a very real sense and that is coming to be more and more widely recognized. Once upon a time people everywhere said we are not Christians. They have come to recognize that we are, and that we have a very vital and dynamic religion based on the teachings of Jesus Christ."

"We, of course, accept Jesus Christ as our Leader, our King, our Savior. The dominant figure in the history of the world, the only perfect Man who ever walked the earth, the living Son of the living God. He is our Savior and our Redeemer through whose atoning sacrifice has come the opportunity of eternal life."

"Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints pray and worship in the name of Jesus Christ. He is the center of our faith and the head of our Church. The Book of Mormon is Another Testament of Jesus Christ and witnesses of His divinity, His life, and His Atonement."

M. Russell Ballard, a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, said:

"There are many who say that Latter-day Saints believe in a 'different Jesus' than do other Christians and that we are therefore not 'Christian.' . . . We believe in the Jesus of the New Testament, and we believe what the New Testament teaches about Him. We do believe things about Jesus that other Christians do not believe, but that is because we know, through revelation, things about Jesus that others do not know. . . .

"What we want most of all is for Christian and non-Christian alike to understand that we love the Lord Jesus Christ. We revere His name. We count it a great honor and privilege to take upon ourselves the name of Christ as Christians and as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."

Gordon B. Hinckley, President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, said:

"We are not an institution which has broken away from the Roman Catholic or any other church. We are not part of a reformation. We declare that this is a Restoration. The teachings and organization of the Church are as they were anciently."

God is perfect, all-wise, and all-powerfulâ€â€the ruler of the universe. He is also merciful, kind, and just. He is our Father in Heaven. We are created in His image (Genesis 1:27). He has a body that looks like ours, but God’s body is immortal, perfected, and has a glory that words can't describe. Because we are His children, He knows and loves each of us individually. He has a plan to help His children find joy in this life and return to live with Him when this life is over.

http://www.mormon.org/question/faq/cate ... 16,00.html

It goes on and on and on buddy. Don't tell me what I believe, find out for yourself. You've obviously never been to an LDS church, mr Christian PRO.

The priesthood of the LDS has nothing to do with the Biblical Priesthood of ALL believers.

The temple rituals are nothing more than a rehashing of Masonic rituals.

Why do Mormons put occultic symbols on their architecture?

I do not follow any denomination, my church is independent of all denominational ties.

evanman said:
The priesthood of the LDS has nothing to do with the Biblical Priesthood of ALL believers.

The temple rituals are nothing more than a rehashing of Masonic rituals.

Why do Mormons put occultic symbols on their architecture?

I do not follow any denomination, my church is independent of all denominational ties.

The priesthood of the LDS church is what was written on the other tablet of stone given to moses! Do you really think God would let man forget about this?

MALACHI - CHAPTER 4
5 ¶ Behold, I will send• you Elijah• the prophet before• the coming of the great• and dreadful day• of the LORD:

6 And he shall turn the heart• of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite• the earth with a curse.

THE DOCTRINE AND COVENANTS

SECTION 2
An extract from the words of the angel Moroni to Joseph Smith the Prophet, while in the house of the Prophet’s father at Manchester, New York, on the evening of September 21, 1823. HC 1: 12. Moroni was the last of a long line of historians who had made the record that is now before the world as the Book of Mormon. Compare Malachi 4: 5â€â€6; also Sections 27: 9; 110: 13â€â€16; and 128: 18.

1 BEHOLD, I will reveal unto you the Priesthood, by the hand of Elijah• the prophet, before the coming of the great and dreadful• day of the Lord.

2 And he• shall plant in the hearts of the children the promises made to the fathers, and the hearts of the children shall turn to their fathers.

3 If it were not so, the whole earth• would be utterly wasted at his coming.

Occultic Symbols???

The Latter Day Saint temples are constructed by God's command...modeled after the original temple of SOLOMON!

The god of mormonism is a man who became a god and is one of counteless gods that rule over planets, whom the mormons say lives in a body of flesh and bones like ours with many wifes, procreating spirit children.

The God of the Bible the true and living God is Spirit, and has not a body of flesh and bones, he was NEVER a man that became a God, but God who for a short time became LIKE man to save us, but NEVER NEVER think that he was a man that was exahlted to godhood. And there is no other god, never has been and never will be.

# Jesus Christ is the Son of God. He is our Savior. He redeems us from death by providing the Resurrection. He saves us from sin as we repent.

This doctrine is almost true, but I know from the mormons litterature that I stomached to read, that "salvation" to a morman means that we are rased from the dead for judgement, at which time we are then sent to what ever level of heaven that we deserve according to our works.

The true meaning of being saved, is that according to our faith in the Lord Jesus his death on the cross paid for our sins, and in that faith we are going to be with him forever.

Oh, and by the way Jesus is God the Son, he is the creator of all things.

# Through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, we can return to live with God if we keep His commandments.

IF we keep his commandments ? And that is were you fall off the true gospel and into lies of works. We are saved by faith, not by works. It is not IF we keep his commandments, but becuase we have believed in him.

We are saved by grace through faith alone, and nothing else. Works do not save, have not saved and as the words says, no man was ever justified by the keeping of the law.

Oh and now we have the "burrning of the bussom" the Holy Spirit Illuminates that word of God, the holy Bible. He does not give us a feeling, he gives us an understanding.

The Bible is the ONLY word of God and the Holy Spirit of God Illuminates his word alone.

# The first principles and ordinances of the gospel are faith in Jesus Christ, repentance, baptism, and receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Sure, but when we examine what mormons mean when they say this we have a salvation by works and ritual. Not the true gospel at all.

Just a big lie.

# The priesthood authority of God exists in His Church today, just as it did in the original Church.

Another lie.

Nope the Bible is the Word of God, the BOM is a book written by a false profit. God does not contredict himslef, and the BOM is contrary to the Bible, and not only that the BOM has had hundreds of changes over the years, and the Bible has not. Despite the lies of the mormons leaders.

The Bible says that in the days of Old God Spoke through his profits, but in the ends days he spoke through his son Jesus. There are not such things as prophet such as they were in the OT, Jesus took care of that.

They spoke of HIM and he came. Done!

# Our life has a sacred purpose.

Sure, but that is not to be gods, and not to be exhalted. It is to worship God the one and the ONLY living God. And working to become a God is not worshiping God, it is heresy.

When we place our faith in the Lord Jesus we are given the right to be called sons and daughters of God. That is the true Jesus, not a false Christ.

We will live with our family forever, as brothers and sisters in Christ. But we will not be married and have the sort of family arrangements we have now.

# Through serving others, we can experience joy and draw closer to God.

Hmmm I am not sure what you mean by this, God says we are created to do good works which he has ordained for us before the begining of time. But I am thinking you are leaning more into that works orientated salvation again.

Was this before or after he had sex with young boys? Who cares what this guy said, he is a false prophet and a child molester.

That's not what we believe at all. I already TOLD you some things I believe, and all you did was add your opinion to them. Of course God is a spirit, and he has always been and will forever be. Did I say that he "procreates" children? NO! Did I say when we die we will be resurrected? NO...we only live in the flesh once.

What is your problem...I post some of my beliefs and you have to distort them for everyone else? You're not LDS, I am, I think I would know. So go be a know-it-all Christian Pro around your friends, but please, do not quote what I say and make a complete mockery out of it. Is that what Christ would do?

xkonradx s.f.,

Dang right I'd have multiple wives if my existence dependended on it.

Did the early Mormon's existence depend on having multiple wives?

How many God's are there?

Who is Yahweh of the OT?

Is Christ's atonement perfect and complete? That is, is it sufficient?

Who/what is the Holy Ghost?

Why did it need restoration?

How do you know the Bible is the Word of God? The Book of Mormon?

How does one determine true prophets from false?

Is there Scripture that supports this?

Do you consider Mormonism to be Christian, that is, another Christian denomination? Do you consider denominations outside of Mormonism to be Christian?

Take your time, there is a lot to answer.

evanman said:
The priethood of the LDS church has nothing to do with the fictional priesthood of all believers

Free said:
GOD'S ARMY,

A cult, from a Christian viewpoint, is a religious group which, although they claim affiliation with Christianity or Christ, does not adhere to the orthodox beliefs of Christianity.
What if the orthodox beliefs of Christianity had become apostate from God? If the fathers of the reformation had believed the Catholic church was orthodox they would not have left. How do you then know the religions they then founded were based on the true doctrines of God?

Christian, but not another Christian denomination. All other Christian churches are sects of an apostate church. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the restored church that Christ set up during His ministry.

Free said:
xkonradx s.f.,

Did the early Mormon's existence depend on having multiple wives?

Yes it did. Without a doubt. They were getting KILLED OFF!!! Not to mention they had to journey across the united states with just the clothes on their backs and oxen-carts.

How many God's are there?

There is one God, did I say there was more then one?

Who is Yahweh of the OT?

I don't refer to it as Yahweh, but i'm assuming Moses.

Is Christ's atonement perfect and complete? That is, is it sufficient?

Yes it is sufficient.

Who/what is the Holy Ghost?

The holy spirit, given to all members who recieve a Confirmation (after baptism)

Why did it need restoration?

Because the priesthood needed to be restored before the Second Coming of Christ. He will not come until the Gospel is in EVERY country.

How do you know the Bible is the Word of God? The Book of Mormon?

I know because I read it and believe it. If you read the Book of Mormon in it's entirety, You'd probably know also. Try praying about it.

How does one determine true prophets from false?

God's prophets must hold the priesthood of Melchisedech. There is only one true prophet on the earth today.

Is there Scripture that supports this?

There is in the Book of Mormon, but why should I site it if you don't hold the book valid as it is?

Do you consider Mormonism to be Christian, that is, another Christian denomination? Do you consider denominations outside of Mormonism to be Christian?

I am a Christian. I am not a protestant. The church did not derive from any other religion. The closest thing to Mormonism is Judaism. Judiasm was God's religion before they rejected Christ. Before Christ, one family sailed from Jerusalem to the American Continent, bringing the Priesthood to the Americas. Thus brings to pass the story of the Book of Mormon.

Take your time, there is a lot to answer.

Some of the Many Changes in the
Book of Mormon

Joseph Smith said "that the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book" (History of the Church, Vol. 4, page 461). Allegedly it was translated by the power of God. Nevertheless, it has some 4,000 changes in it. Some are mere spelling corrections, but others are significant changes. Why is this so if the book of Mormon was translated accurately by the hand of God? Why would the Mormon Church continue to change the work even after Joseph Smith's death?

Following is a very small sample of the changes in the Book of Mormon.
Check them out for yourself.

1830 Edition of the Book of Mormon
1981 Edition of the Book of Mormon

1 Nephi 11:18 "And he said unto me, Behold, the virgin which thou seest, is the mother of [. . . . ] God, after the manner of the flesh

"And he said unto me: Behold, the virgin whom thou seest is the mother of the Son of God, after the manner of the flesh."

1 Nephi 11:21 "And the angel said unto me, behold the Lamb of God, yea, even the [. . . . ] Eternal Father!..."

"And the angel said unto me: Behold the Lamb of God, yea, even the Son of the Eternal Father!..."

1 Nephi 11:32 "...And I looked and beheld the Lamb of God, that he was taken by the people; yea, [. . . . ] the Everlasting God, was judged of the world..."

"...And I looked and beheld the Lamb of God, that he was taken by the people; yea, the Son of the everlasting God was judged of the world..."

1 Nephi 13:40 "...and shall make known to all kindreds, tongues, and people, that the Lamb of God is [. . . . ] the Eternal Father and the Savior of the world..."

"...and shall make known to all kindreds, tongues, and people that the Lamb of God is the Son of the Eternal Father, and the Savior of the World..."

1 Nephi 19:20 "...for had not the Lord been merciful, to shew unto me concerning them, even as he had prophets of old; [. . . . ] for he surely..."

"...for had not the Lord been merciful, to show unto me concerning them, even as he had prophets of old, I should have perished also."

1 Nephi 20:1
changed in 1964 ed. "Hearken and hear this, O house of Jacob, which are called by the name of Israel, and are come forth out of the waters of Judah,[. . . . ] which swear..."

"Hearken and hear this, O house of Jacob, who are called by the name of Israel, and are come forth out of the waters of Judah, or out of the waters of baptism, who swear..."

Mosiah 21:28
changed in 1964 ed. "...king Benjamin had a gift from God, whereby he could interpret such engravings;..."

"...king Mosiah had a gift from God, whereby he could interpret such engravings;..."

Alma 29:4 "...yea, I know that he allotteth unto men, yea, decreeth unto them decrees which are unalterable, according to their wills..."

"...yea, I know that he allotteth unto men [ . . . .]according to their wills..."

Alma 46:40 "...because of the excellent qualities of the many plants and roots which God had prepared, to remove the cause of diseases which was subsequent to man by the nature of the climate."

"...because of the excellent qualities of the many plants and roots which God had prepared to removed the cause of diseases, to which men were subject by the nature of the climate."

3 Nephi 3:23 "And the land which was appointed was the land of Zarahemla, and the land which was between the land of Zarahemla and the land Bountiful."

"And the land which was appointed was the land of Zarahemla [ . . . .] and the land Bountiful..."

3 Nephi 10:4 "O ye people of these great cities which have fallen which are a descendant of Jacob; yea which are of the house of Israel; O ye people of the house of Israel, how oft have I gathered you..."

"O ye people of these great cities which have fallen, who are descendants of Jacob, yea, who are of the house of Israel, [. . . . ] how oft have I gathered you..."

3 Nephi 16:10 "and thus commandeth the Father that I should say unto you at that day, When the Gentiles shall sin against my Gospel, and shall subject the fulness of my Gospel, and shall be lifted up..."

"And thus commandeth the Father that I should say unto you: At that day when the Gentiles shall sin against my gospel,[. . . . ] and shall be lifted up..."

3 Nephi 22:4 "...for thou shalt forget the shame of thy youth, [. . . . ] and shalt not remember the reproach of thy widowhood any more."

"...for thou shalt forget the shame of thy youth, and shalt not remember the reproach of thy youth, and shalt not remember the reproach of thy widowhood any more."

Ether 9:2 "...nevertheless, the Lord was merciful unto Omer, and also to his sons and to his daughters, which were not, or which did not seek his destruction."

"Nevertheless, the Lord was merciful unto Omer, and also to his sons, and to his daughters [. . . . ] who did not seek his destruction."

As you can see, the Book of Mormon is a changing document. Where will the Mormon Church change it next?

The primary research for this information was taken from the book 3913 Changes in the Book of Mormon by Jerald and Sandra Tanner. To obtain copies of their work please write to Utah Lighthouse Ministry P.O. Box 1884 Salt Lake City, Utah 84110.

A logical proof that Mormonism is false

Mormonism teaches that God used to be a man on another world and that he became a god (this is called exaltation) and came to this world with his goddess wife.  He was able to become a god because he followed the laws and ordinances of the god he served on another world.  That god in turn was exalted by his god, who was exalted by his god, ad infinitum.  In other words, there is a progression of gods being formed as far back as you look in time.
     Truth does not contradict itself.  If I gave two statements about a subject and the two statements contradicted each other, then you would know something was wrong.  The law of non contradiction states that something cannot be both true and false in the same sense at the same time.  In other words, truth does not contradict itself.  This is basic logic.  That which is true is internally consistent and contains no logical impossibilities.  If something does contain a logical impossibility, then it cannot be true.
     Mormonism teaches an infinite regression of causes.  This means that it teaches that each god was made a god by a previous god.  This means that as far back as you look in time, this process has always been occurring.  This means that from an infinity of time in the past, the Mormon plan of exaltation (become gods) has been in effect.  The only problem is that this is logically impossible.  Since it is logically impossible, this means that Mormonism is false.  Let's look closer.
     There cannot be an infinite regression of causes.  It is logically impossible.  Why?  Because you can not cross an infinity. 
     In other words, in order for us to get to the present state of this god on this planet, there would have had to be an infinite number of exaltations in the past.  But, this cannot be because in order to get to the present, you would have to transverse an infinity of exaltations and that is impossible since you cannot transverse an infinity -- if you could cross (transverse) an infinity of time, then it isn't infinite.  Therefore, the Mormon system of infinite regressions of exaltations to godhood is impossible and Mormonism is proven false.  Simple.
     However, Mormons will not give in to a logical proof since their testimonies are not based on facts, but on what they claim is a testimony of the Holy Spirit.  Of course, all cult groups have testimonies that their church is true (proving that testimonies are contradictory and untrustworthy as a means to determining truth).  Nevertheless, they are taught to "feel" theological truth, not think it through.
     How then do they respond to this logical proof that Mormonism is false?  Normally they say that it is a mystery. Mysteries are fine, but they cannot suffice as an explanation if they contradict logic. In other words, if a principle is blatantly illogically, it cannot be true. Did you get that? It cannot be true. Saying it is a mystery means nothing if the proclamation of that mystery violates the laws of logic.  Mormonism is proven false.

What is the truth?

Okay, so if the Mormon principle of eternal regression of exaltations is logically impossible, then what is the truth?
     The truth is that there is a single uncaused cause.  Logic necessitates that there must be a single being who is without beginning and upon which time has no meaning or affect who is the single uncaused cause.  The Bible says that God is unchanging (unlike the Mormon god) and that he has been God from eternity.  This is exactly what logic necessitates as being true.  The God of Christianity is not an exalted man from another planet with a goddess wife.  The God of Christianity has always been God and has never been anything else. 
     Check out the following verses.

"For I, the LORD, do not change; therefore you, O sons of Jacob, are not consumed," (Mal. 3:6).

"Before the mountains were born or You gave birth to the earth and the world, Even from everlasting to everlasting, You are God," (Psalm 90:2).

What is sad is that this simple logical proof, and it is a proof that Mormonism is false, will mean basically nothing to those whose spiritual eyes have been blinded by the god of this world.

"And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing, 4 in whose case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving so that they might not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God," (2 Cor. 4:3-4).

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back