Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

St. Patrick's Day. Who is celebrating?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Knotical

Shepherd of the Knotical kid-farm
St Patrick's Day (March 17th) is probably the most recognized of the many Feast Days, followed closely by St Valentine's Day. This was a day set aside to commemorate an individual who was instrumental in spreading the good news of Salvation to an, as yet, untapped area of the world, Ireland. Though it is, as in many cases, quite unique how God brought about this occurrence. St Patrick was born in 387 AD to a rich family living on the island of Brittania (England) back when it was still controlled by the Romans. When he was about 16 years old he was abducted by Irish raiders and taken into captivity in Ireland. According to his Confession he had a dream where God told him to escape from his captivity and go back to Brittania. He successfully escaped and eventually made it a monastery in Gaul (France) where he studied to become a priest. In 432 he had another dream where God told him to go back to Ireland and spread the Gospel to the Pagan, Polytheistic, people living there. One noteable aspect of St Patrick's teaching methods was to use the shamrock (clover) to explain the Trinity.

One thing is certainly obvious when looking at this example of God's providence and mercy is how we can see God's hand throughout St Patrick's entire life and how He brought about His plan to spread His message of Salvation to another corner of the world. And as part of the observance of the feast day of St Patrick we can praise God and give Him glory for another miraculous example of faith and mercy. Of course it is not really miraculous for God, it just seems that way on a human level.

But what about what this feast day has become? What started out as a commemoration of the life of St Patrick became more of a celebration of Irish culture and heritage, and ultimately another "drinking holiday." Of course how you decide to celebrate is a matter of personal preference, but it is important why you are celebrating. As a Christian really the only reason to celebrate is to bring glory, honor and praise to God for the good work He accomplished through his servant, St Patrick. If it is just another reason to drink alcohol, and possibly get drunk, then some addition consideration should be made toward celebrating at all. There is nothing wrong with imbibing in alcoholic beverages as long as it is done in moderation. After all, you get an exemption from the Catholic Church during the Lent season's requirement of abstaining from drinking alcohol, so why not take advantage of it?

In regard to celebrating Irish culture, it seems rather odd that this should be celebrated on this holiday considering St Patrick was not even born in Ireland. Yes, St Patrick did become the Patron Saint of Ireland, but the focus is, arguably, in the wrong place when observing this feast day.

To reiterate, the only reason for a Christian to observe this feast day is to praise God for the work He did through St Patrick, in Ireland. Any other reason would be a waste of time.

Well, my real name is Patrick and I have some Irish blood, but I don't celebrate St. Patrick's day for just the reasons you mentioned--it's become just another excuse to get drunk. I can praise God for the work he's doing every day, I don't need a special day to do it. That being said, I usually wear something green just to keep people off my back :)

My name isn't Patrick .... but I am of Irish descent (half). I do not go out & drink in memory of St. Patrick, nor do I stay home & drink to his memory. Instead, I say a prayer of thanks that St Patrick was a true servant of our Lord, one who listened and obeyed when our Lord spoke to him. And I pray that my heart is always open to listen when our Lord speaks to me, and that I will obey in humble fashion.

The day has lost so much of it's original intent. It's become a time for drinking/getting drunk. And many of those who become inebriated have no actual knowledge of the extent of St Patrick's life. These people would be better served if they learned about his life, and the many challenges he faced while fulfilling the work he was given by our Lord.

Oh, silly me! To think it better to learn of his life than to hoist a glass to drink to his life .... well, maybe one of these years I might learn!

I started studying in Dublin a year and a half ago and how they celebrate St. Patrick's day really is sad. Last year I decided to go to the bar area of town just to see what it was like, and people were drinking like mad, urinating in public, and the street was filled with broken glass. At church it wasn't really celebrated, just mentioned briefly and that week we sung the old Irish hymn Be Thou My Vision.

Kinda sounds like what happens on many university campuses around the US during Unofficial St Patrick's Day .......... the actual St Pat's day is relatively mild in comparison

Traditional St. Patrick's Day toast:

"May the enemies of Ireland never eat bread nor drink whisky, but be tormented with itching without benefit of scratching."

To reiterate, the only reason for a Christian to observe this feast day is to praise God for the work He did through St Patrick, in Ireland. Any other reason
would be a waste of time.
Let me tell you why I observe this day...

1. For my Irish ancestors who fled Ireland during the great famine, trusting God in what would come good or ill.

2. For my Irish ancestors who fought in the Civil War, to make men free and better the lot of a people suffering bigotry in a majority Prodistant nation.

3. For my Irish fathers who fought in World War I, World War II, Korea and Vietnam.

If not for them and their faith in God, where would I be?

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me tell you why I observe this day...

1. For my Irish ancestors who fled Ireland during the great famine, trusting God in what would come good or ill.

2. For my Irish ancestors who fought in the Civil War, to make men free and better the lot of a people suffering bigotry in a majority Prodistant nation.

3. For my Irish fathers who fought in World War I, World War II, Korea and Vietnam.

If not for them and their faith in God, where would I be?

In other words, it has nothing to with what God did through St Patrick in your home country. Interesting.

I usually don't post much on the fact that I am half-Irish. I have done some research in my celtic side.

im of the county O'Rourke.i have in the past honored st. Patrick, and Ireland.

I told my mother what Ireland meant and she laughed since in latin it means land of the angry people.

I usually don't post much on the fact that I am half-Irish. I have done some research in my celtic side.

im of the county O'Rourke.i have in the past honored st. Patrick, and Ireland.

I told my mother what Ireland meant and she laughed since in latin it means land of the angry people.

That certainly makes sense. "Ire-Land"

erin is is gealic for green and also the name of the country. it is just that, very green. seen it when I went there to land in cork. I didn't get to see much.

Back