Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Photographs speedpaint

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

evenifigoalone

Fare thee well, Felicia
2024 Supporter
View attachment 3206
http://colliequest.deviantart.com/art/Shadow-speedpaint-369778014

Not sure if it's really appropriate to post fanart here or not, but anyway...
Shadow the hedgehog is probably my all time favorite Sonic character. He's kinda an antihero even though he's no longer working for the wrong side in the current game continuity. But I can't help but like him anyway.

And I really like how this pic turned out.
Time: Approx. 1 1/2 hrs.
Program: Photoshop Elements 5

View attachment 4211
http://colliequest.deviantart.com/art/Shadow-speedpaint-369778014

Not sure if it's really appropriate to post fanart here or not, but anyway...
Shadow the hedgehog is probably my all time favorite Sonic character. He's kinda an antihero even though he's no longer working for the wrong side in the current game continuity. But I can't help but like him anyway.

And I really like how this pic turned out.
Time: Approx. 1 1/2 hrs.
Program: Photoshop Elements 5

questdriven:

Well, very interesting, and I see too that you call the figure an antihero.

In a sense this verges onto pop art, I think, doesn't it? when one goes a little into the area of the theory of pop art.

Blessings.

PS: The dyed red hair streaks are effective, too!

When it comes to a character's personality, I don't think that has much to do with pop art.

I'll explain what I meant when I said that Shadow is sort of an antihero.
Shadow in the video games started out as one of the bad guys, but in the end he sacrificed himself to stop the main villain. But Sonic fans liked him so much that Sega brought Shadow back, saying he didn't really die, and all that. In his 2005 game, you can choose what to make him: a villain, a hero, or neutral. But then we find out in later games that the path that is considered canon is, if I remember correctly, the hero path. And he joins G.U.N., a sort of military outfit. In the game Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), we see that he is one of their agents.
In one of the most recent games, Sonic Free Riders, Shadow is portrayed as a not very nice character. But, that game is also not considered canon, so...eh.

So, he's not a villain anymore, and you could say that he is sort of on the good guy's side. But he also doesn't reflect the good guys' morals.

Last edited by a moderator:
When it comes to a character's personality, I don't think that has much to do with pop art.

I'll explain what I meant when I said that Shadow is sort of an antihero.
Shadow in the video games started out as one of the bad guys, but in the end he sacrificed himself to stop the main villain. But Sonic fans liked him so much that Sega brought Shadow back, saying he didn't really die, and all that. In his 2005 game, you can choose what to make him: a villain, a hero, or neutral. But then we find out in later games that the path that is considered canon is, if I remember correctly, the hero path. And he joins G.U.N., a sort of military outfit. In the game Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), we see that he is one of their agents.
In one of the most recent games, Sonic Free Riders, Shadow is portrayed as a not very nice character. But, that game is also not considered canon, so...eh.

So, he's not a villain anymore, and you could say that he is sort of on the good guy's side. But he also doesn't reflect the goof guys' morals.

questdriven:

Well, this is interesting.

Sort of a bit like the Medieval legends about Reynard the Fox.

What I was also thinking, I suppose, in a different application, was that an antihero can be interpreted as part of the commonplace, and in pop art what is superficially commonplace and unremarkable can be elevated into something of significance for the average person, by the use of strong contrasting colors, etc. But I can certainly see your explanation.

Looks like you are really into your drawing.

Blessings.

Good work.

I never played any of the Sonic games, but I like anti-hero types that are somewhere between good and bad. They are way more interesting than the real good guys. There are similar characters in other fictions and games and those characters are usually my favourites.

Great job on the painting, too. The right foot is bigger than to left one. :lol But the picture looks very 3 dimensional, that really amazing. It makes him kinda come alive. :yes I would guess that's because you did such an awesome job with the colour nuances and the light shading.

Yeah. I mean, Sonic is a kinda cool character and all, but there really isn't much to his personality. He's just the guy who defeats the bad guy and looks cool while doing it. (Well, some media other than the games might do a bit better job with this, like the comics or maybe some of the cartoons there used to be, but they aren't considered official canon as they were not made by Sega or Sonic Team.)
Shadow, on the other hand, well, there is at least some character development there and this creates some interesting things in his personality.

Shading is one of my favorite things to do with a drawing. :)

Yeah. I mean, Sonic is a kinda cool character and all, but there really isn't much to his personality. He's just the guy who defeats the bad guy and looks cool while doing it. (Well, some media other than the games might do a bit better job with this, like the comics or maybe some of the cartoons there used to be, but they aren't considered official canon as they were not made by Sega or Sonic Team.)
Shadow, on the other hand, well, there is at least some character development there and this creates some interesting things in his personality.

questdriven:

Shading is a real skill, I know. Do you use crayons for your shading? or maybe pastels? I guess if it's crayons, the HB thickness (or whatever it's called) can make a huge different. I know that some people even prefer charcoal as a medium because the sheer thickness makes a certain type of drawing and rough shading easier. Today I was hearing from someone in the tattoo industry about shading with needles; she indicated the thickness of the needle when the ink is is injected into you makes a lot of difference for the shading; there is one thickness for outlining and a different one for shading.

Blessings.

PS: I see you also use photoshop on the screen.

Well, this particular piece is digital art. Which is a little easier to work with than traditional art, in many ways.
I used a few different size brushes under the paint tool in photoshop. I went down to a 3 or 1 brush for small details.

On my traditional art, I often use colored pencils, often watercolor coloring pencils. Sometimes "regular" pencils, depending on what I'm working with. Or Copic markers, which was something I bought more recently.
Here's some examples of my shading in traditional drawings:
http://colliequest.deviantart.com/art/sketch-dump-realism-attempts-363027724
http://colliequest.deviantart.com/art/Testing-out-my-new-markers-366150146
http://colliequest.deviantart.com/art/Schubert-attempt-colored-366154265
http://colliequest.deviantart.com/art/come-to-You-in-pieces-363053775
http://colliequest.deviantart.com/art/sketch-dump-354765082

Well, this particular piece is digital art. Which is a little easier to work with than traditional art, in many ways.
I used a few different size brushes under the paint tool in photoshop. I went down to a 3 or 1 brush for small details.

On my traditional art, I often use colored pencils, often watercolor coloring pencils. Sometimes "regular" pencils, depending on what I'm working with. Or Copic markers, which was something I bought more recently.
Here's some examples of my shading in traditional drawings:
http://colliequest.deviantart.com/art/sketch-dump-realism-attempts-363027724
http://colliequest.deviantart.com/art/Testing-out-my-new-markers-366150146
http://colliequest.deviantart.com/art/Schubert-attempt-colored-366154265
http://colliequest.deviantart.com/art/come-to-You-in-pieces-363053775
http://colliequest.deviantart.com/art/sketch-dump-354765082

questdriven:

Well, you've been busy... :)

Blessings.

That's a bit of a problem with fantasy characters in general. It seems like 95% of all characters in fantasy fiction are either good, or bad. In our real life every person is ambivalent. That's why we like fantasy stories, they are more uncomplicated. But when looking at the characters they often lack depth. It's hard to identify with any of the characters. I guess that's why the few characters that are both good AND bad, or torn inbetween both sides, or change sides are often the ones fans love most. They are more tragical and thus more "human".

That's a bit of a problem with fantasy characters in general. It seems like 95% of all characters in fantasy fiction are either good, or bad. In our real life every person is ambivalent. That's why we like fantasy stories, they are more uncomplicated. But when looking at the characters they often lack depth. It's hard to identify with any of the characters. I guess that's why the few characters that are both good AND bad, or torn inbetween both sides, or change sides are often the ones fans love most. They are more tragical and thus more "human".

Claudya:

Yes, I agree, really; in some ways I prefer history to fiction. I also think the media in North American has an almost fictitious view of the affairs of the rest of the world (maybe because it tends to look at happenings from within the prism of its own cultural assumptions).

(But I guess I am getting away from Speedpaint now...)

Drawing historical figures can be interesting...

questdriven:

Sorry, what are Copic markers? (when I first read it, I thought it was Coptic; maybe indicating ornate Celtic-like cross designs, etc.)

Blessings.

questdriven:

Sorry, what are Copic markers? (when I first read it, I thought it was Coptic; maybe indicating ornate Celtic-like cross designs, etc.)

Blessings.
Really expensive, but really high quality line of markers. I got two packs, skin tones and primaries, plus a book on how to use them. Overall, it cost me over $100. And that was with a half off discount on one of the marker packs!

questdriven:

Blessings.
Really expensive, but really high quality line of markers. I got two packs, skin tones and primaries, plus a book on how to use them. Overall, it cost me over $100. And that was with a half off discount on one of the marker packs!

questdriven:

Ty. Well, my respects, you must be really dedicated if you're prepared to spend this sort of $$ on your artwork material. So the skin tones ones, what would they be typically used for?

Blessings.

It can be used for skin, as the name suggests, with the 6 markers in the pack ranging from light pink and light tan to brown. I've actually used them for fur, too, though. They are mostly what I used in this drawing here: http://colliequest.deviantart.com/art/Mittsy-366151490

questdriven:

Ah right, like, depicting the color of skin (rather than drawing on skin, facepainting, etc.)

Good link; you seem to make animals a specialty.

Blessings.

PS: [MENTION=89910]questdriven[/MENTION]: is the dog you did the drawing of, the one that is ill?

Back