Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Sports, Violates God's Commandment

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
J

Jay T

Isaiah 58:13 If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, [from] doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking [thine own] words:
58:14 Then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken [it].

Exodus 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

20:9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:

20:10 But the seventh day [is] the sabbath of the LORD thy God: [in it] thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that [is] within thy gates:
20:11 For [in] six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them [is], and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

AND REMEMBER......the sabbath will be kept in the New Heavens and the New Earth (Isaiah 66:22,23)....where there will be no sports.

Scott said:
You're too tightly wound JayT.... and legalism sucks. Don't drive yourself crazy.
You forget.....God's last day people are suppose to warn the world, of God's Judgment Day, and what will be required to pass, the Judgment Day of God.

As for 'Legalism'.....just remember that Jesus Christ, the Apostle Paul, all taugth the importance, of keeping God's commandments, in the Plan of Salvation.

Is it the last day? My understanding tells me that we have atleast 1007 years left here... most likely more. All the endtime forecasters who see everything as being so bad need to realize its always possible for things to get a whole lot worse.

The Bible doesn't warn against hobbies or having interests. But there are people who come around and try to push their controlling nature on others... to burden them with unnecessary rules not founded in any Biblical teaching. You take things to extremes. This is why we have monks locking themselves into their cubicles cutting themselves off from the outside world and lunatics ramming planes into buildings. We are human beings that have been given many freedoms but when you try to take away from that or add rules to negate that it becomes driven by a personal agenda... like power, control, & rebellion which often result in extremist thinking. We can fall in to different categories by either trivializing the momentus, or by complicating the obvious. The Bible was meant to be a guide, not chains in a prison cell. The world isn't just black & white, it has color.

2:15 Love not the world, neither the things [that are] in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

2:16 For all that [is] in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

2:17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

Scott wrote:
I love football!!

Jay T said:
You have made your choice.

doh2.gif

Jay T said:
You forget.....God's last day people are suppose to warn the world, of God's Judgment Day, and what will be required to pass, the Judgment Day of God.

As for 'Legalism'.....just remember that Jesus Christ, the Apostle Paul, all taugth the importance, of keeping God's commandments, in the Plan of Salvation.
Wrong. The Seventh-Day Adventist teachings are against the teachings of the Scriptures. The Seventh-Day Adventists were lied to by Ellen G. White concerning prophesy of Jesus return in 1844 and beyond, and now they are the bunch that God will use to warn mankind of the impending last days. I do not think so. First the Seventh-Day Adventist need to slip out of their pharisaical robes and hear the Holy Spirit guide them into repentence, belief, and following Jesus Christ into the Kingdom of God.

Here is what Jesus taught. Nothing was said about keeping the 10 commandments in order to be born of the Spirit.

5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. 7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. 8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit. John 3:5-8

How is one born of the Spirit? To hear the Word of God of the gospel of Jesus Christ which is that Jesus died on the cross for the sins of mankind, and was resurrected from the dead, and that whoever repents and believes will be given eternal life. The Holy Spirit will dwell within each believer, sealing them until the day of redemption.

And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel. Mark 1:15

In Acts 11, Peter describes that the Spirit bid him to go with six brothers into the man's house who had seen an angel direct him to find Simon Peter in Joppa, and to tell him that the angel said that he and all of his house would be saved. As soon as Peter started to speak, the Holy Spirit fell onto the man and his household, and just as the Apostles had been given the free gift, it also was given to the Gentiles, repentence unto life. These Gentiles did not follow the Mosaic law, nor were they saved by keeping the Mosaic law.

12 And the Spirit bade me go with them, nothing doubting. Moreover these six brethren accompanied me, and we entered into the man's house: 13 And he shewed us how he had seen an angel in his house, which stood and said unto him, Send men to Joppa, and call for Simon, whose surname is Peter; 14 Who shall tell thee words, whereby thou and all thy house shall be saved. 15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning. 16 Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost. 17 Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God? 18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life. Acts 11:12-18

37 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. 38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. 39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.) John 7:37-39

16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. John 14:16-17

The Holy Spirit never leaves a believer after one is born again. The Holy Spirit will abide within believers for ever. The Holy Spirit seals a believer until the redemption at the return of Jesus Christ. The Holy Spirit is the the promised "Earnest Payment" of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, paid for by the blood of Jesus Christ.

11 In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will: 12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ. 13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, 14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory. Ephesians 1:11-14

No where does the New Testament teach after Pentecost, that in order to be born again, one must keep the commandments given to Moses. No where in scriptures are Gentiles told to keep the Mosaic law in order to be saved. In fact, just the opposite is true. A true messenger from God, Luke, records in Acts exactly whether the Gentiles should keep the Law of Moses as the Israelites were required to do in the Old Covenant.

5 But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses.

6 And the apostles and elders came together for to consider of this matter. 7 And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe. 8 And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did unto us; 9 And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith. 10 Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear? 11 But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they. Acts 15:6-11

24 Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment: 25 It seemed good unto us, being assembled with one accord, to send chosen men unto you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul, 26 Men that have hazarded their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. 27 We have sent therefore Judas and Silas, who shall also tell you the same things by mouth. 28 For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things; 29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well. Acts 15:24-29

Scott, its good to see. I pray all is well with you? Have a Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Year.

Scott said:
There was a day when I made judgmental statements like that... so what else can you tell me Mr. gatekeeper?!
Whatever it is, it will have a Seventh Day Adventist false teaching "twang" to it. :wink:

:lol:, thats probably an accurate assessment. Thank you Judy, I am well. I hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas too!!

Relating to the Topic........

The tide of consequences that flowed from the transgression of our first parents is regarded by many as too awful a consequence for so small a sin, and they impeach the wisdom and justice of God in His dealings with man.

But if they would look more deeply into this question, they might discern their error.
God created man after His own likeness, free from sin.

The earth was to be peopled with beings only a little lower than the angels; but their obedience must be tested; for God would not permit the world to be filled with those who would disregard His law.

Yet, in His great mercy, He appointed Adam no severe test.
And the very lightness of the prohibition made the sin exceedingly great.

If Adam could not bear the smallest of tests, he could not have endured a greater trial had he been entrusted with higher responsibilities.

The problem with people these days is that they so blindly follow like sheep. They don't even know which way is the right way just that their way is right. Then when the path they are on reveals failure and false truths, those in heirarchy cover it up and rationalize the failure and provide propaganda to re-enslave the minds of those like zombies. You only believe what you been told, you've turned off your mind. Its like the day of the dead.

Jay T said:
Relating to the Topic........

The tide of consequences that flowed from the transgression of our first parents is regarded by many as too awful a consequence for so small a sin, and they impeach the wisdom and justice of God in His dealings with man.

But if they would look more deeply into this question, they might discern their error.
God created man after His own likeness, free from sin.

The earth was to be peopled with beings only a little lower than the angels; but their obedience must be tested; for God would not permit the world to be filled with those who would disregard His law.

Yet, in His great mercy, He appointed Adam no severe test.
And the very lightness of the prohibition made the sin exceedingly great.

If Adam could not bear the smallest of tests, he could not have endured a greater trial had he been entrusted with higher responsibilities.
<Emphasis in above Quote mine>

Who tests these peoples on the earth? The Scriptures say that God does not test anyone, but that tests and temptations come from the lusts of ones own flesh. Perhaps you have just sinned by contradicting the Scriptures again.

13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: 14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. 15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.
James 1:13-18

The Greek word πειραζομαι is translated tempt 29 times, try 4 times, tempter 2 times, prove 1 time, assay 1 time, examine 1 time, and go about 1 time. The definition of the word πειραζομαι (tempt) is assay, examine, go about, prove, tempt, try. God does none of what Jay T purports.

Scott said:
The problem with people these days is that they so blindly follow like sheep. They don't even know which way is the right way just that their way is right. Then when the path they are on reveals failure and false truths, those in heirarchy cover it up and rationalize the failure and provide propaganda to re-enslave the minds of those like zombies. You only believe what you been told, you've turned off your mind. Its like the day of the dead.
I know exactly what you mean !
Look at all the people that hold worship services on Sunday.

They totally ignore the fact that God(Christ) NEVER mentioned anything about it in regards to HIS resurrection.
It is NOT included in the GREAT Gospel commaission of Matthew 28:18,19.

It is based on works, trying to gain the favor of God, while ignoring what HE told people to do.

Actually, it is the results of a lack of studying God's word, to learn what God's will is.

Some so-called Christians, know more about sports, than what the Bible says......and, that will lead to FATAL results, in the Day of God's Judgment !

Jay T said:
Scott said:
I know exactly what you mean !
Look at all the people that hold worship services on Sunday.

They totally ignore the fact that God(Christ) NEVER mentioned anything about it in regards to HIS resurrection.
It is NOT included in the GREAT Gospel commaission of Matthew 28:18,19.

It is based on works, trying to gain the favor of God, while ignoring what HE told people to do.

Actually, it is the results of a lack of studying God's word, to learn what God's will is.

Some so-called Christians, know more about sports, than what the Bible says......and, that will lead to FATAL results, in the Day of God's Judgment !
Right on key, Jay T.

Just as I said, Scott! :biggrin

Solo said:
Scott said:
There was a day when I made judgmental statements like that... so what else can you tell me Mr. gatekeeper?!
Whatever it is, it will have a Seventh Day Adventist false teaching "twang" to it.

I could care less if people worship on Sunday or Saturday or Tuesday... I really don't lose any sleep over it. And just because you don't seem to have any interests or hobbies doesn't really matter to me either. When LT broke the TD record this season you weren't the first person I thought of. You're wrapped way to tightly and you've made yourself miserable. Just because you choose to dwell in it doesn't mean everyone else does. You're no gatekeeper, and you're not one of the 2 witnesses imparted with divine power or knowledge. The simple fact is that you had the wool pulled over your eyes, not with everything but with enough things that would certainly make me raise an eyebrow. Your problem is you are afraid to face uncertainty and question anything that isn't fact. I don't need to idolize and make a saint out of a datesetter. But you're in way to deep to ask questions... any questions now would be considered doubting, and we can't have that. But here's a suggestion, take it all and throw it in a fire... watch it burn. Watch the theories and excess all burn away... the truth in its purest form remains. I'm not afraid to live or learn in this life, because I'm convinced God didn't intend our lives to be a balancing act on a tightrope.

16:15 And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back